No New updates

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

Re:No New updates

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on May 23, 15 6:40 PM
I have one other argument about the portable devices...and that's the battery life, which generally isn't all that great, even on a good laptop. (And mine is pretty good; it has to be since I use it for the little bit of freelancing I do.)
I think that ART was a wonderful game. I'd have liked to see more cities opened up, but there aren't really any horribly dangling story lines like the ones left in AK.
I'll admit it...I take my Nook to the beach if I don't have an actual paper and print book that I'm reading, or a puzzle book that's intriguing. I think the beach is a great place to read. But I see no need to take my phone everywhere for no reason other than to play games, or to take pictures of my food and "share" (perhaps someone can explain this phenomenon to me...I don't see any reason to look at photos of other people's food!), etc.
We really need to pick up our eyes once in a while and look around at something other than the screen in front of us!

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 23, 15 7:08 PM
I read an article about somebody who was using Twitter while walking down the aisle on her wedding day.

I do not understand people who have to inform the entire world what they are doing 24/7.

My laptop might be portable, but it's hardly what I would call mobile. I've only used it on battery to shut down aps when there's been a power failure. I treat it as a desk top and only move it when absolutely necessary.

My iPad is treated as a mini-laptop at home. Has a hard case with a keyboard. Set it so that I can use it exactly as I use my laptop, but it has a touch screen. It morphs into a mobile devise when I have to go to places where you sit around and wait a lot, doctors, dentists, etc.

I have no idea how long those phones can run without being charged, especially if people are suing them to play games. Maybe people charge them up at work so they are good to go for the commute home?

Whatever. Games for mobile devices is where developers think the money is. And as much as I like ART, I wouldn't pay for another update like the one we just had.

Still think they went wrong right from the start. Should have made all the special events material you had to pay for (but July 4th would have had to contained more material). Once you bought it, you could replay it each year - the event would be triggered by your system clock. And they would have had to put some sort of limit on the amount of gold you could earn, not to force you to spend even more money, but so that you wouldn't blow though the regular content too quickly.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 23, 15 7:40 PM
i personally would pay for an update and i know alot of players have also stated they would pay for an update aswell...

If you dont want to pay for an update ... Then dont pay for an update...

But it sure would be nice to at least have the option to do so!!!

Either way thanx BF and BZ for all your efforts....
I personally appreciate them!!!

Edited on 05/23/2015 at 9:09:06 PM PST

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on May 23, 15 9:43 PM
ART has been the best game that I have ever played. It is all about the money. Yes we all would have paid for an update, However we are an almost dying market, This is all we get. Their marketing strategy was flawed, I realized that a year ago. The FTP model needs to be re designed. But it probably makes more money on portable devices and with younger players. We, apparently are dinosaurs.

[Post New]by fishfingers10 on May 23, 15 11:42 PM
I am a laptop player and wouldnt play on anything else, I have my game time and that involves recliner chair and comfy fleece, otherwise im enjoying company or garden and that is totally separate. When i have been out for coffee we have noticed couples sitting together both on their phones or tablets, what happened to comunication and enjoying company?

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 4:13 AM
mpendo wrote:ART has been the best game that I have ever played. It is all about the money. Yes we all would have paid for an update"

Well stated mpendo...!! I agree... it IS all about the money! i do know that IF.... and its a BIG if i know.... They did come out with an exclusive update for players willing to pay... A ton of players would indeed buy it.

fishfingers10 wrote:I am a laptop player and wouldnt play on anything else, I have my game time and that involves recliner chair and comfy fleece

same here fishfingers ! LOL..... my laptop ,my recliner and my favorite games.... but then its time to switch it off and go enjoy LIVING!!
my little one uses a tablet..he has gone through 4 of them!! ...not from abuse...but from the fact that the tablets just cant handle the big programs , and the battery life is terrible. im with you fishfingers.... i will stick to my laptop...its fun in my recliner and fun taking it with me once in a while aswell..!! my little one is always putting down his tablet and want to play on my laptop!

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 4:22:32 AM PST

[Post New]by fishfingers10 on May 24, 15 8:23 AM
Glad to know we are on same page, i gave my daughter the tablet i got with my phone contract and she still has to use laptop for some things so they clearly dont do everything our laptops do! love my recliner!

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 10:45 AM
i agree fishfingers a tablet just cant do what a laptop can...! and i love my recliner too...i got a stand to put my laptop on and inbetween my laptop and the stand i have a great fan.... keeps my lappy running awesome..!!! some of the other 4 tablets i bought my son would over heat aswell!

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 10:46:12 AM PST

april3850
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,827 Posts

[Post New]by april3850 on May 24, 15 11:11 AM
I agree with Gobstoppers! I would have gladly paid for an update. I buy stuff for my MC game every month. I dont mind supporting the developers as long as I am getting enjoyment out of the game. However, with ART, it has been a total let down. I have spent nearly $450 on this game in the beginning, just to be continually let down and lied to. I am not going to pay for someone to lie to me. And besides that, you have to remember that you are talking about someone (BOOMZAP) who has absolutely no business sense whatsoever. I have begged them to sell it to someone else who actually cares about this game and making profits off of it, but to no avail. According to BigFish, this is the #3 game out of all the games they have. It just doesnt make sense why they would trash it.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 11:21 AM
HI APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGS! i miss playing ART with you!
i know...id gladly pay for an update ....a good complete and as little glitches as possible update....is very welcome....
and i ,like you, would LOVE to see BZ /BFG or whoever sell the game aswell.....

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 2:53:38 PM PST

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on May 24, 15 12:21 PM
april3850 wrote:... And besides that, you have to remember that you are talking about someone (BOOMZAP) who has absolutely no business sense whatsoever. I have begged them to sell it to someone else who actually cares about this game and making profits off of it, but to no avail. According to BigFish, this is the #3 game out of all the games they have. It just doesnt make sense why they would trash it.

I don't think Boomzap can sell the game even if they wanted to. If you read the game credits, it's clearly stated at the end that the copyright and trademark belong to BFG. So it is BFG who calls the shots, not Boomzap.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on May 24, 15 12:37 PM
eli173 wrote:
april3850 wrote:... And besides that, you have to remember that you are talking about someone (BOOMZAP) who has absolutely no business sense whatsoever. I have begged them to sell it to someone else who actually cares about this game and making profits off of it, but to no avail. According to BigFish, this is the #3 game out of all the games they have. It just doesnt make sense why they would trash it.

I don't think Boomzap can sell the game even if they wanted to. If you read the game credits, it's clearly stated at the end that the copyright and trademark belong to BFG. So it is BFG who calls the shots, not Boomzap.

But the code appears to be in the hands of BoomZap. If you have a problem with either ART or AK, the BF people can not access the code and fix your individual game.

I have a display issue with my iPad AK game. I've completed the quest to repair the castle's interior pillars, but there's a broken one still on the staircase. I've repaired the staircase, a quest you can't receive unless you've repaired the pillars, but all that did was give me a repaired and newly carpeted staircase beneath the broken pillar.

If BF could access the code, they could fix my game. But BF can't and BZ won't.

Both companies would have to cooperate in order to revive these two games. But BZ is no longer interested in programming for PC's.

Even if BZ would agree to sell the code to somebody else, unless it's well documented, it would be less costly to just start from scratch. In addition, different developers use different game engines. BoomZap wrote their own. I have no idea if they've ever sold copies to other developers.

It may sound easy to just hand the game over to somebody else, but it's much more difficult for a programming team to pick up a work in progress, especially one that has so many uncorrected errors, than it is for a new developer to take over a series and make the next game, like Eipex has done with the Hidden Expedition games, for example.

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 24, 15 1:01 PM
TSue is correct. What really gets my craw though is the UN-fixable glitches that make the game unplayable to some. If they don't wish to continue with the game, that's fine and dandy, that's a business decision and whether we agree or not is now made moot. Throwing good money after bad is never a wise thing. But to really tarnish your name by keeping something in your system that is below par knowing about it, is very baffling. I don't know the circumstances, we've all conjectured, but if the game was paid for and I am sure NOT CHEAPLY. Why not go back to the developer and say ok, we ordered this and its faulty, fix it. No new add-on fine, just fix it.
So somewhere along the lines something happened that we aren't privy to and leaves me baffled as to the abrupt severing and leaving it full of glitches and unplayable. Its not logical.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 1:06 PM
hi BlueX.... just like i PMed you.....

i stated the samething.... WHY... BZ wont fix their games and not stand behind their own product is just stunning....
and i also agree.......it will and does tarish their name....

but i was also told by BFG mod............. that it IS possible the game can be sold ( by whom was not discussed or stated....it doesnt really matter ) and possible that another developer can come in and buy ART

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 1:12:41 PM PST

Bluex
Salmon
Salmon
2,792 Posts

[Post New]by Bluex on May 24, 15 1:17 PM
Well that's a lot of the shoulda, coulda, woulda's to be honest. Taking over the ART "franchise" is one thing , but as TSue said, fixing the game is another as that evolves messing with code and that's not an easy thing to do from the outside and its expensive. As I said something happened between the parties we are not privy to to cause all this headaches for us and them.

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 1:36:18 PM PST

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 1:19 PM
oh i agree...they are blowing a lot of smoke and it would be a ton of code and work ! theres no denying that

NO ONE ever claimed it would be easy and simple...i think most people know that.... that is a given...

definately something went wrong between the two.... i agree aswell..we dont know the entire story....

but yet we are left with an interior product that the developer will NOT stand by or remedy....and whether inferior or not...i will continue to enjoy ART and my friends ive made and help others...this to me IS having fun and keeps the game enjoyable....

i like so many others are keeping on the SEVERE side of optimism...

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 3:02:27 PM PST

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on May 24, 15 1:28 PM
GOBSTOPPERS wrote:hi chesnutheights.... i agree...taking out the auction would definately elminate alot of problems....thats why dark manor is a success...!!

dark manor is constantly being updated and there is no auction....!!
tomo zaru has been running that game for years...its very successful....!!

tomo zaru and elephant games...are both very successful developers and they can make it work!!!!!

I have played Dark Manor ( which is two years old) for over 20 months and can say that nothing could be further from the truth. Dark Manor is in a dire state, and the last update with new content was in August 2014 (and it was not a major one like the latest ART update)! Plus, it has some annoying glitches that are over a year old!! Plus, there are constantly goofy mistakes, wrong dates, price calculations etc in even the simplest matters. Its FB page has been abandoned. DM now works on auto pilot, and despite repeated enquiries in the forum, BFG keeps silent about the game's future. So, despite different developers, there are the same problems: lack of new content, glitches, lack of communication... At least with ART they finally decided to announce their decision. DM could well be next.

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 1:32:45 PM PST

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 1:35 PM
oh wow Eli.... im so sorry to read you have so much trouble with DM....

i have 5 manors.... and dont have those troubles in ANY of my manors.....!

i know a LOT of people that play dark manor,,,, we JUST enjoy playing the game... thats why so many have more than one manor... if they didnt like playing it they would have walked away.....they wouldnt start the game over....the same goes for ART aswell....i know if i dont like a game,no updates which i will enjoy a game with or without an update,too many glitches and problems or whatever the case.... etc...

i just simply wont play it....

but to each their own...eveyone has an opinion.....

but either way...update or no update i WILL continue to play and enjoy..... ART ,AWK AND DM and i will continue to be a member of BFG aswell....i enjoy 10 of their FTP games for quite a few years and also have enjoyed the tons of games i have bought from BFG aswell.....

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 3:08:33 PM PST

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on May 24, 15 1:40 PM
I think there are several of the FTPs that may have the same fate as ART/ AK..

For me, I choose to look at this like the end of a good t.v. series I've been watching.. it was good, maybe I didn't like how it ended, maybe I'll watch the reruns.. but it's done.

My only hope is that there is another company out there willing to put together a game similar to this (not dark) and just as enjoyable. Although FTP seem to have their issues, it's the social aspect that keeps me coming back.

GOBSTOPPERS
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by GOBSTOPPERS on May 24, 15 1:44 PM
yes chestnut..... its so nice to be able to communicate and help friends in the game....

i had the same point ...lets hope the future developers of FTP games will be able to develop games that are on higher level of success....

to me no update isnt enough of a reason to quit and walk away from the games i enjoy and will continue to....

Edited on 05/24/2015 at 1:46:19 PM PST

Go to: