Disappointed & Offended

loo49
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Disappointed & Offended

[Post New]by loo49 on Apr 12, 10 6:04 PM
Hey jen...I JUST finished this game and it is hilarious...worth every penny IMO. Turn up the sound and enjoy...the conversations are really funny so don't skip them...they are an integeral part of the game. Take your time...and just have fun with this one.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 13, 10 11:06 AM
Pepper . I totally agree about the cheesecake girlies in the games. They are making the images for adolescent boys, but in genres adolescent boys probably never play.

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

[Post New]by jenak3769 on Apr 13, 10 11:16 AM
Science proves all the faults !!!!!!!
A sily HOG game offensive,, really people,, this game was hilarious, simple and just plain entertaing.... End of the Subject....

[Post New]by little_fishey on Apr 13, 10 12:05 PM
Hi U25150

I cant believe that you are making such an issue about the content of this game. As a catholic I was taught that any belief in the occult, be it tarot cards, crystal balls and obviously vampireism, is sinfull.

Personally I dont believe in psycic power, but I am not offended by those who do, no matter what thier religion. As for the "Nakedness", PLEASSSSSE! Do you walk around with your eyes shut and keep your kids indoors during the summer.

Do yourself a favour, If you live near a joke shop go see if they can sell you a sense of humour.

There are a lot more important things going on in the world that are offensive, and maybe you should use your energy to bang on about them.

MERCER

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Apr 13, 10 12:21 PM
genkicoll wrote:I loved every minute of my demo of this game. I came very, VERY close to using my free game credit on this today, but chose Dracula Files at the last second. I am still going to buy Mushroom Age, without a doubt. I look forward to playing it again (and past the 1-hour point! )

Excellent. You did well to choose the Dracula Files!

And for the record, I am not a big fan of religious references in games. Especially crosses. *shudder* They make the games virtually unplayable for me (unless I close my eyes and click around until they are gone).

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Apr 13, 10 12:32 PM
Hey Fishies,

I just want to pop in and encourage folks to keep this discussion centered around the game. If you disagree with someone it's really best to respond to the subject matter and not the individual user and keep the conversation on the topic of the game. Feel free to discuss your opinions about the game Mushroom Age, but remember to respect fellow fishies in these forums.

Happy gaming!

-bfgZambezi

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Apr 23, 10 6:20 AM
i was wondering what i would come across, after reading the remarks in here, but i must say i was not offended in the least..if anything, found it to be a nice lighthearted game, which i found quite relaxing and a bit of a laugh..after all it is just a game!

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on May 10, 10 3:35 PM
I too was wondering what I would come across; now that I've reached the chapter with the 'omniscient one', I'm amused that somebody would find it as pushing religion. I thought it could be seen as anti-religion, since the character talking to the omniscent one is very cynical and very much doubting.
That being said, I think the dialogue in this game is the most entertaining I've come across...'a laugh a chapter'. Most of the tasks are not too hard, but there's a nice variety to keep the player busy. All in all, a very enjoyable game.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 10, 10 5:18 PM
Well, I've learned that the devs at Nevosoft seem to always be a bit outrageous and push things to the limit ala Monty Python for humor. I almost didn't even try Vampireville reading it was the same devs and I'm not into vampires or Dracula fantasy, not my taste, but am I glad I did! Hilarious if you enjoy satire. Like the Pythons, they leave no issue in the establishment untouched.

I should go back and replay Mushroom Age now. At the time I thought it was way too long, got tedious and a lot of items were tiny and hard to see. Some of the minigrames I had to study walkthrough pix to get through and lost my sense of humor in the struggle. Maybe I'm better at these ihogs now, but my eyes aren't.

I hate to see massage therapists get a bad name here. Who knows what Socrates had on under the towel or sheet?? Everyone to their own imagination No offense there.

What did bother me nobody has ever mentioned, that being the whole mushroom theme. I thought it was about dope! Especially the end I thought I was really losing touch with reality. Oh well, some think the poppy fields in Wizard of Oz was promoting drugs, and all the interpretations of Disney's Fantasia being drug related, psychodelic trips etc. Me, I never used any drugs but was just wondering of the paralell messages. In Virtual Villages 1, all my people were so crowded around one cactus plant they wouldn't go back to work, and I'm saying what the heck is with this favorite cactus?? They were so addicted going back I had to end the game. Well we see all kinds of things in things, read all kinds of things into posts depending on how open minded we may be about a subject.

Yah I should give MA a rerun, I could use a laugh, maybe it will feel shorter to me now and can count how many things they pushed to the edge that may be sacred to someone. Maybe the humor just went over the heads of some players. I'll TRY not to think about mushrooms, you try to assume ole Soc has on his skivies. Tsk tsk.

[Post New]by GhostBunny18 on Jul 3, 10 7:45 PM
Thanks, this really made me laugh...
Massages are like that... maybe you're too tense, you should go get one done. It's nothing sexual, just muscle relief.

I know I'm pretty much numb to all religious things and to be honest this game thats the mickey out of almost every thing including how mushroom age will be around and so on... I mean.. lighten up! just tell your kid it's a memory game, he'd probably join in.

I admit I cringed a little when i saw him lying there but still, it's not a bad game and by the time you try to remember the sequences, you won't notice him lying there.

relax, it's ok.

Disappointed & Offended

[Post New]by DaisyThe4F on Oct 9, 10 6:26 AM
U25150 wrote:
There is a mini-game with Socrates & guess what you get to do?

Give him a full body massage while he's only wearing a towel. I was waiting for the boom-chica-wow-wow music.

Errr... what other way is there of giving a full-body massage?

And by the way, "full-body" never includes "private parts" when dealing with professional, state-certified and licensed masseurs or masseuses, or in serious massage places doing therapeutic massage.

The type of "massage" and music you're thinking about is something totally different... [removed by moderator]

Edited on 10/09/2010 at 9:07:01 AM PST

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Oct 9, 10 11:22 PM
I just finished playing Mushroom Age and thought it came across as more so blasphemous than religious. I am not religious so it didn't offend me. Jesus is mentioned in one of the puzzles, but merely as a historical figure, he is never actually shown. And the Omniscient One is a God-like figure, but has flaws and they are pointed out, by other humans, which could definitely be seen as blasphemous. Isn't God supposed to be perfect and unquestionable according to Christianity? He definitely doesn't come across that way in this game, so I don't understand how someone could think this game is pounding a Christian message in to people's heads. If anything a parent should be concerned about how the game makers seemed to be high when they made this game. I more so see this game promoting drug use than I do religion. But that is just my opinion. Personally, I wasn't offended by anything in this game, and thought it was one of the most fun and original games I have ever played on BFG. I also really hope that they make a sequel for it since it did end on a bit of a cliffhanger. But if you are offended by blasphemy, drug use, or giving massages to someone that is scantily clad, then it's best if you stay away from this game.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Dec 7, 10 1:43 AM
To each his own. I love my freedom and so would never try to do anything to cause someone else to feel that they were about to be pilllered for giving there believes. Just don't try to force feed me. As I said I Love My Freedom. So To each his own, I had a lot of gliches with this game just got it working recently and so far am finding it amusing it's just a game. It isn't going to make me have a life changing experence.syl Hugs!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Mar 20, 11 11:24 AM
I just finished the demo and wandered over to this forum to see what the comments on the game were. I personally enjoyed the demo and plan to use my credit to get the game, so I was really surprised to see the title of this thread. I was in no way either disapointed or offended by the game.

Now, while everyone should be encouraged to freely state their opinions about the games, posters should also be free to contradict the original premise of the thread if they disagree with it or if they think that the original poster's personal quirks are giving an unfair representation of the game. That is what I see happening here and I personally have no problem with it.

Besides which, a "naked" man would be one "completely unclothed" per the dictionary definition, not one covered by a towel. I found it to be a interesting variation on the "play the musical note" puzzle; I didn't see anything particularly salacious about a balding, stocky older man lying on his stomach on a massage table. Heck, I would have had more fun with the puzzle if it had been a young, ripped guy.

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 6:10:08 PM PST

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on May 30, 11 10:49 PM
I deliberately went searching for some great games, on Nevosoft's website, as I've been disappointed with several BFG games, lately. Thus, I found this game, found it was on the BFG website, demo'ed it, loved it, and promptly BOUGHT it! It's as light-hearted and fun as their game, Christmasville, is (their original, one-of-a-kind, Christmas game, that I ADORE! ).

What I was looking for were FUN, upbeat, colorful, whimsical, cheerful games, similar to the two "Snark Busters" games and knew that Nevosoft was a developer that prefers that style, as well (as opposed to the never-ending dark, dreary, grisly, gruesome, grotesque, eerie, blood-thirsty, occult-filled stories that have long overwhelmed the computer gaming world, IMHO)! As an RN, for more than a quarter of a century, I've had all of the death, murder, mayhem, crises, criminals, craziness, and horrifying events - in REAL LIFE - a person could EVER want to be constantly exposed to!

One of the ways I handle the SEVERE STRESS of my professional life, is to get weekly full-body massages, in which I am completely BARE, but covered by a sheet and massaged, expertly (and non-sexually!), by an highly skilled, MALE massage therapist! I have NOTHING to be afraid of, either playing this game OR by being massaged in the nude (for 8+ years!). This is a great game, exactly what I expected from Nevosoft, and I'm grateful I bought it!

Edited on 05/30/2011 at 10:52:18 PM PST

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on Feb 4, 13 6:47 AM
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but MA is the Catch of the Week, so I checked it out again and found this thread.

Now I did buy it few years ago, and I quite liked it, very weird and great storyline. In MY opinion it is mostly about evolution - all the different things that could have been or will be. And time travel and how it could influence the world. And a lot of tongue-in-cheek humour. Yes, some of it is mildly adult - men trying to hit on our young heroine, but she stays true to her fiance, doesn't she? Good message!

I have not been brought up to be religious, but kind and tolerant to all people; and I didn't see this game as forcing someone's religion down my throat. Let's face it, people, our Western (USA and Europe, and many other countries around the world) culture is based on Christianity. Sorry. It's still there - do you celebrate Christmas? Easter? Treat Sunday as a holiday (holy day?) Listen to classical music? Read literature that is more than 50 years old? Go to the theatre or even cinema? All these things are hugely influenced or have their roots directly in Christianity. And that's fine. It's our history. Some people still believe in it, some don't. And that's fine, too. Just live and let live, you know.

Personally, I am more offended by all the promotion of the dark gory asylum/abandoned manor infested with mad doctors/murderers/ghosts/vampires etc games. I mean, in the last week, there have been 6 games released with supernatural themes. And the titles include words such as "omens", "grim", "dark", "nightmare", "grave". (Why is it more important to be nasty to others than nice? I don't think I will ever understand it. And it would take too long to debate it here, and it would be the wrong place.) Granted, there are a few more lighthearted games, like Rolling Idols and Seven Seas Solitaire, but that "grim vampire ghosts" stuff that has been forced on us for the past few years dominates still. Although I have hope. People seem to grow weary of it.

So how someone can be offended by this game that is obviously meant to be funny and taking the mickey out of itself, I can't understand. But it's not your bag, I guess. I hope you got your refund.

tuskel,
sincerely

Edited on 02/04/2013 at 6:47:47 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Feb 4, 13 2:56 PM
As someone who owns and has played this game, it seems to me that anyone who is finding things offensive about it should spend a little more time in the real world and less time in seeing fault where there is none intended.

And as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it might be wise find a joke store and buy a sense of humor.

No one expects every game to appeal to every person, but if you can't see the humor in the world around you, and especially in the seeming irrationality your own personal beliefs as they appear to others, then IMO you need to broaden your outlook and see the shades of grey in life. It is very easy to be offended; it takes much more thought to look at oneself and the world objectively, and see things from another's point of view and not be so quick to offense.

sheepgirl
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Disappointed & Offended

[Post New]by sheepgirl on Feb 5, 13 6:28 AM
U25150 wrote:It really takes a lot to offend me but this game ... WoW!

The graphics were good. The time travel cut scene was the best. Those are the two good things I can say.

Now, I seriously had to stop and remember if I downloaded this game from BFG or from Trinity Broadcast Network.

Jesus this, God that, we're all saved ... really, now.

People are offended by tarot cards? This is blantant religious. I don't play games on BFG to learn about Christianity. I play games on BFG for mental stimulation, relaxation & escape from the normal day to day stresses.

Now, the biggest WHOA?!? Parents if you are considering downloading this game for your children/minor DO NOT DO IT!!!

There is a mini-game with Socrates & guess what you get to do?

Give him a full body massage while he's only wearing a towel. I was waiting for the boom-chica-wow-wow music.

Seriously, for those that play these games and get a jump on reviewing it, please include whether there are religious connotations & semi-nude scenes.

My kid walked in and asked "Mom, what the heck are you playing?!?" Talk about embarrassed.

Excuse me, constructive criticism helps, this does not.

Your comments just made me cringe. Get a life.....or a mirror so you can see your kid coming......

I would however be interested to know what kind of games you normally play?

Go to: