Joy007too
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Re:User Review - 3 Cards to Midnight

[Post New]by Joy007too on Sep 23, 09 11:31 PM
I enjoyed Chris and Aaron’s new game. As a Tex Murphy, fan it was great to hear Chris’ voice again. Now for my critique…. their take on HOG’s was fresh and interesting, the story line is good, and the puzzles were challenging (for me any way.)

This is my new favorite Big Fish game but there are some things they could improve starting with the ability to adjust the sound and to leave a chapter part way through and return to the same spot you left. I have not competed the game but did want to provide feedback. I look forward to more games from these two guys. They are the best.

[Post New]by HyperboleHunter on Nov 13, 09 7:37 PM
Nice to know I wasn't the only one with identification problems. Some of those items did not look like what I find around the house or in a store.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 23, 09 11:20 AM
I didn't enjoy the theme of this game; I'm just a bit tired of the divination/reincarnation/tarot/horoscopes/mystical/nostradamous/crystal balls/yogis type themes. It's like with "regular" gaming and all the demons, skulls, skeletons, dungeons, witches and ghosts. Ok ghosts are always pretty cool but I got so tired of the dungeon stuff that I started playing Star Wars Galaxies and played that for 3 years before becoming tired of the stormtroopers and rancors LOL.

Anyway yeah it's the theme that turned me off to this and I didn't even finish the trial which is a shame.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Dec 25, 09 8:59 PM
GREAT game - definitely my favorite non-MCF title. Loved the added difficulty of having to match up items with key words, and the storyline. Great work on the actors (the lisp was a little hard to take, but I got used to it, and now I'll be sad if Jess doesn't have the lisp in the sequel(s)) and the art work. I'm surprised there's not more love out there for this game....I just stumbled upon it while browsing. I see that there's talk of a sequel, and I hope it appears soon.

My only minor quibble - I really enjoyed the runes minigames, but with the second one, I correctly solved the puzzle, but the game wouldn't acknowledge. Perhaps I had an "O" that should have gone the other way, but there is no way for a gamer to tell that. Just a small complaint, though. Overall, FIVE OF FIVE STARS.

Edited on 12/25/2009 at 9:04:19 PM PST

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Jan 5, 10 10:50 AM
I can't say I like this game's new approach to HOG. It tries to be a verbal game instead of a visual game that a HOG should be.

I loved the Tex Murphy games that Chris Jones & company did, and they are obviously overqualified to make this kind of casual games. I hope they make money out of this so they can go back to full-blown adventure games as soon as they can.

I played the demo for the sequel "3 Cards to Deadtime" and it's an improvement - no more "word association", instead it has "find hidden objects by clues" that is more sensible for a HOG.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Mar 6, 10 4:46 PM
I just completed this game. I absolutely loved it! This was the first HOG where I actually cared about the lead character and what happened to it. It was extremely intelligently written and the use of words was very clever and different from all other hidden object games I've ever played (except of course for the sequel.)

Length of game was good, the puzzles related to the game. Everything about it was first rate. Very very pleased.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 7, 10 5:21 AM
Played the demo on challenge. I'm not speaking English badly but seriously considering to start over on easy after buying it.

Fresh approach? Yes. Intriguing storyline? Yes, if it continues that way. Challenging Puzzles? Yeah, loved the one with the zodiac. Sound? Yes, quite good.

However, are you really sure that this game is from 2009? I mean look what the graphical pinnacle of PC Gaming, Crysis (google some screenshots) did in 2007 and two years later they dare to offer me graphics that weren't out of place in 1995? And then even to find something in it? I mean I'm not expecting much from a casual game, but I don't want to have to guess what I'm clicking, but rather know what the item is supposed to be. Also, videos that take up only a quarter of a screen? Yeah, I played those games in 2000 I guess. Come on, give me full size video!

However fresh the approach might be, it can lead to confusion. Keywords Light and Day, a D on the wall. Hmmm, D-Light (delight)? *click* MEEEP! No, it was D-Day! and another miss went poof!

Bottom line: Yes, the game has potential and I'll buy it when I get a bunch of games together, but the jury is still out on it.

jaramilo
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jaramilo on May 8, 10 7:24 PM
Pluses are that game play is a bit non-linear, and the HOG portions at least make sense.

The storyline was my major reason for trying this game and I wasn't disappointed.

A 4 out of 5.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on May 14, 10 6:10 PM
This was a great and fun game. The characters has personalities which was nice. The games quality was refreshing, you can tell this was not thrown together overnight and rushed. I need to replay it, because there is a lot going on with the plot and I know I missed some things. Subtitles would had been a nice option. I do not see anything wrong with magic and tarot cards. I actually have a deck of my own. I find it refreshing that these creators take the time to study up on them before they made the game and have respect to those to use them.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 28, 10 9:42 AM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

I liked the twist on the HOG. It was definitely more challenging to do word associations rather than look for specific objects. It was a little frustrating though to click on an object that you know belongs with one of the words, only to find that you've clicked the object for the wrong word. I did appreciate the fact that if you ran out of hints, you could restart the hunt and eventually find all of the items and move on.

Having said that, the storyline didn't quite grab me and make me absolutely want the game. I enjoyed it well enough, but because I didn't walk away dying to know what was going to happen next, it's going to go on my "Maybe Someday" and not my "Must Have" list.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 8, 10 1:39 PM
Although I bought this game when it first game out I have only just got round to playing it . I quite liked the fact that you only had 3 or 4 words as a clue and had to find the objects that went with them ... eg royal and bank both went with blood.

Normally I play my games with the sound off because a) the TV is always on and b) I do not like the repetitious music on the majority of games.

Because there was no subtitles and you needed to hear what was being said I played it with the sound on which meant the music being on too because there was no option to turn it off.

This is one game that I am glad that that option wasn't there as the music really added to the spookiness of the game. I also found the human shadows outside the windows of the asylum really made the game feel creepy.

Overall it gets a from me.

C

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Jun 18, 10 10:24 PM
I played the one hour demo as part of the "I'm bored challenge". 3 Cards to Midnight is a large file game. It turned out to be quite different from other games I've played. There were scenes where you had to search for objects, but you are not given a list of objects to find. Instead, you have to find objects that are related to a word. For example, if given the word "house" you might search for a doghouse or a lighthouse. At first I thought of giving up, but I slowly got used to finding appropriate objects. There are some puzzles that required some thought, but not too challenging.

At the start of the game there seemed to be a lot of directions which might be intimidating to a new player, but did give a lot of information about how to play the game. There are three modes of play available: easy, challenge, and gamer, and there is a description of what each involves in terms of game play.

I think this would be a game that you would want to settle in and play for a longer period of time so that the flow of the story wouldn't be interrupted. After playing for the hour, I have decided to add this game to my wish list because it is interesting and seems to have a lot to offer.

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Jun 20, 10 9:18 PM
Really great game play. Loved the puzzles, the story, the challenges and the idea that you can play it several times over with different results.

Did NOT like the graphics. They were very "smeary" and cheap looking. Made the objects almost unidentifiable in a lot of cases. Also the sound track needs a major cleanup. Wish the hints weren't so scarce, but I made it through. Took me all day. lol.

Altogether, I'd give this one 4 out of 5 .

Kat

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Sep 17, 10 1:51 PM
I just finished playing this game for the first time (yeah. I know. I'm really, really behind. lol) and loved it. I always read everything, listen to everything anyway, but this story really hooked me. I loved the fact that the **** stuff was different and liked many of the puzzles. I'm very glad that the puzzles were able to be skipped. I thought the voice acting was quite good. I have a 17" monitor so I didn't have any problems with resolution. The credits were boring, though. I'll definitely be playing this one again.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 19, 10 7:03 AM
I thought this looked interesting so I downloaded the trial... and I found I still had 47 minutes left. Apparently I had tried this at an earlier time and didn't even last 10 minutes AND forgot about it completely. So I tried it again and discovered I really dislike word games like this.

Oh well.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Sep 19, 10 5:40 PM
I didn't like the game for the following reasons: Timed, no way to have the music lowered or off, mini games pretty hard, the robotic characters gave me the creeps.
I had a difficult time getting out of the game. Finally had to alt contrl del. The whole concept is great, it's something different and if redone I would like it better. The others seem to like it so that's great.

[Post New]by snoozanwillow on Sep 19, 10 8:53 PM
Ok i tried this game out as now on DD for $2.99. i played for half hour and then deleted it. The game doesnt play well with sound and diologue glitching. The graphics are also very bad no matter what res I used. Pitty as this would have been a great game if it had played well. I look forward to BF putting some fixes to the game as I really enjoyed the story and the game play idea. Sorry not a buy for me even for $2.99

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Sep 19, 10 11:48 PM
I enjoyed the puzzles but got SO bored with the endless talky-talk between sections. Enough already! Let me work the puzzles!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Sep 20, 10 7:50 AM
Well, I don't think I've ever failed so miserably with a game as I did with this one (apart from Safecracker, perhaps).

I think it was mainly because, being English, I just didn't know the American terms for the things I was looking for. What's a 'track ball'? And a 'pea coat'? And a 'Star 69'?

And as for the puzzles, I was lost and skipped most of them. I'm not into 'runes' and stuff.

A very well-put-together game though .. thoughtful storyline, good graphics (though some of the items were very tiny), and believable characters.

[Post New]by electricfish on Sep 21, 10 8:56 AM
A "track ball" is the ball in the bottom of a computer mouse, "star 69" is what you dial to call back the last number that connected to your phone, a "pea coat" is a wool sailor's coat.

I enjoyed this game, mostly. Like pretty much everyone else, I found the graphics in the HOG scenes to be terrible. When half the difficulty is trying to figure out what different blobs represent, there's something wrong, lol.

The faces on the people were horrifying, even when they were supposed to be at least somewhat attractive.

The ending was either anti-climactic, or I picked exactly the right cards, because the bad guy was dispatched without any trouble (or was he/she?). Hard to tell, because I couldn't understand a word it was saying.

Go to: