asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

Re:This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Oct 27, 09 2:25 PM
I've gone through the demo and intend to buy the game. Sure, the main character was abducted but no harm has come to her since then. I've seen no violence. She's solving puzzles, for heaven's sake! How scary can that be?

While I'd not wish anyone to be abducted including myself I'm relishing the fantasy of the storyline and I am NOT a horror movie fan AT ALL! I consider myself to be quite sensitive actually.

So I guess I'm saying count me in the "not offended column" and I would not like to see this type of game banned from the site.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Oct 27, 09 2:30 PM
I'm gonna play the demo. I would not have paid this game any attention if I had not seen "This Game Is Extremely Offensive!"..LOL. Sinking Island got a few ,so needless to say, I bought it out of curiosity ( great game btw). Ok...I'm off to play the demo!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 27, 09 2:44 PM
Misty40 wrote:I'm gonna play the demo. I would not have paid this game any attention if I had not seen "This Game Is Extremely Offensive!"..LOL. Sinking Island got a few ,so needless to say, I bought it out of curiosity ( great game btw). Ok...I'm off to play the demo!

Enjoy!!!!

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 27, 09 3:05 PM
I agree with aseirrahiker on this. This is just a game and I think it is very good. I select my games to my liking and not to someone else's opinion. I think Big Fish is great to offer us such a different set of games. There are games to everyone's liking. I love this site and hope you keep up the selections like you are. I'm sorry anyone is offended with some of these games but that is why you have a choice to play, buy or whatever. Just my opinion.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

bbelle

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Oct 27, 09 3:13 PM
I played and it found it most enjoyable. Couple of points--her name is HelenE not Helen. Why add the E at the end and not use it? Could have done without the "bad guy" repeating himself. Was it too hard to come up with new ways of saying "OMGosh, you solved another puzzle"

With all that out of the way...I think this is a lot like the SAW movies. I have not seen them, but based on what I have heard and commericials I have seen this is close. A bad guy "watching" to see what a "victim" (and HelenE is not a victim, she takes care of herself) and then rigging the place so the "victim" can solve puzzles. I am sure there are people who have seen SAW and will tell me I am way off base (sorry), but again based on what I have heard and read this is similar.

Happy Halloween!
Blessings,
LucyMarie

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 27, 09 3:19 PM
Nope, LucyMarie, you are not way off base. This is very like Saw, but with no gore and far less blood.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Oct 27, 09 3:24 PM
Oh heck, it's like Dangerous High School Girls all over again!

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Oct 27, 09 3:28 PM
This is how BFG learns what's going to fly with their clientele and what isn't, so I'll put my vote in for the game, I didn't find it offensive.

As far as censorship goes, of course there's censorship and I doubt very much if there are truly many people here who wouldn't ask for the removal of a game that went beyond their own personal limits.

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Oct 27, 09 3:45 PM
Most HOG's I play, I rarely listen/read the story line.....I guess I just like the gaming part of the HOGs. Usually I can skip the dialogue but can't do it in this game. I don't particularly like the "ghoulish" kidnapper's voice so this is an unfortunate (for me) aspect of the game..

I'll play the rest of the few minutes left in the demo, but hightly doubl this is a keeper... not because I don't like the object search, but because of the dialogue.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Oct 27, 09 3:56 PM
To each his own taste. No one is forcing you to play it, and the only way to play it, is to download it, and if you downloaded it, and are playing it, what do you have to complain about ?

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Oct 27, 09 4:00 PM
This game is not offensive. Those offended by this game should not play it or not allow their kids to play it. I agree with the others who have said that this smacks of censorship and I, personally, don't want that; I consider myself to be relatively intelligent and can choose for myself.

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Oct 27, 09 4:10 PM
I hate censorship as well, to a point. Obviously some things do need to be censored. Everyone will disagree as to how far it should go. Many people were extremely angry about the baby-shaking game being taken off the market, for example, and had presented valid reasons why it should have remained available.

Actually, I'm not offended by this game. I simply don't like the subject matter (I'm more into fantasy) and can easily see how some will find it distasteful. I'm more offended by the "I'm right and you're wrong" stance some people like to take, or appeared to take, at least.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the meaningfulness of games . Games are just that. And to avoid hijacking this thread, I'll leave it at that.

Kalavinka wrote:

Also, not meaning to change the subject or anything, but games can have a lot in common with both books and movies. A good game in which you work through a plot by solving puzzles can be as satisfying as a good book or movie, imo. There is no need to imply that games are somehow less than these other media but rather games are just another expression of popular culture. Indeed, game makers who do not think this way-- who simply adhere to the mindless old formulas-- tend to make really boring and forgettable games. Syberias I and II and Drawn come to mind as being games that really push the boundaries of the media, alluding to what games will become in the future. This is just my opinion, but I think that there is a lot of cultural potential in games (which is why people have such strong feelings about them).

Also, please do not think that I would ever approve of baby shaking-- to me, this implication was offensice. Of course, I would find such a game distasteful.

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Oct 27, 09 4:21 PM
HighlandMax wrote:To each his own taste. No one is forcing you to play it, and the only way to play it, is to download it, and if you downloaded it, and are playing it, what do you have to complain about ?

Hihi. I'm not sure what your point is?

If people complain about it without playing it first, then that would be a problem, because they wouldn't know what they were complaining about. Their arguments would be based on nothing.

If they've played it, they've got every right to have and state their opinion on it. Doesn't mean they're going to keep playing it, or buy it.

The forum moderator already stated that all opinions are welcome. So lets welcome them! =)

scarletrose
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by scarletrose on Oct 27, 09 5:36 PM
I happen to like this game. Tho his repeat comments got to be a bit dry after awhile. This is a keeper. It reminded me of the escape from the museum game. Loved that one to.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 27, 09 5:51 PM
Vicalani on page 1 was right. It was quite laughable in some ways really. I read so much about the game, I did not know what to expect. But the voice over is almost comedic and even some of his lines are sooo corny. I personally am enjoying the game.
You can only play so many egyptian artifact games. But even more I agree with the right to choose!

It is like a Halloween B movie and I love it!

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Oct 27, 09 5:55 PM
sassylassie wrote:I would like to add something to my post. Please then DO NOT play the Silent Hill series. Killing zombie nurses in the hospital, werewolves on the outside. That one I had to quit. That one I had to wear a seat belt for jumping out of the darn chair so much. Gruesome! Heart failure a 100 times over on that one. Seeing the screenshots from this game kind of remind me of it.

Sassy

Ummmmmm hmmmm Please do play the silent hill series.. Its awsome.. But you're
are not really playing It.. If you not playing it on a 55 inch screen TV.. hee hee

and yes I wet my pants a couple of times.. Oh and yes broke my xbox.. got the
crap scared out of me.. I dropped a can of coke on It.. But Its a goooood game.

[Post New]by momof2wldboyz83 on Oct 27, 09 6:28 PM
LucyMarie wrote:
With all that out of the way...I think this is a lot like the SAW movies. I have not seen them, but based on what I have heard and commericials I have seen this is close. A bad guy "watching" to see what a "victim" (and HelenE is not a victim, she takes care of herself) and then rigging the place so the "victim" can solve puzzles. I am sure there are people who have seen SAW and will tell me I am way off base (sorry), but again based on what I have heard and read this is similar.

kishimojun wrote:Nope, LucyMarie, you are not way off base. This is very like Saw, but with no gore and far less blood.

When I saw the screen shots and read the description that's the first thing I thought of so was wondering if it was like SAW. Thanks for answering my question Lucy & Kish!

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Oct 27, 09 6:29 PM
"I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site"

Other than the fact that this game was too much of a "Saw" wannabe, I didn't actually find the subject matter that shocking or disturbing. The content is more implied than actual, which is actually a nice change of pace (from movies like "Saw"), isn't it?

However, Tinor (?), I gather you are distressed by the implied violence against a woman/ serial killer/ slasher content, correct? If this is so, can I ask if one of your objections is to the fact that gratuitous violence in movies, books, and video games is objectionable to you because it desensitizes people to violence and may possibly make people less caring when they see real violence? Or that it may actually encourage people to engage in real violence?

Without getting into the empirical studies on this topic, I would like to offer up one counter-opinion. There is one possible positive reason for many people (including myself) to actually enjoy these games and movies that are filled with gratuitous violence and implied evil intentions. It's stuff like this that can distract people from their own problems and horrible experiences. They can watch something like "Saw" or play a game like this and what the character experiences is so beyond anything they have personally experienced (hopefully), that it puts their problems in perspective. Sort of a monster under the bed perspective. The bogeyman that we tell ghost stories about or see in movies or games or read about in books is always much scarier than what goes on in our lives, and it makes people see the stuff in their lives as less scary. Does that make sense?

While I'm sure my post won't move you to change your opinion about the game, does it perhaps at least help you to understand why others might enjoy games like this?

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 6:52:04 PM PST

[Post New]by MemorableMovies on Oct 27, 09 6:40 PM
I agree with you Kithian. I just finished this game and there is nothing scary, shocking or offensive in it at all. The only thing I found was that the end was a little weak but it was a good game. This is much ado about nothing.

SKYEBLUETOO
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by SKYEBLUETOO on Oct 28, 09 1:50 AM
Yeah --- Who's Bella ?? LOL

I didn't find this game "offensive" but very disturbing !! Kind of made me sick to my stomach. The idea of a man "snatching" a woman and then watching her try to attain her freedom while making snide remarks is in the "sicko" department to me. Sure won't buy it.

I don't believe it should be taken off this site, but everyone to their own.

Go to: