Regency Solitaire

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

Re:Regency Solitaire

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 11, 15 5:01 AM
@NancySusan Thanks for your thoughts (including the help icon) and kind words about the game. I'm glad our research and effort shows. Yes, the voice actor is great! Being British, we didn't want to have a fake accent, which would have annoyed us, so we found an actor who had just the right authentic voice, and it turned out very well!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 11, 15 5:05 AM
Thank you for explaining about the widescreen, husband of Helen.

I have a Sony Vaio widescreen laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution. I don't have a problem playing a card game in full screen, and I can see all the cards and all the other parts just fine.
I remember a game where I also couldn't play in widescreen, and some of the images at the sides were not fully visible, because I only saw the game in full screen. This doesn't happen with this game. Everything is where it should be. So no problem.

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 11, 15 5:08 AM
Ah glad to hear it. Yes the advantage of my system is that for sure everyone can see everything, there's nothing missing. I'm Jake btw :-)

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Feb 11, 15 5:11 AM
Oh yes Jake&Helen, an 'Are You Sure' button would be great for me.

Usually I hate them (especially in games where you have to click 6 times to close), but this time it would spare some heartache.

I don't know what happens in other Solitaire games, because I haven't been interested enough to play them - so it's all new, exciting and different for me.

[Post New]by CoordinationNOT on Feb 11, 15 5:23 AM
What a great game! I knew after the first hand I had to have this game. The story line had me hooked combined with the graphics. I don't listen to the music so I can't comment on that. Great job guys!!

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 11, 15 5:42 AM
Hurrah, thanks CoordinationNOT

Just a polite reminder that if you haven't left a star rating and review on the actual game page, we'd love it if you could. It will help potential players make up their minds. Thanks!

[Post New]by RegencyHelen on Feb 11, 15 6:04 AM
Blooming_Lilac wrote:

I'd love to see a game with a Medieval setting and characters, or Victorian England when Jack the Ripper was roaming the streets. I also enjoy Greek and Roman mythology, and I love the style of dress during the early (roaring) 20's.

Do you already have a story in mind for the next game? I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop next.

Yes I do indeed have a story in mind for the next game, also set in (slightly earlier...) historical England, but this time with a bit more adventure/mystery involved.

Your theme ideas are brilliant - I'm particularly drawn to the 1920s so that gives me food for thought, thanks!

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Feb 11, 15 7:24 AM
"Something else I was thinking, it seems like some people are having fun just playing casually and reading the story, but the game does get harder towards the end, even on normal mode. So maybe there should be an option to continue even if you don't meet the chapter goals? People who want the challenge can try again, and those who don't could just carry on. Good idea?"

I would like to reply to this suggestion. This is a good idea, because many times I play these games to unwind and de-stress, and being able to move on will do that. Other times I enjoy the challenge of replaying levels. So this would be a great addition in the next game. Thanks!

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Feb 11, 15 8:55 AM
I will be honest and say I wasn't even going to look at this game because I have a few "go to games". But this am, I clicked on the forums to see what people were saying and knew I just had to give it a try.

Its a great game. Good story line, good music and nice artwork.

Well done developers! I am off to buy!

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Feb 11, 15 2:18 PM
RegencyHelen wrote:
Blooming_Lilac wrote:

I'd love to see a game with a Medieval setting and characters, or Victorian England when Jack the Ripper was roaming the streets. I also enjoy Greek and Roman mythology, and I love the style of dress during the early (roaring) 20's.

Do you already have a story in mind for the next game? I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop next.

Yes I do indeed have a story in mind for the next game, also set in (slightly earlier...) historical England, but this time with a bit more adventure/mystery involved.

Your theme ideas are brilliant - I'm particularly drawn to the 1920s so that gives me food for thought, thanks!

That sounds interesting. It'll more than likely be an insta-buy for me, especially if I get to decorate or renovate something (like the items for Bella's ballroom). I'm all for a little mystery and adventure thrown in. :-)

Yeah, I think the style of the 1920s is so classy and elegant. When the Roaring Heights world was released for The Sims 3, I just had to buy it. I was saving up for the Boardwalk venue when my laptop started giving me fits, so I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Hopefully EA won't shut down the store now that TS4 is out.

Thanks for replying. :-) Best wishes to you and Jake for all that you do.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 11, 15 10:58 PM
You know what I also really like about this game? It's that when you have upgraded the cupid and he can shoot 2 arrows, but you only have one card left on the table, he will shot only the one arrow, and is still half full, which will allow you to be able to use him again much quicker next time instead of having to wait for him to fill up again completely.

--- --- ---

There is just one thing I don't like: that I am forced to buy an item in order to be able to buy another one. For example: I have to buy those windows and the curtains in order to buy the blue wallpaper.
I don't always want to use all the power-ups - it makes it too easy for me - and would have preferred it if I could have bought other things without first having to buy something else.

--- --- ---

Oh, and before I became more familiar with the characters, whenever I saw the character of Bella's father on the cards, I thought that he was a, well... not a gentleman, and he looks to me like he drinks too much. LOL
But then I realised that it was Bella's father. But he still looks more like a commoner than a gentleman, who enjoys his tipple.

Edited on 02/12/2015 at 12:51:45 AM PST

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 12, 15 4:27 AM
@Marinersfan04 Thanks for letting me know you like that idea of not needing to beat the chapter goals. I could do that in normal mode but in hard mode you must beat.

@valdy I'm glad you've noticed the little details like that. I thought it would be unfair to waste arrows and that would annoy players, so that seemed the best thing to do. Thanks for your thoughts about the upgrades, I can see why you want to challenge yourself like that for fun. One reason the items had to be in a certain order was just that we didn't have artwork for all possibilities, so you need the window before the blue walls otherwise it would look bad :-) That scene is very complex with many layers and I had to make sure that if people didn't buy things until right of the game, it still looked correct. Anyway, I will bear in mind what you say. Appreciate your feedback as always.

As for papa, well we know he likes his snacks (if you've read the feast table text). Also the text for the conservatory originally said about sipping a nice sherry in there (which is what I like to do at my in-law's house in their conservatory before Sunday lunch!) but we changed it to tea to avoid the alcohol reference.

Edited on 02/12/2015 at 4:29:03 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 12, 15 5:39 AM
LOL I knew papa was a hearty eater, but he definitely looks like he also has a fondness for a drop before, with, and after a meal.

I play every hand to get a Perfect each time - otherwise it's no fun for me. And while I play I can't wait for each level to finish so I can see how the story continues.

Thanks very much for the reply, Jake.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Feb 12, 15 10:17 AM
Valdy wrote:LOL I knew papa was a hearty eater, but he definitely looks like he also has a fondness for a drop before, with, and after a meal.

I play every hand to get a Perfect each time - otherwise it's no fun for me. And while I play I can't wait for each level to finish so I can see how the story continues.

Thanks very much for the reply, Jake.

That's exactly how I'm playing - all day as well. Luckily DH has been doing all the cooking for the last couple of days, but tomorrow it's up to me again.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 15, 15 12:58 PM
Another fishie fan here!
Only problem (and it is a minute one) is that sometimes the cards are placed almost upside down and I have an extremely hard time distinguishing 6 and 9!! So I am often getting the cards waving at me!!! oops!!!
As one of those perfectionists that does not move forward until she sees 3 stars this is a wonderful feature.
I find I am spending an inordinately obscene amount of time on this beautifully constructed game.
Jake and Helen - you should be soooo proud of each other
CANADA by way of London and Hove.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Feb 15, 15 4:00 PM
GreyAlienGames,I finally finished it.Love the story line and the happy ending.It's unusual in a solitaire game.Even thought we are used to voiceovers I didn't mind in this game.Thanks again For the game and your wifes great idea for this game ,look forward to more solitaire games from you.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 15 11:20 PM
Larissa_Jane wrote:Another fishie fan here!
Only problem (and it is a minute one) is that sometimes the cards are placed almost upside down and I have an extremely hard time distinguishing 6 and 9!! So I am often getting the cards waving at me!!! oops!!!
As one of those perfectionists that does not move forward until she sees 3 stars this is a wonderful feature.
I find I am spending an inordinately obscene amount of time on this beautifully constructed game.
Jake and Helen - you should be soooo proud of each other
CANADA by way of London and Hove.

I don't like it either. I don't like having to move my head from side to side to see the value of the cards properly. This is, in fact, a pet peeve of mine.

I have finished the game a couple of days ago, with a Perfect for each hand, and loved it. Will replay it again very soon.

GreyAlienGames
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by GreyAlienGames on Feb 16, 15 6:15 AM
@Larissa_Jane Thanks! We are indeed proud of each other and what we have achieved with this game. Yep we hear you about the 6/9 and will try to improve that with an underline in our next game.

@gamblebug CONGRATULATIONS! We're glad you liked the story and the game.

@valdy yes a few people have said they don't like looking at sideways cards (note that we never placed any upside down). The thing is you can make much more interesting and pretty designs with rotated cards, but maybe the trick is to only rotate them a bit, but never as far as sideways. We'll bear this in mind when designing levels for our next game.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Feb 16, 15 1:36 PM
I would say that this is the best solitaire game I've played, except that I can't replay one game without starting at the beginning of the level. I live in the real world where I'm interrupted by phone calls, an invalid husband who needs help, chores -- it never ends. And when I get back to the game, I sometimes forget to click replay and choose next instead. Expletive deleted! Please give us another game and don't change anything but this.

But two thumbs up for everything else. You rock!

DK

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Feb 16, 15 2:04 PM
6 and 9. yes they are a problem, aren t they.
but, sneaky you (jake and Helen)
Hand one for Woodland stroll took me 8 tries before I got through it !
Then hand two was breeze, 2 secs , well maybe 20 secs and I had completed it !
then came Hand three. ..... nuff said !
but, as you see I am still here.

people on the east coast must love you. all that snow ! and now have they have something to do on their computers, I-pads, tablets, etc. besides SHOP !!!

CANADA
16%C and loving it ! (is that mean)

Go to: