Re:Cake Mania Main Street comments and reviews

[Post New]by natalie87 on Oct 11, 09 1:05 PM
I played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay, but will not be buying and will be discouraging others from buying because of the blatantly stereotypical portrayal of the black character. I was so appalled at the first appearance of this character that I actually lost the level, and quit immediately after.

This is 2009. As an African-American female in this century, I do not expect to load up a casual game and be slapped in the face with a modern-day "mammy". For those who don't know what I'm talking about; there is a fat, black female, bedecked in gold jewelry, whose greeting to you is, "Heeeeeyyyyy!", upon receiving her purchase she will then jump for joy and clap her hands in stupid glee before leaving.

The only thing she was missing was a bandana tied around her head. Just picture a female Fat Albert with gold hoop earrings and a large gold chain, and you'll be close enough.

I buy a LOT of casual games, especially time-management games, and have purchased all of the other Cake Mania games twice. One for me and one for my younger sister. I will NOT be spending a dime on this one, and I will probably refrain from buying ANY games from this publisher ever again.

I am extremely disappointed in the use of a stereotype for a quick laugh, and would encourage anyone else who doesn't find outdated, offensive, racial depictions funny to avoid this game like the plague.

mooskilady
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by mooskilady on Oct 12, 09 3:44 AM
I'm not having any trouble with pixelation on my 26" screen and truly enjoy the game. I have had a few access violations for some unknown reason but when I get back in everything is just fine. I really enjoy that there are multiple shops instead of just cakes but wish the opportunity was there to upgrade everything all the way instead of finishing the shops with half upgraded items.

And I disagree totally with the stereotype comment. Lighten up Nat. If there was no african-american character it would be discrimination, any characterization is stereotyping. Where is the mid-point? Do you see anyone griping because granny carries a cat? Because the business woman is impatient and pushy? I'm a grandmother without cats and a non-pushy, non-impatient business woman but I don't jump on the stereotype bandwagon just because that's the portrayal.

[Post New]by lisab1966 on Oct 12, 09 4:42 AM
have always loved cake mania so bought this as soon as it came out, i enjoyed playing it but i have finished the bakery already, i didnt even get to buy any toppers or serve any tea and as that was my favorite shop it was not really worth it for less than a weeks play of about an hour a day. agree that more than four shops would have been nice but more levels of bakery would have been better

katelyn15
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by katelyn15 on Oct 14, 09 11:31 AM
This game has kept my interest more than most--probably because it's like 4 games in 1--until something happened and my previously completed Sushi place says I haven't played at all. I did think it was weird when I re-played level 8 of the flower place and it told me that the sushi place was unlocked... I never thought it would delete my progress though... I only save the game in 1 slot, and I finished the sushi part days ago. Anyway, aside from computer bugs, I give it a thumbs up!

One thing I dislike is: when I go back to re-play a level, I don't have the option to buy or sell anything. So if I made a stupid mistake I can't correct it. Grr.

Putt1505
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Putt1505 on Oct 15, 09 7:18 AM
PrincessCoalby wrote:I loved the other Cake Mania trials, so I bought one (since they're all basically the same) and I loved it. Yet....this new one did nothing for me. In fact I found it quite boring. The upgrading other stores and having a different type of game in there is great and I thought I'd love it, but they were so boring--reminded me of those real simplified games for kids. Ugh! So I will not be buying this one, even though I loved Cake Mania 1, 2 and 3.

Totally agree with this post. And I also loved Cake Mania 1, 2 and 3.

julie03904
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by julie03904 on Oct 16, 09 3:54 PM
I played the demo for this and admittedly didn't buy it so haven't played it long. But I didn't care for the different shops you have to play. They reminded me to much of poor versions of other games I have already played. If I wanted to play them I wouldn't be playing cake mania. I don't mind the idea of different kinds of shops but I wish the primary focus was still on making cakes and the other shops played more as mini games.

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Oct 20, 09 3:47 PM
Being a Cake Mania nut (I've bought all the series games), I do believe that this is the best of them. One and Two were plagued by point and click issues for me (she just wouldn't pick up something unless I clicked exactly in the middle or to the right of it) and the third one was darn hard and a little impossible to get top scores in the last few games, but did branch out in different areas.

This one has more added value by offering a burger store, flower store, and sushi bar as well as the traditional bakery, plus a number of things you can buy to make your little town and gameplay better. Plus you can play them whenever you like (once the store is bought) giving a nice variety mix.

The graphics are beautiful - the best yet. I'm still disappointed that she can't pick up more than one thing at once. (at least, not yet - I'm about half way thru)

I've only had one fatal error that crashed the game since I've started playing it, and I went straight back into that level and it didn't re-appear.

I also like how each level something changes at the bakery or flower shop (even if I didn't buy any upgrades). Like the patterns on the oven or flower maker. This helps keep interest.

I love the sushi bar and the feel to those other stores; the graphics are clear and beautiful and the chain bonuses give it extra punch. It's well on par with any of the other restaurant games and tends to make me hungry afterwards.

Love it.

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Oct 20, 09 3:59 PM
There was an icecream game not long ago that I suggest you stay well clear of. It was far worse than Cake Mania Main Street. The characters not only looked offensive, but they said far worse than this game. I actually found it so offensive I didn't finish the trial!

I can't remember its name at the moment. They were coming to like a van on the beach or something. It wasn't a very good game.

I'm often surprised to read the credits on most of the games; they are made by Asian or Russian designers; yet the characters are usually white or stereotypical characters from white society. I don't know why this is.

I was actually glad to see the African-American character in Cake Mania. I think its the first non-white character I've ever seen in it, and I think there should be more of a blend of nationalities and real looking people (and less weird stereotypes - though the Vampire in this one really helps mix it up by turning everyone elses order to something else if he is impatient).

natalie87 wrote:I played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay, but will not be buying and will be discouraging others from buying because of the blatantly stereotypical portrayal of the black character. I was so appalled at the first appearance of this character that I actually lost the level, and quit immediately after.

This is 2009. As an African-American female in this century, I do not expect to load up a casual game and be slapped in the face with a modern-day "mammy". For those who don't know what I'm talking about; there is a fat, black female, bedecked in gold jewelry, whose greeting to you is, "Heeeeeyyyyy!", upon receiving her purchase she will then jump for joy and clap her hands in stupid glee before leaving.

The only thing she was missing was a bandana tied around her head. Just picture a female Fat Albert with gold hoop earrings and a large gold chain, and you'll be close enough.

I buy a LOT of casual games, especially time-management games, and have purchased all of the other Cake Mania games twice. One for me and one for my younger sister. I will NOT be spending a dime on this one, and I will probably refrain from buying ANY games from this publisher ever again.

I am extremely disappointed in the use of a stereotype for a quick laugh, and would encourage anyone else who doesn't find outdated, offensive, racial depictions funny to avoid this game like the plague.

[Post New]by shuckle51 on Oct 28, 09 6:18 PM
I became very annoyed by this game because when it speeded up I could not carry more than one item. Like Flo, Ms. Cake should be able to multitask. The customers came fast and furious, but Ms. Cake stayed at the same slow speed.

[Post New]by shuckle51 on Oct 28, 09 6:23 PM
Nat87. Totoally agree with you. I was also surprised by the "fat" black woman in skin tight leggings ( and I am not black, but ethnic). At least in Diner Dash they are professional. Maybe too intolerant, but at least business women.

[Post New]by 39queenvictoria on Nov 13, 09 9:40 AM
Yes, I was offended to by the "black mama" character. This game is not as good as the other Cake Mania games. OH and what about the black men who steals money and then throws the peace sign. Why, the black men have to steal money. Whoever designed this game should apologize. I will not being playing this game either. Wish I could get my money back because I am disgusted.

[Post New]by musicmom79 on Nov 14, 09 8:45 PM
I thought it was fun during the trial. I was offended by the "black momma" character, but thought the gangster guy was a mafia representation, not necessarily black. Maybe Italian people should be offended...Still upset because I can't play it when I've used a coupon to purchase it!!!!!!Will be calling Big Fish Games in Washington state Monday to try to talk to a real person.

[Post New]by renee23 on Nov 16, 09 8:35 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It is the best of the cake mania series. You get to run four different shops and do some upgrading around town. You can also upgrade your shops to bring in more money.

[Post New]by Kooshka on Nov 19, 09 1:44 PM
I find nothing offensive in this game. The black chick looks like my best friend, and the guy who steals money is obviously a mafia dude. Personally, I like seeing characters of different shapes and sizes in games. 90% of the games out there star skinny white people.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 21, 09 6:43 PM
A lovely addition to Cake Mania-and I purchased the first version, wasn't expecting other types of shops so well done for variety!!

[Post New]by trumpteezer on Dec 8, 09 7:14 AM
I though this game was fantastic. It was challenging but doable. I appreciated there were four different shops- no time to get bored. Well worth the money.

[Post New]by MetalJanie on Jan 31, 10 11:10 AM
I really enjoy this game, but why does it freeze up in the middle of game while I am playing? I have a very hard time seeing screen, music plays still but computer is unresponisve. What is wrong with the game, what is happening?

Same thing with Cake Mania 3, everything gets messed up. Can this issue please be fixed so we all can enjoy the game? Thanks

BlueSkunk12
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by BlueSkunk12 on Jul 31, 10 6:08 PM
I hated Jill's high screeching voice so much that I never made it to the play screen.

Please, for the love of all that's good, get someone else to play her!

[Post New]by sassyhall on Aug 24, 10 6:01 PM
I like this game it was fun, and kept me interested. This is the game to buy.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Dec 18, 10 11:00 PM
I really, really like this game. Fun characters and I love all the variety. Game is challenging without being rip your hair out frustrating. Sometimes you have to replay a level just to make it, sometimes you make it with expert no problem, it all really depends on your strategy. Getting to know the tv channels and who likes them and then using them over and over helps tremendously when you have PIA characters like the ninja, superman, the chef or even the pirate. I really have enjoyed myself so much playing this. There are also upgrades that you can buy in the town (such as a ferris wheel, gardens, etc) and you also upgrade the outside appearance of the buildings you run (cake shop, burger joint, flower shop, etc). When running the burger shop, you play as Jill's fiancée (or is it husband?). She still comes off like a 14 year old to me, lol. While playing the cake shop, you play Jill. Haven't tried the flower shop yet but I believe it will be her friend running that. There's also a Japanese sushi chef so there probably is a sushi shop somewhere along the way. Have played the game for about 3 hours so far - that was playing cake shop from beginning to end, all levels, and partial of the burger shop. Excellent game, lots of fun - highly recommend it.

Go to: