KDlala
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Okay, I'm confused... (major spoiler alert)

[Post New]by KDlala on Nov 25, 15 12:05 AM
kilmeny21 wrote:
KDlala wrote: Yeah, you're right. I can't put my finger on why that particular inaccuracy bugs me so much more than the others XD

You are not the only ones, it's been bugging me too. Played the demo of "Ravenhearst Unlocked" today and it reminded me of how annoyed by it I was. I went searching to see if it bugged anyone else.

They aren't related by blood. I replayed Return to Ravenhearst in October, before Key came out, and the newspaper articles scatter around mention both Rose and her daughters have gone missing. Specifically one mentions "Rose Sommerset and her twin daughters Gwen and Charlotte Sommerset missing since August 6th. The three individuals were last seen the morn of Aug. 6 Approx. 7:15 am by Husband/Father Reginald Sommerset..." and " 'That man is a liar and cannot be trusted,' exclaimed Reginald Sommerset, husband and father to the missing parties." And yes I just replayed it again, so I could see the newspaper clippings.

I came up with a little story while bored at work that they were twin adult women who became obsessed with the whole Ravenhearst thing and decided to build a museum on the grounds when they found Victor and Charles's bodies. Alistair convinced them they were Gwen and Charlotte because A: he's sick like that and B: they were more useful that way. All completely implausible, of course, but I found it a lot more entertaining XD

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 25, 15 12:21 AM
I love all the explanations that people keep coming up with to explain all this.
It doubles the fun......but then, since starting to play these games, I realized that I needed to stretch my imagination to work around all kinds of implausible things.

Who needs a game world to make sense? I get enough of that dealing with the real world.

KDlala
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by KDlala on Nov 25, 15 9:04 AM
tookat wrote:I love all the explanations that people keep coming up with to explain all this.
It doubles the fun......but then, since starting to play these games, I realized that I needed to stretch my imagination to work around all kinds of implausible things.

Who needs a game world to make sense? I get enough of that dealing with the real world.

Oh, I'm just a real story and character person, personally. Obsessively so when it's a series a really like, if I'm honest. XD While I'm willing to give leeway to implausible story/character things considering the series has changed hands between companies, the plot twist with the twins in this game with no explanation whatsoever just nags at me. That's all But that's probably just me.

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Nov 25, 15 7:05 PM
KDlala wrote:
tookat wrote:I love all the explanations that people keep coming up with to explain all this.

Oh, I'm just a real story and character person, personally. Obsessively so when it's a series a really like, if I'm honest. XD While I'm willing to give leeway to implausible story/character things considering the series has changed hands between companies, the plot twist with the twins in this game with no explanation whatsoever just nags at me. That's all But that's probably just me.

It's not just you. I still haven't finished this game yet because it's really getting under my skin. As a writer and an English teacher (okay... not anymore, but I was for almost eight years), storylines and continuity are hugely important to me. It's one of the reasons I'm not as fond of Eipix as some others are--their graphics are nice, and their early games really did break new gaming grounds, but their stories often seem to have something missing as far as explanation or having sudden endings with no actual resolution of how we got to that conclusion. For me, a missing story link can completely ruin a game.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 25, 15 7:46 PM
Lol.....that explains it....BoomChuckPxyNiki......Artist here.
While I was in 'honors' English, and made good grades, I found myself drawn to things like the unconstructed poets and the Theater of the Absurd....
and when It came time to discover myself as an artist (25 yrs worth of teaching there)....the best I could describe myself was as a surrealist.....but, not one who painted the hyper-reality of the sorts we see in games now. Frankly, I am still amazed I made it through grad school and the writing of a thesis as well as the thesis show, which was easy to provide. Oh, the howls in the printmaking department when we were told we would not be allowed to submit poetry for our thesis as the old department god had allowed. I still have nightmares of not being able to give birth to that all important paper. Shudder.

As you can see, grammar and the proper use of it, mean little to me, and I have grown used to making people crazy with my lack of it.

On one level, the discrepancies in the stories do bother me.....it is easy enough to play the previous games and to accommodate the story as it has been carried off so far.....and it is either laziness or a lack of care to not have continuity.....or a well written ending and denouement......but, having accepted that the game worlds do not behave with the logic of the real world.....I am willing to accept a certain amount of inconsistency.....especially since they do not listen to Us, and keep shuffling the games around to different Devs.....although, I understand, that is sometimes the decision of the original Dev to go into a different kind of programming.

I am happy just to have their creative efforts to amuse my days, now that I am living in my bed and cannot get outside to interact with the real world as much as I used to.

Go to: