Divine Academy

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Divine Academy

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 21, 15 9:06 AM
I will add my name to the list of naysayers. There is one so called FTP game on my I-Phone 6 plus. The characters are so small that I can't even see what is going on. I have tried to play it exactly once. No thank you. Have gone back to playing my very extensive library of older games that are more difficult, more entertaining and hold my interest. I have 5 PCC's and 2 credits waiting to be spent but it certainly won't be on this game.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Jul 21, 15 10:55 AM
I have to join the crowd and agree wholeheartedly about this FTP nonsense! This looks like it could be a really fun game but I will never play FTP...ever. It's a garbage concept to throw at so many loyal gamers.

In the past nearly 7 years I have bought well over 400 games from Big Fish alone. If I like a game, I buy it, I buy it's sequels, I tell friends about it, etc. But if I'm going to pay for something, I'm going to own it, not rent it or keep having to throw money at it to make it a whole product (which in this FTP world, it never will be anyway).

Devs - remember who your loyal customers are/were and don't leave us for a younger, flashier model who won't be there in the long-term.

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on Jul 21, 15 12:29 PM
DITTO FROM ME ALSO. i will not even download a play for free game , which it's not. You lost a for sure purchase from me with this one.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jul 21, 15 2:14 PM
mellowtraumatic wrote:Seems like RL is now developing for mobile platforms first and then porting over to pc as an afterthought. Not a very promising outlook for what used to be one of my favorite casual game developers. I've been begging them for more games like Adelantado Trilogy for over a year now but I guess that's not going to happen.

I did try this one on my iphone 6 plus. Even on that oversized phone everything was way too small to see properly. Guess I'll give it a shot on the pc but I'm not holding out much hope that I'll play much since it has a dreaded energy bar. [/quote

LOL I just upgraded to that phone a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes when I'm looking around my bedroom for the phone I will see it & think, oh that's jjust my kindle fire. And then I realize. The phone is great except I cant get it to charge very easily ... anyway... to keep this on topic - - - I would REALLY like to ask any of the other players for a personal favor.

Would anyone mind PMing me if and when this game ever becomes a regular, straight, non-ridiculous cost? I know that F2P is an optional thing, but I refuse to even try. I've played enough where they try to what I call "frustrate your wallet open" and I just don't even.

aleutcia
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by aleutcia on Jul 21, 15 2:55 PM
Not sure why all the upset comments....I have been playing for an hour now and have not had to pay anything. It seems to be a fun game and keeps my attention. I have not had to wait for anything as long as you use your spells. It is a free form game, meaning you can build your town any way you want to. Give it a try before thinking it is bad because it is a FTP game.

For the poster looking for something like the Adelantado Trilogy, I think you will like this. I have those 3 games, however have not ever been able to play the first one because of a glitch. I would never play this game on my phone, it would be way to difficult to see everything and become frustrating quickly.

chilco
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by chilco on Jul 21, 15 3:00 PM
Love this game but like everyone else, I'm not doing FTP. Not only because it's a money pit but also because I have a limited data plan! I'm not using up my GB's for a money sucker. I have 5 game credits available because I can't find any good games to buy anymore! TM games, like Divine Academy, are my favorites but anymore it's all HO's and M3's. I'm getting close to pulling the plug on BF after 10 years of loyalty.

smjjames
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by smjjames on Jul 21, 15 4:36 PM
FTP should be renamed PTW, or Pay To Win. A real FTP would be a game that is free and you don't have to buy anything to do stuff in it.

That said, the FTP (or PTW) is a complete no buy for me.

@Chilco: I have 11 game points available, there just hasn't been any good games for a long while.

Edited on 07/21/2015 at 4:38:09 PM PST

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on Jul 21, 15 6:43 PM
I agree with every negative thing said. This is the last (FTP) straw. I would have liked to BUY this game. Shouldn't it be PTP - Pay to play

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 21, 15 7:01 PM
I just wanted to clear up that I didn't complain about this being a FTP game, but wanted to be sure that this is, in fact, a FTP game for the PC, because it was only advertised at the devs as an app game. What I never would play are games on apps, because the screens are just too small for me.

I have played several FTP Hogs, a couple of FTP Solitaire games, and "Farm Up" which, btw, you can actually BUY at the dev's site, and found them quite entertaining.

I play these games until I get bored with them, and then delete them again. I have never once paid real money for them. They are free to download and free to play, and it's up to each individual whether they want to invest money in these games. I never have, and I never will.

[Post New]by mellowtraumatic on Jul 21, 15 8:29 PM
My main issue is not the FTP model entirely, although I much prefer to just buy a game outright. It's usually the energy bar that is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to play for however long I want, whether it be ten minutes or two hours. Energy bars are a complete gimmick whose only purpose is to limit your gameplay. I think it's a completely shady game feature.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 07/22/2015 at 1:32:21 PM PST

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Jul 22, 15 12:47 AM
Well, that's just typical! Finally something interesting turns up on BFG, and of course it turns out to be a so-called FTP (I like your Pay To Win, smjjames ).

It's bound to start out OK, no need to buy any upgrades etc. for a while. But then, as the game progresses you'll need more and more whatever to keep progressing. These games are designed that way: lure in the punters, hook them and hopefully they'll decide to eventually spend some money in order to keep the game moving forward at an acceptable pace - instead of just getting so annoyed that they delete the game.

[Removed by Moderator]

So it's back to my library to dust off another oldie but goody PC game. Such a shame can't find anything decent to offer us. They seem to have lost the plot.

Edited on 07/22/2015 at 1:56:18 PM PST

[Post New]by coturnix on Jul 22, 15 4:39 AM
Unfortunately I didn't read the forum (got a very early start yesterday - 6 AM), and reactivated my membership cos I knew from looking at it I would LOVE this game. So I just put it on my ToDo list for 27 days to deactivate the membership. Wish for the days when you count BFG to give you something fun in your genre at least once a week. Like I said love the game - wish it had not gone the PTW (rather than FTP) route.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Jul 22, 15 7:59 AM
Valdy wrote:I just wanted to clear up that I didn't complain about this being a FTP game, but wanted to be sure that this is, in fact, a FTP game for the PC, because it was only advertised at the devs as an app game.

Why not just download the game and see for yourself? I didn't download this game, but there was another FTP game that I downloaded and tried before I realized it was FTP. It played fine on my PC, for the 30 seconds or so I gave it before deleting.

As an aside, my problem with FTP games is based on principles, not how much it will cost me. To be called FTP games actually must have a way for people to win or keep progressing without spending a cent, otherwise they are considered scams and open to false advertising claims. But some of them are so ridiculously hard or take so long to accomplish anything by playing free, that people break down and spend money just to get somewhere. I just avoid them altogether to keep from rationalizing that I'll pay for *just this one thing, just this once*. It's never just once, at least for me, and I really don't like to pay anything for something they advertise as free.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 22, 15 10:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to drop by to clarify a few things regarding Divine Academy and the Free to Play games that we offer on this site.

To start, all the Free to Play games that we offer on this site are just that - free for anyone to download and play. I've seen several mentions of "pay to win" in this thread, but as TMGamer99 and aleutcia have noticed, it is entirely possible to advance through this game without making any purchases - with some extra time and patience. All of the Free to Play games that we offer are built in a manner that does allow this. If you do not wish to take the extra time or wish to purchase extras while playing the game, you are given the option to do so.

For some clarification, I've included the following help article:

Free to Play Games (Midnight Castle, Dark Manor, etc.)

In addition, we are not the only site to offer Free to Play games for PC, as this type of game format has become very popular, both for PC and mobile devices.

I also want to add that Divine Academy was indeed featured as Tomorrow's Game Today on July 21, 2015, meaning that Big Fish Game Club members had exclusive access to the game. Now that it's a new day, Game Club members have exclusive access to a different game and Divine Academy is now accessible to anyone who visits the site. If any Game Club members decide to make purchases within any of our Free to Play PC games, do know that your 30% off discount applies here.

If you're simply not interested in playing this type of game, I do want to share a quick way to distinguish the Free to Play games from the premium games on our site. For our Free to Play games such as Gummy Drop, you'll only see a blue "Play Free" button to download the game. For our premium games, such as Big City Adventure: Barcelona , you'll see a blue "Play Now" button as well as a green "Buy Now" button.

Edited on 07/22/2015 at 11:14:41 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jul 22, 15 11:16 AM
Now that some clarification has been provided, I do want to remind everyone that the purpose of this forum is to discuss Divine Academy itself, and not the type of game that it is. We also need to keep the Forum Rules in mind, specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Do not discuss other game sites or game companies, positively or negatively, by name or by nickname.

Moving forward, let's keep the focus of this discussion on the game. If this thread continues on an off-topic tangent, it will need to be locked.

I hope this clears things up, but don't hesitate to contact any of the Mods if we can help with anything else.

bfgWaimea

Edited on 07/22/2015 at 11:17:12 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 22, 15 6:19 PM
The following is not directed at anyone specific, but just a general observation:

Nobody is forced to buy any in-game items. It's the impatient player who the developers rely on to hand over their money. All F2P games can be played without ever handing over real money.
I have heard many excuses as to why someone just HAS to buy something in order to advance in the game, and that it is IMPOSSIBLE to continue if they didn't buy something.
You can always fool yourself, of course, in thinking that you simply NEED to buy things otherwise you are stuck. But in reality, you don't have to pay a penny for these games.

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Jul 29, 15 7:36 AM
My first experience with FTP games was My Singin Monsters. Unfortunately I spent about $20 on that. I installed and played a second one on my laptop and the difference in time was about 3 months to get to the same point I reached with paying for bonuses.
After that I vowed not to pay for any more of these games.
I have since played Archie Riverdale Rescue, Build a lot World (golds on all levels), Farm Frenzy Inc, and now Divine Academy.
If Bigfish wants to give away games for free and bank on impatient players then all to the good for the players.
All these games can be played without spending money, just have patience and play the game as much as you can and when you strilke a limit, then go play another game til the time passes when you can play the FTP game again.
If a lot more people follow that premise after being bitten once then I feel that FTP games will lose their attraction for Bigfish and any others that run / design those games.

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,168 Posts

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Jul 29, 15 8:26 AM
I love playing this game. It has all the elements that I enjoy, though some of the wait times are a little extreme. I figured to spend only as much as any game would cost me, and no more. I don't care for the idea of FTP games, but I'm patient enough to work around them.

That being said, the real issue is that the game was made available and is still available with very serious glitches. Unsuspecting new players are downloading, playing AND paying for a game that is likely to steal their time and money only to give back heartache and frustration.

With a FTP game, the time you spend playing is far more valuable than with a game purchased out right. Why? Because FTP game charge you to save time or rather they make "time" into a currency that can be exchanged for real money. Every minute spent on the game equals crystals you could have spent to save that time. Glitches that erase time spent is the same as stealing currency (and thus money) from the players. This says nothing for actual crystals spent and lost.

With a paid for game, you don't have that time currency built in. So you don't have the stress of wasting "money".

So please, BFG, add a warning for new players that the game is badly glitched and will likely steal their "money" if they play. At least until the known glitch is fixed. Other products, that are flawed as badly as this one, get recalled/refunded and sellers are not allowed to continue selling said faulty product. How is it that BFG is not held to the same standard?

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Jul 30, 15 12:30 AM
And another important point.
With these games there is a server side of the game that has to be maintained.
eg in My Singing Monsters, the game logs in ,
What happens if in 5 years time / 10 years time there are very few or not enough players using it to require maintainence. Does the game get dropped.
I like the standalone games that require no extra verification support from a distant server as I will be able to play my old favorites further into the future (given that operating systems do not change enough to make them unworkable).
Currently I have been replaying Youda Survivors and Moai and Weatherlord. Will these FTP games be maintained indefinitely or do they have a end date and so will not be able to be replayed much later.
But as mentioned elswhere it is also disappointin that Divine Academy is not complete like other paid games, and that apparently some are having to wait for some updates to be able to continue.

Edited on 07/30/2015 at 12:33:16 AM PST

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

Magistrate

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Aug 8, 15 8:24 AM
How do level up the magistrate? Sorry if that's a dumb questions; but I've been playing for days and can't move on until I do that. Thanks.

Go to: