Re:PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by xenogamer55 on Oct 1, 09 10:08 AM
I was so excited when I first looked at this game this morning. But if it's as gruesome as I'm hearing I'm out as I get upset very easily. I passed on Vampire Saga and Edgar Allen Poe for the same reason.

Hey BF--you can make an "adult" game without turning peoples stomachs! Hear that developers!!

So I have been playing my old games over again, have been for the last 2 or 3 weeks , while looking every day for something worth my game credit. So far nothing. Getting discourged and very bored.

Kerry

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Oct 1, 09 10:29 AM
I played for about 5 minutes and quit out to buy it. I didn't check to see reviews first or how long or anything. It was just pleasure to play.

Good graphics, a variety of things for puzzles, can't just whip through because you have for find pieces to unlock puzzles etc. But you don't have to go round and round and get bored.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Oct 1, 09 10:37 AM
mahbah55....everything you said i totally agree with..at least i am not the only one!! x x

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 1, 09 10:43 AM
Hi Fishes,

I bought this game right out after reading the reviews & I am not sorry I did.

As already said, the graphics are awesome.

The hidden objects were fairly easy to find, although not always immediately obvious, a plus with my eyesight.

The mini games were also rather easy in the sense I didn't need to go looking for a walkthrough. Hey I got through this game all by my self

I would say it was an excellent starter game to the uninitiated, but a very pleasurable experience regardless.

The Harry Potter Hallows book was 10X more gruesome than this game, but the ambience was good.

Shame it wasn't longer, but still well worth the $7, Thankyou.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 1, 09 10:44 AM
Loved it and have bought it. For once not bothered about the replay value. Yes agree - definitely a touch of Syberia. Beautiful graphics and sound. So far interested in the story, though I'm not usually. Beautifully crafted game. Haven't got stuck - so a trifle easy. But agree with you all: it's definitely worth a credit.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Oct 1, 09 11:03 AM
Very nice, but short. I was kinda hoping you folks were just much quicker than me!

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Oct 1, 09 11:10 AM
Just finished demo and agree with everyone else. Very good graphics and **** are not hard to find. Interesting little story. Definitely on the easy side, so don't think I'll need walkthru on this one. Only complaint: custom cursor (ran really slow), but I love when they give you the option to use your own cursor. Will definitely buy with one of my credits.

espozito
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by espozito on Oct 1, 09 11:37 AM
Too easy, too short. According walk thru I got 2/3 of the game, so I don't want to pay money to play about half an hour. Though graphics is very good, won't buy this one

Edited on 10/01/2009 at 11:38:00 AM PST

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Oct 1, 09 11:55 AM
Beautifully rendered game, both graphics and music.
Makes your brain work, especially if you don't use the hints.
Would I buy? Yes. Did I buy? Yes again, a short time into the trial.

The only con I can think of is that the game is relatively short.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 1, 09 12:09 PM
Wonderful graphics. Yes, easy and short but I'm buying anyway. I'm not going to complain about short games that are beautifully done when I'm only paying $6.99. I'm wondering if their strategy is to make shorter games and come out with more games/sequels to recoup cost.

jadanosh
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville ™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by jadanosh on Oct 1, 09 12:54 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

jadanosh
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by jadanosh on Oct 1, 09 12:57 PM
I played the game, and decided to purchase it because it was so beautiful, and it reminded me of Ravenhearst. However, an hour later, and the game was finished. I must say that I was disappointed. I think that the game should have had more rooms, or maybe to be able to revisit areas, like in Ravenhearst.
The graphics are great, and I didn't experience any glitches while playing. I liked the music. I didn't think that it was too scary...just creepy enough to be fun. If only the game had taken longer, it would have been completely satifying.

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Oct 1, 09 1:19 PM
I love this game so beautiful I took my time in each area because the graphics and music are such a pleasure on the eye and ear. This is so much like Ravenhurst, is it the same studio? This is just gorgeous and I loved the mini games I have just finished the demo now I am going to buy it. This is really beautiful, have I said that one oh well it is, big thumbs up from me

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on Oct 1, 09 1:27 PM
Poodlebear wrote:Art is SO important to me that I'd probably be buying this one if it was a stinker gameplay-wise because the artwork is sooooo exceptional. But 15 minutes in the story has me intrigued, the gameplay is good (if not terribly challenging or unique so far, but like I said, 15 minutes) the game seems solidly built and the music and sound are great. I *wanted* to buy after about 5 minutes, but held off a whole 15...

15 minutes in rating a resounding with the right to change my mind later, BUT artwork alone is worth my $7.

I love when you heartily give a game the I am sure I will be purchasing this game also. Poodle endorsed games are a priority in my book. I always test the games by doing the demo but it is great to see an early
Excitement abounds!

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Oct 1, 09 1:43 PM
88blyth wrote:mahbah55....everything you said i totally agree with..at least i am not the only one!! x x

Glad to know I'm not the only one either

mzaura
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by mzaura on Oct 1, 09 2:32 PM
Well..I bought it after the trial..true,,,it was a short game, however...cheaper than a movie and lasted longer. I am disappointed but not enough to begrudge the money. It was fun and just the right amount. I think the helps made it go faster, though. But..all in all...a keeper.

Lassie1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Lassie1952 on Oct 1, 09 3:43 PM
I love it, one the best lately. Too bad it sounds like it is too short, but thanks for this one!!!Nicely done!!!

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Oct 1, 09 4:40 PM
As already stated by everyone, the graphics are phenomenal -- outstanding. I have only played about 10 minutes but have never seen anything quite so beautiful in a game and yes I have all the Ravenhursts. The music too is perfect -- very moody and atmospheric. One for which I will definitely keep the sound turned on. I didn't find it extremely easy to find objects but I am not an all out iHOG fan -- prefer BuildALot type games so if you are like me you may need to use a hint or two.

Am intrigued by the warning of disturbing images and may purchase just to see what lurks in the shadows... Will make sure I leave the lights on in the house when I do

Many have stated how short the game is but even though I'm not a game developer or programmer I know that a lot of work went into this game and so I am not surprised. Kind of like the early animated movies -- beautifully done but short because they were so time intensive -- labors of love. I'm betting there's a sequel and it will be longer -- maybe this one is just to, "test the waters." So, if you like it you should buy it if you can afford to do so. I'm going to~ciao

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 1, 09 4:55 PM
Played it & bought it !

I know that is not much of a review so,

Graphics great
music good
for me some of the items are a bit small, but I look for them
because I am not picking through garbage.
so far nothing you could call gory (by any standards).
Walkthrough not needed up till now
I think I will enjoy this one from start to finish

olive10tails
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Great game!

[Post New]by olive10tails on Oct 1, 09 4:56 PM
I bought the game first thing this morning and just finished it. Yeah, I'm having a lazy day, today! Anyways, I loved it! I found no problems with the warning and I loved the graphics--tremendous! I enjoyed looking at everything, in fact I may give it a second try right now! I am bummed a bit by the length. It could have been a little longer, but then again, I played all afternoon. It has been a long time since I have done that with a game. The music was wonderful and I really cant wait for the sequel. It should be another good one!

Go to: