bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

Re:Mystery Age: The Imperial Staff comments and reviews

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Aug 20, 09 7:55 AM
Just bought this game and love it. These are the kind of HOGsI like the best.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Aug 20, 09 7:58 AM
Great game more of them please BF a little bit of everything and yes as mentioned I played with a smile on my face, but did wonder where they got the record even though it was an oldie. but Yes loved the game well worth it. as good as ME. also not unlike two of my favourites Mushroom Age and Azeda Magic.

The only one I had to pass on was the frogs, the little toads.
Cheers
lineck

Edited on 08/20/2009 at 7:59:56 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 20, 09 8:27 AM
LogieBaby wrote:looks to be a keeper just remember that this type of game will always have you searching for the same things and completing the same tasks over and over again.
I might buy it but to me it's a game to finish one time and then put it away for a few weeks so I can forget where things are ( a benefit of getting older.........)

Does this mean it has no replay value? I loved it but am not sure whether to buy or not. And Logiebaby, you are so right: a total lack of short-term memory does enhance enjoyment of games. What kills me is often I actually DO remember where items are. So how come I can't remember why I've opened the fridge door?

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Aug 20, 09 8:34 AM
me too, love this game, great graphics ...after 5mn I knew I had to buy it

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Aug 20, 09 8:47 AM
Oh my goodness,I just have to give my for this game.The color is so great,and I love to have to put items together.I dont know if the rest of you hard core hog people are like me,but I have played them so long that it gets real tiresome getting games that are so dark and depressing and to top it off they are just hunt and find objects over and over.That was ok when they first started,but like everything else with time things should get better and better.This is just an example.So makers of this kind take heed follow this example.Bet this sales like crazy.I know I played 5 minutes and bought it.So thanks you makers of this

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Aug 20, 09 9:36 AM
Add me to the list. Really enjoyed playing this game.

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Aug 20, 09 10:09 AM
I'm going to buy it. It's a very, very good game. I love the cute little extras, like animals that sit up when you click on them. I sometimes rush the demos, but I found myself slowing down to enjoy this (even before I had decided to buy). Similar, but not quite the value (less challenging) of Return to Ravenhearst and the Mortimer Beckett series, but a clever game with good graphics and story. As long as it turns out to be of decent length, I'll consider it a game credit very well spent.

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Aug 20, 09 10:22 AM
I like the game. But according to the walk through, I'm over half done in the demo hour. I like that it's not all dark or blurry like many games. So, I might buy it for that reason.

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Aug 20, 09 10:29 AM
Thanks all for the review, gonna give it a go later. Which for some reason I had thought to skip after reading the daily splash, I don't know why.
Special thanks to lineck who understands not to give game solutions here. I appreciate it.

leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

[Post New]by leacraw on Aug 20, 09 10:50 AM
crazycatjag wrote:I'm going to try Mystery Age. But I can't seem to get the walkthrough to download. Is there a problem with it? Hope it can be fixed. Thanks.

The walkthrough is now running

Doesn't let you know when you are through with an area, unless I'm missing something, lots of dialogue to skip if you don't care for it

Game play, graphics, objects findable (is that a word) some easier than others, hint recharge, mini games can be skipped, no timer

My kind of IHOG (poodlebear did you coin this acronym? love your reviews)

Overall - I will be buying this game waaay more than negatives

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 20, 09 10:55 AM
Finally a HOG game everybody seems to agree it's a good one! I will be buying this one. Thanks, fishies, for the good reviews.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Aug 20, 09 11:19 AM
i really like this game, good graphic, good sound and good story. i try it for 45 minutes but I've beat half game. don't know if I'm gonna buy it, i think it may be too short. Nice game anyway.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 20, 09 11:24 AM
I just got the game downloaded and came to read this thread, and after doing so, I can't wait to get into it....but...I have to start my working-from-home job right now. It certainly sounds promising, and I'll start trying it out just as SOON as I get off work!

Thanks for the reviews and opinions everyone!

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 20, 09 11:25 AM
Nice game, but way to short for me. If it was longer, I would buy it for sure. I will be passing on this one.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Aug 20, 09 11:37 AM
I enjoyed the demo for this IHOG ... so it's a keeper for me.

Nice clean, crisp graphics. Very colorful. Has a fairy tale look about it.

Music was starting to get a little annoying so turned it down to play softly.

Has some cleverly hidden objects; but none seem to be impossible to find.

Like the "cute" actions -- click on frog and it jumps in the lake, or click on the bunny and it sits up.

Found myself playing slower so I could really look at each screen.

So far the mini games were somewhat easy ... but enjoyable.

labrat33
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by labrat33 on Aug 20, 09 11:40 AM
The link to the walkthrough is only to the blog "front" page. Click on the line on the right that says Archives for August 2009 or something like that, and the top item will be the walkthrough. Click on the link at the bottom for more, and you will get to the entire walkthrough. I like to bookmark these in my browser and then they are readily available when I need them. I too really like this game!

mummypops
Koi
Koi
80,817 Posts

[Post New]by mummypops on Aug 20, 09 11:49 AM

Brilliant game, I love these types, not too hard, not to easy (well for me anyway), definately a buy for me,

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Aug 20, 09 12:30 PM
Love it Love it Love it! graphics are wonderful and go detailed. Game is fun!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 20, 09 12:33 PM
Same for me -- love the graphics, the level of difficulty, and the type of HOG it is (no junk piles, need to find, assemble and use story-related objects).

One negative point for me: The hints are terribly linear (meaning they are arranged in a particular order, and you cannot ask about an item or object). Sometimes the hint given is totally unhelpful, such as telling you to play a mini-game to which you don't have access yet. Still, I've overcome those obstacles by carefully searching all the open scenes for something I've missed (which may be the entrance to a new scene).

The game may be relatively short and have limited replay value unless you are able to forget all the solves last time around, but it is thoroughly pleasant while it lasts.

Thanks BFG!

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Aug 20, 09 1:11 PM
Excellent graphics and sound. Interesting story line. Not too easy and not too difficult. Was sad to see it end. Hope these developers are already working on another one!

And thank you all for the reviews that you give. I find them helpful.

Edited on 08/20/2009 at 1:11:29 PM PST

Go to: