Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

Re:Hide & Secret 3: Pharaoh's Quest comments and reviews

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Aug 31, 09 10:53 AM
Liking the game a lot but when my time ran out it didn't save everything and I took a BIG step backward.

Good graphics, good mini games so far.... I think this will take a while to finish!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 31, 09 12:49 PM
I couldn't get into this game. To me, it seemed rather confusing as to where to go next. And when you clicked on a section highlighted with sparkles, you were taken to a mini-puzzle. Usually an area that sparkles means there is some action to perform. The game is colorful but I found it boring and confusing, overall. It isn't one I would buy.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 31, 09 2:34 PM
Where's Poodlebear? I'd like to read her opinions on this game, too.

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 3:36:31 PM PST

pupulegirl
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by pupulegirl on Aug 31, 09 2:38 PM
Alas! Another morning of not getting anything done around the house. I have finished the game and enjoyed it. Didn't mind having to figure out where to go and what to do. That made for an interesting game. The mini games could have all been a bit different. Now I'm gonna have to go back thru my stash of games for the other ones and see which one I liked the best.

I give it....

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Aug 31, 09 2:44 PM
I'm with you Howatch, POODLEBEAR WHERE ARE YOU. WE NEED YOU. I am tempted to buy this game. I have 7 min left and only two passports. I too get lost so if I to buy this, I will certainly have a pen and paper handy. Waiting on Poodlebear first.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 31, 09 2:50 PM
I enjoyed every minute of this game. Managed it without a walkthrough, which for me is a triumph:-)) The only downside of this game is that it's over....! Hope there are more similar games to come.
I find most adventure games too complicated (although loved Syberia), so enjoyed the combo of adventure and HOG in this game.
More please BF!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 3:43 PM
Howatch wrote:Where's Poodlebear? I'd like to read her opinions on this game, too.

I like to read everyones reviews but would love to hear yours Howatch as we often have similar tastes in games. Especially what you thought of the hidden object parts of this game and if you thought they were of a good standard?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 31, 09 4:11 PM
I thought your review was a great summary, govegril. I agree with you about the junk-pile aspect of the hidden objects; they could have done a lot more with this and made the hidden objects logical in terms of setting rather than, "Let's just spew out a bunch of random objects and put them anywhere!" That would have been the kiss of death for me with this game if they had also been unrecognizable or too small, but since I'm able to find most of the stuff, it doesn't bother me quite as much. It's not being able to distinguish/recognize objects for what they are that really bothers me. What makes this a game worth purchasing for me, though, is the combination of the bright, colorful graphics, the voices, and the inventory aspects of the game. I rather like the to'ing and fro'ing because it's still much easier than the to'ing and fro'ing in most full-length adventure games. So, even with the junk-pile aspect of the objects, there's enough other stuff to keep me interested enough to feel that this is a worthwhile purchase.

I actually have the first game in this series that I bought on eBay a couple of years ago and have never even installed it. If and when I do, I will let you know what it's like. I'm assuming it was pretty much a straight HOG, but I don't know this for sure.

Oh, and I'm *lousy* at the columns/row puzzles so far and have been using the skip button---but I really don't want to be doing that.

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 4:12:27 PM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Aug 31, 09 4:11 PM
I did the beta of this and it's better now than it was.

Still, lots of the things being mentioned here are things I mentioned in my feedback of the beta. I guess they either couldn't, or didn't want to change them.

I will say this. It was a whole lot easier having done it once. I breezed through this time and before the demo hour ran out I had all 5 passports and had finished whole chunks of the game. I'm guessing that if I had another hour,, or even less, that I'd be done the whole game.

I think there is probably limited replay value on this game unless you went a really long time between plays.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 31, 09 4:49 PM
Howatch wrote:I thought your review was a great summary, govegril. I agree with you about the junk-pile aspect of the hidden objects; they could have done a lot more with this and made the hidden objects logical in terms of setting rather than, "Let's just spew out a bunch of random objects and put them anywhere!" That would have been the kiss of death for me with this game if they had also been unrecognizable or too small, but since I'm able to find most of the stuff, it doesn't bother me quite as much. It's not being able to distinguish/recognize objects for what they are that really bothers me. What makes this a game worth purchasing for me, though, is the combination of the bright, colorful graphics, the voices, and the inventory aspects of the game. I rather like the to'ing and fro'ing because it's still much easier than the to'ing and fro'ing in most full-length adventure games. So, even with the junk-pile aspect of the objects, there's enough other stuff to keep me interested enough to feel that this is a worthwhile purchase.

I actually have the first game in this series that I bought on eBay a couple of years ago and have never even installed it. If and when I do, I will let you know what it's like. I'm assuming it was pretty much a straight HOG, but I don't know this for sure.

Oh, and I'm *lousy* at the columns/row puzzles so far and have been using the skip button---but I really don't want to be doing that.

Thanks- great to hear your opinion and the reason I bought the game is that I like the to'ing and fro'ing and what I call "quests".
The puzzles and hidden objects just could have been so much better and is always disappointing when what could be a great game is reduced to ordinary for me.

With the column/srows- I have not had a problem so far. My method is to line up the pictures horizontally first where I can and then use the vertical where needed and then again to centre the picture. Maybe hard to explain but after a few of them hopefully you get the hang.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the game

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 31, 09 5:09 PM
govegril wrote:With the column/srows- I have not had a problem so far. My method is to line up the pictures horizontally first where I can and then use the vertical where needed and then again to centre the picture. Maybe hard to explain but after a few of them hopefully you get the hang.

Gotcha! I think I can do that!

[Post New]by damsel71451 on Aug 31, 09 5:13 PM
Just finished the game. It was so good, I had to finiah it asap. Great job; not only is it my fav - hidden object, you are required to remember where to place objects found, ENCORE! ENCORE!

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Aug 31, 09 7:23 PM
I own the first two and was excited to see a new one, but I'm going to have to think long and hard about buying this one. When I heard interactive I was thinking like Enlightenus, the new Nancy Drew Game, etc...thinking there would be some improvement in the game. The graphics haven't even improved from the first two. Just seems like something they kind of threw together, added interactive to it, just to add to the series to me. Maybe I didn't play far enough into the game. I'll probably end up getting it, but it won't be right away, since I do have the first two. I am just a little dissapointed in it.

culady
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by culady on Aug 31, 09 7:34 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The to-ing & fro-ing. The lines & columns. Even the junk piles of items. I really don't care if they don't match the theme of the game as long as I can find them. It took a while to realize that the flashing white dot on the other countries meant that a pyramid was still there to be found - so I went back & found them all. I am now going to see if I have the other two games. The characters look familiar - but I suppose that could just be the same artist.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Aug 31, 09 7:45 PM
Have just finished this game and although I agree with everyone as to the **** aspects of it, I enjoyed the "questing" and the to'ing & fro'ing. I also love jigsaws and column puzzles so that was enjoyable for me as well. I turned down the voices and the music. Don't know about its replay value though. For me it was worth buying.

[Post New]by IHOPKCMan41 on Aug 31, 09 9:10 PM
Hey, I really enjoyed this game, cool characters; toing and froing adventure that made you think; beautifully drawn river scenes ; interesting enough hidden objects; jigsaw puzzles were pretty good; horizontal/vertical picture puzzles were cool; decent music and I liked the gal's voice. It took me an afternoon and evening off and on to finish, so good length . I had to be patient and triple check everything several times or I would have needed a walkthough. Its not hard to triple check though - just go to all the locations, and try different objects sometimes. The only thing that gets me with these Egypt games is the occultish nature of the Book of the Dead, the ankh, the Sun God and other magical stuff. The developer Anarchy games seems to have kind of an occult logo as well. But, I got through the Egyptology, and I must say Anarchy games did a great job!

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 9:12:59 PM PST

kassy481
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by kassy481 on Aug 31, 09 9:45 PM
I love the overall concept of this game but I really dislike the hidden object scenes. I mean, come on developers, a GIANT safety pin in the sky but a teeny tiny office chair on a column . I guess that is what makes it a hidden object game but my eyes crossed every time I entered a scene. I kept focusing on the things that were so out of place LOL.
Any who, this could have been a FANTASTIC game. I just have a problem with wanting things to be logical in certain games

I would like to add; thank you for not making the people & their backpacks jump out every time you find an item
Happy Gaming All, Kas

edited to add: a variety of puzzles other than " 3 ways to do a jigsaw" would have been nice. ( maybe 4, I started skipping them )

Edited on 08/31/2009 at 10:16:19 PM PST

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Sep 1, 09 1:12 AM
I love the overall concept of this game but I really dislike the hidden object scenes. I mean, come on developers, a GIANT safety pin in the sky but a teeny tiny office chair on a column .

I totally agree. I won't be buying this game simply because of that. I thought the graphics on the first one (which I did buy at the time) just seemed to "comic-like," and I don't care for that at all.

It is better without those two running in and out of the scene when objects are collected. As for "toing and froing," I didn't do any of that. I kept going "back and forth!" I'm not too fond of it in this particular game. It's just up or down, left or right. I think something with more angles and not so many repetitive back and forths I'd like better.

So it looks like there is more than just one reason I didn't buy this game.

Edited on 09/01/2009 at 1:13:16 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Sep 1, 09 4:17 AM
A bit late I admit to add my comments but thought I would anyway.

I have played all the Hide and Secret games and I must say the first improvement on this is far less dialog... The art work still assaults my eyes with it's need for extreme color saturation but that's just personal taste. This is a "junk pile" Hidden Object game in the truest sense. Objects are completely random (*what* is with the artificial leg? ) and strewn every which way, many color shifted to disguise, but still end up being pretty easy to find as they have nothing to do, really, with the background. A very few objects seem to have some thought as to how they are placed, but for the most part you are just sorting through a chaos of images to find things. I've always found this kind of cheaty, for lack of a better word.

All that rather negative stuff said this ended up being a pretty good game! Lots of back and forth between scenes, which I personally like, ok minis and interesting, if not terribly difficult, inventory challenges. I did have moments where I felt a bit stuck and had the "well what now?!" feeling, but a look around would find some bit I'd missed or new area that had unlocked. That' a plus too. I want to be challenged and have that feeling but don't want it to last too long and on that this delivers. Oooodles of findable hints (another thing I like) and no timer also a plus. Nice music too.

Having just played the perfectly crafted very excellent Sprill and Ritchie it's hard to give the nod to this one as there is an overall, well, junky feel to it imo BUT I did buy it, play it, and enjoy it. Can't give it full Approval because it's just too harsh on the eyes and because of the junk pile factor, but I will give it:

lwjarvis
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by lwjarvis on Sep 1, 09 5:54 AM
I just downloaded the game and when I got to the desert, I can't get past the jeep. I can't find what you do to get it out of the sand

Go to: