Beating Gyendal

Hallber
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Beating Gyendal

[Post New]by Hallber on Aug 5, 09 4:34 AM
bronte311 wrote:I finally beat him, right after equipping Galahad with a charmed sword instead of with Thor. I think I probably just got lucky, though, and it had nothing to do with that! Basically I ended up poisoning him with the Spider Egg and then having Lydia and Galahad keep attacking him (Lydia using "Siren") while Mel and Edward passed out elixirs and Cassia leaves, two items I had LOTS of!

I used an Ossimum (?) sword with Galahad (purchased in Nayalith) and he did a lot of damage with it before croaking just before the end of the battle!

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,558 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Aug 5, 09 5:20 AM
I also equipped my fave characters, Mel + Galahad + Edward + Lydia ( you just gotta love her mage skills, not neccessarily what else falls out of her mouth) with their very best equipment/armor and a mixed variety of amulets.
I alternated between Lydia's Siren and Pooka.
Alternated between Mel's Trip and full out Attack. she's quite good with her Osmium Dagger.
Galahad can be a weak sister in regards to magical damage so I kept a close eye on him throughout the battle but he wields Thor with authority....I'm going to try out that other sword (enchanted ?) in my secondary game.
Edward, bless the deluded lad, is just so noble and righteous I couldn't leave him out of the battle but I really would like to see what Ulf can do with Istorm.
When possible, I used the non-magic wielding members to throw assorted pet eggs and spell scrolls and heal up with Tinctura Hypericum (I had collected 6 vials, NEED MORE !!).
I'm not sure if it was the combination of Spider Eggs and Weevil Scrolls which lead to Gyendals' ultimate demise, must devise alternate stratagies for future rematches!!
All in all, quite a spectacular Boss fight!!

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 7, 09 12:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ulf in battle. He's terrific once you get him loaded up. I beat Gyendal with Mel, Edward, Lydia, and Ulf. Pooka, Siren and Succubus worked great but Succubus was my favourite. Use it on both Lydia AND Gyendal. Make sure you have lots of cassia leaves and elixirs and things to boost Lydia's magic every now and then.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 7, 09 3:49 PM
Wow, I just finished the game at expert level, and even though everyone was at around level 45/46 this was definitely the toughest battle I ever had! It took 6 spider eggs before Gyendal was poisoned, all Lydia's spells were merely tickling him and he kept throwing lightning grid after lightning grid! At one point he wiped out my entire party in one blow, before I could get a chance to use my tinctura hypericum, except Edward was hanging on by 32 HP. So I used elixir on Edward, but before he could take it, Gyendal struck again...!!! I was sure I'd lose Edward too this time, but Gyendal's hit MISSED! So I managed to restore Edward's health, have him revive the others and win the battle. I barely got a hit in, only tried to stay alive through these lightning grids, but the poison did enough damage for Gyendal to be defeated.... phew. That was exciting...

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Aug 8, 09 7:42 PM
Even though you can't kill her, it's worth trying to hit Stella if you can paralyze her in some way. It's not "cost-effective" to use Mel's trip skill on her; it's so short-lived that it's best used on Gyendal. However, if you can get her with a spell or something, it's well worth it.

The easiest way to do this is with the Medusa Sword, if you happen to get it when you fight Medusa (about a 1:4 or 1:5 chance). It uses Stone gaze on most monsters (even flowers and glitters). I actually got through this battle with virtually no damage (though, admittedly, I was at the easy level)...froze Stella, and alternated between freezing and tripping Gyendal. I know Lydia also has a spell that paralyzes, as well.

blitzen13
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by blitzen13 on Aug 9, 09 10:39 AM
Finally! I was getting sooooo frustrated! My character levels were only in the mid-30's and I had already used up a lot of my elixirs and health items fighting other creatures. I wasn't able to go back to town and stock up before facing Gyendal, either. It took me at least a couple of dozen tries, and I had to sit through that long dialogue EVERY time, but I finally did it! (Note to game designers, you should have made a spot just AFTER the dialogue where you can save your game before fighting Gyendal, it was so annoying!).

here is what worked for me:
--Use a Spider's Egg right away, the poison causes constant attrition and offsets Stella's healing efforts. Sometimes the egg doesn't work so use more than one if you can (I only had one left!)
--Same with Weevil Scroll.
--Use Mel's Trip skill to good effect, it makes Gyendal lose a turn (and thanks to someone on here for reminding me of that). Has anyone tried using it on Stella?
--Mel is not a great fighter, so use her mostly to revive the others
--Keep Lydia strong, she is your best asset. Siren, Pooka, and the Paralyze spells work the best

Dude12234
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Dude12234 on Aug 9, 09 7:36 PM
I actually beat him first time through. Most powerful weapon isn't always the biggest. Galahad is a monster when wielding Medusa's Sword. Very few fights were hard, freeze an enemy thats annoying you and kill the rest.

Hit Stella with Galahad until she is stoned, then she just sits there forever. Continue attacking Gyendal, and if you need some time to heal up, hit him with galahad only till frozen, heal up and continue the beatings. If he gets stoned any time before he acts, you get a free round, or if you don't hit him at all when he is stoned.

I had more problems freeing mel, seemed the vampires were immune to stoned, and forgot to save before entering the castle.

Normal level btw, never got to use the level eggs, was saving it till I had all characters in party, discovered Stella doesn't re-join.

party was Mel, Edward, Galahad, and Ulf

blitzen13
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by blitzen13 on Aug 9, 09 7:58 PM
Where did you get this Medusa Sword from?

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 9, 09 8:13 PM
Apparently, sometimes you get it after you fight Medusa in the Mirror Caves! I've not found it yet myself, but this time I'm going to fight Medusa until I get it

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Aug 9, 09 11:18 PM
There are 5 possible outcomes from fighting Medusa: Doublet, Shield, Robe, Sword, or nothing.

I did find out that if you save before looting the corpse, you don't have to fight the battle multiple times. (On my last run through the game, I fought this battle about 8 times to get the sword, before I knew this). Once I had it, I never upgraded to anything else - it's my favorite weapon for Galahad.

I haven't found out if any of the other items are special enough to warrant keeping them, but if anyone has feedback on them, I'd love to know.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 9, 09 11:48 PM
Would you believe I played the game start to finish three times and never got anything from Medusa? Now I've finally got the sword, but I don't think I'll try and play it again with any of the other items

[Post New]by ladypunx on Aug 11, 09 11:32 AM
I had mine only at level 39, but I put Stella, Galahad, Edward and Mel. Using Stella's Succubus really helped out with about 8000-9000 hit points, but lost her after I got hit with the lightening grid spell. I kept using elixers and witchroot too. It took a while but I got through!

Yarnalee
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Yarnalee on Aug 11, 09 12:49 PM
Hallber wrote:Don't forget that Edward has Excalibur. All that sword needs is jewels and a dip in the special fountain at Aveyond to turn into a mega weapon!

(smacks self on forehead in disbelief) How could I have missed that?!? I did one jewel and then forgot all about that feature. Gosh! I guess I'll just have to play it ONE MORE TIME... (maniacal gleam in eyes)

[Post New]by wastebitch on Aug 12, 09 6:30 AM
I tried to beat Stella and Gyendal several times, but finally I used Lydia to cast weewils and spider egg and then i used Mel to put "trip" on Stella. Mell missed some of the times, but at last I won!

MooShuRox
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by MooShuRox on Aug 12, 09 4:31 PM
Ok why can't Stella have a limitless magic supply when she's hanging out with my guys? she HAD to develop that little trick just as she goes over to the dark side? boo.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 12, 09 5:03 PM
MooShuRox wrote:Ok why can't Stella have a limitless magic supply when she's hanging out with my guys? she HAD to develop that little trick just as she goes over to the dark side? boo.
LOL! I know! It's not fair, is it!

[Post New]by narcici on Aug 16, 09 4:37 AM
cyam wrote:This works for me, I use on all my chars the Berseks Amulets and Lydia use the Mortmal's Swarm Spell 2 times, that make stella and Gyendal poison, so every strike he hit he got a lot of damage, same with stella, after that keep Lidya using the Siren Spell. And yes keep ur atack focus in Gyendal, maybe 5 minuts and u done, just a lot of patient, but to me works really good, i finish the game twice

Yes that's really important to use Lydia's Mortmal's Swarm Spell and put on Berseks Amulets for everyone in Battle

If Gyendal hasn't been posioned, try it again until he is posioned! Then use Siren after that. Thus every turn he would lose around 9000 points, which is a biiger number than the sum you beat him by four char's skills!! This skill would make your battle totally different to lead you to the success.

Also, you need to pay attention to every char's HP! If it's below 700, I advise that use Mel to recharge Exlr for that member because she makes the least damage to enemy. Gyendal's Light spell makes the most damage. Once he used this spell you would better recharge full HP for two members at least and the other two next round. Dont't hurry fighting when more than two members are with little amount of blood.

Edited on 08/16/2009 at 4:44:12 AM PST

eliwin1021
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by eliwin1021 on Aug 16, 09 9:44 AM
I didn't read all of the replies, so I may be repeating someone else's advise, but I found the weevils scroll to be useful, if you have one. I don't think you can buy one at this point if you done. But that scroll keeps doing lots of damage (much more than all the characters in one turn), more than Stella can heal, and it's a good way to make progress. No matter what it takes forever because of all the healing.

eliwin1021
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by eliwin1021 on Aug 16, 09 9:55 AM
Also, don't forget about the tinctura hypericum - heals and refills magic for everyone to the fullest.

[Post New]by Summalumm on Aug 18, 09 1:45 PM
you know, this really sucks cuz i'm stuck too right before the battle, with VERY little supplies. Now i have to return to the VERY beginning because i don't have a previous save. I think this is a major flaw in the game... oh well, at least i'm sort of getting my moneys worth.

Go to: