Re:Comments and reviews 1912: Titanic Mystery

[Post New]by FrankMorgan on Nov 1, 09 2:40 PM
Too much conversation. Boring game. Sorry BF.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Nov 1, 09 2:41 PM
Originally, based on screen shots, I wasn't even going to demo this one, but what the heck, I did anyway.

Mostly I am left puzzled - not by game play which is extremely easy, but by the fact that the developers put sooo much effort into exceptional background art based o0n the real Titanic, interesting story, lots of mini-games (albeit quite simple) even sound track, but when it came to the "hidden objects" they seemed to just take a virtual handful and chuck 'em at the scene. for me this is a game killer. All that work put in to immerse the player is lost when a floating, badly edged, bowler hat is in plain sight on a wall. Not to mention the banana, t.v., frying pan... Junk pile hidden object games, imo, can work in settings that make sense for them, like haunted derelict houses or city alley ways, but not brightly lit luxury ocean liners. OR they can work by just sheer number of objects piled up were all attempt at the objects existing in reality is abandoned, like the Mystery P.I. series. But neither is true of 1912 - Titanic Mystery.

So a sad bottom line for me, I'm afraid. Tons of good work to make a pretty game with an interesting story fell well short by scrimping on any effort in the most important component of a Hidden Object game - challenge at finding the objects.

<-------down for game killing worst hiding of objects ever and up for graphics and story.

bast
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by bast on Nov 1, 09 2:43 PM
hdonah wrote:I can seem to play this game
I make it thru the first board to the bomb message >>>then the game just stops and wont carry on
is anyone else having this problem??

Edited on 11/01/2009 at 2:44:55 PM PST

heidie0
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by heidie0 on Nov 1, 09 3:15 PM
Big download issues! I have tried repeatedly to download the trial version, but it gets as far as downloading it then starts all over again every time. Bummer, really wanted to try this one tonight

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Nov 1, 09 5:32 PM
Poodlebear wrote:Originally, based on screen shots, I wasn't even going to demo this one, but what the heck, I did anyway.

Mostly I am left puzzled - not by game play which is extremely easy, but by the fact that the developers put sooo much effort into exceptional background art based o0n the real Titanic, interesting story, lots of mini-games (albeit quite simple) even sound track, but when it came to the "hidden objects" they seemed to just take a virtual handful and chuck 'em at the scene. for me this is a game killer. All that work put in to immerse the player is lost when a floating, badly edged, bowler hat is in plain sight on a wall. Not to mention the banana, t.v., frying pan... Junk pile hidden object games, imo, can work in settings that make sense for them, like haunted derelict houses or city alley ways, but not brightly lit luxury ocean liners. OR they can work by just sheer number of objects piled up were all attempt at the objects existing in reality is abandoned, like the Mystery P.I. series. But neither is true of 1912 - Titanic Mystery.

So a sad bottom line for me, I'm afraid. Tons of good work to make a pretty game with an interesting story fell well short by scrimping on any effort in the most important component of a Hidden Object game - challenge at finding the objects.

<-------down for game killing worst hiding of objects ever and up for graphics and story.

That was my point exactly. You just put it into words better than I did in my post!

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by meatbun66 on Nov 1, 09 6:34 PM
I did not care for this game either. When I miss a click on an object, I really hate that off key piano sound. It sounds like someone scratching on a board. Plus, the objects seem to be thrown in any which way.

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Nov 1, 09 8:35 PM
Didn't like it. Apart from the fact that it kept on freezing on me, the 10 hidden objects you need to find first were really apparent. I didn't really get the story line either. How do the hints in the diary lead you to the culprit???

Not worth a game credit or $6.99 in my opinion...

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 1, 09 11:23 PM
I think if any effort whatsoever had been put into post-production this HOG would've been a winner. The Titanic graphix are nice as are the depictions of the characters, there were tons of interesting Titanic factoids, the toying anonymous notes that looked as if they could've been done on an old-fashioned typewriter helped slowly build suspense, the mini-games were varied, fairly easily, eventually skippable, finding life preservers for extra hints was clever use of the premise of the game....but the developers failed to build on this solid platform IMHO.

I had a small glitch where the 1st letters of the HOs were not visible on the L of my screen. So hmmm, am I looking for a book, a hook, a rook, a cook when all I can see is "ook"? Did anyone else get this? My screen rez is at 1078 x 800 so I don't think it's my monitor. Usually I could figure it out so not that big a deal, but c'mon.

If I can figure out how to go into my desktop settings & smooth out the lettering on my icons, I'd think game developers could do the same. Some fonts need to be bolded in order to be readable, look good on a darker background, made larger, get a color change etc in order not to look grainy & thin.

The HOs were junkpiles & I was quite disappointed that they weren't at least period piece HOs in keeping with the theme & the scenes. As Poodlebear already noted, the quality was exceptionally poor. I think I've said earlier that it's not that difficult to use a graphix program properly when resizing things & making them transparent; I can do it in PSP & I ain't making the big bucks for it. It looked like they did a random web search for .tubs & used them as is. Some of the stuff looked like what happened to my Betsy McCall cutouts from Good Housekeeping magazine when I was 5 & not yet coordinated enough to use scissors LOL Bad edging, grainy, some made ridiculously small or ridiculously large instead of to scale, when they could've been very easily.

Also had a few issues with clickability hot spots; clicked on Napoleon's head for ages b/c I couldn't see anything else remotely statute-like, resorted to a hint only to discover I had to click the lower part of the bust, for example.

Didn't anyone bother to edit when they were finished? If the quality had been better this would've been a game on my lengthy list. A shame that such a promising game was flung out into the market too quickly or that the creators just didn't care about professionalism.

msymms
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by msymms on Nov 1, 09 11:34 PM
Complete HOG borefest. Basically find 10 items of the same type and then finish the scene by finding the remainder of stuff. After that you get a simple puzzle. Story very uncompelling and not worth a credit.

Thank you BFG for the trial, but a ZZZZFest,

judimose
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by judimose on Nov 2, 09 6:04 AM
well, I feel like a doofus! I'm at the lifeboats and can't find the last section of the rope in order to do the mini-game. Any help?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 2, 09 6:58 AM
Piece of rope, if the same piece I was looking for, trying to visualize the scene seems there were piles or coils of rope flung here and there, the one on the right side, the piece was just a degree off the color of same ropes it was stuck to. If it were the same color you'd never found it.

Agree with poodlebear about NOT hidden objects, one scene they are so in your face, even suspended in air, but then trying to find 10 same pieces were nearly invisible. Like the rope. Yes they really missed the boat on that first gorgeous first class cabin. I thought it was a maiden voyage, so why is she musing about last person used the room left behind a mess. Nothing hidden there just flung about like decorating with a pitchfork.

I had the hope the game would get better but reading here, probably not on my probably list. Haven't tried loading on XP yet but no problems on vista laptop.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Nov 2, 09 7:38 AM
I have enjoyed this game very much. I like HOG's that aren't quite so hard. Looking for a shoelace in a pile of garbage isn't fun for me. So far I've played for a few hours and looking at the puzzles screen I can see there's a long way for me to go so I feel like this was a good buy. I enjoy the mini games along the way and there are quite a few in this game.

[Post New]by Melodicat on Nov 2, 09 8:15 AM
I'm having the same download issues that several others have mentioned.

Edited on 11/02/2009 at 8:15:50 AM PST

Friar
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Friar on Nov 2, 09 10:10 AM
I just got this game download today. I am having a great time with it. It downloaded just fine and so far is working great. I do love HOG games so this is just what I wanted. It is timed so that is a plus. Basically the game is easy. It does have a few hard sections, or should I say pieces to find. The word jumble was especially hard as I am no good at these. I bought it so that I could play through without interruption. So far I am 2 hours into it and there seems to be more to go. The story line is OK and the little history facts are great. Like I said, it is basically a very easy game with easy puzzles. Great for a beginner or someone who wants to just refresh their skills and have fun. And that is what this is all about. Am returning for another Rye and the game.

PS: as to some of the comments I have seen, remember to read all of the instructions and comments that go with the game as it is loading. They just might be important. Like telling you where you can find additional hints or clues. Be prepared and you will have a great time with this game...

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 2, 09 3:25 PM
I agree with Poodlebear. The game, even for me, is really too easy and I like to see more interaction in a game. I loved the movie, "Titanic", when it came out awhile back so, I thought, this should be really good but I was so disappointed. I won't be buying this one.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Nov 2, 09 7:52 PM
Tech support suggests before you contact them, to try this possible solution if you are having download problems.....I did and it corrected the problem. Click on your Play My Games desktop icon, or at the right end of the BFG toolbar, click options at bottom left, and then on advanced options. You will have 2 choices, Default and Alternate. You will probably already be in Default, change to Alternate and click OK then try the download again. This should correct the problem.

The only thing I really do not like about this game, is that everytime you quit and then start again, you have to go through the beginning news cast again and again, and you can't skip it. Plus when I first started playing, I clicked relaxed mode, but it changed on it's own to the timed mode, and then later on, went back to the relaxed mode. A game glitch ?

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Nov 2, 09 8:28 PM
Sorry this just didn't do it for me, I made through the demo hour by force of will.Very easy, however, I found it difficult to make the interactive items work together. Storyline was somewhat interesting and I liked the use of original photos for the graphics but I'm afraid that's all I liked. plus a thumbnail up.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Nov 2, 09 9:08 PM
[u]I downloaded this game too and couldn't get the mouse arrow to come up on the game ....tried it several times but no luck....anybody else have that trouble?

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 2, 09 10:23 PM
MargB wrote:I'm also having download problem. Downloads okay but will not validate and immediately starts download again.

Will wait awhile and try again tomorrow, if it doesnt work then I will email CS as they are always very helpful

Don't worry, you are not missing much. Same ol' same ol'

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 3, 09 3:38 AM
What a horrible game! I have played it only for a few minutes and then deleted it. The graphic is so fuzzy and its so boring. There are so much better Hogs out there at the moment!

Go to: