darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Contract with the Devil here

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Jun 3, 15 4:34 PM
This had the potential to be a good game, but I can't get past the bad translation and the annoying Boggart gibberish. Gives the game an amateurish look. I've also become lazy from playing too many CE's so I hated all the backwards-forwards, and would have preferred a map!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jun 3, 15 11:43 PM
I enjoyed this game. No, it does not have a map so there is some to-and-fro so you'll have to use your noggin to remember where you needed to do what. You don't need to go far. That doesn't bother me one bit as I am a bit tired of being led around by the hand no matter how hard I create my settings. It does have it's short-comings outlined here:
-Poor translation issues. This wasn't much of an issue for me but I do understand it could be for some.
-Touchy cursor areas. Some really picky spots here on item placement that at times drove me a bit nuts.
-Directional hint recharge. Should have been shorter than a standard hint in my opinion as there is no map so sometimes we get lost developers!
And here's the good:
-NO SPARKLES!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
-I needed my calculator and a notepad.
-A great maze puzzle for one of the demons
-No helper critters (although there are some games where I didn't mind that at all I will admit)
-Some nice twists on old puzzles that had me "puzzled" for a bit!

Any who, this one could have done with a tad more QC work, but to each his own and happy gaming fellow fishies!!

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Jun 4, 15 9:03 AM
Apparently, some out there don't know the difference between something not being in English and something having poor grammar. This game is absolutely IN ENGLISH. There are some spelling errors (not a ton) but, honestly, what game doesn't have them. However, the grammar in this game is dreadful and should have been proofread by a native English speaker before it was ever sold.

Having said all that, at no point was the grammar so incomprehensible that I didn't understand what the developers had written. And, most importantly, there was never a point where I didn't understand what task I needed to do next (be it in a puzzle or HO scene) so that I was unable to ultimately finish the game.

The gameplay itself was extremely well-done and enjoyable to play. I'll only say that if you feel the storyline has been "done to death" then I question why you bothered to demo it in the first place considering the description on the game page is very clear about the game's plot. Regardless of the fact that the storyline is not breaking new ground, it is still interesting and has been given enough attention to make sense from beginning to end.

I suggest giving this game a shot if you are the type that can overlook a game whose only downfall is poor grammar. If you're a stickler for perfect English, then don't waste your time. I hope the former will take a chance because I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at how much fun the game is to play.

Edited on 06/05/2015 at 5:29:08 AM PST

ronhall62
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by ronhall62 on Jun 6, 15 3:38 AM
WHY ISNT THEIR A WALKTHROUGH FOR THIS GAME STUCK ON THE CLOCKS

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Jun 7, 15 8:18 PM
Well, unless I am beta-ing, I am not the grammar police. I am well read enough to know that "clew" is British for a ball of yarn. I didn't know "bundle" for a square knot (the British for that is reef knot), but then that's what the hint button is for. As for the hieroglyph-in-Cyrillic, I don't know the Cyrillic alphabet, but I know the Greek one quite well - and when I saw that, I would have bet (and won the bet) it would be a Chinese character. Oddly the misnomer bothered me less in Cyrillic than it does spelled in American English.

It's true the English was not perfect, but you know, I have seen worse errors from native speakers right here in the forums. I also thought that there were points that were quite new. When was the last time your "cute helper" was a narcoleptic glossolalian Celtic boggart (not a leprechaun, though he looked a lot like one, and not a Rowling boggart, which really would not be fun as a game helper)? And the seven deadly sins (slightly tailored) - yes, Elephant had a game that focused on them, but here they were an adjunct - I liked catching them and putting them in a box even while I was doing it, but pointing out at the end that they are still there in that box, and you still have it and had better take good care of it - well, there you go.

I also liked Allora, but I didn't find it very memorable (except for a few glitches which probably wouldn't glitch now since I have newer equipment). This game I do find memorable.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jun 8, 15 5:37 PM
I bought this game without trying it, so I could get it on sale. As the Who once
said, Won't Get Fooled Again! I got as far as the word "barrued" and like those old cartoon characters, steam blew out of my ears. How did this game ever make it to Bigfish? I deleted it and I will ask for a refund or exchange.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jun 9, 15 7:24 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to pop in here and thank all the players for their feedback in regards to this particular game. It is definitely appreciated that players took the time to write down their thoughts on the game.

While the Moderation team doesn't have access to all the information that surrounds game releases, we will definitely pass along the feedback that has been presented in this thread. Big Fish Games does test the games extensively before they are released to the public, however with all the different combinations of computers on the market today, issues may arise. I apologize for the frustration that it causes.

If you are having any technical issues with this particular game, it is highly recommended to place them in the technical thread of the Forum. I'm going to include the link below:

Please post any TECH ISSUES for Contract with the Devil here

In regards to players mentioning the disappointment in content, we do recommend to play the trial versions of the games to get a feel for it without investing a cent. With the trial versions as well as the Forums, it has helped a lot of players decide whether or not to purchase the game.

I hope this helps. You are welcome to PM any of the moderators if you have any questions.

bfgBellerophon

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jun 11, 15 3:44 PM
I am almost finished with this game but have to stop and write a review.

This is a fantastic game!! I absolutely loved it! Most of the things that early reviewers found upsetting in the game occur (most unfortunately for the developers) at the beginning.

There is one scene with the boggart mumbling and then he simply becomes the icon that holds the Hint button. He's gone after that. Reminded me of the adults talking in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

The egregious grammatical and typographical errors also occur in the beginning but then taper off. If you can laugh off a couple of bad misspellings at the start, it really isn't that much of an issue as the game progresses.

This game is also INCREDIBLY long! There are seven demons to collect and they each take some time to gather. This is not a short game even if you use some hints & skips.

I thought the challenge level was nicely varied as were the types of HOPs and puzzles. Some were a breeze and some were ones you need to hunker down and work with. I didn't have to skip any puzzles, but some definitely took me longer than others and I will sadly admit I had to use the hint in a couple HOP scenes which I hate myself for doing but I was truly stumped and really wanting to keep going.

There are no maps, but you really don't need them. The phases of the game are quite contained and it is not hard to maneuver yourself in each level.

Caveat: If witchcraft, demons and the like are offensive to you, stay far away from this game. There are pentagrams, Ouija boards, demons, potions, rituals and of course a pact with the devil that is mentioned in the title.

I really did think this game was an absolute blast and had so much fun playing it. I hope people will give this one a shot for the whole demo before making up their minds. I also sincerely hope that this developer is successful enough that we can see more from them soon. I will quickly buy anything they put out in the future.

Edited on 06/11/2015 at 3:49:03 PM PST

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 14, 15 4:34 AM
I got this game with a freebie. I did not think it would be much, but what a pleasant surprise! I had so very much fun playing this. The graphics were beautiful. The storyline was good and it was very challenging. I recommend it to everyone. There is no map included and no walk through, but you can manage to make it through without them. The hint button was very slow and not adjustable. I did have a problem with moving around too fast and when I did, the game would crash on me and I would have to cont/alt/delt to end task and then re-enter the game and it worked okay. This happened about 3 times, but I did not lose interest or have trouble picking up where I left off. I played this game slowly and with much interest. The puzzles were okay except some of them were the kind where you have to hit things in a certain sequence and I do not like those. For instance one was having to "close" all the eyes on a demon by pressing the eyes in a certain sequence. These are usually impossible to guess at and take forever with much frustration. I tried until I became upset and then just used the "skip" button. All in all, a great fun entertaining and interesting game. Hope you enjoy as I did. Thank you BF.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jun 25, 15 2:31 PM
Interesting game.....but the HINT with it's 1 minute refill time and the fact that when it was used as a Directional Arrow, it required a 1 minute refill time, made the game tedious.

A 1 minute HINT refill time is way to long.

[Post New]by shad13 on Jul 8, 15 12:01 PM
I just finished this game it is one of the best I have played in a long time good job!!

[Post New]by tinman49 on Jul 12, 15 3:10 PM
The game in general was good, the strange language a waste of time and understanding. My daughter is a speed reader and she was amazed at how fast one had to read the captions, and how fast they went away before fully completing them! The HOP's in some areas too dark.

Go to: