kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Hidden Magic comments and reviews

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 31, 09 2:51 PM
I rarely try "tomorrow's game" until it has been played and reviewed by the folks whose advice and opinion I have come to respect. Yep, Poodlebear and Sillyfeet top that list!
But to fill out my Octoberfest quota, I jumped in early on this one. I like it. It's not spooky, not stressful, and not dark. It is as much of a challenge as you choose to make it, with 3 levels of difficulty. Me personally, I like to play for relaxation, enjoying the artwork and whatever challenges the game designers offer up.
This game is decidedly different than a junkpile hog and not as difficult as an adventure game where one can wander aimlessly and have to consult the walkthroughs for each step.
I agree with other reviewers that the battles can be a little stressful, but really, since the rest of the game is pretty mellow, shouldn't something up our bloodpressure just a little bit??
No technical difficulties, beautiful artwork, and options for choosing the stress level are what made this a buy for me.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Oct 31, 09 2:55 PM
I wasn't too impressed with this one. For one thing, I don't care for the fighting parts and also the game continued to run rather slowly, even though I changed the cursor in options. The graphics are good and the music is nice but, overall, this isn't a game I'm drawn to.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 31, 09 4:08 PM
Just finished the demo and liked it quite a bit. It was very creative and engaging. I even liked the soundtrack, which is unusual for me. Definitely a thumbs up on this one.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 31, 09 5:33 PM
Perhaps, for some of us, this games might have just too much going on

Exactly....it's like the creative team dived into a vat of sugar, got wired, & couldn't stop throwing things into this.

"Dude, let's see how many game concepts we can cram into just one!"

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Nov 1, 09 12:51 AM
It seems you either love or hate this game, personally I love it, quite a different twist on the traditional IHOG & HOG. Great graphics, nice music - not too intrusive. Have finished the "Normal" mode, will try the more difficult level. Thanks really loved this one

[Post New]by armypride on Nov 1, 09 1:01 AM
this is a very good thing the only thing im havin probs with is that sometimes when i do battle all the stuff that i need is not showin so i will try this again

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Nov 1, 09 8:27 AM
BOY O BOY that was a FAST hour!

I liked this game ALOT-had to do some mixing up, some IHOG, Some silly spell casting & in a relaxed easy mode or Timed it was very replayable (as far as the "battle" scenes were)

Comic like graphics, but we can't all have RTR on every game.

DH said he would have liked to try it, but I ate up the hour & got to level 12 (?)
wasn't really paying attention to what level it was. Went easy & relaxing & per

Walkthorough it has many levels. Probably 3-4 AM'S over coffee in the before work.

I WOULD TURN OFF THE CUSTOM CURSER & TUTE TO GET IT WORK WELL THO

IMHO, good game & relaxing & nice different yet same quality

I would rate as a definate buy AT 1/ OF

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Nov 1, 09 11:31 AM
I didn't love it like everyone else, but it was cute.I didn't like that you can't save it at any point you want and I hate that you can't cut past the cartoon. Not for me.
With all the games that are around it's got to be great for me to spend money on. I love to play games so much that if I'm not careful I will have used $700.

MollyMeow
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by MollyMeow on Nov 1, 09 12:45 PM
Wow! Hesitant to buy, but went ahead and got it. Can't give you exact play time, but well over 4 hours, and I'm usually fairly quick. Started out pretty easy, but got more and more challenging as time went on. Battles can get pretty intense, meaning you have to search quick, or run out of time. You don't get penalized if you run out of time (or mad-click); you simply start the 'battle' (meaning, find enough items before you are defeated by your enemy) again. Once all 48 levels are completed, a more challenging level of play unlocks, as does the mini games and battles, all can be played as stand alones. Also, game score came up at the end....I haven't check to see if the scores are saved, but venture to say they are. All in all, this is a fun, very different, and somewhat challenging, innovative game. Kudos to the creators for thinking outside the box!

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Nov 2, 09 3:45 PM
Like the game but very frustrated with what may be missing items in battle. I too never found an acorn, nor several other items. Eventually all three available spells needed something that (probably) wasn't there, so I "died". Worse, when I died, i got a "game over" screen in which there were no buttons or actions I could find. Eventually I just typed Alt-F4 which indeed quit the game, but the options described in the screen simply weren't available. I suppose this could have been a compatibility issue, I run Windows Vista Home Premium x64. Whatever the issue, I am hoping that an update will become available to correct what appear to me to be bugs.

Of course, all these troubles arose only after I had bought the game...

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Nov 2, 09 5:15 PM
Susu2 wrote:I think it's an ok game but is running very sluggish on my xp 64 bit computer, any ideas how to fix this? Don't think I will buy if I can't solve this problem

Susu me 2~~!! i LIKED this game but the movements were so sluggish and jerky it really detracted from the game play. It's a nice long game, and I enjoyed it for the most part. My complaints besides the slow movement is that the hidden objects are so hidden in some cases you have to click all over the screen and hope for the best since they are in the dark. Good thing the hint button refreshes so fast, I was really using it!!
I want to try it in Adventure mode but now my wrist is so sore from all the clicking and battles, (BTW, did anyone ever find an acorn? I didn't!) I need to rest!
If anyone knows how to make this game run more smoothly please send me a post in my little mail box............thanks to all!

Gailfriend

[Post New]by patriciablake on Nov 3, 09 6:45 AM
Love this game! Not boring at all as there are a mixture of games to play. To Zorrogumbo -- look for all the items! Items change and may disappear and if you waste time you will be attacked. No pressure in this game but some challenge in the attack part, which is good.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Nov 3, 09 8:11 PM
Although I'm not sure if I'll buy right now as there are so many games I still want even after taking advantage of the October special, I have to give credit to the creators for such a unique game. Lots to do and you could tell that it was going to get more difficult than the demo allowed time for.

[Post New]by windmoonrain on Nov 4, 09 9:58 AM
This game held me hostage for 11 minutes, I couldn't go forward, I couldn't go back and I couldn't skip opening graphics. By the time I was able to play the game I found one object and was so aggravated I tried to get to the menu where again I had to wait until the directions to finish playing through. I would have preferred the option skip the opening. But as they didn't give that option I was stuck. I wanted so much to like this game as I had read the reviews, however I won't be finding out very soon, as it said my progress would be deleted and I fear I will have to sit through the opening once again.

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Nov 6, 09 9:23 AM
I just played the demo of this game and loved it! I love finding pieces of the objects to put them together. Even the battles were fun! I was a little bit leary when I saw it said battles, but you just find hidden objects to make your potion so even that is fun.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 6, 09 4:28 PM
I liked this game, but I got tired at half way of the adventure to cast spells over and over, and to solve the same type of puzzles in each level. But the game is worth to play for those who like repeat skill's challenges!!

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 4:31:04 PM PST

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Nov 6, 09 7:56 PM
windmoonrain wrote: I couldn't skip opening graphics.

Just hitting ESC worked for me. I did not try it the first time I opened the game but I did on a couple of subsequent ones and it shut down the intro and went right to the menu.

flyerstar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flyerstar on Nov 7, 09 7:51 AM
I am sorry that I used my credit on this game I found it very repetitous. This is most unusual I usually enjoy all the games I purchase.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Nov 7, 09 12:51 PM
What I liked about this game many of you have already pointed out so I'll be brief and say a was a refreshing change. I didn't mind the fight scenes except it seemed every critter was vunerable to fire spells but you only have one and it rarely becomes available, now mind you I only did the demo and had only 3 pages of spells, but still. I hope to see more games from this company, hopefully with a few improvements, currently I'm not interested in purchasing but ya never know I just broke down and got Zombie Bowlerama which is so much fun.
/5

[Post New]by Jessieb79 on Nov 8, 09 9:43 PM
Most of what I would say has already been said, so I'll be quick.

I loved this game. The graphics were very pretty, and I liked the variety.

The game also avoided some of the annoyances I get from a lot of Big Fish games. It automatically saves after every level, so when it froze (all BF games freeze eventually on my computer) I didn't have to start over.

Go to: