emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

Re:Lost City of Z: Special Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 17, 09 10:27 AM
Just played the demo and felt ****-hum about the game. The actual story of Colonel Fawcett looking for a city of gold (Lost City of Z) in the Amazon is true and rather interesting. But this game didn't really convey the intrigue of the real story (Fawcett & his son disappeared in the early 1900's, as have most of the search parties afterwards).
-- the graphics are pretty good
-- hate the irritating "don't click randomly" message that many others have mentioned
-- did not like having to target the small "x" to close diaglog messages - it should let me click anywhere on the screen
-- I liked listening to the sounds of the jungle
-- won't be buying this one

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Sep 17, 09 10:56 AM
35 minutes into the demo, and I bought this game. Graphics are excellent, very clear. Easy to find objects, used hint only once thus far with no problem. I will give more info after completing the game.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Sep 17, 09 11:51 AM
I am hungry for something to play, but I am still waiting to hear an accurate assessment of how long the game is. I want to buy it if it is long enough and I agree that if any of the money does go to National Geographic, it is money well spent. I think the graphics are wonderful and I have a large screen. I can't complain other than to say that the hint system is inadequate when all one is told is that the object is somewhere within the circle. If the object was easy to find, I have already found it. If it is difficult to find, I need help and the large circle is not enough help IMHO.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 17, 09 1:02 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves in hidden object games is when you have found the correct object and click on it and the item does not respond. In addition we get the annoying warning message for multiple clicks when we are clicking on the correct object. I like games to be fun and challenging but I don’t want them to punish me or slap my hand for a fault in their program.

Edited on 09/19/2009 at 8:59:32 AM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 17, 09 2:32 PM
Overall, I think the game is a good one but like most of you, the "grabbing" message is irritating. I had no real trouble with the trial I played as there are plenty of hints and if you click on an item, a picture is shown. Most of the objects are pretty easy to find. I like the game but it isn't as good as the Samantha Smith games or Adventure Chronicals. I doubt that I would buy it unless I was desperate for something new and nothing better was available.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Sep 17, 09 2:35 PM
Not for me. I played for about 20 minutes.

Pros
I had no issues with the hints system and only got the 'random clicking' message once - and I was random clicking.
Items were fairly easy to find and I liked the sparkly area to click on for closeups.

Cons
I didn't like the narrative at all.
I did not like the photography part either - but maybe that's because I'm playing Paradise Quest (not a BF game ) which has a great photo mechanism.

I may just be getting very picky on HOGs. I want lots of interaction and a great story and this had neither. But I'm sure lots of folks are very happy

sandymac
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by sandymac on Sep 17, 09 3:39 PM
MissMoraduke wrote:At the beginning where the Scarlet Macaws are. it wont let me click on them and pick them up, even tried the hint, anyone have that problem?

Yes, had the same problem. After a mere 3 minutes of play, this game was trashcanned.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 17, 09 3:48 PM
I agree 100% with LizzieK's pet peeve. After reading these comments I won't even demo this game, nor any that an innocent challenge or risk feels punitive. With a small 15in screen or a laptop tiny objects are out of bounds for me too. Even "beautiful graphics" is not enough to sway me when I just want some relaxing fun, "play" in the true sense of the word like one can do with SteveSheriff2.

Picture taking is fun for awhile, but as an avid Paradise Quest fan too (the best M3 game EVER IMO) after so many levels I skip that feature to just get on with the game, felt intrusive to the flow. I waited months for BF to get PQ and desparate, bought it elsewhere. Great game I recommend for nature lovers too so I pass on this Lost CityZ regardless of storyline which I usually skip too.

I didn't give up tho on Sleepy Hollow which I'm almost finished, some very small or unrecognizable objects being antiques, but easy hints feature, and altho red screen for too many random clicks, it is quickly forgiving, player friendly. I can appreciate objects being of the era, charming, even if hard to find. i.e.no cell phones or CDs, you learn new things like what a necktie looked like in 1700s for the price of a pumpkin hint.

No demo even needed for a big here.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Sep 17, 09 7:39 PM
This game had great potential...I was really expecting it to be fun...instead it was frustrating, and had FAR too many pop ups...I don't want to close the journal every single time...and I dislike having to click on an X to close an obnoxious pop up, just clicking should be enough to close it. I didn't get the point of photographing the animals...was there a purpose?

The hints were frustrating...I would need three hints sometimes to find things, and each hint was in a slightly different place! Also, trying to cut thru the vines was REALLY irritating...every time I clicked with the knife I got the "grabbing random objects wont help me" pop up. The game was actually getting a little boring (when i wasn't frustrated) so I quit after about 38 minutes. On a scale of 1-10 I would give this game a 4.

[Post New]by cityno23 on Sep 17, 09 10:03 PM
looks like a good game spent ages clicking on the nest but the game just froze in the first few mins couldnt even get the menu to go to close down so had to let it run for the 1hr what a waste of an hour but the graphics look good

kissthis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by kissthis on Sep 18, 09 12:14 AM
I expected this game to be more seeing as it is National Geographic. Some search areas are way to dark, the radar is useless as far as I could tell, and the message for wrong clicks was very annoying. I played the whole demo however and the mini games so far are very easy. Maybe in a dry spell I would but it or if it goes on sale, but for now it is a no.

[Post New]by patriciablake on Sep 18, 09 6:46 AM
Five minutes into the game and I clicked on items and nothing happened. Kept finding a magnifying glass and nothing happened. Very frustrating.

keltica
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by keltica on Sep 18, 09 7:08 AM
The Stones, where you have to find 10 stones, i'm down to the last two and i click on the hint it shows me where it is, but when i click on it it doesnt do nothing i just get the random click message ... grrrrrrrrrrr the stone is only parcialy in shot, it's sooo frustrating, i wish the makers would test theyre games more before releasing them ... another Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......... Game was ok, up until this problem ... but i wont be buying it, and i wouldnt recommened it to anyone, waste of time even downloading it

lou

[Post New]by walkswithdogs on Sep 18, 09 7:13 AM
cesse47 wrote:The game had good potential. But, I won't be purchasing this one. I find the "don't grab random things" message highly annoying ... mainly because I'm clicking on the right thing and it just won't pickup. If it was infrequent, I could ignore it ... much, much too frequent.

[Post New]by walkswithdogs on Sep 18, 09 7:15 AM
Im in the cave trying to pick up keys. I can see the last two but cannot pick them up. I tried clicking slow, then fast (and get the random clicking warning), I've used hints but still cannot pick them up. I thought these games were tested before being marketed. Very disappointed.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 18, 09 9:06 AM
Stopped playing after about 10 minutes. I find this with the NG games. Why o why are they so boring???? Great graphics/sound effects, but I just can't be bothered. Found this game tedious in the extreme.

[Post New]by ellendoy on Sep 18, 09 9:24 AM
did anyone else have this problem...cannot pick up the parachutes and flashlight in the downed helicopter site. also, the flag is not where the hint indicates.

[Post New]by ellendoy on Sep 18, 09 9:25 AM
I do not recall ever playing a game where I suspect there are errors within

[Post New]by MerscomLLC on Sep 18, 09 9:36 AM
forensicMD wrote: if any of the money does go to National Geographic, it is money well spent.

Half of the revenue to the game goes to National Geographic.

syleki
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by syleki on Sep 18, 09 2:10 PM
I have the same problem as Ellendoy, Found parachute, white flag and flashlight and none would be picked up. I just bought this game and liked it at first, but am now sorry I bought it. Tech would propably tell us, it's our computers.

Go to: