j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by j62janet on Nov 16, 15 12:42 AM
Loridobs I agree with you, it was to short, and to ask that amount of money is criminal, I'm glad I got it in a sale, BFG you are rather naughty asking that amount of money for a game that is far to short, I won't be doing a review on the games page, because I won't be allowed to say that, even though it's the truth!!!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 16, 15 5:24 AM
Bravo, ERS. This was one of your best games. Not too short for me, and the bonus chapter had a nice length as well.

Loved the old-fashioned scenes, the nicely done HOS and puzzles, and the way the story played.

Hope to see more of the same.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 16, 15 7:13 AM
loridobs wrote:Very short game. Don't think it is has the value of a true CE.

I agree. In fact, my mouth dropped open when the main game ended.
I wish there was a way to determine how long a CE is before investing in it.
Luckily, I bought this using this past weekend's bargain rate, but I still feel gipped.
on the game but BIG on the length.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Nov 17, 15 12:25 PM
Purchased without thinking because I like the series, but, this one stinks. The gimmicks are annoying, and sometimes without any logical explanation. The story line is confusing, and the whole thing makes little sense. I should know better after all these years, but Dupin sucked me in. Shows what can happen when one is taken in by a pretty face. Bad, bad game. Excuse me while I go and kick myself for buying it.

Edit to add after finishing the main game and the bonus game: This may not have been the worse game I've ever played, but it came close. The ending to the main game made no sense at all, and the bonus didn't clear things up. It was a waste of time and money.

Edited on 11/18/2015 at 8:48:10 AM PST

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Nov 19, 15 9:57 PM
I've been a fan of this series ever since I was a beta tester for Premature Burial, which remains my favorite to this day. So I bought this one, as I've bought most of them, without doing the demo.

As I said to my husband, I'm so glad I got it for a reduced price with the Dark Parables sale that's currently going on, because if I'd paid full price, I would be complaining. This game is short, confusing, and has the most unclear ending of any game I've ever played. There were also many puzzles that I genuinely did not enjoy, particularly the ones where you had to guess the correct sequence of moves to beat up the person trying to attack you.

This is my second favorite PC game series (after the Dark Parables), but this latest installment was a tremendous disappointment.

Edited on 11/19/2015 at 9:57:46 PM PST

[Post New]by greengrassyhill on Nov 21, 15 12:49 PM
What a bummer! I paid full price for this turkey, was not really enjoying it, but was slogging on until I got to the door of the BREEZE Hotel. I could not, for the life of me, figure out the gimmicky knock on the door. No Skip on this hot mess either. Hint button was worthless! Strategy guide was a complete zero help. I am going to delete this really poor game, and replay Lost Lands #3. Save your money on this one folks, or at least do the demo first before wasting your money like I did!

[Post New]by fritzfan85 on Nov 22, 15 5:47 PM
Very short game. Don't think it is has the value of a CE. Glad I got a deal on it... I don't complain about BF much but thought I should this time.

[Post New]by dougjameshughes on Nov 25, 15 11:14 AM
There are few games that I have downloaded over the years, as a loyal customer of Big Fish Games, that I have been disappointed with. I have recently loaded onto my NEW Toshiba laptop the above game and it has frozen so many times I have lost patience with it. In addition, ERS have created a ridiculously simple game that comes with warnings implying a great game but the graphics, the gameplay, the audio and interactive puzzles are naïve and pathetic.

CLOSING MY ACCOUNT!!!!!

[Post New]by DeeSmith0883 on Dec 5, 15 3:22 PM
Stinky....don't waste your money or credits on this one. Easy, way too short and very uninteresting although it seems, at first, like it might be. Boring...... and not very complex for a CE..... very disappointed.

Edited on 12/05/2015 at 3:22:45 PM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 10, 15 11:28 PM
RATING:

The Dark Tales series is one of my favourites of all time, so I get excited whenever I see a new release. I was concerned when I saw all the negative reviews, and now, having played it, I understand why. This game had such high potential, but was so poorly executed.

The story was the best part of the game, but even that lacked good execution. There was a warning about disturbing scenes and violence, and I wasn't disappointed with the opening. It was well crafted, gripping, and made me want more. From there, the story slowed down a bit to the point where it got a little boring. It just crawled along at a steady pace with not many twists and turns and got a little predictable. The supposed "cliffhanger" to end the demo with was also executed quite poorly, and was not in the least exciting. I feel like a lot more could and should have been done with it. A wonderful opening soon turned into a lackluster affair. I feel this story could get good as the game progresses, but I'm not willing to take that chance.

The gameplay was an absolute nightmare. It just seemed to be one HOS or puzzle after another with very little in between. For a so-called "adventure" game, there was very little adventuring to do, maybe a max of two or three things to do per scene, which is nowhere near enough. The HOS and Puzzles were absolutely everywhere, were incredibly easy, and just got very boring very fast, and the one puzzle that wasn't easy was just confusing. I found the gameplay was quite basic, too, with very straightforward tasks that required little to no thinking, and minimal special features (only one being + objects) and even they got annoying. I had to visit my little box several times throughout the demo, and in the end, just got annoyed with it. As with the story, I feel like the gameplay had a lot more potential. I would safely say that this game was completely ruined by poor execution of gameplay, and that is such a shame.

The graphics were the standard for ERS- beautifully drawn with a sense of antiquity about them. Lovely character designs, visually appealing, realistic scenes. Very nice.
Unfortunately, the voice overs weren't so nice. They were over-acted, with Dupin's especially being dragged out and annoying. I wasn't impressed with the voice-overs at all.
To sum it up, this game is just one giant load of wasted potential. It had a promising storyline, but was ruined by poor execution. This game is a bad mark on the series.

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Dec 12, 15 5:55 PM
This game was much too short to be a CE. Not worth the money paid. I also don't like any of the games that won't let you go back to complete your collections. Very frustrating.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 20, 15 7:21 AM
I love the Dark Tales EAP series and have them all, but this game seemed like a rushed put together game for the holidays for the many gamers, like me, who like the series and will buy it sight unseen.

The storyline was good and I thought I figured out the outcome, until I played the bonus round and then the ending and the game made no sense. I still don’t know “whodunit”!

The game had such great potential. However, it was a short gimmicky mishmash game with lots of fillers and extremely difficult puzzles. There were many puzzles I did not enjoy and the SG did not help in too many instances, like at the mailbox, where I was stuck for a long time because if you did not place the item “exactly”, it did not work. This happened in a number of scenes. Also there are too few scenes in this game. Even the graphics, while good in some places, were terrible in so many others.

I did not care for the over the top graphics of the opening scene, and to show private body parts was really unnecessary, and irrelevant to the case. I think these were just asides done to shock the senses.

The credits continually played in a never ending loop. I looked at them because I thought it was one of the achievements and it was not. The achievements were very few. I would rate this game as .

nettcas
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by nettcas on Jan 7, 16 10:37 AM
I bought the standard version of this game - but having played it a few times (because I couldn't grasp the point!) what is the meaning of the ending?? Please can someone tell me why Dupin stares at me and says "What have you done?" ?

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by sly8ball on Jan 28, 16 11:59 AM
I usually buy the game after playing the trial for about a half hour and did just that on this game. Was very disappointed that the amount of time to play took approximately two hours. Not the normal for the Dark Tales series.

Edited on 01/28/2016 at 12:01:40 PM PST

Go to: