wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: Hans Christian Andersen's Tin Soldier here!

[Post New]by wyebank on Dec 5, 14 6:37 AM
Love it, love it, love it. It has all the bells and whistles that float my boat. Really beautiful colours and lovely music. Puts you right in the Christmas spirit. Will buy CE on Monday for double punches unless sale of CEs over weekend. Thank you BF
lets have an early Christmas present with this one please .

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: Hans Christian Andersen's Tin Soldier here!

[Post New]by sea_maid on Dec 5, 14 11:21 AM
Really wish I could recomment this.

The graphics are very sharp, the game does have a bunch of extras, but that can't compensate for the bland story. Unfortunately, this installment of the Christmas Stories is a rehash of the first Christmas Stories (The Nutcracker), but without the charm and originality of that one. It's basically the same story, with the Baron replacing the Rat King as the villain. Whereas the first one did a twist on the Nutcracker story, and was unique for that, this one just retreads the same ground as the first one (and many of the graphics aren't as impressive as that one, especially the castle). Not to mention the reuse of the Nutcracker music (they could have at least done a different soundtrack for this one). IMO, if the story had been made as a twist on the Tin Solder instead of a remake of the Nutcracker, it would have been much better. As it is, I can only recommend it because of all that the CE has in this installment. If you don't mind a retread of the first one, go ahead, but otherwise, steer clear of it.

[Post New]by idoubtit on Dec 5, 14 12:03 PM

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 2:44:44 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 5, 14 1:04 PM

Tin Soldier Rings Hollow

I liked the original Nutcracker game quite a bit. Visually the two games are remarkably similar. In fact, in that respect this one surpasses the first. However, not only did I not like this game, I actually disliked playing it and that is quite rare. I did not connect with any of the characters. As some have noted, the story line deals with some mature themes which is fine, yet the game play itself seemed to be aimed towards children.

There are plenty of things to do and find: cats, puzzle pieces, etc. though I found nearly half the 36 puzzle pieces by the end of the demo. The drawing and cut scenes are excellently done and there is an immersive atmosphere. But the characters and game play I found to be just too silly - even for a fantasy style adventure. And the puzzles were beyond tedious, particularly the one where you mix a potion. That seemed to be designed only to take as long as possible.

I won't be buying this as a CE or even SE. There are plenty of things in real life that can be annoying without purchasing one more. Sorry Tin Soldier, you're on your own this time.

Two 's

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Dec 5, 14 2:47 PM
This game is a delight.
If you enjoyed the previous Christmas Story game you will enjoy this one.
Beautiful and detailed graphics. Beautiful music. I love how every now and then out of nowhere a song will start playing such as Waltz of the Flowers I think it's called...?
Anyways, a heartwarming game for sure!
Beautiful HOPS.

Enjoy!!!!

Edited on 12/08/2014 at 8:32:25 PM PST

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Dec 5, 14 9:08 PM
the one thing I do not like about the game is if you miss any puzzle piecies you can not go back and find them.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 6, 14 10:17 AM
Love the game and has all the enjoyment of a Hans Christian Anderson story. The trial was over too fast and will have to buy the game so I can go on with the story. Like Christmas stories to get everyone in the spirit of Christmas. Has HOG's and puzzles to please everyone. Love the graphics and the tin soldiers and other cute characters.. Will give this 5 out of 5 stars..

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 6, 14 4:29 PM
I didn't care for this game as a Christmas story.... I can summarize my opinion by saying that using pretty, stylized Christmas graphics, throwing in snow & decorations does not a Christmas tale make.

Yes, the graphics were excellent, the sound was good, yet there was no 'Christmas" tale here IMHO, Hans Christian or otherwise.

It felt more as though I was more watching a cartoon rather than playing a "Christmas" themed game as it had literally no 'substance' that would deem it in that category and, in addition, what storyline was there was lost in too much busy craziness.

I didn't care for it at all.

Lilac13
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by Lilac13 on Dec 6, 14 9:11 PM
I bought and played this game based on how much I liked the previous ones: Nutcracker and Christmas Carol. This game was so below par!!! It was extremely short, the bonus games (2) were less than 10 minutes each, the challenge and enjoyment was completely absent. The only good thing, I got it on sale. I cannot recommend this game unless you get the SE w/ a PCC, otherwise don't bother!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 7, 14 9:35 AM
sea_maid wrote:Really wish I could recomment this.

The graphics are very sharp, the game does have a bunch of extras, but that can't compensate for the bland story. Unfortunately, this installment of the Christmas Stories is a rehash of the first Christmas Stories (The Nutcracker), but without the charm and originality of that one. It's basically the same story, with the Baron replacing the Rat King as the villain. Whereas the first one did a twist on the Nutcracker story, and was unique for that, this one just retreads the same ground as the first one (and many of the graphics aren't as impressive as that one, especially the castle). Not to mention the reuse of the Nutcracker music (they could have at least done a different soundtrack for this one). IMO, if the story had been made as a twist on the Tin Solder instead of a remake of the Nutcracker, it would have been much better. As it is, I can only recommend it because of all that the CE has in this installment. If you don't mind a retread of the first one, go ahead, but otherwise, steer clear of it.

Ditto

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Dec 8, 14 5:11 PM
What a Delightful time this game has given me!
Devs & BFG, bring me more,
bring me more!
Was so sad when it ended,
and I'm still humming the soundtracks
and recalling all the Wondrous sights/images/
characterizations//interactions,
etc.
Most excellent reprieve from the seemingly unending
long/dark/macabre` offerings
we have been presented for far too long!
* KUDOS *
=^,,^=
the kat
gma0trips

twin222
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by twin222 on Dec 10, 14 11:34 AM
PERFECT!!! beautiful, gorgeous graphics, wonderful music, cute figures and stories... very much like it!!!

no bug, no glitch - perfect gamethrough without anything disturbing... many thanks! to the developers as well as BF - more of these games please.

all games of this devs have been great. so it seems doable without bugs and glitches like in other games. FANTASTIC - very recommended!!

Edited on 12/10/2014 at 11:38:20 AM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Dec 16, 14 11:34 PM

Hans Christian Andersen's Tin Soldier ...Totally enjoyed this beautiful Christmas game, thank you for it
Everything was great And I am giving this CE a full out of 5

Played on PC with Win7/64bit

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Dec 17, 14 11:23 PM
Such fun and so pretty. Merry Christmas fishies.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 19, 14 7:21 PM
I don't know if I should be posting this to the review thread or just reply to the gamers having difficulty with the "potion "part of the game. I have given up and have no intention of buying this game in the future, as I have too much to do this Holiday season to have the patience to put up with such an aggravating part of what I was hoping to be a wonderful game. I have read all the problems that fishies are having with this particular part and I totally agree. VERY AGGRAVATING and totall disappointed with the Devs for putting such a teeth grinding, hair pulling, Banshee screaming mini-game (or whatever it is suppose to be) in the middle of what was quite an enjoyable game!! (think I went a little over the top!!!???) At any rate, I may return to this game after the holidays when I'm a little more relaxed and on some kind of medication!! (Only kidding, please BF don't delete my review!!

feenix

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Dec 20, 14 4:23 PM
Just finished playing this game and I thought I would like it more than I did. This game to me was just OK. After reading all the reviews, I really thought I would like it more, I really liked last years Nutcracker, I played that game a couple times. It had a lot of Christmas beauty in the game, but just was not as good as last years Nutcracker.
Have a very Merry Christmas Everyone

[Post New]by juliem17 on Dec 22, 14 11:25 AM
Enjoying playing game but disappointed because I wanted to play in Nutcracker's mode, but impossible to do anything, so had to change to Charlie's mode to actually get anywhere.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Dec 22, 14 10:10 PM
I have been looking forward to a new Christmas stories game all year so I was happy to see this one. I did love the game. But there were a couple of things that disappointed me. First was the length, I thought it was way to short. Even with the bonus chapters. And I didn't like the fact that I missed some of the puzzle pieces and couldn't go back. It was a beautiful game but it didn't come even close to the first one.

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Dec 27, 14 9:40 PM
One word: Magical. I loved this game (and all the other Christmas Story games). The graphics were spectacular, the story good. Really an enjoyable game.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 31, 14 9:31 PM
wonderful game for Christmas. great story. loved the cats.

Go to: