angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

Re:Magic Encyclopedia 2 is out...

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 2, 09 4:39 PM
I am really excited about Magic Encylopedia II as I play the first one again and again. I have enough games for my keychain, thanks to the exceptional week for HOG. Thank you so much Picman!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 2, 09 4:58 PM
paulthelen wrote:Tomorrow or Saturday!!

Picman

This is FANTASTIC good news!!!!!

Happy Fourth of July!!!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Can you tell I'm happy about this?)

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jul 2, 09 5:51 PM
scotcat wrote:
all definitly stuff I would have purchased anyway

Poodle, I think you buy 95% of the games that come out on BF. You certainly deserve the "Biggest Fishie" surprise promo gift. Whatever that will be.

Noooo... I *do* usually buy at least one a week, often 2, sometimes 3, but this has been a crazy good week. As for buying strictly for the promo I never would. Well, I would if I had to buy ONE game that I was so-so on, had already targetted Big Brain Wolf for that if we reached the deadline and I needed one more. Way I figure it is if they offfered a Detective Felix pewter keychain for $7 would I buy it? Yes. For more than that? No, probably not. Would I buy strictly junk for the promo? No. So I buy the games I would buy anyway and this week (and last) has had some wonderful ones.

My *only* expense for entertainment is this, collecting dolls (which has slowed considerably), a couple MMOs, and Netflix. My husband works a blue collar job and has had his hours cut back to 35 a week and I am on Social Security because I've been disabled all my life but managed to work 15+ years before it became too severe to work so we by no means are anything but standard middle class, on the low end at that, according to charts I've seen. BUT we are extremely careful with our money, carry no consumer debt *ever* (cards are never used beyond what can be paid comfortably each month) beyond our mortgage and my accesible van we had to purchase last Summer when I could no longer transfer to the car. Working hard for many years, careful planning, wise spending and saving and a quiet life have allowed me this indulgence. If I get a keychain too than coooooool.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Jul 2, 09 8:45 PM
I waited on buying GHOST because I thought the Friday game might be something I wanted. So glad to hear that it might be ME2!

One of the reasons I like to buy my games from BFG is because I know where to go when/if I have to redownload my games again. When I got a new computer, I had no idea where I had gotten some of my games so they were gone for good. I was able to get all my BFG games reloaded, though.

I know, I could keep better records, but that would take time away from actually playing the games!

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jul 2, 09 8:55 PM
hi all!
ME first story was the very first HOG i've played that i really enjoyed (it was free on gamehouse a week ago) & i think its what made me take a second look at the genre (i usually play time management/strategy games).
and now to learn that there's a sequel! i can't wait for it to come out here. its good to know that i'll only be waiting for a couple of days, at least i won't be tempted to buy it from alawar.
happy gaming everyone!

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Jul 2, 09 10:28 PM
I've never played the first ME game until just now. I love it! How long does it last? I think I finished the first 2 or 3 with about 12 minutes left. (One of the levels had 2 screens in it.)

Replay value? If so, I'd like to buy this one first, I think? I need only one more game for the much-sought-after keychain!

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Jul 2, 09 11:40 PM
justnorma wrote:I've never played the first ME game until just now. I love it! How long does it last? I think I finished the first 2 or 3 with about 12 minutes left. (One of the levels had 2 screens in it.)

Replay value? If so, I'd like to buy this one first, I think? I need only one more game for the much-sought-after keychain!

I think it took me about 5-6 hours when I first played it. I like to take my time and enjoy a game, so I'm not concerned about finishing it in record time (at least the first time I play).

Everything is the same when you play it again. What I do is wait until I've forgotten a lot of the game to play it again. I play my games over again about once a year and enjoy them. Although I might not remember what I had for dinner last night, I have a good spatial memory so I have to wait that long to forget where objects are located.

I look at games as a good, inexpensive recreation, and if I get at least 2 interesting hours out of one, I'm happy.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Jul 4, 09 1:15 PM
I really want to play this game but it keeps starting over when downloading. One time it will say 45% downloaded, then I look again and it's at 3%. What the heck. I have broadband!

Grannynoo
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by Grannynoo on Jul 4, 09 1:29 PM
dtouchton wrote:I really want to play this game but it keeps starting over when downloading. One time it will say 45% downloaded, then I look again and it's at 3%. What the heck. I have broadband!

Also had a problem downloading dtouchton but I solved the problem by pausing and unpausing the download. Took about 15min. on high speed.

[Post New]by QBNormaJean on Jul 4, 09 1:41 PM
I had to try to download it twice. I am stuck in the Mayan Observatory, I am missing 1 jewel

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Jul 4, 09 1:42 PM
Thanks, grannynoo, I will try that.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 4, 09 2:41 PM
I am playing it now. I bought it. I like the game despite several unpleasant things.

Good things:
Beautiful graphics! This is big factor for me as to whether I buy a game.
Same nice game play as the original. I like this kind of game very much and am always looking for more games of this type.
Plenty of Hints!
You can skip Minis!
Some minis are tough! I admit to skipping several as they are time consuming and I want to get on with the game.
I see on the Main page a button for minis so I am guessing that you can play them again later. This is always a desirable feature.

Some Bad Points - Just my opinion, these will not be so bad for others:
Teeny, Tiny objects! I can't complain about that enough. There are many items such as spears that have very long thin parts broken up in pices. These items are nearly impossible for me to see and I am getting tired of using Hints.
Objects in very dark spots. Some of these objects are also dark and tiny. I do not enjoy "click fests" and that is the only way I can find some of these things.
The curser freezes and there is a wait after you click "Next". This always makes me feel that the game is locking up on me (it is not).
Some will find this a short game especially if they skip the minis which I suspect may be more for padding than anything else. I think you will enjoy most of them though.
The Tutorial was annoying as I already knew how to play and just wanted to do that. Could be you can skip it (I hope). If not, it is a definite downer. I don't recall the original game being that "helpful".

I have to give this game only 2 1/2 out of 5 stars because of the irritating bad features I named. This may be no problem for those of you with large screens and 20/20 vision. I still like the game though and am nearly finished.

hollie96
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by hollie96 on Jul 4, 09 2:45 PM
dtouchton wrote:I really want to play this game but it keeps starting over when downloading. One time it will say 45% downloaded, then I look again and it's at 3%. What the heck. I have broadband!

I had this same problem. I ended up sitting for an hour, pausing and restarting the download to keep it from freezing up and restarting itself. I have this problem frequently here, but the last game I downloaded (GHOST chronicles, I think?) downloaded in about three minutes - so it doesn't happen all the time. It was a long, frustrating hour, sitting here and pausing the download every few minutes when I would see the speed it was coming in at slow down or stop!

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jul 4, 09 2:46 PM
I just tried the demo, enjoyed it thoroughly, and bought it to make my last game for the promotion. As for the downside to this game, I only found one. At times the cursor seemed to "freeze" (like when going back to the map, or clicking "next" through the story) and I felt like the game was about to crash but then it wouldn't. So, really more annoying than anything else...I'm just not used to having to wait that long between pages.

Also, some people may find the small size of the objects annoying, but I loved it. I am so tired of playing HOG's where the objects are almost larger than life, or oh so obvious, and breezing my way through a game. At least it takes me a while to do this one, so I for one appreciate the "challenging" size of the objects.

Enjoy all.

JPaules029
Clownfish
Clownfish
562 Posts

[Post New]by JPaules029 on Jul 4, 09 2:49 PM
I too noticed the lag when clicking on the Next button however.........I downloaded the trial, played for about 15 minutes - and bought the game. Good graphics are important to me. I wear bifocals so teeny tiny hidden objects or indistinct borders will have me reaching for the Delete trashcan.

selkatz
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by selkatz on Jul 4, 09 3:00 PM
What promotion?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 4, 09 3:04 PM
selkatz wrote:What promotion?

There's another promotion going on right now and you can read about it here:

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/413/c/2986/r_id/109674

It's *possible* that Big Fish is going to extend the promotion past July 5th, because of the site being down for a day, but that has not been determined yet. They are going to discuss this possibility and get back to us.

ComputerCharm
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,537 Posts

[Post New]by ComputerCharm on Jul 4, 09 3:09 PM
I got ME 1 a few months ago so it is kind of fresh in the old memory and the 1st game was also slow going from scene to scene. hope this help with wether you buy or not.

Charm

P.S. I did buy this game and love love it

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Jul 4, 09 3:12 PM
Only played 20mins of trial and Im hooked already....well hidden objects, no time limit and hints when you need them. Off to buy the game now! Happy hunting!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 4, 09 3:30 PM
i just finished me 1 about a week ago i loved it so i bought this one last night as soon as i was sure that bfg system was working i also love this game some items are small and i have to use my hint but who cares i thoroughly enjoy these types of games

Go to: