ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Pure Hidden comments and reviews

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 4, 09 9:36 AM
It's prety simple, Chinadoll -- there are boxes that you open one at a time (you have to finish a certain amount of one box to get to the next), but all you've opened stay open and can be replayed. Many boxes are HOG games of wildly different styles. I find some harder and some easier. One asks you to find dozens of butterfly shapes in a green-on-green environment. I thought that was tough, but a lot of fun. Another is sort of a Superman cartoon strip, and it made me crazy, but I solved it. Each game tells you the objects you have to find. The hint function is difficult to figure out (look at Poodle's post).

Aside from the HOG games there are other mini-games like spot-the-difference, connect-the-pipes and such. Not very hard so far. The game is very large, and given the opportunity to replay individual "boxes," I think it will be fun for a long time.

Poodle is right, you will either love or hate this game. The objects are sometimes VERY hard to find, and other times just cleverly hidden in plain sight. The individual HOG games vary in difficulty. And the art is different each time, very interesting and some if it quite lovely. So I'm a fan at this point (once Poodle told me how to lose my frustration with the hint function).

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Aug 4, 09 9:41 AM
Looking at the gallery from the main menu looks like there are 30 Hidden Object screens, that supposedly you can set as your wallpaper, but this feature didn't seem to work. There is a fabulous one with panthers on a nightime roofscape and I set it but it was just black when I left the game and Windows thought I still had the Dracula wallpaper I've had forever. If you can get this working this is a wonderful additional bonus feature as the art is soooo good.

Love this game. Must go to bed now, been unable to make myself because I'm too curious to see what's in the next box...

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Aug 4, 09 9:42 AM
love it, love it, love it......poodlebear, how come you are right all the time...lol.....i like the fact that you dont have to finish each section to go onto the next, but can anyone tell me how to skip a mini puzzle please, i have no idea, i will buy this when i get this months game credit x x x

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Aug 4, 09 10:10 AM
Didn't hate the game but found it very hard, at times, on my eyes.
Bright colors, many levels, choice of no timer, generous hint system -
Eyestrain, sometimes objects hard to find even with hint -

Just not for me.

Forgot to add - there is a black/white hidden object level - for me it was eyestrain

Sometimes there is an arrow in the lower left side of screen to skip mini-games or if not the hint button was helpful for solving

Edited on 08/04/2009 at 10:42:21 AM PST

Katydidit1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by Katydidit1 on Aug 4, 09 10:21 AM
I am really loving this game! The quirkyness to it is fun and it is a step up from same old, same old HOG's. I don't mind bouncing sheep, popping bubbles or whatever as long as the game is keeping me intrigued I am enjoying it. So...this one is a GO for me.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 09 10:52 AM
I suppose Poodle and others are right when they say this is one you either love or hate, but I for one love it! I've played the game as an evaluation and also 30 minutes of the BF demo, and it will be a definite buy for me.

Several things stand out to me.

1. The way the items to find are SOO cleverly hidden in the background pictures! This makes it a little tough at times, but also so much more fun to finally find something. The items definitely don't stare you in the face, and yet, when you find something you sometimes still get that DUH! feeling. The items are hidden so that they are part of the background scene sometimes, and although not all items are things you would expect to find in a place such as the background scene, many of them are. For instance, a fire hydrant is in an outdoor scene....just not where you'd expect it to be in the outdoor scene. BUT it at least wasn't indoors! LOL! Those who commented on the art are so correct. I love the way the objects blend into the artwork as well.

2. I like the way you can find a certain number of items in a scene and then the name of an item will come up "grayed out", and once you find that item, it will open the next box. That means you can stop looking in that scene and go to the next one and come back to the previous without having to restart the previous scene!

3. I like the variety between hidden object and other types of games. I don't think I've gotten to the previously mentioned sheep yet, but I did get to do the pipe game.

4. For some reason, the hint system didn't trip me up as much as others, and boy does it ever refill quickly! What you need to do is click on the hint button and then on the name of the object you can't find. Then, the hint will give you a circle area to look in for that object. I've seen this in other games or at least something very similar. In the 1st Margrave Mansion game, you have to click on the hint button first and then the name of the object, but then I think this one actually points out the exact item. And, the Margrave game pops a screen up EVERY SINGLE time tellilng you to click on a list item which gets OLD quickly!

5. So..my next thing is that I like the fact that it makes you think through some things. LOL!

6. For me, this is a relaxing game that keeps you guessing about what's going to be in the next box, but also doesn't add any stress at all since you don't even have to entirely finish a box before getting to go to the next one.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Aug 4, 09 11:15 AM
I'm a bit confused about all the kudos for this game. Must just be me. The graphics are good, but they should be since they are all very simplistic. Reminds me of a combo of child's drawings-comic strip-scrapbook type of thing. Some of the ****'s are so blended into the background of the same color, I couldn't even find them with a hint. A few were downright invisable. The mini games were too easy and some were just weird. Why would I enjoy popping some balloons or making sheep jump a fence for example? The game was nice enough in other areas and it is different, but not a game I wanted to buy right after the demo.

I'm giving it 3 stars just for the fact that it's not a run of the mill **** game, but I found it rather boring most of the time.

kowen
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by kowen on Aug 4, 09 11:17 AM

I don't understand what I'm doing in this game. In the 1st screen I found the seven items and then they turned grey but I had no where to go. Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to do after I find the 1st seven items? I've never been so tripped up in a game.

Thanks,
Kathy

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 4, 09 11:34 AM
It's a beautiful, interesting HOG--and I give the designers a lot of credit for creating something that feels fresh. Having said that, I won't be buying; this is not a reflection on the game but rather an indication of my gaming tastes having veered away from straight HOGs.

I would recommend it highly, though, to someone who only has a few HOGs under their belt.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Aug 4, 09 11:48 AM
just downloaded game .hope i like it,will let you know.happy gaming.

[Post New]by Renesky on Aug 4, 09 11:54 AM
I'm really digging "Pure Hidden". The one-hour free trial flew by and I've now purchased the game. I agree with a previous poster who called this 'interactive art'. The graphics are fantastic and refreshingly retro-modern. I'm a big fan of the "Mystery Case Files" series and I found this a delightful surprise. The hidden-object scenes are challenging and clever, and the simpler minigames are very casual. I had no difficulty with the hint system as it was explained early in the game. In some ways, the graphics remind me of the "Katamari" games for Playstation, while the minigames remind me of Ferry Halim's ultra-casual "Orisinal" games. I hope to see more stuff like this in the future.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Aug 4, 09 12:47 PM
i am ambivalent about this game, but will probably get it. It is giving me a bit of a headache, but cataract surgery next Monday may make a big difference, or at least I hope so. When I began play I thought I would hate it, but by the time I was down to two minutes, I was pretty well convinced I wanted to get it. I agree that it is a most unusual game, and the objects certainly can be difficult to almost impossible to find. Sometimes when I found an object, I wanted to stand up and cheer! For all that is different and good about this game, the next time around the developers should leave out the bathroom (just how do you get the wind chimes to play?) and music screens. Hurrah for those who think outside the box. I wish I could!

NancyJ7253
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by NancyJ7253 on Aug 4, 09 1:27 PM
In response to cinadoll16 here's what you do...You find the objects or solve whatever puzzle and you're given an item that will 'open' the next box. It appears in a little pop-out screen to the left, you click on it and put it on the corresponding box then click on the box again to open the new game.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one after reading the little blurb so I tried the demo and was so taken by it that I bought it. I find it quite enjoyable and wait in slight anticipation wondering what type of game will pop up next. Yes, some of the games are easy and some are difficult. The black and white hidden object one was a challenge, at least for me. I like the idea of being able to quit playing and coming back later to work on it some more without it being some sort of story to follow or one of a trilogy and have to wait till next year for the next one to come out in the series. I love the artiness. To me it makes the game fun. Some games go more quickly than others and yes, I'm not real fond of the bathroom fix-up but there's even little games that go with that; although they are quite simple.

So as has already been stated by some, you will either love it or hate it. Me, I loved it. Thanks for picking this one up.

grsloop
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by grsloop on Aug 4, 09 3:09 PM
I've been playing non-stop for about 6 hours. Just finished and I want to play again. Yes, some objects are hard to find and some mini-games are simple. But, every scene is different and beautiful and who doesn't love a connect-the-dots puzzle!! The hints are generous and the first time through I kept thinking "just one more box, then I'll stop" HAH!!! Put me in the Love It camp.

sxygrn
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by sxygrn on Aug 4, 09 3:37 PM
I love that it was a different type of HOG. it was great to see some creativity, however, it was extremely boring and too simple. I played for the entire hour and was probably almost done because it was so easy and quick.

[Post New]by auntharriet on Aug 4, 09 4:46 PM
well today i'm recoupeing from one of those--"have you had yours yet" tests....and feeling a little dopey---So was a little afraid to try Pure Hidden......But i did-and Loved it! I too got all caught up in the next box thing.
It feels so different...and i like that the sound track changes with the boxes....And that you can move on-instead of just stareing at the screen looking for that one
elusive -thing-.
So--I'm buying
And don't put off haveing those tests.

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Aug 4, 09 5:28 PM
Just bought it after 20 minutes of play, i like it, made it to the "chicken coop" only. I do not mind that it does not had a story to follow, most have wait too much dialoge and I want to play. I really love adventure HOG, did 2 mimi games and they werealright. Could not tell thought if I was running the sheep into the fence or not, and the scene stared closing in and disappearing. Will play some more now

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Aug 4, 09 7:45 PM
I'm really enjoying this game! Quite funny, and I'm enjoying the French newspaper clippings. The credits are great - so nice to see different folks developing games....

C'est tres jolie, aussi!

Fair

tuezdaye
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by tuezdaye on Aug 4, 09 7:56 PM
I'm in love with this game and I've only played 16 minutes. Wow, the creativity of how this is made is a seriously pleasant surprise.

Excellent!!

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Aug 4, 09 8:09 PM
I am really having a great time with this one. The graphics are so seventies and I love seeing all of them. The hidden objects are fun to find and I just love this one!

Go to: