bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jul 30, 09 10:50 AM
Hi all,

I'm seeing a couple of requests for help in this thread. Just as a general reminder, this thread is for reviews only.

For technical assistance or game help questions, please post to a different thread in relation to your question or create a new thread by clicking the "Create Discussion" button at the top of the Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships forum page.

Thanks!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

Edited on 07/30/2009 at 10:50:36 AM PST

[Post New]by exit234b on Aug 2, 09 9:44 PM
southerngirl78 wrote:Despite the mixed reviews, I am a devoted Nancy Drew fan and plan to use a credit; After all, since I only like large file mystery games, and am not a big fan of hidden object, I have enough credits to "waste" one. I like a good challenge so I'm up for the "exploring" with a hard to read map, not interacting with a lot of characters, and doing point and click challenges. . .hmmm. . .this game is starting to sound a lot like "The Crystal Skull" ND game.

I'm beginning to think that folks are giving ND games and HerInteractive in general a bad wrap. They make the games more challenging, and folks get upset, They make 'em longer gameplay, and folks get upset. They include Bess and George after folks complained about the Hardy Boys, and they get upset. Look, if you're not a true adventure game enthusiast, want something cookie cutter easy, or not a Nancy Drew fan, maybe you should stop buying the games or at least do some research before you download. Although I haven't enjoyed every game (I thought that "Scarlet Hand", "Deception Island", "Kapu Cave", and "Haunted Carousel" were too short, easy, and kiddie), I appreciate HerInteractive's mission, their success in resurrecting the Nancy Drew brand, books, etc., and that some pretty dedicated folks work hard to put these games together. They are also really good about taking criticism and input from "fans", so if you have an issue with plot, gameplay, etc., be sure to write them at the herinteractive site. They do tend to change things due to input from players.

I agree with you on alot of this. You mentioned your least favorites, how about giving us a list of your faves!
Thanks

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Aug 4, 09 5:03 PM
I agree with most of you,I have every Nancy game that has been made & this is the worst EVER,no people [except George who might as well not be there] only monkeys,a parrot a lot of puzzles,no mystery,hidden stairs & no snooping

Most of the reviews on there pages been the worst!! first game ever I have played once & un-installed,most of time is spent trying not to get killed,we long time fans are just hoping they take notice of our opinions & bring back 'old Nancy' where we had fun

Lights,camera,action in dossier series good game,new 1 now on pre-order for later in the month & next 'Adventure series' is due about a month or so later,which we are all hoping is a BIG improvement

Re: Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships comments and reviews

[Post New]by ninia40 on Aug 4, 09 7:23 PM
thistle809 wrote:Since there is no trial available for this, could anyone tell me if it is a "point and click" adventure; like the "Lights, Camera, Curses"?

It's not, it's like the other games. I didn't like Lights, Camera, Curses ither. I am in the middle of Ransom.. and it is fun.

[Post New]by Bigfishgamer91 on Aug 5, 09 4:53 PM
Wow, i love this game. I have tried many Bigfish and Playfirst games and Nancy Drew: Ransom of the seven ships is the best. Well worth the money, best game EVER!

Hope this helps!

~Bigfishgamer91

[Post New]by millermae4ever on Aug 9, 09 12:25 AM
i haven't either and cant decode the book either

[Post New]by millermae4ever on Aug 9, 09 12:34 AM
quin1234 wrote:We just finished this one and both of us (myself & my 11 year old daughter) really enjoyed it. In fact, I preferred it over Castle Malloy (I'm still bearing a grudge over that darn drum puzzle!). Gameplay was a little different:

1. we learned quickly to check the to do list as sometimes Nancy would draw conclusions and add it to the list while we mere mortals were still scratching our heads trying to put things together

2. the right-click was finally utilized but since it's not usually we weren't expecting it and it took a while to figure out how to dig

3. instead of calling Bess & George for a hint we visit Coucou the parrot which means we need to win the monkey games to win the fruit (once you've used up the lobby fruit bowl) and the coconut toss is TOUGH! It will let you take a prize after losing 10 consecutive times (and it shames me to admit I know that) but for an item you actually need (for example the compass) it required us to actually beat the monkey at its own game.

Overall, as I said, we enjoyed it- the puzzles were challenging but the only one we had to actually find a cheat for was the pulley (and at that point in the game we probably didn't really need to cheat but were just impatient). There was a lot of driving and sailing which I could have lived without (the roads were confusing even with the map from the lobby) and the next step wasn't always obvious though the to do list helped with that quite a bit but the biggest irritant to me was the so-called non-linear gameplay. It may be considered non-linear but certain requirements have to be met for certain plot points to move forward- for example, you can win the toss game 20 times but you aren't going to get that compass until Johnny tells you he needs it. That said, we liked the background story and really enjoyed the puzzles and are looking forward to playing it again but on Senior mode.
h0w did you decode the mess in the book?

[Post New]by maratl on Aug 12, 09 4:01 PM
Sorry, this is the worst Nancy Drew game ever and I have played them all. I can't relate to the characters of Nancy and George at all and the only other person I've run across is the Jamaican.
This game is all about solving puzzles as in Azada et al. There is no detective work and no suspects to find out about.
The overhead view of Nancy sucked as did the directions in the captain's note on how to find his book.
The monkey coconut game is not fun in fact it is quite frustrating.
If I thought I could get my money back I would ask for it.
Very, very disappointed. This shouldn't even be labeled Nancy Drew.

[Post New]by wispernrain on Aug 12, 09 5:24 PM
Hiya All. I am new to thisCommunity thing but not the sames... I LOVE BFG's ....Oh noo, I just bought this game and D/l'ing it now. I hope WE will like it. I'm 37 and my daughter is about to turn 16 in Oct and WE LOVE ND Games!!! We have played them all. Just got done with Castle Malloy. And he person above this entry said something about the drums....lol omgosh That was fusterating...lol Finally got it just from re trying so much...lol Ohhh it's done d/l now it's installing. Yay can't wait to play.

Edited on 08/12/2009 at 5:25:35 PM PST

[Post New]by A_Webbie on Aug 23, 09 1:17 PM
I have to say I did not like this game at all! I am not sure if I will even get another Nancy Drew game because of this one... sorry. For those of you that liked it great but for me if I had a trial of this one I would not have gotten it!

Edited on 08/25/2009 at 3:13:42 PM PST

ldocd
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by ldocd on Aug 24, 09 2:12 PM
Am still looking for the walk thru ?????????????????????????????

[Post New]by star_359 on Sep 16, 09 10:31 PM
Ok, usually I just look through what people have to say but I just have to say, I am a huge fan of the Nancy Drew games and when this one came out, I bought it in an instant and was very excited about it but shortly after starting this game, I started to dislike it and was very disappointed. 2 things that I can't stand in this game are the driving the golf cart thing and the sailing. Everything else would be manageable and even enjoyable if it weren't for those things. After awhile I just stopped playing it and I haven't found the drive to return and finish this game. This is my least favourite of all Nancy Drew games and that's saying something. Every other game I've boughten, I've been obcessed with until I finished it. I would be sitting up at 4 in the morning, having to get up for work at 7 and I'd still be playing it but this game, I just couldn't stand at all. I'll still buy the next one but if it's alot of the same as this game, I won't be buying them anymore.

As for the walkthrough, I'm assuming you've already found it but if not, it's at:
www.gameboomers.com/walkthroughs.html

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

Dive

[Post New]by joyzebra on Sep 25, 09 11:50 AM
I dived, I see screen shot of where treasure is, but I can't get to it. The treaure appears to be above where screen shot shows. I use shovel to dig ..see red...but nothing happens when I dig. What am I doing wrong?

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Oct 5, 09 1:43 PM
NOT EVEN FUN. Hate the car movement, need a faster model to get around, took forever to get from place to place and thoroughly HATE the monkeys. I guess if you like competition with another species, you might enjoy this - NOT ME. No more downloaded Nancy Drew games in this house.

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Oct 13, 09 12:37 AM
Wow, I was about to get this one, seems almost everyone is disappointed, but I'm not sure if the reasons would apply to me.

I love a simple checklist, lots of puzzles, and for the problem-solving to be not ridiculously hard; and I hate mazes and complicated settings. Anyone have a hunch if this game would be for me? Thanks!

[Post New]by nancythesleuth on Oct 14, 09 10:55 PM
divegal wrote:
I love a simple checklist, lots of puzzles, and for the problem-solving to be not ridiculously hard; and I hate mazes and complicated settings. Anyone have a hunch if this game would be for me? Thanks!

The game's not so hard...the puzzles are okay. But the gameplay is not fun, at least for me. The storyline is not interesting enough, there are only a few characters you can communicate with..and most importantly, there's NO SNOOPING in this game, which is a big thumbs down from me..I love snooping and discovering secret passages or places, but there's no such thing in this game. I'm quite disappointed with this game and regretted that I purchased it before playing the demo.

But I'm sure the newest one, Warnings at Waverly Academy, is much better than Ransom. I've played the demo and it's fun.

[Post New]by stephentec on Oct 30, 09 11:36 PM
I have played all of the previous ND games and I have to say this one is the least fun for me. The mini-games are ok some are quite hard. I try never to use a walk though and normally you can get hints within the game (call the hardy boys or Bess and George) this one you have to feed a bird with fruit you have to win. I did find the bird to be the most interesting character in the game. I like ND games to have more of a story line and interaction with other charterers. I did not have any problems with the monkey puzzles and one of the games is fun. The coconut game can be frustrating. I found this to game to be OK but not great and less than what I have come to expect from Nancy Drew games.

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Dec 6, 09 4:49 PM
Thank God and BFG for the forums. Keeps me from wasting my money and/or credits on games I would not enjoy. This is another NO-GO for me.

Joy

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 13, 09 8:27 AM
> It may be considered non-linear but certain requirements have to be met for certain plot points to move forward- for example, you can win the toss game 20 times but you aren't going to get that compass until Johnny tells you he needs it.

The important point there is that instead of the game being strictly linear, it works on triggers.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Mar 1, 10 6:54 PM
I have played a few of the ND games - not so fond of this one. If I knew how it played before hand, it would probably be one of the last of the ND games I would play in the series so far.

Right now, I have two game credits and need some BF gamer input on what I should play next -

Secret of the Scarlet Hand ?
The Creature of Kapu Cave?
The Final Scene?
The Haunted Carousel?
Danger By Design?
The White Wolf of Icicle Creek?
Danger on Deception Island?

I will end up playing them all, but for now, need some input on the best out of the ones above.

Thanks

Luckystar

Love the ND games as well as AC games More , More!!

Edited on 03/01/2010 at 7:00:21 PM PST

Go to: