QotW 9/21 - Careers

Re:QotW 9/21 - Careers

[Post New]by Trucker1979 on Dec 16, 15 8:06 PM
As a High School Graduate, but failed at Community College attendance due to falling out of interest and not wanting to go into that debt for chance of attending a higher College or University to obtain a somewhat worthy degree of Associate or higher. Seeing after how a Degree is not necessary to obtain work in most places which prefer having the required previous experience in said job opening or adequate degree if not prior RL experience. Now reading about how little a Degree is worth these days and how many are worthless to even have, mainly Liberal Arts which is worth its weight in the cost of the paper it was printed on.

My first job was at 15 for my then at the time Step Dad who owned and ran a Basement Waterproofing business/company which i worked for seasonally and often during my High School years. Graduated in 1999 at 19, would of been 18 had I not been kept back for a second year in first grade by Parents and Teachers. Worked that until he could no longer manage the company let alone stay in business despite he was better and fully legit than the other company which did not offer the warranties we provided to all out customers for any future maintenance or damage issues they may have experienced.
Other jobs I have had were restaurant as a food prep, dishwasher, line cook. First was at BK for 6 months, then the rest of those were at higher wage Restaurants, if you ever been to Sturbridge, MA (my hometown of 23 years at most). Rom's Restaurant (Dishwasher until I graduated from HS) which closed in 2009 due to ownership fallout and lack of income due to the Debt Crisis at the time was my second. Sturbridge Isle and Country Kitchen off I-84 where I held a second ad longest of more than 1 year of work was the last restaurant I worked at.
I then went on to work a few (trial period) odd jobs such as Flooring and Pool Construction (above ground and some fiberglass in-ground units). Then I went on to work at a Full Service Auto, Gas, and Car wash called C&R Tire (formerly Brimstur Tire) on Route 20 in Sturbridge MA by the Brimfield Town line and just around half mile from were I lived for nearly a year. During my last few months I put myself through a Truck Driving school with what I earned plus some inheritance and was not some half minded Company Training School nor was it NETTTS (New England Tractor Trailer Training School in Pawtucket, RI) which is a crapy money mongering piss poor training school. I am a CDL A Holder since 14 October 2004. (Cont)

[Post New]by Trucker1979 on Dec 16, 15 8:31 PM
(Continued)
I went to a United Tractor Trailer, a Training School in Chicopee, MA where they teach Class A and B, I went to get my B but they sold me on the A as I was planing to work my way to it by starting B. Their cost is what sold me to go full tilt on my A as it was just $3,000 for training for it (2003 cost) despite it being double what B class costs. It was Two months of Hands on with Classroom before each new lesson as well as classes for Driver Log book and Guest Lecture's from Pros, The teachers were seasoned pros themselves, some were Retired just earning some play around money and to get out of the house, but they were all a good bunch of trainers. No I am not being paid to advertise them. But when it came to the Road Testing with the State Trooper, it took me three Sessions due to my first one I failed a few things despite I knew the officer a bit and he was having a good day that day, the other two attempts where short due to the trainer being late to arrive with the Truck and Trailer due to traffic issues, and the third also short due to a Class B Trainee who was testing with use of the Budweiser Truck he was operating for the distributor he was working for.
All said, I have driven for motor carriers of varying loads. First hauling job was for a food distribution warehouse through their contractor as a full time driver hauling frozen food and dry goods order loads to Stop and Shop, Shaws, and other smaller and mom and pop supermarkets. Second job was for a Ladder and Scaffolding manufacturer and distributor with HQ in Lynn, MA at their Chicopee location to routes in Western MA, CT, VT, and much of NY. Third job was when I moved to FL and lived there for 2 years driving class B for a household moving company Atlas Agent moving and sometimes delivering furniture for mom and pop stores or kitchen cabinets on contract for a local designer shop.
Between the second and third driving job I first worked for a plastic recycler, operating the various machines and making deliveries and pick ups as needed for the first 6 months. Then temporarily worked for a company next door assembling roof frames for homes, until I got the moving job.
Then life changed again and moved back to MA but not the same town my first job coming back was hauling car parts for BWP a Carquest distributor doing delivery runs as a temp, Then I got my last and most recent up until some time ago when I lost the job, as yet a temp driver for a temp driver job. (Continued)

[Post New]by Trucker1979 on Dec 16, 15 8:34 PM
(Continued) Sorry for the triple post. I am not known to be so chatty as I am introvert, but get me going and i can go on.
Currently I am and have been unemployed but looking into starting my own company if I can get the funds to legalize and start up the business, I would like to drive again as an Independent Operator and do uShip and Load board stuff on my own.

Go to: