CinW
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Re:New version of Steve the Sheriff for the Mac available now

[Post New]by CinW on Oct 6, 09 11:38 AM
I'm yet another mac user who can't save the game. I hope we'll be getting an update soon -- either a fix for the game, or credit the accounts for those of us who paid for this.

nyuk
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by nyuk on Oct 6, 09 9:05 PM
Yes, my game doesn't save either - It's SOOOO frustrating.

stargirld
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by stargirld on Oct 7, 09 4:15 AM
I complained to Customer Service and they credited me back the $6.99. (Not a refund, just a credit...but that's fine with me.) So some of you may want to give that a try.

Felinda
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by Felinda on Oct 7, 09 9:00 AM
At this point, it is a matter of ethics. BigFish is aware there is a serious problem with Steve the Sheriff for the Mac. They aren't pulling the game however. Why?

Right now they are taking money under false pretenses. Giving a credit for some other game that you weren't going to buy in the first place is not the answer. Fixing a known serious problem is the answer, and until then, Big Fish should be pulling the game until it is fixed, or they should warn users that there is a serious problem, so DON'T buy the game until or unless it is fixed. My experience with BigFish is that it isn't going to be fixed.

When will BigFish stop screwing its Mac customers?

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Oct 7, 09 2:20 PM
How frustrating, I played and got to the museum, I forgot and quit out so now I have to start all over. Hope they fix this soon. You would think they would give us an update as to when it will be fixed.

[Post New]by Zach1870 on Oct 7, 09 4:18 PM
I got a credit also without hassle...

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Oct 7, 09 4:20 PM
I emailed tech support, they said it looks like the game isn't compatible to my system. Said if a new version of the game is released, it will be posted on this forum. Does that mean they aren't even working on a fix for this game? It runs fine on my system, just doesn't save, like everyone elses.

Felinda
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by Felinda on Oct 7, 09 5:14 PM
bulldog - that's the answer you get after they insult you first by telling you to make sure your hardware and software are updated. It is never their fault - always your computer. You are correct. The game runs fine, they just can't get it to run right. I think they should pull it from the list unless they fix it and actually test it. It is too bad that this is a BigFish exclusive. Every single one of the other BigFish games that I have complained about have been found on other sites and they work just fine.

But hey!! You get a credit when something doesn't work and they don't have to lift a finger to fix it. Just choose something else and cross your fingers that BigFish didn't screw that up too. It doesn't matter what we say or think. We are not a big enough consumer base for them to give a wild rat's backside.

I have 4 credits to use here, but will only use them on exclusives when and if they ever put anything out that works. used to buy several extra credits each month from BigFish. No more. Every other game I want I purchase elsewhere, sometimes cheaper. I have yet to have any issues with games purchased elsewhere. Not the case after BigFish gets their hands on them.

Yes, I am disgruntled, fed up, disgusted with the way BigFish treats the Mac community. At least we get included now in contests, etc., but as far as I am concerned, way too little, way too late. (I have been trying for over 2 years for equality)

Felinda
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by Felinda on Oct 8, 09 6:50 AM
Kudos to BigFish for finally removing the defective Steve the Sheriff game for Mac. I really hope they fix and re-release it because it seemed like a cute and fun game.

Steve - hurry up and get well soon!

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Oct 8, 09 12:53 PM
Hey all,

It is true, we have gone ahead and taken the current build for Steve the Sheriff for the Mac down until we have a working build of this game. Once we have a new build of this game, we'll be posting an announcement here.

As for troubleshooting, I've seen questions about this pop up around the forums lately. Rest assured that it is done not to be insulting and not to imply that a customer's computer is at "fault." The reason why our Customer Support representatives troubleshoot with every user is because that is standard procedure and is the first step to resolving any game issue, whether it's a compatibility problem or it actually is a bug. Since we have customers at all levels of technical ability, they always have to start with the basics (uninstall/reinstall, update software, etc.) and go from there.

Whenever an issue first arrives, we do have to look at the possible reasons why an in-game error is being tripped. If we make the assumption that every in-game error is a coded bug and skip the troubleshooting process, our QA team will end up chasing something that is actually the result of a compatibility issue.

When our Customer Support reps no longer have troubleshooting to offer, they can then send information on to our development team. They provide information such as the customer's description of the error, what kind of system the computer is on and what troubleshooting steps were taken. From there, our development team can track down the bug and fix it. In the meantime, sometimes our reps will provide coupons either as a courtesy for the trouble or for those that would rather try a new game instead of waiting for a fix.

I hope that this clears any confusion and we thank you all for your patience as we work towards patching up Steve so he can get back to business!

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

Edited on 10/08/2009 at 12:54:18 PM PST

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Oct 8, 09 4:13 PM
Thanks for explaining about the customer support. Also, thank you for giving us an update. It looks like a fun game, just annoying when you quit out and have to go back to the beginning. Hope it is fixed soon.

werdeee
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by werdeee on Oct 9, 09 9:27 AM
I've always found your customer support team to be exceptionally nice and polite. The man who worked with me on the Steve the Sherriff problem (Chris P.) was no exception. Just because we couldn't find a solution doesn't mean he didn't try his best. Sometimes, like in this case, it really is a bug. Not much he could do in that case.

I'm glad you've taken the game down and have decided to fix the coding.

[Post New]by tactha on Oct 9, 09 12:06 PM
But does it save now? From where you were when you quit? I didn't have a problem with it skipping to the end. I had a problem with it staying where it was!

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Oct 12, 09 5:54 PM
We now have a new version of Steve the Sheriff for the Mac back on the website. The new build resolves the issue with save data not loading correctly after restarting game.

Please note: You will have to start a new profile, profiles from previous builds will not function correctly. The game will only function correctly when new profile is used.

To get the new version, simply uninstall the game from your computer and then reinstall the game from our website. For instructions on how to reinstall the game, click on the link below that will take you to a help article that gives you step by step information:

Reinstall a Mac Game

You will have to start a new profile after reinstalling the game.

If you have any trouble installing the new version of the game, please contact our Technical Support team. You can contact our support team by clicking here or by clicking on the "We're here to help" link at the right of this page.

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Oct 14, 09 3:29 PM
Is anybody else having trouble with the items list. I go back in there and the item list is blank. Does not show what items to find. I have quit out and gone back in, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I'm almost to the end of the game.
It also happen early on in the game as well.

[Post New]by tactha on Oct 14, 09 4:58 PM
bulldog2 wrote:Is anybody else having trouble with the items list. I go back in there and the item list is blank. Does not show what items to find. I have quit out and gone back in, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I'm almost to the end of the game.
It also happen early on in the game as well.

Does it save now?? Sounds like it does. Of course the blank item list would be a problem....

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Oct 14, 09 7:23 PM
It's a fun game even though I had a problem. In that one area I just kept clicking on stuff anyway. I really enjoyed the game

[Post New]by lynn_jenkins on Oct 15, 09 3:18 PM
What about the "hints" bug?

Is that FIXED?

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 18, 09 11:31 AM
TheFatLadySings wrote:I got stuck on the first screen.... when the magnifier spins, directions say to open drawer, click on item and bring it to the spinning area. Nothing happens. Tried it with new player name, tried it untimed, tried on different day....stuck there. Btw, the only item in the drawer was a towel. Liked pics but no sale with that glitch.

Hint -- The towel does not do anything under the bed.

With the most utter surprise, the game seems to be working here. It saves where I quit and all the directions so far do work as described. I was a bit worried when typing my player name did not work smoothly, especially since this game is from the creators of Hidden Wonders -- a game that needed a fix and is still not working properly.

Felinda
Clownfish
Clownfish
666 Posts

[Post New]by Felinda on Oct 18, 09 12:00 PM
bulldog - I have found the same problem with the blank items list. I found that the only way to get it to show up again was to quit the game, then resume it again.

But there was a new problem with the find the differences list after resuming. Now the list shows the items you are supposed to find, so it was kind of disappointing that the thing is still so buggy.

I wish Big Fish would understand the theory behind testing products. It means that when you write something, whether it is a newspaper article, or a computer game, you should have someone else test it to see what you missed. In the case of a newspaper article, and editor checks for any mistakes. Computer programs and games are more complex. Someone should play the game with various computers and/or operating systems to ensure that it will play correctly. Big Fish either doesn't get that, or doesn't care.

At the very least, Big Fish should honestly give us machine specs so that we don't bother downloading or purchasing games that will not run on the computers we own.

Go to: