Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Beyond: Light Advent Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jul 26, 15 5:08 AM
9otters wrote:I appreciate the effort to bring something new to the table, but overall, not very exciting. Would take something more to move me to explore it beyond the demo.

Mini-games pretty easy. Too much "conversation" that can't be moved along. LOTS of "video". I prefer playing the game, as opposed to watching it.

Thar was the exact reason my demo was cut short.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 26, 15 5:13 PM
Hello friends! I beta tested this one a while back and really liked it. Carl definitely really is a true geek, don't you think? Game play was very good, absolutely no problems during the demo. Very bright and true colors for a change. At first I thought we would have a problem with the blues and pinks, but not. Graphics and animation are very well done. Voice overs fit the characters, right down to the sinister sounding bad guy, and dialog can be clicked through if you read faster than they speak. I do like this feature a lot. A truly awesome aspect of this game is the addition of 3D animation. This is exceptionally well done. Doesn't happen often, but it is so cool when it does. Play it to see what I'm talking about, but pay attention (no spoiler here). Music is very nice and moves with what is happening in a scene at the time...good, bad, scary, edge of your seat and all. Sound FX are also very well done.

HOPs are nice and clean, but nothing new. You do have morphing objects in them and there is an icon above your hint button that indicates if you have found it or not. Hint system works very well and is quite helpful. The only thing I didn't care for was the radar thing that ran across the screen every time you asked for a hint. A little bit of bright lights with that one. The map is a bit odd in the set up. It shows you where you can go next, but if you haven't already been there, you won't jump there. You have to actually "walk" to that area first for the jump feature to work. I didn't even look at the SG this time, but then I only use it to make sure I have all of the collectibles anyway.

The only collectibles I saw are 44 space ships. They can be difficult to see at times, but there is an icon above the hint button that tells you if you have it or not. I did find a couple that were only outlines, so be on the lookout for them. There are numerous objectives for each level in this game and it is fun trying to figure out what they are.

I really like the story line in this game. It is fun, interesting and keeps you wanting more. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, of course I'm going to add this one to my collection. It is a very nice CE!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jul 27, 15 2:32 AM
Based on the demo: just one word "awsome"!

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jul 27, 15 9:50 AM
If Contact and Independence Day had a game baby, this is it, but without the excitement. I don't know why I bother getting excited over sci-fi games. They're always so tediously boring. I liked that their was very little hand-holding in this game, though. I'll get the SE maybe, there wasn't enough for me to want to buy the CE. I thought too much of the demo was terrible conversations and showing off the artwork.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jul 27, 15 5:15 PM
I just want to say a HUGE KUDOS to Mad Head Games and BF for one of the best games I have played. Can't say enough about this game it has it all. The graphics and story and all the bells and whistles that I enjoy are all rolled into one in this game. Please keep them coming. Well worth every penny, really really enjoyed this game. Thanks much x 10,

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jul 27, 15 6:12 PM
What I like about it is that it's a different and unique story that drew me in. What I don't like is that it's pretty linear, which makes the gameplay boring. Also, the "custom" setting included a mandatory misclick penalty. We should be able to customize that as well.

Edited on 07/27/2015 at 6:13:07 PM PST

MaryD1215
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MaryD1215 on Jul 28, 15 3:41 PM
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the story. Really nice change. However, there were WAY to many cut scenes, they were WAY too long and many of them had no skip option. I got so bored waiting for those scenes to finish, I was watching tv while I waited. I never do that. So all in all, though I was really pleased with the story, this is a definite no buy for me.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

The Visitor (spoiler on at least the bonus chapter maybe)

[Post New]by kandinsky on Jul 29, 15 11:53 AM
First the game seems to show imagination and attention of the sort used in the cadenza games I love and if I write a regular review I guess it is five stars in that this attentiveness seems more than about any other developer shows. I would say the imagination concentrated in New Orleans in the cadenza games makes them hold together more than that spread over the universe and back in time here but that is unavoidable.

what I would like to comment on is the matter of the visitor in the bonus chapter
(cover your eyes kids if you dont want a spoiler of sorts). I will also allow myself a freedom of speech and subject I would not use in a formal review.

we are shown a cosmic being willing to suggest mortal beings have no place in his universe, this at least as a test for our heroine, but a test suggesting a harsh view of the nature of humanity which would not be proposed by any being who already knew the hearts (both of those tested) and of mortal men and women with all the glory and horror they hold... the visitor will hardly do as God and yet he does not seem to fit either as a divine emissary does he?
in general the visitor comes off like a combination of Galactus and the Silver Surfer in the comic fantastic four. in fact the whole dealing of the visitor with Diana makes less sense the more you think about it and then the 'Ill be back' business implies he has made no deep decision about the nature of mortal beings at all and whether they belong in his universe.

Is this the state of the art understanding ,at least for popular imaging, of the way the universe works if we imagine a higher power of some sort?
Or perhaps at this point in the game attention , or resources of thought, failed or flagged a little and various not even very self consistent cliches were reached for?

Edited on 07/29/2015 at 1:54:31 PM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jul 29, 15 6:37 PM
I need help, finished main game.I clicked on extras and for the life of me I can't find the Bonus Game.Just about every thing I clickon says finish Bonus Game frist,but oin earth do you do that if you can't find it

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

finding bonus game

[Post New]by kandinsky on Jul 30, 15 6:33 AM
it seems to me that the way it worked was that you just click play and it takes you to the bonus game, and every time you click on play thereafter the same. hope this is correct memory and that it helps!

Atardecer
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Atardecer on Jul 31, 15 10:38 AM
At last we got something different for a change! I really liked this game. Wish there is more like this. HO Games are almost the same. What happen with Large files or really Adventure games? Anyway, I recommend this game if you are a guy or a girl!!

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Aug 3, 15 10:28 AM
I just finished the demo and am loving this game so far! Never was a huge sci-fi fan but can enjoy it when it's done well and this one is done well. Original storyline, absolutely top knotch graphics, and love the 50's setting. I've played only one "sci-fi" game here, Inbetween Land, and was very disappointed when the sci-fi angle was dropped after the demo ended. Distrusted anything since then with a supposedly sci-fi angle to it. I really really hope that this one doesn't disappoint as I plan to buy it on the next big sale. Going by other reviewers, it looks promising!

ETA: and this game is definitely NOT just 'for the boys'. Adventurous gals (pun intended) are enjoying it too!

Edited on 08/03/2015 at 10:30:22 AM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Aug 5, 15 11:33 AM
I decided to take advantage of today's big sale and bought the game today. Although not a big fan of CEs, I hadn't realized how many other games from this developer I already have and love, so I convinced myself that if I'm enjoying the main game so much, why wouldn't I also like the bonus chapter and whatever else is included? I want to support this developer as much as I can and Mad Head has proven that it stands up just as well as, or better than, other big names out there.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Aug 10, 15 11:54 PM
Oh my This is so wonderful! I love this game and want to tell the developers what a perfectly perfect game. I'm even enjoying the music The Cadenza games were delightful too. You are nailing it! Please! More like this!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 15, 15 9:00 PM
I like this game although there are things about it I hate. The thing I hate the most is that sometimes the hints repeatedly tell me I need to do something that I already know I need to do but I can't find the item I need to do it. I already know I need to open the chest. Where's the KEY?? My vision is not that good anymore!

Also, the wallpapers don't work.

I haven't completed the game because I got disgusted with not being able to find the key to open the chest and decided to quit for awhile.

The graphics are excellent, story line is excellent, mini games are excellent.

Well, maybe I'll finally give up and check the guide to see if it will tell me where that pesky key is hiding.

Happy gaming!

HerrFlick
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by HerrFlick on Aug 25, 15 12:11 PM
Played the survey, it was great. Bought the game, my biggest mistake ever.

[Post New]by acmcmillon on Sep 17, 15 3:12 PM
This game is quite possibly the BEST game I have EVER played...I...absolutely...loved it!!! So new, different, immersive, engaging, thought provoking...I could go on...but I won't, lol! I just completed the bonus game and I was surprised and elated with every facet of the continuance...WOW!!! We need more like this, I am a science fiction addict and anything space oriented is my stee-lo. Please, please, follow up Beyond Light Advent with a part 2, I will be waiting! I was about to give up on buying hidden object/adventure games because they were so predictable and just about all the same, just different titles, but this game gives me hope for the future of point and click gamers like myself...WELL DONE BigFish!!!

Go to: