cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Defenders of Law comments and reviews

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 25, 09 1:19 AM
Poodlebear said
Another small complaint is the briefcase that zips out to gobble up the found item each time. I found it distracting and annoying

I found this sooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying that I only managed to play the first 2 scenes before I had to make a swift exit. It is bad enough that they had to make the briefcase white in the first place but to have it zipping in and out for every single item was just the most aggravating thing going. There is no way that I would buy this game with that briefcase in it. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Remove the briefcase and just let the items vanish and I will buy the game.

C

ykempy
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by ykempy on Jul 25, 09 9:43 AM
I am on chapter 6 and cannot turn off any of the lights, anybody else had this problem?

Masquerade32
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Masquerade32 on Jul 25, 09 3:23 PM
ykempy wrote:I am on chapter 6 and cannot turn off any of the lights, anybody else had this problem?

Are there windows? Are there curtains? Can you close any curtains?

[Post New]by Skiasma on Jul 25, 09 3:35 PM
Just joined the BigFish forums so I could comment on this game, as I wanted to grouse. I've played a number of HOG over the years, and was astonished at how direly boring this game was.

General comments: The art was reasonably okay manga-style, nothing super, but not ghastly. As a freelance illustrator, I find that style is a good if bland way to get images across. The music/sound was unremarkable (which for me is actually a plus, as I find myself playing to zero volume with some games). The rooms each had amusing features, with some nice details that lent an air of things gone awry without getting gory. The scrolling news bar was amusing.

But the special elements that they added to separate this game from the rest seemed pretty poorly used. There's the blue light and the magnifier, both of which seem to have no point other than a different way to click on an object. The flashlight, meanwhile, has absolutely no reason to exist in the game and is the most pointless element I've seen in any HOG. Yes, you can click on some drawers and objects, but it just feels kind of make-shift busy work, and the feature isn't used in combination with the blue light. That might have at least provided a bit more challenge. The briefcase was deeply annoying, visually. The trial bit is unrealistic, and the science bit, urgh. What was the point?

All in all, it's too simplistic for most adults, and probably not interesting enough for teens. The only point of curiosity for me is what all the mini-games might be, there seems to be so many to unlock!... and yet the idea of trying to play it again... no. Despite saying it varies the clues and whodunnit, I doubt the objects move. It was enough of a struggle to finish the game once, and no alluring mini-games will make me consider playing it again. I'd rather play Clue.

All that, and I usually like games I get from Big Fish!

Edited on 07/25/2009 at 3:37:44 PM PST

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Jul 25, 09 3:56 PM
I only played the demo. The only thing I liked was when I'm tired and don't need to think at all, this is the game I might choose. However, I wasn't interested enough to buy it.

[Post New]by johnann1 on Jul 25, 09 6:47 PM
I am new at these games and am totally confused as to how to find the fingerprint and the footprint. I used hints and it circles an area but I click and nothing happens please tell me what I am doing wrong, this is at the early part of this gams

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 25, 09 7:36 PM
Johnann, you need to first turn off the room light (light switch, close curtains, for example), then turn on the black light (in the lower left corner) and use it to scan the scene. When you see a bright "hot spot," you will have found an item.

Good luck! Glad to have you join the forum! Feel free to send me a personal message (PM button on this post) if you are still confused. I'm not always on line, but I do answer as fast as I can.

[Post New]by brandy588 on Jul 25, 09 8:45 PM
Ya all should feel lucky to be able to play this game at all. I downloaded this game twice and both times my screen would flash between the game and my windows background. I had to restart my computer to get it to quit.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 26, 09 11:46 AM
I like this game. It is not the greatest HOG for sure, but it has untimed mode, which I very like. I bought it. I give it three stars

[Post New]by sugarmountain on Jul 26, 09 1:05 PM
Surprising only one other person reported not even being able to run this game. Thinking I had a "bad" download, I downloaded it a second time. The screen looks like blocks of the graphics have loaded in random places ??? Luckily the three fingered salute brings up the task manager, and I can shut down the program. My computer meets the stated system requirements ( even downloaded the latest updates to DirectX 9 ), but no luck. From most of the reviews, I guess it's no great loss that I can't even run the program.

texasloony
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by texasloony on Jul 26, 09 4:00 PM
yes it is an easy HOG but its great for the price
ty bfg

Bitte
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Bitte on Jul 28, 09 4:50 AM
Solve another case...??
When I finished the game there was a possibility to solve another case. When clicking on it, a window came up where different icons showed up. But it stopped at the Rosendale's case once again ?!
Is there more crimes to solve in this game ?
If so, how to find them ?
B rgds
Bitte

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Jul 29, 09 3:20 AM
Like everyone else I found this game to be boring and will not be buying it. I had a few problems with the cursor and it was also slow changing from one room to another. Sorry just not my cup of tea.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Jun 26, 10 1:45 PM
Thanks, to all of you for cluing us in. I downloaded the game only to find I or someone had played the free game. I don't remember it at all. So maybe it was that forgetable or someone else played it. Which is why I wish we could access a little bit. Five minutes or so would help. My preview screen the one you can click on and close when finished. Dosen't work anymore hasn't for awhile now its just a nice white box. Anyway, Thanks again for the help.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 12, 10 3:08 PM
I bought it for $2.99. A good buy at $2.99. It has an untimed mode, which is always a plus. If you get a chance for a DD it is worth it. I wouldn't be happy at full price tho'

Emmie1956
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Emmie1956 on Sep 14, 10 5:23 PM
This was one the most boring games I've ever played. I used up 10 minutes of trial time trying to open it; then only played it to see what a "Didgeridoo" was (still don't know, even after finding it). Graphics weren't good, a bit blurry. When I think something is [b]BORING, it is, as at 73 yrs old, I'm pretty easily entertained.

zzzzzzzz!

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 5:25:38 PM PST

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 16, 10 5:47 PM
I think I probably would have bought this when I first joined BF, but I have so many games of this type, meaning basically long lists of HOs to find and not much else to do, that I don't really need another. Plus I am being spoiled by too many of the newer games that are more simulating and challenging. Still, this isn't a bad game for straight HOG gamers, especially at $2.99.

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Sep 18, 10 10:46 AM
not for me! the game was so boring I almost fell asleep and the suitcase opening every time I found an object got on my nerves.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Sep 19, 10 5:55 PM
This game was offered June, 2010 at $2.99. It was worth $2.99.

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Sep 20, 10 5:03 PM
I bought the game for $2.99 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a straight up HOG, and doesn't pretend to be an adventure, so I'm wondering why people who buy a HOG are surprised when that's what they get. Graphics are good, and using the flashlight, magnifying glass, and black light were cute effects. I have a stressful job, and when I play games, mainly I play them for distraction. Once in a while its just fine with me to have a game with NO glitches, NO timers, NO puzzles that require me to be a mechanical engineer or try to re-invent the wheel... . I really like a challenge/adventure, but a game like this is just fine when I just want to kick back , listen to some music, play the game and give my brain a rest. Also, at the end of this game there are a slew of match games [ala "Concentration"] you can play, and I love them!! .......all in all a fun experience

Go to: