KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

Re:Legends of the Wild West: Golden Hill comments and reviews

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Sep 29, 09 10:26 AM
This is a HOG with really nothing else to it. All it did was give me a headache. There's really no way you can lose as there are a trillion hints (well, maybe not that many).And the "You win...congrats" almost drove me crazy.

Bluester
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Bluester on Sep 29, 09 12:01 PM
I dumped this after 10 minutes. Hotel lobby, wanted me to find a brass goblet, I couldn't. Used a hint and I guess it was OFF SCREEN (NEVER had this problem before) because I still couldn't get it and couldn't move on.

I also find it very annoying when there are words are spelled wrong.. for pete's sake... hire an English spell checker if you are wanting to sell to English speaking people.

xine48
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by xine48 on Sep 29, 09 1:28 PM
please! I am tired of the spelling and bad grammar, how hard is it to spell lipstick and wallet. Bigfish evidently doesn't care. I played for 30 minutes and it drove me nuts.If you want an example of the dumbing down of America, this is it.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 29, 09 1:31 PM
I wish Big Fish would have people like us, who are not employed with them in any capacity, go to their Headquarters or wherever they make the games and test the games. People "off the street". We are the ones who will be buying the games. We'll find glitches and problems their experts./game designers don't find. because they probably overlook them. I have gone to Real Networks/Real Arcades headquarters and tested games for them. I tell them what's wrong with the game. Or how to make it a better game. I give them feedback which is what they want. I tested LooLoo's Travel Agency for them, suggested a couple of changes and when the game came out, they had made the changes. I have tested a couple of more games that aren't out yet. I saw where both games could be improved. Since the games aren't out yet, I can't disclose any information about them. .It is fun to do and I get paid for it. I am only there for one hour. I think they have a few other people do that. They asked me if I would come in and test for them again and I told them Yes!! lol

I don't understand why more of these gaming companies, such as Big Fish, don't do that. A lot of game problems would be avoided if they did have people come in and test games for them. They could get a lot of ideas too. I emailed Big Fish and asked them if they do that and they told me they don't. I think it would be worth their while and in the long run make more money, because almost all of the wrinkles would be ironed out. Look at all of the time and money they spent creating this game and it really isn't ready to be out yet. They definitely need to rework it. I won't be buying this game either until they fix the errors/glitches. It seems like the game is in the beta testing stages instead of a finished game.

Edited on 09/29/2009 at 1:34:16 PM PST

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 29, 09 4:22 PM
Don't tell me PoodleBear and SillyFeet have had another busy day? I await your reviews! lol

Miss Clairol

lauriedoss
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by lauriedoss on Sep 29, 09 6:12 PM
Woofie53 wrote:I wish Big Fish would have people like us, who are not employed with them in any capacity, go to their Headquarters or wherever they make the games and test the games. People "off the street". We are the ones who will be buying the games. We'll find glitches and problems their experts./game designers don't find. because they probably overlook them.

Woofie, they do have "us" come in to test them. I've been at the offices to play games with the developers. I think one of the problems is that BF doesn't have the legal right to "change" one of the copyrighted games from another developer unless it's a programming glitch. The games I see the misspellings and grammar problems with are from other developers, so I can't fault BF for that. They could be a little more discriminating on which developers they buy the rights from, but BF's policy to have a new game every day forces them to lower the standards a little. I don't complain as long as they keep coming out with their own games like MCF and Drawn.

Edited on 09/29/2009 at 6:14:13 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 29, 09 6:34 PM
Thank you for the explanation, Laurie; I have wondered about these things in the past. What you said makes a lot of sense.

[Post New]by auntharriet on Sep 29, 09 6:45 PM
I love BF. I love the reviews.But ,this game,not so much.
Kind of flat.Too much talking.Good color.Fuzzy graphics.
stright ****..I've been spoiled.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Sep 29, 09 6:46 PM
I just finished the trial version.

Not bad, graphics are pretty good and the items are a challenge to find in some cases. The mini puzzles are simple enough and at least it has a story line of sorts.

I will probably buy it, but it's not one of those that is so gripping that I buy it immediately after the trial.

Decent hidden objects game though.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 29, 09 7:19 PM
I also demo'd this at another site...I like HOGS, so good or bad, I will play them. This one is actually kinda fun, and some of the items are a real challenge to find. The fractured English is amusing to me...as an aside, I sure am glad I read the post on 'grits' for stained glass bits in another game, lol. Keep them hoggies rollin', rawhide!

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 29, 09 8:30 PM
This game has so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Fisrt off I couldn't play in full screen mode. I guess my screen is larger then most. I have never had this trouble with any other Big Fish game. Then items were so small, I just clicked on everything. When you finally did find an item you had to click it 3 or 4 times before it went into inventory. This could have really been a great game, but it lost me with the screen problems.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 29, 09 8:36 PM
Well, I played the trial and all I can say is, "Ehhh." Nothing to get excited about. Anyone who has vision problems, this game is NOT for you, unless you get out the magnifying glass. Some items are very well hidden and blend in with the background or are just so small that it is difficult to make out what it is.
I agree with the others on the spelling issue, I had one which was cockies. My original thought was maybe it was cockles then I finally figured out it was supposed to be Cookies. Now that is pretty bad when it comes to the spelling issue. I'm sure there were others but I guess I am becoming so accustomed to the developers not really caring about the translation or basic spelling errors that I have learned what they really want. (I really hope my spelling is correct in this message...lol )
I also was not a fan of the inventory bag and hourglass contantly blinking at you even if you didn't need to use your inventory in that particular scene. Okay, I know where it is if I need it, enough already.
This definitely isn't a game that I will run out to buy in any hurry. The free hour was enough for me.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 30, 09 1:50 AM
lauriedoss wrote:
Woofie53 wrote:I wish Big Fish would have people like us, who are not employed with them in any capacity, go to their Headquarters or wherever they make the games and test the games. People "off the street". We are the ones who will be buying the games. We'll find glitches and problems their experts./game designers don't find. because they probably overlook them.

Woofie, they do have "us" come in to test them. I've been at the offices to play games with the developers. I think one of the problems is that BF doesn't have the legal right to "change" one of the copyrighted games from another developer unless it's a programming glitch. The games I see the misspellings and grammar problems with are from other developers, so I can't fault BF for that. They could be a little more discriminating on which developers they buy the rights from, but BF's policy to have a new game every day forces them to lower the standards a little. I don't complain as long as they keep coming out with their own games like MCF and Drawn.

Thanks Laurie!! That makes a lot of sense. They games I tested for Real Networks are ones that they have developed themselves. I didn't even think about copyright laws. Real Networks headquarters are really nice. The people who work there are very nice too. I was impressed with them the first time I went there;

It seems as if a step or two in BFGs testing stages got skipped with this game. I would love to go in and test games for them.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 30, 09 12:10 PM
That is definitely not a good tm-game! I deleted it after 10 minutes, its so boring. I wait for a better Hog! I give it only 1 1/2 (from 5).

HYDEPARK4
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by HYDEPARK4 on Sep 30, 09 12:20 PM
Game seemed fine-BUT spelling errors really annoy me. Two that come to mind are -coockies and medicament(?). If these companies want to sent the games to me and I'll proofread them ahead of time.

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Sep 30, 09 2:10 PM
My review after the 1 hour demo:

Level: Easy to Medium. Most items were easy to find except for a few very small ones.

Playability: Good; no major problems to report. Tutorials are helpful without being annoying and can be skipped. Downloaded & installed well.

Likes: Nice graphics; can skip through the story and the mini-games if you wish. Toolbox extras are a nice touch, and they aren't too difficult to figure out.

Dislikes: Music gets old after a while. There is a nude portrait in the hotel. The lady ringmaster from the circus is freaky. "You win" pop-up sign after levels is annoying. Some people may like the animated portions of the screens, but I find them distracting, esp. when they move in front of an item you need.

Hints: quickly refillable meter

Clicking penalty: not really an issue, I did have a set of handcuffs pop up once which paused the game for a few seconds, but click as I might, I couldn't get it to repeat.

Recommendation: Okay for someone new to HOG or who really likes old west themes. Not much different here from other games. Most of the mini games are jigsaw puzzle types, which gets boring after a while. Because of the nude picture, not recommended for kids. (It's a search game - they're going to find it.)

Will I buy it? Probably not. Nothing says "wow" to me on this one.

slm1022
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by slm1022 on Sep 30, 09 5:12 PM
This game is awful. Programmers really need to work on this one.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Sep 30, 09 9:33 PM
Either I have lousy taste or y'all do LOL because it seems when I like a game, a lot of the time it's greeted with utter disdain, & when I don't care for one, everyone is in rhapsodies over it. I'm a sucker for anything with a remotely historical theme to it & c'mon peeps, nothing's nicer than a hot cowboy except maybe one that likely has a foreign accent (Luka's from Europe so I'm thinkin')....& he does quit the circus thing so it's all good.

This reminded me of some other HOG I can't recall where it went & basically began anew from someone else's POV like this one is doing when Natalie emigrates (anyone know which one?). That's OK, it's easier to find stuff in a room the 2nd time around

The dialogue did loop if you actually read it & got to the end of it & sat a sec expecting more & didn't tell it to go to the next scene; there's a tech glitch if I ever saw one & it was irksome because in a demo you want to go as fast as possible to get as far as possible to decide if it's worth it & not waste time w/ repetition.

I do agree that not just the spelling but the grammar are rather atrocious....but if you look at it from the POV that the tale is told by immigrants who probably don't have English as a 1st language....maybe it was intentional? The grammar, I mean. The spelling should be standard English if they want to sell to English-speaking markets. I suppose it'd be expensive to make different language versions? Even when things are spelt nicely, sometimes it's in UK English & not American English (which kinda makes sense for European developers, but still, they're peddling across the pond).

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Sep 30, 09 11:20 PM
PS> I nearly forgot.....did anyone else notice Grandpa Willy from Wild West Quest in Luka's San Fran street scene? LOL

pashdi
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by pashdi on Oct 2, 09 3:06 AM
I wish I'd read all the posts before purchasing this game. I played the trial without any problems, then after purchasing and starting to play, I'm in the carriage of the train, my inventory is empty and the scene is totally black, just train noises. Can't find anything and when I hit the hint, I have small circles of light, so I click on it and come up with handcuffs, my cursor disappears. Did the developers rush into this one?

Go to: