cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

Re:Opinions on Azada: Ancient Magic

[Post New]by cesse47 on Aug 28, 08 1:53 PM
The anonymous post above is mine, cesse47. I am logged in and my profile is showing so I'm not sure why it posted that way. I'll create a post to the bfg Hosts alerting them to this issue. Cesse47.

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on Aug 28, 08 2:11 PM
I pretty well echo the opinion of Cesse47. I've just started but love the graphics and find this game very entertaining.
Way to go...BFG.

cinni34
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by cinni34 on Aug 28, 08 2:49 PM
I played the demo b4 buying it (although I was going to but it anyway) I just wanted to see how far I could get in a hour.
I love it. Orginal Azada is my fav, but A2 is worth it. I love it.
I do miss more of the mini games, but ........ so far so great. I played for a hour and half total last night then HAD to get some rest. I am going back in now...
Thanks BFG... love A and A2

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Aug 28, 08 3:06 PM
Flash...

I am the one who said you cannot replay it...but that is not what I said, if you catch my meaning. LOL
Of course, you CAN replay it..to your heart's content !!

But it will always be the SAME game, Same clues, etc. What's the fun in that? Once you have figured out how to solve it, you can only play to increase your score, if that is what you like to do.

I don't. It would be a different matter if the replays had different clues to find, different solutions, but they don't. Once you have solved how to do a book, what is the point of going back and doing the exact same thing again? Might work if you had a very short memory....

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Aug 28, 08 4:11 PM
I have a 'slow lagging mouse' as well. I had to learn to click fast when the cursor ran over whatever I wanted to click on. It doesn't do it to every game i've tried, but has done it to a rare few. i wanted to download the game when I got up, but I had to go to work (booo!) so, I had to wait until I came home.. I tried the trial version and am pretty tickled with it. I feel more immersed in the story on AZ2 (so far). Haven't done battle with the timer (yet) but am sure I will.
Anyone having slow moving mouse problems, you're not alone. Hang in there.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Aug 28, 08 4:23 PM
Was really disappointed in this game, compared to the first one. The first one made you think, this one is easy enough for my 9 year old granddaughter to do without much help from me. I can't see anyone needing a strategy guide for this one - even if you mess up over and over you still have time to finish the puzzles before time runs out.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 28, 08 6:06 PM
shadowdiana wrote:Flash...

I am the one who said you cannot replay it...but that is not what I said, if you catch my meaning. LOL
Of course, you CAN replay it..to your heart's content !!

But it will always be the SAME game, Same clues, etc. What's the fun in that? Once you have figured out how to solve it, you can only play to increase your score, if that is what you like to do.

I don't. It would be a different matter if the replays had different clues to find, different solutions, but they don't. Once you have solved how to do a book, what is the point of going back and doing the exact same thing again? Might work if you had a very short memory....
What they were saying about it being replayable was not that you could just play the game over, but once you have finsihed the story part each books mini-game (like the mazes or line up the blocks or whatever) become playable by just clicking on the book in the Library. You do not solve the big puzzle of the book again, just go directly to the mini-game.

...and I just gotta add that with the coming timer optional version this will be just about a perfect game for me. I loved the story puzzle of each book and the mini-games were an interesting diversion. It was great that there was a different style mini-game for each book. I'd be hard pressed to come up with that many different style puzzles. The look was gorgeous, the music wonderful, they concept super (loved the classic book use). I have no issue with replayability as I rarely replay a game and I got about 4 hours of enjoyment out of this which for $7 (the price of a double tall mocha and a scone) is a bargain. Hopefully they are already working away on Azada 3! Can't wait.

Edited on 08/28/2008 at 6:13:48 PM PST

RainCat
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by RainCat on Aug 28, 08 6:20 PM
Pretty short - I still have the last 5 books left but am saving them for tomorrow.

I finished most of the books in less than 10 minutes, and some in less than 5.

The only two that have given me trouble were because of the built-in puzzle, not because of finding and using object.

The one where you have to move the ball through the maze by changing the slope of the squares was a pain. That took way way way too long to solve. Took me 10 minutes from the time I got the ball diagonally next to the exit. Aargh. And for some reason, the cryptogram stumped me for the longest time. I think I spent about half an hour on it.

Despite that, it's a cute game, but I agree - short, fairly simple, and lacks replayability. Not really a huge mental challenge.

As other people were, I was somewhat annoyed by the time-subtraction for trying logical but wrong things. Not a big deal, since no book take long to play, but its the principal of the thing. Actually I am not sure why there are count-down timers at all. What's the purpose?

Worth buying if you want something a bit different, but don't expect to spend more than 3-4 hours on it. Still, it's cheaper than a movie, if you have Game Club. (At least I can expect to finish it! There are some games I have played for weeks without finishing...and other I will never finish.)

Vanora
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Vanora on Aug 28, 08 9:03 PM
K, just thought I'd verify something.

Replayibility means different things for different people, so, when I say it's replayible, to me, it is. I personally enjoy playing games over, taking my time, and catching little things I missed the first time (yes, even with the SAME puzzles, etc.) That's just my personal preference. By no means was I attempting to say that anything changed in the game, and if anyone took it that way, you have my apologies. I was just stating my opinion.

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on Aug 28, 08 10:28 PM
OK half way through the game.really enjoying it!the music is a little choppy though.no problem overlooking that. although my first genre is hidden objects ,this is still intruiging.great job on the graphics and storyline.

[Post New]by brutus1959 on Aug 28, 08 10:45 PM
Oh how I loved the first Azada. Each mini-game was novel and fun. Several even progressed in difficulty. Regarding Ancient Magic (AM), I feel it's a dummied down version of the original. The books are interesting yet fairly predictable and the mini-games lack the diversity and difficulty of those in the first edition. Although I like AM, I am terribly disappointed. I was hoping for an incredibly provocative game that required thoughtful and clever game play. I didn't find it here. The first Azada continues to stand alone without rival.

Synique
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Synique on Aug 28, 08 10:49 PM
Yay! Thanks to the developers for a great game! I liked it. Didn't love it, but it was a game that I was looking forward to for awhile since I bought the first one and heard a second one would be out. I do love the first edition, which is the only reason why I bought the second.

For myself as much as I love puzzle games, I will admit that due to the fact that I play a lot of them, I find the game this time around to be relatively easy. I have yet to use a hint, but I like to find out on my own. I'm not complaining. Just wondering like some who want the option of having the timer off (though in my opinion it didn't bother me one iota), an option for different harder levels (during the puzzle levels) would be cool as well. Azada1 had me thinking and pulling my hair out, but I enjoy that aspect. Just for those times though, I did wish for the timer to go out the window. I would get so close to solving it, or think I might have and then it runs out and I have to go through the whole thinking process again. Not that I minded too much starting over as it was fun trying to beat the clock so to speak.

I haven't finished the game, and have played about 3 hours so far. I look at how many books I have left and know it's a matter of time before I'm done. Just a teeny bit disappointed that it wasn't more challenging or longer. But the graphics and the way the books were displayed for the gaming platform is a neat idea and makes up for it.

Edited on 08/28/2008 at 10:52:50 PM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Aug 28, 08 11:50 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering about this code thing too? I never did play Azada 1. With all the hype over Azada 2 I was considering trying, and maybe buying, it. But if I need the code from the first one what's the point of buying this one? Maybe I should just do the first one, huh?

[Post New]by angelfrominver on Aug 29, 08 5:36 AM
I'm stuck on the detective one, and cannot seem to get out of the cryptogram page. When I click on help it highlights the letters CP, when I click on it, it doesn't do anything, not even using the pen, pickaxe or wrench. Can anyone help me, as I have enjoyed the game so far, and will only have four books to complete after this. I read that I will have to play first game again to get a code for this game, which doesn't seem to be a bother, but come on big fish, can you not give better hints than the one you are giving us on the cryptogram one.

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Aug 29, 08 9:11 AM
To shadowdiana I just want to say, sorry I got you wrong earlier.
You are right about it. The puzzles are the same over again when you replay the books and iI wish as you that there was some new puzzles to play on the replaying.

[Post New]by brutus1959 on Aug 29, 08 9:12 AM
Angel,
You don't need the code to finish. I played the first game but didn't bother to get the code as it is unnecessary to kill the genie and finish the game. Regarding the cryptogram, use your key board to type in letters. Here are some hints: ice; retrieve; port.
K.

[Post New]by PCMatcher on Aug 29, 08 2:55 PM
I love the game but hate the timer and really don't like being penalize for clincking on different thing. I am stuck now inThe Baron with the gears. But I enjoy the puzzle and really like the fact that its not repeat puzzles like the 1st one. I give Azada 2, a big TWO TUMPS UP

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 29, 08 3:53 PM
angelfrominver wrote:I'm stuck on the detective one, and cannot seem to get out of the cryptogram page.
The same thing happened to me, if I understand your question right, the cyptogram itself would not close so I couldn't continue. There is a *teeny* green "X" up in the right hand corner like to close any WIndow but it's so small it really easy to miss. I did some keyboard slammin' bad word yellin' I'll tell ya before I saw that little thing.

hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Aug 29, 08 7:10 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but there are some things that I just wish were different. I agree with most people about being annoyed by the timer deductions for wrong clicks when you're just trying to figure out what in the heck you're supposed to do. I really wish there had been an option to reset the in-book puzzle if you got stuck, rather than sitting there looking at the mess I made and trying to figure out just how to fix what went wrong. (TinMan also got stuck in a hedge and nothing would move him away from there. I had to reset the entire game and play every book over again to get around the problem.) Some of the in-book puzzles could use more clarification in the instructions. (i.e. the potion puzzle in the Jekyll and Hyde book)

kaytiekat
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kaytiekat on Aug 30, 08 9:53 AM
I finished the whole game in a little over 2 hours, so even though I was impressed with the graphics I was quite disappointed that it wasn't more challening. I thought Azada 1 was much more challenging, maybe because it had more puzzles to solve.

Go to: