Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

Re:Please post you REVIEWS for House of 1000 Doors: Evil Inside Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Radgame on Mar 17, 15 2:16 PM
Based on completed game:

Too bad it's drowning in endless tech. issues because w/o facing any (played on Win7 HP 64-bit), it was a fabulous game. I hope when a fix is posted, players will give it another chance. I was hesitant to buy because others w/ same OS faced glitches.

It took 5 to 6 hours over 2 days (incl. bonus) using map to move and skipping a few puzzles. For the first time ever, I'm going to replay......I enjoyed it that much.

Somewhat of a Transformers meets RoboCop kinda theme = totally bizarre and right up my alley! Its approach was so different from the past few releases plus I have zero recall of the series. The long demo (took me 90 mins) really gave a feel for the game - thanks Devs!

The graphics/ themes (and there were so many.....!) are total whacko, ooze w/ colour, clear and crisp. HOPs were fun and most puzzles/ mini-games were really challenging. HOPs in bonus game are played twice.

TIPS: Extra step HOP items are NOT shown in diff. coloured text = may need random clicking. Plus + sign on inventory items doesn't change colour when add-on is ready - so, when map shows an active task available, check those + items too.

This will make a great SE when released.....approx 33 (if I recall correctly) locations in the main game and 11 in the bonus - 11 of the 48 hard-to-spot evil (pumpkin?) faces were in the bonus.

At first, tracing lines on each hand of light was tedious but, soon became routine. In the bonus, it's reduced to a "Light gun" - no tracing but a fairly irritating need to click on 4 diff. points around a target-like circle w/ green bands......

The cat helper wasn't overused (and isn't present in the bonus game) nor did it slow down game play.

My only complaint: The blinding light used EVERY time any of the tools (hand of light, chronograph, lens, light gun) were used or when I missed matching symbols (bonus game), etc. Way too excessive IMO.

This is one of those games that you'll either love or absolutely hate.....facing none of the endless tech. issues to aggravate, I loved it. So, was it worth it as a CE? Yes, only at 1/2 off the reg. price......w/o this, I'd recommend the SE.

ETA: Other details I remembered.

Edited on 03/24/2015 at 5:49:26 AM PST

karenmusik
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

Re:Please post you REVIEWS for House of 1000 Doors: Evil Inside Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by karenmusik on Mar 17, 15 7:27 PM
I was also disappointed in this game. Reasons (including some already stated by others

- Hand of Light - OMG - not a difficult thing to do, but really? Just plain annoying.
- Creepy faces - very difficult to see and didn't even know I was supposed to look for them until I hit one accidentally. So much for the tutorial on special features...
- The voice-overs - also annoying, especially our lead character. She has one of the those babyish overly bright voices that just drive me crazy.
- Not enough extras to qualify as a CE

There were elements I did like, such as the steampunk theme in the first door, the map, the HOs and most of the puzzles, so I may wait until this is an SE and use a free game credit.

[Post New]by shirley1111 on Mar 18, 15 4:56 PM
Like the other posters, I did not find this game of the same quality as the others. I did not have any technical issues, but I did not like the game. I especially did not like the ending. Kate became evil????? It left us hanging in mid air with no resolution.

I am glad there was a sale and I did not have to pay full price for the CE .

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Mar 18, 15 11:15 PM
One of these days, I suppose I will learn better...
had seen where another release in this Awesome Series was due out,
so jumped on it 'Like a Duck on a June Bug'.....
Big Mistake, as my immediate purchase was based on 'Rep',
and am sorely disappointed.
Fell so very short of the enjoyment and challenge of the 1st installments,
and basically all it was good for was a 'Short' Time-Killer.
After the 1st few times of using my 'Gift', I quickly tired of it...
and as for the use of my 'Gift' in the Bonus Chapter...
Did not like it from the get-go...
(Plus, the latter was difficult to control with any type of a handicap at all).
The story-line was lacking in creative flow,
the 'Faces' were often too well hidden in the shadows
(and so s-l-o-w to clear, that often wondered if I truly got it or not).
Sadly, overall, it seemed to me to be lacking in story, creativity, flow,
user-interface and 'finished-polish'.
It may appeal to some, so don't just take my word for it...
Try it for yourself first before you decide.
=^,,^=
the kat
gma0trips

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Mar 23, 15 1:54 PM
Adding my disappointment with this game. All of the graphics are outdated. Are you sure this isn't the first one rather than the fourth. I loved the others and foolishly bought this one. At least it was a buy one get one.

It is so slow and my cursor floats. Will uninstall now. Didn't even finish the first two scenes. Will not buy **** games after this.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 26, 15 7:51 AM
I've only just got round to trying this demo and I'm sorry to say it does not live up to the others in the series. I remember the first 'House Of 1000 Doors'; innovative, fresh and definitely worthy of the CE label. The second game was also really good, so what on earth happened with this one??

The colours are awful; garish and totally overdone. The game actually opened in a window; not seen that for years It can be adjusted to fit full screen but it shouldn't be necessary in this day and age. The direction arrow was huge and why on earth the devs felt it necessary to add that red 'stop' sign when an action was being performed is beyond me. Dreadful.

The 'Hand Of Light' felt like a clumsy plot addition and frankly the game was so dire I didn't play more than 15 minutes before escaping the horror of those colours and that ghastly stop sign. What a shame; another excellent series ruined

[Post New]by Short_Starfish on Mar 27, 15 2:44 AM
I was really looking forward to playing this and now can only add to the negative reviews despite being a fan of this series. The worst issue is the lag in the game which despite trying some of the fixes in the tech thread just would not go away and made the game painful to navigate. The "hand of light" is a dreadful gimmick and just plain boring, many of the puzzles were kids stuff and not up to scratch of what I would expect from this series. And where was the CE specials apart from finding spooky faces? Unless the tech issues are fixed this won't make my games list and even then only SE on a $2.99 special.

Edited on 03/27/2015 at 2:47:15 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 3, 15 5:58 AM
I thought the bonus chapter was terrible. Wasn't crazy about the main game, although I loved the previous games. But this one? The "hand of light" thing was just irritating. It had two puzzles that didn't work, including the last one in the bonus game! Had to skip through those. And the idiotic "cliffhanger" ending on top of the annoying light gun persuades me that I shouldn't try the next one - and there will obviously be a next one. I should have waited for the SE.

[Post New]by Claire_2 on Apr 3, 15 2:02 PM
I hardly know where to start in saying how disappointing this game is. House of 1000 Doors games have been my all-time favorites. I bought this one sight unseen because of all the others I have and have played over and over again. The lack of Beyond objects, my favorite feature, in itself is enough to peg my disappointment meter. The rest of my objections I will wait until I uninstall and re-install with the update fixes before I comment.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Apr 5, 15 3:01 PM
I found this game rather dull in comparison to other "house" games. Maybe this series should be retired.

[Post New]by dogbreedchch on Apr 12, 15 9:44 AM

Edited on 04/14/2015 at 6:41:14 PM PST

[Post New]by Angel8159 on Apr 14, 15 9:29 AM
First of all, like so many other people, I love the first three of this series. But this one is terrible. It's boring (nearly puts me to sleep). It has alot of bugs and glitches. I hate the hand of light thing there's nothing like that in the others. It is having problems with not dumping the memory (or whatever it's called) where it is in one scene and then doesn't dump it before going to the next scene causing your mouse icon to "float" and lag. it's using too much memory and eating it up. I have noticed that ALOT of people that have played the demo are NOT buying it. I wish I hadn't, but was so excited that there was a new one to the series I love so much that I just bought it. If you gave refunds I would ask for my money back and still might. I am seriously hoping you get in there and fix all the issues with the game. If not, I hope that everyone who bought this, like me, will ask for a refund, then maybe you'll fix it.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 15, 15 7:23 AM
Had to skip 2 puzzles that would freeze the game after I solved them, in order to get the reward
Plot was an excuse; this is just a search-and-destroy "story". Making the normally enigmatic and reclusive family into possessed bad guys then have them being gushingly grateful destroys what they are in terms of character - cheap and smacks of desperation
Fangy faces okay.
Generally, no go.

[Post New]by Claire_2 on Apr 17, 15 2:51 PM
Angel8159 wrote:First of all, like so many other people, I love the first three of this series. But this one is terrible. It's boring (nearly puts me to sleep). It has alot of bugs and glitches. I hate the hand of light thing there's nothing like that in the others. It is having problems with not dumping the memory (or whatever it's called) where it is in one scene and then doesn't dump it before going to the next scene causing your mouse icon to "float" and lag. it's using too much memory and eating it up. I have noticed that ALOT of people that have played the demo are NOT buying it. I wish I hadn't, but was so excited that there was a new one to the series I love so much that I just bought it. If you gave refunds I would ask for my money back and still might. I am seriously hoping you get in there and fix all the issues with the game. If not, I hope that everyone who bought this, like me, will ask for a refund, then maybe you'll fix it.

Yes, Angel, I would ask for my money back if I could. What a disappointment! I did the same thing. I was also so excited I didn't bother with the demo.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Apr 19, 15 7:47 PM
I like this game a great deal, while I think the first game of the House of 1000 Door series the best, I've enjoyed each title. I don't this game is as scary as it could have been, I would have liked a bit more in the way of horror elements--but all in all I think it's worth the money for fans of the series. It's not like anything any of the other developers are doing. I hope sincerely that they keep adding to this series.

I think the bonus game is critical to the game, but don't expect closure. I hope it's not long before the next game in the series comes out. I love all the 1000 series games, if you're a fan of the series do pick it up.

One other little irritating matter is that the bonus soundtrack, though it can be exported, is exported in a non-standard file format. It is neither a wave file or MP3, but has to be opened and converted if you would like to play it in iTunes by a 3rd party application. I had to use Sony Sound Forge Studio, there may be some free third party programs that can do the job as well, but you'd have to do a web search to find them. This should be corrected and reoffered as a correction by Big Fish so that the files are in a more accessible file format.

Edited on 04/28/2015 at 6:06:22 PM PST

[Post New]by gram_orboys on May 10, 15 11:50 PM
I enjoyed this game. I do have other 1000 door games. I just figured this was different as a new family member was joining in. The different places the portals took you were interesting. Wondering how the objects would tie together and {after 1st one} who you would be saving. Cat helped a lot - at least this one MINDS! If you base this on it's own you might like it more.

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on May 22, 15 9:10 PM
Wow, I have no idea what some people are talking about because this game is 100 times better than the previous versions. I guess maybe it was too difficult for them. It's good that BF offers all types of HOGs for different skill levels. I am tired of the complaints about the color scheme of a game though especially when they are so unfounded.

Also, contrary to what people are erroneously posting, hold down the mouse button when doing the "hand of light" for more control. This works especially well if you are having an issue with lagging.

Go to: