phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 9, 09 12:23 PM
DLing now. The screenshots are gorgeous, and reminiscent of Dream Chronicles. Can't wait to play, and it looks like a must buy for me, too!

ETA: And THANK YOU! for the tip about turning off the tutorial! That will make the game for me! (I hate games that hold your hand.)

Edited on 10/09/2009 at 12:24:55 PM PST

[Post New]by sallyf33 on Oct 9, 09 12:29 PM
My first dip into the forum fishpond having been lurking for over a year. So Hi all!

I only did the demo, great graphics, suitable for less able computers but what I would call a "straightforward" game. Nothing too challenging, but not scene-to-scene boring either. I probably won't buy...I do a test. I play the demo,if I'm still thinking about it later then I go back to purchase.

On this basis I bought Enlightenus, Magic Encyclopedia Moonlight, Drawn, Joyville and Vampire recently and liked those although Drawn was too much for my aged laptop! Played Princess Isabella off another site, that is a "must buy". Dracula Origin, Edgar Allen Poe and Dept 42 were tedious, imo and I uninstalled them

RTR remains the Holy Grail of a good, repeat playing excellent game, but I have probably played Azada and sequel, Azkend and Saqquarah more than RTR!! Just the repetitive mindlessness of it I suppose!

Thought I would get that off my chest, and thanks to Poodlebear and Silly Feet amongst others who have given great critical reviews.

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Oct 9, 09 1:16 PM
hello again to all. I downloaded for the hour and then bought the game,but when it installed, it said something like "there was an error " and so it started me at the very beginning . Never had that happen before. So, I will start from the beginning which p------ me off. Good thing Im retired and have lots of time. Thanks for letting me sound off. I feel better now..

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Oct 9, 09 1:20 PM
Very easy game. Nice graphics. Nothing recent has been good! I hope there are some better games on the horizon or I will not be getting the free game, not that one free game is much enticement to buy six others! Will probably buy just because there is nothing else and that is far from my favorite reason to buy a game!

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 9, 09 1:35 PM
Played exactly two reincarnations in the demo hour. Storywise it's an unusual HOG, exploring the past lives of the main character in order to write an article about it, and helping the past incarnations with a problem they have, for example - I guess it's not too big a spoiler when mention the first in the beginning - find enlightenment in an oriental scenario.

Objects in the H O scenes are sometimes fitting with the scenario, more often just junk "delivered" to the picture. Mostly they are clear and easy to find, some harder ones strewn in.

Mini games: One puzzle - the pentagram which opens the flowers - I had to do four times, others were easy to very easy.

Graphics I found definitely better than HOG average, music and sound effects are non-obtrusive.

Plot: I wish it were a bit longer in the past lives. You do your stuff in 4-5 screens and are out again.

Estimated length: About 2 hours 30 minutes.

Verdict: Nice HOG with different story. Will buy it when I got a spare credit.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 9, 09 2:34 PM
I got to the puzzle where you have to open the fower buds in the trial and, so far, I like the game. It's very colorful and I really like the accent of the old man. The game seems to be on the easy side. It could be a bit more difficult but not by too much, at least for me. I'm not sure about buying, yet. I'm leaning more toward the puppet game, right now. I meant to add that I took the advice of those who suggested turning off the tutoral and I'm glad I did. There is plenty of help without it.

Edited on 10/09/2009 at 2:37:39 PM PST

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Oct 9, 09 4:18 PM
I'm in agreement with the majority here, bought it before the demo finished and have now just finished, lovely graphics, nice music, interesting story. Game play was not overly challenging, most objects were easy to find and the mini games were also not overly difficult. All in all a good fun game which I enjoyed immensely

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Oct 9, 09 5:13 PM
Hello to all. Sallyf33, I just have to ask - being a HOG fan - what is the game RTR that you're so impressed with?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Oct 9, 09 5:23 PM
lynwil wrote:Hello to all. Sallyf33, I just have to ask - being a HOG fan - what is the game RTR that you're so impressed with?

RTR is Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst; it's kind of the benchmark standard around here for how all other interactive hidden object games are judged.

[Post New]by thatsashame on Oct 9, 09 6:26 PM
Thanks for the reviews, as always you guys are great and right on target with them.

Did the demo and I enjoyed it, but wish it was a teensy bit more difficult and had more to it. I did two and had just started the third at the end of the hour, so wasn't all that much left to do. Laflamme made a good point on wishing each scene were longer and more involved. Other than that, it was a good game for me. I'm finding I like the interactive games way more than the standard HOG lately.

Completely off topic, but after playing Drawn and really liking it, are most of the large file games like this? I really, really liked Drawn, but don't want to be dropping coin on games that don't have demos, especially when I'm not all that familiar with the genre. I was interested in the Dracula large file game...

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Oct 9, 09 6:37 PM
I got almost through the 2nd incarnation in the demo. The graphics are great, music okay, story line-silly, voice acting- meh. I like the interactive elements, always makes a good HOG better. Still I find myself undecided on purchasing this game. The length is what bothers me I think, it seems lately all the halfway decent games have been on the short side.
/5

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Oct 9, 09 7:45 PM
Like Lushknight, I had just about wrapped up the second incarnation when the demo left off. So that would estimate 2.5 hours. An OK, but not exciting length.

It seems most reviews agree the graphics are pretty good, audio above average (not a very high standard, I know) and mini games slightly more difficult than average.

It does seem a bit cast to stereotypes - the Doctor has a Germanic accent and the first incarnation is a beautiful Asian girl (not sure exactly where, but there are a lot of Buddhas around). Second is a prisoner, whom we have to expect is wrongly imprisoned (it is ME for goodness sake; of course it is wrongly!) .

The story line is, as usual, quite far fetched. Put aside the unlikely scenario that a junior ad copywriter would be hired to write a major story, you also have to contend with the fact that the editor decides our heroine needs "personal experience" in reincarnation. She goes to the local hypnotist and gets just not just one but five experiences.

OK, the game itself. HOG are not too hard, The adventure part is pretty straight forward - not a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. No backtracking through multiple scenes. The HOGs themselves are usually scenes within a room rather than a full room. Objects are well integrated into the scenes.

While you do discover your previous life, you really do not learn much about it (why, for example was I in prison or unhappy?). A little more meat to the story would be good.

If you are put off by references to reincarnation or past lives, definitely stay away from this game. It takes past lives as fact and there is never any question of it being a dream or anything. That does not bother me, but I imagine it will some people.

I am still undecided about this. The hour passed quickly with no frustration - better than the average hour in my life, so that is a plus. But I could comfortably put it aside to write this rather than rush to buy so I could see what happened next. Tomorrow will likely tell.

my rating:
/

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Oct 9, 09 10:24 PM
Thanks for that Howatch, it really had me baffled. I have the first Ravenshurst but I'll have to have a look at 'Return' if it's that good.

[Post New]by sallyf33 on Oct 10, 09 12:59 AM
Sorry about that Lynwil and thanks for providing the answer Howatch.

Return to Ravenhearst is an absolute must-have Lynwil, and there is your day planned for you. ( After you have finished Reincarnations of course just to stay on topic )

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Oct 10, 09 4:04 AM
My Thanks to Vogat Interactive for a lovely game. I really enjoyed it. Graphics were quite wonderful. Enjoyable storyline. I left the music on throughout the game which I don't often do ... typically I mute the music; so the score for this game was pleasant without being obtrusive.
... Some items easy to find but some were nicely disguised. None were excessively difficult to find. The interactive parts were fun.
... I listen to audio books every week and am very aware of the importance of the "right" voice. There were a couple of characters in the game who could have had a better voice but since their duration is short it's not a big deal.
... Mini-games were on the easy side. Some a little more challenging than others; but all were quite fun. I did have difficulty with moving the airship because you have to click and hold the mouse to "steer" the ship and that's a little painful. I was able to complete it. But, If that type of action is difficult, the player can skip the puzzle.

One Request to Developers -- I'd like to see the trend of "To Be Continued" stopped. I'd like a game to come to a definite conclusion. If a sequel is published later, wonderful. I just don't want to feel like I've been left hanging for a year waiting for it.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Oct 10, 09 4:39 AM
I agree with cesse47 about the To Be Continued. I enjoyed the game, but I thought it a bit too easy. Too much hand holding even with the tutorial turned off. A big plus is that my husband is almost finished with it and that is something he almost never does.
He loses interest very quickly. For me, a bit less help, but other than that, I thought is was really interesting. Did not overtax the gray matter.

[Post New]by ski77ppyDiane on Oct 10, 09 5:29 AM
This game download ok but was unable to play, kept getting the error message saying that another game was in progress but there wasn't. It slowed up my computer so much I uninstalled it.

[Post New]by nessanana on Oct 10, 09 7:25 AM
Wish i could enjoy this game but when i click on some areas it just brings me out of the game and i have to start again.
Thank goodness for free trials, i would have been so disappointed if i had bought the game.

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Oct 10, 09 8:05 AM
Have only just trialled this game today and I think it's a wonderful game. I bought it after only 20 minutes into the demo.

I don't need to write my own review as I agree with Poodlebear and Sillyfeet and their comments.

After purchase I started again as the tutorial hints were too helpful so I needed to disable that element. I also disabled custom cursor as it was a little sluggish for me.

Would just like to add that for me the game will be plenty long enough because when games can go on and on for hours I tend to leave them and quite often forget to go back and finish them. Consequently I have lots of unfinished games and now I can't remember how much I liked them.

for this one from me.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 8:06:02 AM PST

MizzezJ99
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by MizzezJ99 on Oct 10, 09 9:32 AM
By the demo I was excited. Purchased the game and finished about 30 minutes later. Too short. But a fun and interesting game.

Go to: