castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

Re:Destination: Treasure Island comments and reviews

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 11:26 AM
I want to try it, just afraid of it not working!
Miss Clairol

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 12:08 PM
Thanks to the fishie who let us know where we can try the 60 min. demo!

Much appreciated
Miss Clairol

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 4, 09 12:41 PM
No trial. I am not buying... What if's.....Don't want to go crying to CS. And with the LFG I always seem to have to go to the walkthrough for just about everything. No sale.
Have a great week everyone.

lesley234
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by lesley234 on Oct 4, 09 12:42 PM
I have been playing for an hour and it's great! Be sure you collect everything.
Graphics are fab. Navigation a breeze. BFG has done us a favor,this game is $29.95 at Best Buy. So.....go for it!

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Oct 4, 09 1:01 PM

I love adventure games and I am not afraid to use walkthroughs! There's a great site that gives you hints before revealing the actually answers and I go there first for any assistance.

I just downloaded this one after reading the positive review from Gameboomers. They gave it a solid B, so it shouldn't be too shabby. I'll report back after a few hours of gaming!

mzaura
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by mzaura on Oct 4, 09 1:11 PM
I, too, just downloaded and it froze on me twice. It aggravates me to have uninstall and reinstall a large file game.....grrrr ..but I guess I have no choice. I will do that before I get in touch with customer care. Ok...happy gaming!!!!

PamNor58
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by PamNor58 on Oct 4, 09 1:31 PM
Castellerin, can't find the tip from the fishie that you mentioned in our post. Any tips where to find the demo?

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 1:58 PM
[removed by moderator] takes about 10 min. to download and am playing now. Seems like a great game. I must say one of the few games were the voices and acting is half decent!!

I want to use a peice of inventory , i clicked on it and it is on the top left screen. Does anyone know how i use it. It is the rop to climbe out of the cabin window?

So far seems good and no freezing. I am playing on a laptop.

Edited on 10/15/2009 at 2:55:26 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Oct 4, 09 2:04 PM
forensicMD,

The Assembling is easy once you get used to it, but it does work a little differently than some other games.

1. If an object can be disassembled, it will have a tiny wrench icon next to while it's in the main storage area.

2. To disassemble it, you left-click on it in the storage area to select it, which makes it stick to your cursor. Then you click on the big wrench icon next to the Assembly area. So that part is visually easy to understand once you know how to do it.

3. When it disassembles, all the component parts end up in a heap in the transit zone at the top right of the screen. Again, visually it makes sense once you know where to look.

4. Now you can take the individual pieces one at a time out of the transit zone and put each into its own storage slot. That's what I recommended in the Blog Walkthrough, because that way you get to look at each one and see what it is.

OR you can just click the AUTO button that is underneath the transit zone. That takes everything out of the transit zone and puts each one into its own storage slot.

It's just that as the game goes on you're quite likely to have 2 pages of items in the storage area with some slots full and some empty, so AUTO may put some of the pieces on the first page and some on the second and it can be a little confusing.

Assembling objects is much more like other games. You just left-click on one item in the storage area to select it, then left-click on the one you want to combine with.

Again the result goes into the transit zone, so you have to pick it up there to actually use it. But visually it all makes sense when you see it happen.

So I wouldn't say it's more complicated than other games. But the transit zone as an intermediate stop does make the process a bit different.

Robin

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Oct 4, 09 2:06 PM
castellerin wrote:[removed by moderator]. takes about 10 min. to download and am playing now. Seems like a great game. I must say one of the few games were the voices and acting is half decent!!

I want to use a peice of inventory , i clicked on it and it is on the top left screen. Does anyone know how i use it. It is the rop to climbe out of the cabin window?

So far seems good and no freezing. I am playing on a laptop.

Climbing out of the window is actually more complicated than it seems. You'll find there may be more steps than you were expecting.

Probably the easiest thing is just to take a look at the Blog Walkthrough, which is posted free here at Big Fish Games.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, just click on the Try This Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Good luck!

Robin

Edited on 10/15/2009 at 2:55:40 PM PST

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 2:09 PM
oooh o.k. thanks Robin, getting ahead of myself I see!

Miss Clairol

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 4, 09 2:13 PM
Can't stress enough fishies.........go to [removed by moderator] try the demo. good game and pretty high quality for a 2 year old game.

Edited on 10/15/2009 at 2:55:56 PM PST

mzaura
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by mzaura on Oct 4, 09 2:40 PM
Ok..uninstalled and reinstalled, still having same exact issue. Right now I am not very happy and will have to wait until tomorrow to get with CS. GRRRRRR!!!! This is a new pc so I know I am not over on space nor is my video card old and outdated. Perhaps it is cuz I am running Vista. Hmmm. Oh well..as I said,,will have to wait and see tomorrow.

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Oct 4, 09 5:38 PM

Hi! Just finished playing the game for a couple hours. So far I'm loving it!

Gameplay looks alot like Return to Mystery Island, so if you enjoyed that one you should like this one as well. Inventory items are put together and taken apart in the exact same manner as Return to Mystery island.

Gameplay also has the 360 rotation thing going on. If it's moving too fast for you, you can go to "Options" and put rotation on "SLOW". I ended up doing that right away. You get used to the 360 rotation after a few minutes of playing.

Game froze up on my first time playing within 30 minutes. So I was forced to reboot the computer and try again. After playing for 10 minutes the 2nd time around, I saved my progress and I haven't had a problem with freezing ever since. So maybe try saving your game early on and frequently there after...Seems to be working for me. I am playing on a Vista laptop that is prone to giving me the blue screen of death when playing games.

You are giving puzzles clues from Long John Silver's map that help guide you on the next steps to take.

I just completed one portion of the map and ready to go on the next revealed part of the map.

Happy Gaming!

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by raystownlady on Oct 4, 09 5:47 PM
mzaura wrote:Ok..uninstalled and reinstalled, still having same exact issue. Right now I am not very happy and will have to wait until tomorrow to get with CS. GRRRRRR!!!! This is a new pc so I know I am not over on space nor is my video card old and outdated. Perhaps it is cuz I am running Vista. Hmmm. Oh well..as I said,,will have to wait and see tomorrow.

I have Vista and it ran fine.Must be something else.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Oct 4, 09 5:54 PM
From one Robin to another, thanks for the great review! I have been wanting this game a couple of years ago, but haven't seen it for awhile on the shelves and it was 30 bucks when I did. So it sounds like a great value! Game credit is in and again in hours, is gone again!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Oct 4, 09 6:32 PM
I played this game a year or two ago when it came out in a retail box, and I really enjoyed it. There were even some puzzles that I hadn't encountered before and they were a lot of fun to solve.

This was one of those games where I really didn't know what to expect and it is now on my "buried treasure" list, which seems appropriate!

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 4, 09 7:33 PM
I just finished playing... first let me say that I had no technical issues. I think for me the total game play was less than 3 hours, which was kind of disappointing for a large file game. I did use the blog walkthrough in several places, as there were some inventory puzzles that didn't make sense to me, and it would have taken me MUCH longer had I not gotten help--but I want my game time to be spent doing interesting things, not desperately trying to combine every object in my inventory. If you have played Mysterious Island/Return to Mysterious Island, the technical game play is very similar, although I preferred those two games to this one.

Pros:
Interesting and unique puzzles (for the most part)
Story-line
Graphics

Cons:
Knot-tying mini-games (much of this just seemed like guessing, it was frustrating, and it occurs frequently in the game)
Length of game play

Ultimately, I enjoyed it while it lasted and felt it was worth the $6.99, but it doesn't make my Top 10 list for large file games available from BF. However, I did think the little Easter Egg shout-out to the TV show Lost was amusing (and for those of you wondering how old the game is, that makes it less than five years old).

Edited on 10/04/2009 at 7:35:24 PM PST

bgibsonaz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by bgibsonaz on Oct 4, 09 8:24 PM
I have downloaded this game twice and it will download and install, when I start the gave it does the company splash the a black screen with v1/02 at the bottom, music plays but this is where it hangs...

I'd really like my game credit returned, I don't want to jump through all these hoops just to get the game running.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 4, 09 8:34 PM
bgibsonaz wrote:I have downloaded this game twice and it will download and install, when I start the gave it does the company splash the a black screen with v1/02 at the bottom, music plays but this is where it hangs...

I'd really like my game credit returned, I don't want to jump through all these hoops just to get the game running.

BF has great customer service... you just need to e-mail them basically what you have said above and they'll do it.

Go to: