gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

Re:Mystic Diary: Lost Brother - Value for Money???

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 18, 09 9:05 PM
P.S.-- Maybe I'm incredibly slow but I have yet to complete a game in 2 hours. But even if I did, I would still consider it a good value for my money. Where else can you get that much entertainment, even if its just a couple of hours for you, for only $6.99 and in the comfort of your own home---meaning you can play in your pajamas, at any tme of day or night, not fight traffic, search for a parking space or use gas. Yeah, I call that a good value.

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

Mystic Diary: Lost Brother - Value for Money???

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on Jun 19, 09 4:57 AM
smudger29 wrote:I purchased this game because I enjoyed the demo, BUT I got through it in an hour and 5 mins - a total of 2hrs and 5 mins.

In my book this isnt value for money!

Smudger WELCOME to the pond WoW you must be really good at these HOG
Myself, I work at snail pace, so by the time I finish a game, I have totally forgot the beginning

HAVE A GREAT DAY I'M OFF TO PLAY WITH MY ZOMBIES AGAIN

pdebusk
Clownfish
Clownfish
745 Posts

[Post New]by pdebusk on Jun 19, 09 7:01 AM
The length of a game isn't a factor for me when I'm deciding what to buy. I am not interested in the score, or in "beating" the game. I like to go into a scene and stay awhile, have a look around. But, just yesterday, I finally finished "Abra Academy: Returning Cast" and I was ever so relieved. It felt as if I had been plodding through this one for ages! Even when I'm not enjoying myself, I have a thing about finishing a game before I go on to another one. I think I'd rather a game be a little on the short side than to keep going with no end or objective in sight.

seawitch98
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by seawitch98 on Jun 19, 09 7:17 AM
I too was on the fence about this game, but bought it today. I like the graphics and there were more positive than negative views. I thank you for your imput, it really helps when I try to decide what to spend my hard earned money on.
Keep up the good work.

Pythonette
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Pythonette on Jun 27, 09 8:59 PM
It's no good comparing $6.99 in entertainment value across other media, because this game was designed to be sold for $20. I hate to criticize, but, this game was not much of a challenge compared to other games of this ilk. I finished it in 2.5 hours and never had to look at a walkthrough, which really isn't the best deal for a hidden object/adventure game. The graphics are nice, but the story isn't very compelling. The worst part was the tedious exercise at the end of each chapter which required the player to scroll across the hidden image. Yawn. I'm glad others enjoyed it, but if there's a sequel, I hope they beef it up.

Edited on 06/27/2009 at 8:59:57 PM PST

nitram661
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by nitram661 on Jun 29, 09 7:10 AM
i loved the game!!! i just finished the demo. i'm glad i read the reveiws, if there are 25 chapters i'm buying it. i only got to chapter 12, so i'll start over and take my time.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Apr 7, 10 7:52 PM
I bought this game when it was a daily deal a couple of weeks ago. I finally got to play it today. I felt it was definitely worth the money. I did use on the average one hint per scene. Some I managed to finish without any hints, but I think one took more. The swirls that were uncovered after each location were used at the end. It also sounds like a sequel might be considered.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 10, 10 1:56 AM
Good game at Big Fish, $6.99 Same game at Wal-Mart or any other retailer, $19.99.You do the math.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on May 10, 10 2:31 AM
And from today for a week, it's only $2.99! I snapped it up (thank goodness I didn't buy it in the sale!).

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on May 10, 10 2:35 AM
WooHoo, it's the special of the day.... only $ 2.99, yay!

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on May 10, 10 2:40 AM
Me too, happy to get it at this price. Could not demo it when it was 1rst released as it will not run on my desktop pc. Now that I have a 2nd hand laptop with a different graphics card there are lots of games I can now get and enjoy.
I know folks have said it is very short but I like to take my time and the graphics look very good.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 10, 10 2:40 AM
I didn't even demo it. For 2.99, I snapped it up. Will go in my rainy day
to play list (I'm getting alot of those!)

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on May 10, 10 3:15 AM
I brought it at 6.99...I enjoyed the game even though a bit short...but at 2.99 its a bargain......

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 10, 10 6:46 AM
I bought this for $6.99 when it first came out on BF. Never was sorry, in fact played it several times. What impressed me the most were the charming hog scenes, like little paintings. After a run of clones and junkpiles I thought the originality of the artwork was a delight, and many were cleverly hidden, no busses on the ceiling or cells stuck on the drapes. I took my time on each one just admiring the care put in.

I wasn't that into the story, but it held the game together, but there was interaction and I didn't think it was too short for me. If you want challenge, we'll that's your preference in games, not necessarily a negative against the game in general. I like a game that is just an illustrated story, or no story if good illustrations. Have no idea how long it took me because I rarely play a game in just one sitting, too many interruptions. But I do try to dash thru a one hour demo to see more of what it's like. Then after buying I start over and slow down for continuity and relaxing.

I read there is a sequel due out this year and it's a sure buy for me.

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 6:50:36 AM PST

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on May 10, 10 7:26 AM
luvtoread wrote:I didn't even demo it. For 2.99, I snapped it up. Will go in my rainy day
to play list (I'm getting alot of those!)

That's exactly what I do. Being relatively new to the pond (less than a year), I snap up games that are DDs or the games on sale for the holidays and play away when there are weeks nothing new interests me. I'm building a library of super games that are old news to others, but new to this fishie in the pond.

Thanks BFG for sale opportunities.

At $2.99 today, this is a definitely a buy for me.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on May 10, 10 9:52 AM
Don't know how I missed this the first go-round, but have just completed the
demo and it's a definite buy at Catch of the Week. Probably would have
bought at $6.99 if I had not missed it. (That old computer gave me fits!)

Not a big fan of hunt by shape, but these are pretty clear and in another
thread, Calsmom let us know that about 1/3 are not by shape. So thanks for
that info. After two scenes, I slowed down to just enjoy the graphics.
Found it to be charming. Even managed to enjoy finding all those
creepy crawly things in the jungle! Lol.

Since I just started "Dire Grove" yesterday, this will be a nice one
to go to when I need to mellow

And Indy70, welcome to the Pond, look forward to seeing your posts, again

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 9:54:27 AM PST

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on May 10, 10 10:09 AM
I'm just about to demo this, but even if it's a bit short, it seems like it would be a good deal at $2.99, right?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 10, 10 7:20 PM
I had a bit of trouble with shapes instead of word lists the first time I played one. Now shapes are many times easier for me, especially when a word may have 2 or 3 different meanings and I'm looking for the wrong bow or compass.

Now I think they are a good idea since so many players aren't strong with the English language, (nor the devs) and we get into mixups between Amer and UK words LOL. Also, great for kids to learn new things as I wonder how some young kids even know a word yet. There was a review comment the other day about a 5 year old liking a game and I thought my word! That kid has to be a prodigy to understand that list of words.

I do like some games where you have the option for word or silouette instead of using hints. IF they are same perspective, They can help one learn English so the games are educational for the non English speaking, and no chance for mistranslations.

I also thought art styles were mixed in this game, as the rooms were not the style as the cutaway HOGs still lifes, some in rooms were very tiny, hard to spot on small monitor, but the others we very clear and a challenge for their cleverness and lots of items never seen before in games. Very interesting game.

Edited on 05/10/2010 at 7:21:44 PM PST

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on May 10, 10 7:36 PM
Just read the reviews and for $2.99 it's a buy for me even without a demo. Thanks BF for Monday and holiday specials. Also the daily deals. I prefer quality and like to take my time so this sounds like a plus for me.

Jan

cucumber89
Salmon
Salmon
2,807 Posts

[Post New]by cucumber89 on May 10, 10 8:16 PM
I tried it for about 10 minutes and it's a definite buy for me at $2.99. You just can't beat that!

Go to: