Re:Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name comments and reviews

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Oct 10, 09 10:33 AM
so on my second installation the game works fine. PLEASE for the love of humanity, put a "skip Intro" button on this game...agggghhhhhh. having said that, I'm enjoying it so far...

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Oct 10, 09 10:34 AM
Gee I feel any comment I make would be redundant. Soooo...
Dear Big Time Games,
We really wish you would listen to us, the gamers. Please understand that we like things like Skip buttons, Hint buttons that actually give you a hint, credits at the end of a game, and games that do not require sound to play. Here's hoping you'll buy a clue(don't bother with the hints, its useless).
The Fishies

P.S. I'm not going to rate or buy a game I can't really play.

Edited on 10/10/2009 at 10:36:37 AM PST

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Oct 10, 09 11:29 AM
HA! I thought it was just me until I read the reviews.

I played the full hour and had just gotten the key out of the toilet.

WAAAAAAAY to much time walking around checking locked doors. And since you do not know what may have changed since your last visit, way too many times hearing the voice of our hero regretting that the door is locked or Barbara telling me that the balcony is off limits.

Pros:
I did the tutorial at the beginning and it was quite good - gave me high hopes for the game.
Voices are decent.

Cons:
Can not use the recorder or camera when you need it - no cursor!
Hints are all but useless
Navigation is wonky - "enter" and "exit" are fine but the down arrow does not always take you out of the scene. I felt trapped a few times as if i was going around in circles.
Because of the illustration style and the murky light in the theatre, it is really hard to know where you are or where you have been.

I am not a huge adventure fan - I have replayed Syberia and Journey to the Center of the Earth, but others have languished or been deleted as taking too long to do very little. I am afraid this falls into that category.

It would be hard for me to recommend this game to anyone. Definite not buy on my list.

/

heidie0
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by heidie0 on Oct 10, 09 11:32 AM
Oh drats! I was so looking forward to a relaxing afternoon with a good game. This was a major letdown. I walked away more frustrated than anything else. Back and forth, up and down this dreary looking street is not my idea of fun. Frustrating doors that won't open and the most excitement I saw in 30 mins. was a skeleton giving me a movie ticket and an umbrella in a trash bin. I am very disappointed and unfortunately, deleted the game. Sorry BF, but will not be buying this one soon.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 10, 09 11:46 AM
After reading all the negative reviews, I won't even download the trial. I'm not into large file games, anyway. My daughter and her husband have World Of Warcraft, I think it's called which is a really large file game. I'm not the least bit interested in it and I don't understand why it is so popular. I much prefer the smaller games even though I have a lot of room because I can have more games that way.

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Post New]by elijah5 on Oct 10, 09 11:53 AM
tried playing this game but found it unbearable. will not be buying this one. i will wait for something better to come along.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 10, 09 12:22 PM
My daughter and her husband have World Of Warcraft, I think it's called which is a really large file game.

Actually, WoW is a MMORPG, which is different from an adventure game. MMORPGs involve a lot of people playing various roles within the game, and their actions determine the direction the game takes. LFAs are fairly linear and have certain things you do to get to do others. They are (mostly) one-player games.

I am a big fan of LFAs, and will try this one, though I didn't try the first. This one looks pretty creepy, and should offer at least a bit of fun.

For me, at least, the wandering and trying things is the charm of LFAs. I am not in a hurry to finish, and if it takes weeks (or months, as the Myst games always did), it is fine with me. If you want to start and finish in an afternoon, then LFAs are not for you. The journey IS the fun with them, LOL.

That said, they are not all created equal, of course, any more than any other game genre. But for me, at least, the dialog, the story, are important, and I like to enjoy them. Many times the story has clues within it that you will later need. I never play a LFA without a notebook and pencil, either.

As a hard-core LFA player, I will DL the demo and let you all know what I think a bit later...

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Oct 10, 09 12:59 PM
Guess I should have come here before downloading game. I'm dizzy from all the wondering around I did! Didn't appreciate you had to sit through all the credits 1st before even starting the game. If I would have to rely on a "walkthrough" for the whole game (which I have a feeling I would have to do), it's not worth buying.

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Oct 10, 09 1:21 PM
played this game for 15 minutes and threw it in the trash can where it belongs. What a horrible game Lots of walking around and listening to talking. What a waste. Im waiting for a good HOG.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Oct 10, 09 1:48 PM
Wendylosangeles,

Welcome to the fish pond. Just thought I'd let you know that I was able to skip the long section showing the credits by repeated clicking. I was also able to skip some unwanted dialogue sections by right-clicking my mouse.

But even with those helps, I agree with most of the other comments on this game demo. It is boring... zzzzzzzzzzz! Oh. Pardon me for dozing off!

I think I might have liked it a bit better if it hadn't been necessary to walk around so much without being able to access rooms/buildings, etc., before you were even able to get into the story.

Since you are new to the pond, let me recommend "Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst". Now, that's a challenging mystery game that should REALLY keep your interest!

Classicaljazz

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Oct 10, 09 2:20 PM
Hi There Classical Jazz. thanks very much for the welcome. I've been buying BF games for ages now, but with regard to the fishpond, I'm a "long time reader, first time poster" LOL

I actually played (and finished) Return to Ravenheart and LOVED it....

As for DSJ: Town with no name. hmmm. I enjoyed the first part (finding the umbrella) etc etc, but by the time I had finally found the key in the toilet I was literally dizzy with all the wandering around. Very frustrating to keep finding locked doors (personally would have preferred a red "x" on areas that cannot yet be accessed.) Given my tenacity, I will keep on with the game. I guess because I enjoyed the first one so much, the frustration of this one is a little disappointing...

that said, I love BFG, and the customer service (on the rare occasion I have had a problem) is absolutely OUTSTANDING !!

thanks again for the nice welcome !! Wendy

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Oct 10, 09 3:01 PM
I dunno. I may download and try it.

It seems to me that most off the negatives are the same as those in the first game and I really liked that one.

In the first one there were a lot of times I wanted to tape or take pictures but couldn't because the ghost or what ever was gone before I had control of my mouse again too, but I soon figured out that I didn't need to record that particular image etc. The scenes where it was necessary to photograph or record, you had control of the mouse (example, taking a pic of the baby doll beneath the chair and recording the maid's voice on the stairwell).

As for the dialogs, well for those who don't enjoy them, you should be able to skip them if you want, but simply having them doesn't make it a bad game. There are those of us who enjoy reading them. I would think an "Adventure" game that didn't have them to be lacking.

*shrugs* I may download it and find it disappointing, but maybe not.

[Post New]by Krakle on Oct 10, 09 3:02 PM
Just for the record: As there is now a walkthrough, I found my way through the entire demo, and still had 18 minutes to spare. The demo was enough to convince me that its way too lame to buy and continue.

paula331
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by paula331 on Oct 10, 09 3:55 PM
Poodlebear wrote:I thought the first one was terrible and from the sound of things nothings changed. I'm not going to bother with the demo.
I couldnt agree more!! Even if you make it a good way through, the game wont let you finish the full hour! it stopped me with 20 mins to spare!!! Come on.......... Paula

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Oct 10, 09 4:20 PM
well BFG I guess that's a no!

[Post New]by tokyo44 on Oct 10, 09 4:39 PM
OK what a waste! I downloaded the game and it would not even run. Then when I tried to close it, it just kept popping error codes. I had to end through task manager. I am glad it was just the free trial because if I purchased it I would have been really upset.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Oct 10, 09 4:46 PM
i actually agree with phatkhat. All the wandering and experimentation is part of the large file adventure experience - very, very different from interactive HOGs. I'm actually quite enjoying the demo.

Still have 20 minutes - saw the ghost in the service room, found the key in the toilet. I also (I think) found a bug. I used the key on the wrong door (since you cannot see the names it's easy to do) before trying the handle - it was the bathroom door LOL so it let me in but took my key away.

I will need to replay from the cash register to get my key back which will eat up my demo time. But I have not used the walkthrough yet so I feel I'm doing OK.

I may buy this. The story is intriguing and I like the voices.

I did NOT like have to sit through the credits before the game started.

For the record - I am pleased to have a demo available for a LFA since with my old PC I need to test a game before buying. I have NO problems with the demo being over either when the hour is up or you finish the demo chapter(s). Other fish still seem to be struggling with that.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Oct 10, 09 6:18 PM
Glad I read the reviews before attempting to download. Now I wont waste my time. Waiting for something else.

[Post New]by chefchar56 on Oct 10, 09 6:58 PM
very frustrating how to get the cash register combo how to get the key out of the toilet Gimme a break

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Oct 10, 09 7:35 PM
ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT! I hate that other game sites have better games coming out right now then BF. I dont want to buy from anyone else, but they leave me no choice! Sad so sad...I want it all here, is that too much to ask? lol

Go to: