CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

Re:Delaware St. John - The Curse of Midnight Manor Forum comments and reviews

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Aug 9, 09 9:11 AM
I DLed the games and clicked tutourial,which seemed endless, clicked play and then came credits, endless again and no place to get back to main menu or quit. Wanted to quit and play later because GS was playing a game on his computer and was talking on headset beside me. Only way I could figure out to quit was to restart me laptop. Think I will un-install after reading the forums . Plenty of other games on my waiting to buy list!!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 9, 09 9:12 AM
I played the trial and found this game too boring and it seems flat, if you know what I mean. Just point and click, then listen to voices and see ghosts every once in a while.The trial only lasts about 35 minutes or so with a walkthrough. I looked through the walkthrough and nothing jumped out at me to make me say, I want to buy this game because it looks so interesting. Sorry BF but you won't be getting my $6.99 this time.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 9, 09 9:18 AM
This game came out in 2005 initially and is the first in a series of three games with Delaware St. John. If you want to know more about this game, go to a search engine and type in the title of this game followed by the word reviews---you will find at least two that were put up on other websites at the time the game was released.

Charkbite
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Charkbite on Aug 9, 09 9:49 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I got all excited when I saw the title, but my hopes for a good game has been dashed reading the comments. I hate those 'wandering around endlessly, clicking on everything, and moving slowly along, having to hang on to the dialogue that won't let me skip after I have sped read (hmm, is that a real word, lol) everything. I love the hogs but haven't yet been able to get into a large file one. I have bought several and I, either get bored or so frustrated with the do nothing click heres, that I close out and save for a real drought in games. [u][b]What I would really like is a large file adventure hog.....yeah that would be the ticket.

Hey Wolf, I coulda written that myself, it's dead-on how I feel, too! Especially the part about a large file HOG, holy smokies, now THAT would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!! hint hint, BFG! lol

lauder
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by lauder on Aug 9, 09 10:03 AM
it's a shame cause I needit something 2 play waiting on nancy drew dossier or mary celeste 2 come out.

[Post New]by lingar on Aug 9, 09 10:48 AM
Can't stand the fact that you can't skip the dialogue. Will not be buying this one.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Aug 9, 09 12:25 PM
Before I buy a game, I read what Poodlebear has to say about it. This one I wont even bother to download. Thanks Poo.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Aug 9, 09 12:52 PM
I agree with all the negatives already brought up by others, so I will not repeat them. I am not that great a game player because of my impatience, and not knowing whether I have missed some important piece of the puzzle or it is going to be in the next scene, or the one after that, drives me crazy! For instance, someone posted that before you can get the generator going you have to have a handle for it. A handle? Where am I supposed to find a handle? AND I haven't even found the generator yet, after consulting the walkthrough and going around in circles for several minutes! As for a large case file HOG, I would nominate the Poe game. It has some adventure, but it is mostly a HOG with some easy and skippable puzzles. It is my all-time favorite game thus far! And, while technically not a large case file game, it certainly is a very long one.

scarletrose
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by scarletrose on Aug 9, 09 1:23 PM
I used the walkthrough with this game alot. I didn.t care for the chase scenes to much. I had to restart a couple times because I wasn,t fast enough. What really upset me is when you finish the game you are forced to watch five minutes of credits. I just wish there was a way to get them moving, if they are going to force you to watch them. I just left room till it was done. Then I could exit game. Only had 35 minute trial.Trial ends at end of first story or 1 hr of play.I kind of liked the plot and think there is room to expand another game. Fun story line. Lots of extra doors that are not needed.

[Post New]by Cherbaer on Aug 9, 09 1:26 PM
I can't even play because the cursor doesn't come up. Usually you can go to the options and turn it off to correct the problem but not in this game. Very disappointed.

[Post New]by karyssa7 on Aug 9, 09 1:32 PM
I bought the game for my daughter. she loved it and finished it we love big fish

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Aug 9, 09 3:00 PM
Hi Guys

Yea me too, walking round getting lost I couldn't even remember how to get back upstairs from the basement, the only key I found was on the reception desk upstairs in the tutorial which enabled me to open one of the doors then went downstairs swishing around in the water with my wellies anyway once I got back upstairs apart from the teenage ghosts I couldn't find anything that I could open or pick up and what is behind that desk in reception, the eye said there is something I couldn't find it, the most annoyng thing is the credits at the beginning, arent these supposed to be at the end?? I had a quick look through the walkthrough and like many others nothing jumped out at me to encourage me to buy this. I am at present working my way through Black Mirror ...... jeeze that is a toughie and after this I vow never to do anymore large file games. I agree with a lot of peeps RTR as a large file would deffo make me spend a credit though. I won't be buying this one

[Post New]by blndntdmb on Aug 9, 09 3:14 PM
I'm sorry but do I get credit for all the wasted minutes waiting for the credits and the talking. So far I haven't even played the game.....

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Aug 9, 09 4:23 PM
I would never, ever buy another Delaware St. John after "The Seacliff Tragedy'' which I purchased at full price a few years back. It was nothing more than a maze, at night, with a flashlight. Spent most of my time going around in circles. I never bothered to finish it. Total ripoff and annoying game.

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Aug 9, 09 4:43 PM
OK OK as I mentioned on my other thread (Welcome to Delaware) I finally got the generator going but for the next 30 minutes I have just been walking up and down stairs and trying all the doors. I figured something would happen with the blurry picture upstairs but not for me. I did the whole hour and accomplished only one thing. ??? Plus I almost took pics of every scene but zilch.

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Aug 9, 09 8:02 PM
whats a RTR?

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Aug 9, 09 8:23 PM
Pinky559 wrote:whats a RTR?

Return to Ravenhurst

lauriedoss
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by lauriedoss on Aug 9, 09 11:34 PM
Thanks all for the reviews! My new computer won't open to full screen and run this game. Since no one has anything good to say about it I won't need to bother customer service about the problem.

jrd0427
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jrd0427 on Aug 10, 09 3:41 PM
Poodlebear, Thank you for your review. I tend to feel the same way you do about these things, and I wouldn't want to use a credit on something that is only going to make me crazy.....Thanks again!

SairBelle
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by SairBelle on Aug 10, 09 6:45 PM
I loved this game. Made it all the way through without a walkthrough and only the occasional hints from Kelly. My kids were creeped out at the game, but not overly scared. My only complaint was that it was too short. I would of appreciated a longer game. The music and spooky atmosphere were great.

Go to: