Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re: The Blackwell Convergence comments and reviews

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Aug 15, 09 7:19 PM
Well, I am so pleased with this 3rd instalment. Now that I finally worked out how to finish Unbound, I have played through my trial of Convergence and bought it right after! Have just got rid of 1 ghost, working on the next case. Was shocked to see a few characters return from Unbound!
Dave, you've done it again, this is another game you can be proud of as your fans are bound to love it.
Absolutely no resolution problems for me, all the text was crisp as anything and I haven't changed any settings. I also have a flat screen monitor.
I strongly suggest new players start with Legacy, the Unbound, then this as there is background you need to know (like that ghosts can't see where they are and they are dead, and also explains how they get to the other side) and there are characters you meet in the other games (as mentioned above).
A strong 5 out of 5 from me!

[Post New]by nemosmissus on Aug 15, 09 9:08 PM
Unfortunately I bought this game before trialling it - I wish I could get my money back.
The graphics are substandard and the dialogue long winded.
It has few clues.
I became very impatient with it.
Sorry - won't make that mistake again.
Not up to your usual standard Big Fish!

Edited on 08/15/2009 at 9:08:34 PM PST

NYDanielle
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by NYDanielle on Aug 16, 09 7:15 AM
I don't remember the graphics of the first two Blackwell games being so bad, but I still purchased Convergence, and I still love it.

In many games, I find the dialogue just plain tedious; but with these characters, I find it hysterical. They can come out with a Blackwell238, and I'll probably still be buying! ~LOL~

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Aug 16, 09 7:36 PM
Loved the game and love all the blackwell games. I understand how the pixel situation would bother many but for me that was offset by the topic. If I play one more egyptian, incian or ancient explorer game, I will go nuts. Not that I don't like them, Just soooo tired of them. I find the Blackwell games fun and refreshing and I for one cannot wait for the next installment!!!

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Aug 24, 09 3:16 PM
Just finished the game and really enjoyed it! Such a change from the usual hogs and match 3s. Thanks, Dave! When is the next one?

Akherousia
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Akherousia on Aug 25, 09 3:34 PM
this game is absolutely awesome, i already wrote a review on it so i will just say that this game is really really atmospheric so all of you who are in dark ghost stories (and dark humour) - this is your game

gellyitaly
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by gellyitaly on Aug 28, 09 8:39 AM
i loved this game despite the poor graphics(would have loved better graphics or to window it) but it's also got a nostalgic quality to it. it was fun to play and the music was great, dialogue as usual was funny so I was happy to spend my coupon on it!

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Sep 5, 09 5:30 AM
I would have loved to play but could not get the graphics set to where I could even identify an object. It was so pixelated, it was like looking at a small area of a digital photo enhanced to 400x on Photoshop or something. Everything is in squares, disjointed, and I just cannot tell one item from another. This is the only game I've ever seen from BFG that had this issue. The game was simply not playable for me. I tried everything to improve the graphics but could not improve them enough to see a difference. As I said on a previous post, even the BFG intro was completely pixelated. Very strange. I have a 22" flat panel monitor and a very current high-end gaming graphics card on a rig built to game and cannot fix the situation. Sadly, I will not be purchasing this game because of this issue.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 8, 10 6:24 AM
I loved this story/game and it was great seeing the voice actors at the end. Wonderful characters.

I will keep buying and enjoying this Blackwell series just as long as they keep making them with great story writing that also happens to be point and click adventure games.

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 6:56:41 AM PST

Joymul
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Joymul on Sep 3, 10 2:59 AM
I see what you all mean about pixelation. But you don't need to download to see this problem. Just click on the teasers and they show the problem immediately. Thank you, posters. Your comments have decided me not to purchase even at the DD rate.

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Sep 3, 10 3:43 AM
I loved this game despite the...nostalgic graphics. Same great main characters and snarky humor as the rest of the series,fine gameplay, if you like offbeat adventure games this is a great deal!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 3, 10 5:27 AM
Four minutes in and I couldn't take the pixelation problem any longer. It was like looking at a 1980s pacman game.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Sep 3, 10 5:47 AM
The best dialogue ever! I did not mind the pixilated graphics, gave me a warm a fuzzy feeling remembering my early games. So glad to see this as a DD as I wanted to, but did not buy it. You will LOVE the characters.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 3, 10 9:10 AM
This game is so bad that calling it a dog is an insult. In the first room, if you do the items in the wrong order, you have to start over with a new game. That was enough to annoy me. However, the annoyance didn't end. The graphics were more like 30 years old. While the main characters were interesting in the beginning, their appeal wained as the game continued. The puzzles aren't challenging, more like impossible. I had such hope for this game and sadly it was lacking in every category.

I would say an F. Independent game maker or not, the game needs to be more fun and less frustration.

lstacyww
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by lstacyww on Sep 3, 10 10:16 AM
AWFUL I don't usually buy a game before trying it but wish I had, please can I have a refund and I will gladly throw this in the trash.

IrishRush
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by IrishRush on Sep 3, 10 11:59 AM
I downloaded the demo and started it but clicked exit as soon as it finished opening and deleted it. The graphics are the worst I've ever seen. This is definitely a no buy, even at the Daily special rate.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Sep 3, 10 3:35 PM
Definitely a no buy for me because of truly horrible graphics. Very blurry. With so many good new games, even as a DD this is a total dud.

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Sep 3, 10 6:05 PM
No offense, but I'm getting quite a chuckle out of all the fishies who are unhappy about the pixelated graphics. I'll bet a dollar to the hole in a donut that none of you are old enough to have bought games on 5 1/4" floppies.
I am.
So, yes, I find it nostalgic.
I like pretty graphics, but I'm really much more interested in the game and how well it plays than in how slick the graphics are. The premise is unusual; it's a real "hunt and find" game without the elaborate hints and sparkles and things that sometimes make a game almost too easy. A challenge! How nice.
It reminds me of the last couple versions of Zork where they added some graphics. I liked the first 3 better.
And I'll bet most of you unhappy fishies never played Zork, Uunkulian, Hitchhiker's Guide, or any of the others. How sad for you.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Sep 3, 10 10:22 PM
I loved this game. The graphics are pretty cool and a bit old school - I like that by the way. The story is really interesting. I like the idea of how we are all connected somehow. The gameplay is easy. The diffculty level was medium for me. I had to look at the walkthrough 3 times. I hope the next one is coming out soon. It's a great game!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 4, 10 1:52 AM
I never trial games, but for this one I made an exception. Just so I could see for myself.The graphics were NOT horrid and I could totally make out objects. So glad I did or I would have missed out on what looks to be an awesome series! Not only will I buy this one, I will get the other 2 on sale. Back to the graphics, perhaps some people with 20+ inch screens or widescreens may have a problem but my dell 17inch that was built for gaming with the latest Ge-Force video card ran this just fine and what I suspected was true. They are NOT bad graphics, they are older type graphics. For anyone that can remember early NES games this reminded me of them! Manic Mansion was one of my fav games of all time and it had this level of graphics. So for anyone curious, try this game for yourself and decide.

So many fishies including myself dislike cheesy voice acting. This game has EXCELLENT voice acting! Its warm, funny and comfortable.. fitting in and flowing perfectly in unison with this game. BRAVO!! Back then the graphics were not a selling point the story had to be and this one is really good.

Here are a few screen-caps I did, they are a little smaller but exactly as I saw the game on my 17inch flat-screen laptop..reading was not a problem and I could easily see everything and what objects were.

http://img237.imageshack.us/i/theblackwellcscap1.jpg/
http://img22.imageshack.us/i/theblackwellcscap2.jpg/

What I am also guessing is many of the negative reviews are from people that dislike heavy dialog-reading-stories in games.. I've always been a bookworm, so for me this series looks like heaven!! If you dislike reading and dialog, you probably won't like this game. Its a shame, I'm only 32 but I see so many peeps my age and under that miss out on the joys of reading.

Even with graphics I give this adventure game 4 and

Go to: