Screen Flicker?

Re:Screen Flicker?

[Post New]by lucygoose27 on Dec 18, 09 6:45 AM
For those who can't get past the flickering BFG screen, yesterday I received a tip that worked for me from Tommy in BFG Technical Assistance . Try manually changing your display setting to 1024 x 768, then start the game. Tommy said that's the aspect ratio that many games use. I've only played about 30 min. of the game(pesky Christmas stuff keeps getting in the way of my game-playing ), but so far it's running perfectly. Of course, every time I close the game I'll have to change my display back to my everyday setting, but that's a small price to pay to be able to play the game.

I had the same problem several months ago with Return to Mysterious Island 2, but the BFG tech didn't suggest any fixes to try, just gave me a credit. I may give that game another try to see if this fixes that game's problem, too.

BTW, I have Vista 32-bit OS and NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics with updated drivers.

I hope this helps some of you. And thanks, Tommy, for fixing the game!

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Dec 28, 09 4:25 PM
I just installed The Secrets of Da Vinci and I have the same flicker problems!
1) I can see the text flicker.
2) Sometimes I can see a noticeable offset double image.
3) When a scene is playing it looks like the older frames are sometimes overlapping the newer frames and there is a visual jitter. It's confusing to watch.
4) Whenever I move around in a scene I see an offset double image which is only present as I am moving.
THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT GOOD!!!
I have two Windows 7 computers, one a P4 32 bit and the other a new high end i7 64 bit system. Both behave identically when I run the game! None of the advice on how to supposedly remedy the problem works.
I've installed over 2 dozen games under Windows 7 and this is the first to misbehave like this. (The latest Dire Grove worked perfectly)
THIS GAME HAS A DEFINITE REPRODUCIBLE PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 7!!!
The developers MUST address and FIX this problem. BFG needs to get on them!! These ad hoc fixes are mostly a waste of time and just frustrates the user. Not good for business.

lw2016
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by lw2016 on Dec 31, 09 7:24 AM
I just wanted to start this game and I have the same problem with the screen flicker.
I cannot belive that BFG has still not come up with a solution. The problem has been going on for some time now.
How can we force BFG to help their customers?

By the way, I just noticed that changing the display setting to 1024 x 768 does not help at all.

Edited on 12/31/2009 at 7:27:36 AM PST

dcubed
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by dcubed on Jan 2, 10 7:08 AM
Oh, I was excited to see a potential fix, with the 1024x768 manual adjustment. But, unfortunately, it didn't work for me .

I do want to play this game very much, and hope that something works at some point.

[Post New]by birdiegirl44 on Jan 7, 10 3:06 PM
i too was hopefull the tips here would help, but alas, they did not
i did the windows update. still flickers
i changed the setting to 1024 x 768. still flickers.
will try to see if i have a graphics updated driver but am not hopeful
sigh, i wanted to play this game after waiting all this time to.

next wil be to ask for credit and try another game.

vista, geforce 7300

thanks

dcubed
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by dcubed on Jan 8, 10 6:13 AM
I did write to Kheops and this is their reply:

Hello,

Sorry for this problem.

Nvidia changed something in their drivers since june/july that makes our
games flickers on some nvidia cards. Bigfish should have a patch for this
problem for RTMI2 since we provided a modification that bypass the problem
to the publisher. The publisher should have given the patch to bigfish so
that they could include their DRM in it and make it available for its
customers.

For Devinci there's no patch at the moment, because we hope nvidia will
restore the good behavior of its driver in a future release. Neithertheless,
you can download and install a former version of the drivers (January 2009
works perfectly) to run all our games without problem.

Hope this will help.

Best regards and happy new year.

Kheops Studio

I tried to install the Jan 2009 drivers, but it said it was not compatible with my hardware. It looks like I'm stuck waiting for nVidia to fix their driver. On the plus side, many gamers are having trouble with the latest drivers, not just casual/adventure gamers.

[Post New]by madbird on Jan 12, 10 2:25 AM
I too am having the same problem. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS with all updated drivers and Vista but all I get when I start the game is the BigFish title screen, then as it tries to fade it flickers and hangs.

I did try the resolution change manually but it did not work for me.

I can't truely believe that it is the graphics cards problem as I play World of Warcraft on this computer which is far more demanding on the graphics than this one.

Oh well - I will ask for a credit and play another game.

Cheers

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 12, 10 2:30 AM
This has been solved now, and it's the latest nvidia drivers that are the problem.
A recent change has introduced a conflict with the way Kheops games work, even older ones like Dracula 3.

The temporary fix is to install version 186.20 from the nvidia driver archives. nvidia are working with Kheops on a permanent fix to their drivers, but that won't show until a later release.

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Jan 17, 10 2:30 PM
I thought it was Windows 7 but apparently it is not. I have two computers both with a nVIDIA graphics card. A GeForce GTX 275 and a GeForce 8600 GTS.

Strange that my 20 plus other games work flawlessly with these video cards and their drivers but Kheops Studio blames nVIDIA and they "hope nvidia will restore the good behavior of its driver in a future release".

I'm not about to re-install an old driver just to play one game. That is not a worthwhile option. I'll wait. From what I've read the game has some quirky play behavior anyway.

So far I haven't had any problems with Windows 7 playing the other games I bought. Plenty of other FISH in the sea to play

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 17, 10 3:06 PM
Kheops Studio blames nVIDIA and they "hope nvidia will restore the good behavior of its driver in a future release".

Blame doesn't apply here. nvidia changed their driver mechanics. They're already working on a fix.

Edited on 07/23/2010 at 5:25:36 AM PST

dcubed
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by dcubed on Jan 19, 10 10:01 AM
ZedTBear. the latest nVidia driver is also having trouble with other games - separate from Kheops. On the nVidia forums, several action gamers were also complaining that their high powered action games, like Crysis, were not working with 195.62.

I have access to the next nVidia driver beta but it will not install for me. I'm supposed to be in a Tier 2 nVidia support level but I have not heard from them.

The old driver (186.20) not only fixed the Kheops games, but also Memory Access Violations from the match 3 game Season Match 2. It had gotten so bad that I simply could not play it at all, it would crash after loading.

I am hopeful that the new driver from nVidia will work for all the games - as soon as I can get the darn thing to install (it says the driver is not a valid Win32 application).

ZedTBear
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ZedTBear on Feb 11, 10 4:56 PM
Still no patch?
Installing an old nVidia driver is not an option for me. ALL of my other games, 34 from BigFish, run perfectly with my current driver.

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Jul 23, 10 5:18 AM
This is what Keops Studio says about the flickering screen problem on their technical site.
Product Support
Category: General
Issue: The screen flickers during the game
Solution: This problem might happen with DirectX 9 and can be solved by disabling the anti-aliasing option of your graphic card.

I have windows Vista and nForce/GeForce card.
Just right click your desktop and chose NVIDIA controlpanel, 3D-adjustments,use advanced 3D-adjustments,open this site,and disable anti-aliasing

[Post New]by Florin9doi on Aug 22, 10 9:51 PM
use bFullScreen=0 in config.ini

Spljushka
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Spljushka on Aug 28, 10 8:47 AM
bFullScreen=0 in config.ini

Thanks, it worked for me (Win Vista, NVidia GeForce GE 9300, driver 258.96). It's a pitty, I did not know this playing Nostradamus :0))).

[Post New]by flounderingfish on Oct 25, 10 7:38 PM
had the problem with columbus ghost of the mystery stone.....was told to open game manager under administrator. the game worked fine......now i am trying to play mystery legend phantom of the opera and have tried everything.....nothing works

Screen Flicker?

[Post New]by Rayella on Jan 10, 11 10:27 AM
jaroch wrote:I've searched online for a solution and tried all the usual fixes, but this one is stumping me. Any movement or subtitles on the screen causes an extreme flicker, almost like a slow refresh. I tried changing the settings on my graphics card (GEForce 9500GT) to disable the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering but nothing seems to work. I've downloaded hundreds of games from BFG and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Or, more importantly, found a fix?

[Post New]by Rayella on Jan 10, 11 10:33 AM
The game won't play correctly using an Nvidia card using the latest drivers. I pulled my nvidia card and used the video on my Asus motherboard using the latest chipset drivers for the Asus motherboard and the game played just fine with out changing the resolution each time. The game doesn't like the latest video drivers out there.

Hope this helps.

[Post New]by kord65 on Jan 30, 11 6:44 PM
Got the same problem but found a temp soloution in the game folder there is a folder call "Properties" in there there is a file "partner.xml", I hope it allowed on the forum but I edit the line "<Boolean id="DefaultWindowed">false</Boolean>" to "<Boolean id="DefaultWindowed">ture</Boolean>" the game start's with an error but soon passes it and the game starts and works, once it's in window mode. Hope this helps because it's a great game.

good show!

[Post New]by vijayib4u on May 16, 11 9:56 AM
I have a Solution......Just follow the procedure.....

1.Go to the root folder (where the game is installed).
2.Right click on the .exe file and click on "properties".
3.Go to "Compatibility" tab.
4.Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode" box.
5.Choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" in the drop down menu.
6.Under Settings Check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" box.

NOTE: Step 4 & 5 are only for windows vista and windows 7 users.

Now the game should be working fine....At least, it worked fine on my PC.....
Good Luck....!!!

Go to: