tb1uk
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ here!

[Post New]by tb1uk on Apr 10, 16 8:38 AM
i also can't play Dire Grove on W10.

the reason? it's DRM protected. W10 took that out. thats why it would never work.

i have checked a few of the BF games i have bought, many of them have DRM protection. so, will never work with W10.

to check a game, put the cd in the drive. install it. goto my pc and right click the C drive and left click "open in a new window" go to programs x86 and open the folder.

look for your game in the list and open the file.

2nd down on the list you will see "activation info" open it

if you see this,

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<ACTIVATION_INFO>

<VERSION>DRM1</VERSION>

</ACTIVATION_INFO>

your game won't play on w10.

[Post New]by caipininja on Jun 8, 16 12:43 PM
That's not true.
I have installed Prime Suspects which has the same activation_info.xml file and runs properly.

[Post New]by ItsDaniLyn on Jun 17, 16 6:53 PM
I too am having the issue with Dire Grove not working. What I don't understand is why it won't work in compatibility mode. That is what it is for, to tell the game to run like you're on a different windows version. That's how other games can be played so why not this one? And it can't be because of the system requirements list either because Ravenhearst only says Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 but I am able to play that one and it's one of the originals.

Edited on 06/17/2016 at 7:04:49 PM PST

[Post New]by Stardust3 on Sep 24, 16 7:30 AM
I was just planning to resume my MCF pilgrimage after a long hiatus.
6 years ago I played MCF to Dire Grove and it's so far the best game in the series. Now I wanted to play it again to continue my pilgrimage but it won't open on my Windows 10 laptop. I suspected since the beginning that the change of OS would prevent the game to operate and sadly it's true when I found out this forum. Well, Perhaps I'll just skip it, or play the game on my older laptop? Ahh, but my older laptop has smaller screen, that'll be no fun. Hufff.

[Post New]by Martrae on Sep 26, 16 11:26 AM
I, also, have been replaying the MCF on Win 10. Ravenhearst and Madame Fate had no issues. Return to Ravenhearst would not go full screen without changing resolution - the reason given was that it was too old, but it's newer than Ravenhearst and Madame Fate.

Now Dire Grove won't open. Again the reason given is it's too old. Sorry, if older MCF games play just fine this excuse doesn't hold water.

Looking at the posts BFG has known this was an issue for a year now and there still is no fix. That's ridiculous.

[Post New]by Seonag on Sep 27, 16 6:49 AM
I'm running W10, 64 bit. Like Martrae, I like replaying my MCF game series (In fact ALL my game series). I ran into the same problem with Return to Ravenhearst (small screen in upper right corner). After going back and forth with Tech Support, nothing was resolved (took almost 10 days to get a response to begin with). So that game is lost to me. Now I'm doing the Dire Grove series and the first game won't open. After reading the posts regarding this, it appears I've lost another game.

Personally, I think BFG needs to add "Does not run on Windows 10" to their System Requirements for games that did not transition from earlier versions!

[Post New]by trainer464 on Sep 27, 16 8:41 AM
YIKES! I just sent a message to Help about Dire Grove not running. Hmmm... should have checked here first.
I have same problem as most, and have been through the Ravenhursts and others. All other games I have also run on Win10, which I have been using about a year now.
I also have issue with my purchases of coupon each month. I get one, but when I order a game there is some 1/2 off, or other bargain, and they don't get used. How do I get rid of the automatic purchase? I don't want to close the account (I think) because I understand I just lose them at that point. Is this true? (Alert: not really a technical issue!)
Thanks all, and good luck to us......

Sirocco
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Sirocco on Oct 17, 16 12:56 PM
I am also experiencing the same problem with Dire Grove not opening on Windows 10 and BFG did respond quite promptly with the offer of a coupon and some hint that a fix might be in the pipeline but with no ETA. I am hoping since this is such a popular game and likely to remain so they will decide to make an updated version that will work on Windows 10. I would be willing to pay for a new version that worked. I was going to upgrade to a CE on the weekend sale when I noticed the comments about Windows 10 and decided not to purchase . My SE version also does not open. Dire Grove is a far superior game to many of the new games and its inclusion in the top 100 games for over 7 years says it all. I was looking forward to the CE version because I love the beyond objects and always regretted not buying the CE after I had played the game. My hope is that if Big Fish is flooded with request for an update by the 2,000,000 purchasers of this game they will decide to go the extra mile and make it work. I think it will be a best seller for all time and they would get their money back because when you join Big Fish within a few weeks you realize it is a must have game. I wonder who doesn't own a copy of this game? Anyone?

gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by gjnashif on Nov 1, 16 6:49 AM
I have addressed this issue with Big Fish support, several times, they never get back to me, all they do is send me a coupon for a free game.

Now today they have 65 percent off MCF games, and Dire Grove is among them, they need to post a warning, stating that Dire Grove is not windows 10 compatible. You can try Dr. Felix, and all the stuff they tell you to do, but it is an utter waste of time.

Big Fish Flat out does not care about you, they have never once, answered any of my emails concerning this issue. I do not want another coupon, I want my favorite MCF fixed so I can play it.

As a warning to all please demo each game from BFG and you will save yourself a world of hurt.

[Post New]by jenbailey1975 on Nov 1, 16 9:02 PM
I sure wish I would of read this thread before buying this game. . I too have windows 10 and it will not open. It is worthless to contact BIg Fish. Dealing with them is like hitting my head on a wall. DARNIT.

[Post New]by deeb424 on Nov 6, 16 4:13 AM
Sad thing about this is I have the entire Mystery Case Files (MCF) set. All of them work EXCEPT Dire Grove I like playing the games in succession of time and when I get to Dire grove I have to skip and go to 13th Skull and so on until Sacred Grove but if you've not played Dire Grove in awhile - some of the story gets stale. I want the story line. MCF games were the best games Big fish produced. Great story line and consistency.

What's upsetting is that "I" have to watch this forum for an answer "when" they get one. Which is weird, why is "THIS" game the only one not working?

Please Big Fish, when you get this fixed, send out a membership email on it - Dire Grove was just as great as Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst; Escape From Ravenhearst; Key to Ravenhearst and all the rest.

It's 2016, Win 10 was released July 2015. I can only hope that the release of Broken Hour will be working as well as Dire Grove on Windows 10.

teaset3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by teaset3 on Nov 26, 16 5:53 AM
This is one of your best games. Many people, including myself want to play it, but it is not compatible with windows 10. Since technology is always evolving, maybe you should evolve with it and update the game. I would think this game should be a priority!!

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Nov 27, 16 1:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us here. The appropriate teams are aware that some players are unable to play this game using Windows 10 and are investigating the issue. I am also going to make sure that the right teams are aware of the suggestions our players have made about this game and how it is presented on our website. While the Forum Moderation Team does not receive advance information about updates and does not have the tools to make in-game changes themselves, if we receive information about this game being updated, we will be sure to provide an announcement to our players.

In the meantime, we absolutely don't want you to be stuck with a game you are unable to play and if you are experiencing this game not working properly in Windows 10, please be sure to contact our Technical Support Team HERE with a Dr. Felix Report. This information can help out the teams investigating and our Reps can use the information to possibly provide additional troubleshooting support. In any case, they will certainly help make sure our players are not stuck with a game they cannot play and will help out as best they can as quickly as possible.

Thank you all for continuing to report the issues being experienced with this game here. If there are any further questions, please feel free to PM me or any of our other moderators. We are all happy to listen and help out as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

[Post New]by milehibat on Feb 5, 17 9:36 AM
I am playing on my ipad since the PC version will not work, and I am at the end of the game. I have lit the fire in the fireplace and have extinguished said fire, but no ashes appeared. I am very frustrated by this considering it is at the very end of the game. I am at the ruins puzzle but the ashes never showed up in the fireplace like they should have now I am unable to complete the game because of this error. Please Help.

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Apr 4, 17 12:57 PM
Hello milehibat,

First of all, thank you for your patience while waiting on a response. it sounds like the iOS version of Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ has a piece of a puzzle not showing up as expected. I'm sorry to hear that this is occurring, and I'd like to provide some general steps that may be able to assist, as well as how to contact our Technical Support Team should you still need assistance.

When a game seems to not be working on an iOS device, either due to it crashing or an item in game not working as expected, the following general steps may be able to resolve that issue quickly:

General Help for iPhone and iPad Games

For any problems that continue after trying those steps, we recommend contacting our Technical Support Team with the title of the game, the model of the device the issue is appearing on, as well as what version of operating system that device is running. Our Reps are always happy to help out and will do their best to get back in touch as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time, and if you've already reached out to our Technical Support Team, thank you for your patience. If there are any further questions, please feel free to PM me or any of our other active Moderators. We are all happy to listen and help out as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

[Post New]by ashes2167 on Apr 22, 17 9:55 PM
I also have issues with Dire Grove..........I have had it for a long time (thru having windows XP & 7) if I had realized that I would not be able to play it when I upgraded to windows 10 I would not have done it........I love my MCF and periodically run through all the games in order and I am not able to now even though it isn't my favorite one I still like playing them all

nyghtfn
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by nyghtfn on Apr 23, 17 5:10 PM
Dear Moderators,
How about starting a waiting list, to be emailed about a fix for windows 10 users, when available? I love this game enough, I would much rather wait for a fix, than replace it!
Thanks!!

[Post New]by CoronaMike on Apr 24, 17 5:51 PM
I agree with nyghtfn. Email notification would be nice.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Apr 25, 17 8:55 AM
It's now been a YEAR AND A HALF since Big Fish has been notified about Dire Grove not working on Windows 10 yet nothing has been done to correct the problem. WHY????? It is the most popular game in the entire MCF series and has continued to generate the highest positive reviews of all of them. Several of the moderators have said that the appropriate teams are aware of the problem and are investigating it yet no further word has come from them. Also, they said that they forwarded our suggestions about including a disclaimer on the DG game page saying that the game currently will not run under Windows 10 yet Big Fish hasn't done that either. Why not??? You continue to mislead customers with a game that currently does not work with the newest OS. Big Fish is the developer of Dire Grove and should still have the technology to resolve the Windows 10 issue. Where are all you tech savvy people working at Big Fish? Why do all the other games in the MCF series that came before and after Dire Grove work fine under Windows 10 but this one does not? Big Fish needs to find that one thing(s) that is unique to DG that the other games do not have and either remove it or update that feature(s) so that it is compatible with Windows 10 like the other games. I can't believe that it's taking so long. I also can't believe that they're choosing to just ignore the problem since their reputation is at stake but then it's been at stake ever since the changeover a few years ago. If I was a moderator, I know I'd be frustrated being caught in the middle like that with all the angry comments that continue to pour into the forums. I'd look for a different job. Meanwhile, needs to look into this.
----------------------
ETA: I, along with others here, did what I could to troubleshoot the Windows 10 problem myself. Uninstalling/reinstalling the game, using the compatibility wizard for all available versions, trying different resolutions in the display, opening the game within the program folder instead of the game manager, even reinstalling Adobe Flash Player, Shockwave, and Java did nothing to make Dire Grove open.

Edited on 04/25/2017 at 9:06:10 PM PST

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Apr 26, 17 1:19 PM
Someone posted a workaround for another game that worked for him/her:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/885353.page

Basically, you set compatibility mode not only for the game's executable, but also for the bfgclient, bfggameservices, and bfgprocess executable files. Try it and see if it works. I don't have Windows 10 so I can't try it. But I'm interested to know if this workaround could actually be a solution.

Go to: