KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

Re:The Dracula Files comments and reviews

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Nov 8, 09 12:08 PM
[ I'm sure that some gamers out there will have the exact opposite opinion of mine and I hope they do, that's what makes Big Fish such a great game site....differences of opinions. Thanks to everyone who takes time to write reviews I base a lot of my buying decisions on what others think and most of these games seem to be spot on!

SoHoGirl, I don't think you're going to get too many opinions that are different than yours. Although it seemed I had no tech problems i.e.game didn't run slow, could click the scenes to move it along (unless I just read slow), there was still no way to skip the dialogue which was a pain, some items extremely hard to find (altho I must admit I forgot about clicking on the little screen to see what item looked like...duh!), and cartoon characters were bad. Definitely would not recommend.

geezing
Catfish
Catfish
1,722 Posts

[Post New]by geezing on Nov 8, 09 1:50 PM
The graphics are way tooooo dark. Had a hard time finding everything.
When I tried to exit using the esc key the computer just stalled. There was no cursor and I had trouble getting windows to close using start task manager. The script size was enormous and after 5 start task manager attempts finally got it to shut down. I'm afraid to resume play...so I'll skip. I really wanted to play VanHelsing.

Edited on 11/08/2009 at 1:52:41 PM PST

[Post New]by mellasamoa on Nov 8, 09 2:01 PM
I made it through 35 minuets of 60 minuets time. I wanted this to work. It has okay possibilities, but it was painfully slow. The giant cursor moved so slowly that I to readjust just to click on the items. I made it as far as the second hog page where I had to assemble the torn photos. I couldn't take any more!

If this were to be redone, I would give it a second look...yes, it takes a lot to make these games that we are so critical of.. I will look again if there is a Dracula Files remake, I will gladly try again.

Still swimming up stream! Mella

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Nov 8, 09 2:59 PM
A lot has been said. Sadly, a lot is true. What a disappointement, again. I got an "error violation", the game crashed. I lost my progress, not that I went very far but still. I was so bored already.

Developpers will have to go back to work. I think they got lazy. We, fish in the pound, have become very savy and very critical. We are expecting more, higher standards. I have to say though that some games have been like true gems, but too rare.

I give this one again.

Lets hope we will get what we deserve very soon.

The Dracula Files should not have launched today

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 8, 09 3:08 PM
Hi gang,
We are putting a few weeks of work into brightening scenes that appear dark on some computers and fixing some other minor issues. We are also removing the calculator since people have had problems with it. The redone version should be available by first week of December. I'm sorry some of you are having issues with this version, but we are working hard to improve it, so I hope you'll take a look when the new version is ready. I appreciate all your feedback.

Edited on 11/09/2009 at 10:22:40 AM PST

You can skip dialogue by hitting ESC

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 8, 09 3:09 PM
BTW, if you want to skip the story scenes, hit ESC.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Nov 8, 09 3:16 PM
VladimirDraco,

How nice of you to pass this information along. Thank you very much. The tip for the Intro is also very much appreciated.

Maybe we'll give it another try.

Good luck!

[Post New]by cricketdoll on Nov 8, 09 4:27 PM
To much conversation and not enough game play. O.k. but I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on this one.

sigrid1
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by sigrid1 on Nov 8, 09 5:35 PM
Mine wouldn't save the progress on my game, so I always have to start from scratch. Then I got an error and it threw me out. I'll be sending this one back for a credit tomorrow...didn't like it at all. What happened to more cheerful games? Damn this dark depressing games aren't fun in winter, ya know?

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Nov 8, 09 5:36 PM
What a DUD! Don't wast your time or your money!

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Nov 8, 09 5:56 PM
After reading the reviews, I'm not going to even try the demo.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Nov 8, 09 6:50 PM
I reviewed in the other thread before this opened, but to sum up succinctly - honestly, if this were free I would not play it. Sorry.

SPICeGRAN
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by SPICeGRAN on Nov 8, 09 8:03 PM
If your idea of having fun is being frustrated or if you just bought a new pair of reading glasses, this game is for you.

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Nov 8, 09 10:58 PM
In 2 words.....FORGET IT!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 8, 09 11:38 PM
OK....is everyone complaining about the movie/dialogue taking 4ever new to casual games, or what? When there is no FFW button, you ALWAYS click anywhere to speed it up. I flew thru that dialogue (being a speed reader helps) by doing that. On most games it seems to work. There are very few HOGs that you cannot click thru the dialogue on by random clicks (the most recent one you couldn't was Trapped). Even on Vampire Saga (that was slower than dirt) if you held down the Faster button instead of clicking, you flew thru it. That stuff's like Basic HOG 101 to me. Not meaning to sound superior (but you never know online LOL so I thought I ought to clarify), but I thought this was common knowledge? Try it next time, 9x out of 10 it'll work.

That said, I see I'm in the minority once more, alas. I liked the gloomy, Old World scenes for the most part; a few of the HOs were badly made transparent, esp in the fireplace rm, but not many, so the quality was OK. There was a silhouette option if you weren't sure what, for example, a sai or a short sword should look like, so no problems finding anything with that added. The only scene I really had trouble in was finding 30 wolfsbane plants, which was a bit much, but at least half were immediately visible. I thought it was interesting that when you had to go back to a room, like with Mark's hotel, it was the same room, but from a different camera angle/perspective, with different HOs to find. Playing on the game's vampire theme by calling a spot the difference mini-game as "what's not reflected in the mirror" & reversing it was clever. Scenes inside of scenes was a good idea & seems to be the new HOG norm, which is fine; more HOs to look for is never bad. The mini-games weren't tough at all & I got 2 levels past the werewolf in the demo even playing them, with no irksome turn the pipes yet YAY I actually like scenes where it's totally dark & you have to use a "flashlight" b/c it narrows your focus & is less distracting than trying to take in a whole rm at once. It wasn't terribly junkpile-y, either. Some of the HOs were small when set way back in some rms as they'd be in any situation with a vanishing pt, but again, smaller ones are more challenging to find. I don't get when people complain they can't find stuff lickety-split. We are playing a hidden object game, are we noT? TBC next post, sassing me lengthwise atm.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 8, 09 11:45 PM
What I didn't like was the amateurish, cartoony, 40s DC comic book type of art in the dialogue scenes. It was a jarring contrast to the rest of the game's flavor & made it less spooky/creepy/dark. Some of you may like that just for that reason. I would've liked to have seen more than simple colored-in line drawings for that bit.

All in all, it certainly wasn't as horrible as some fishies are making it out to be IMHO & I wouldn't let anyone's review stop me from giving a game a try. You may like it! It's not a must-have-now but it's decent enough for a HOG-dearth one day or a discounted price deal.

And for the last time GRRRRRR.....if I see one more review dismissing a HOG "because it's not up to the standard of RTR".....give me a break. RTR was a whole new genre called an IHOG. What we've been getting lately are regular old school HOGs that you all happily played until you got spoiled & petulant that everything wasn't RTR. Not to take anything away from s creative team, but I felt recent games like PuppetShow, Vampire Saga, & Edgar Allan Poe were every bit as "good" as RTR....just in a different way, like every game is going to be different. C'mon, guys, lighten up with this RTR stuff already!

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Nov 9, 09 5:02 AM
Hi Vlad. I think I will enjpy this game when you make the changes. I appreciate you reading these posts and are improving on the game. I will try it again when you do.

bbelle

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Nov 9, 09 7:18 AM
My husband and I agree about the too dark screen which makes it difficult to find items. Also, the dialog is too much. Maybe for 2.99?

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 9, 09 7:26 AM
Thanks for the comments. We've found that some video cards are processing the shadow effects in the game incorrectly, making them much darker than they are supposed to be. We have been working on fixing them for each level, and hope you will take a look when the correct version launches.

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Nov 9, 09 9:22 AM
Hi Vlad ~ I'm in the minority apparently, i don't dislike the game, it's not a "must have right this minute" game, but it's on my maybe list

had no technical issues, no slow cursor, crashes, etc, but did find some of the items soooooo small that even after using a hint to find em, i was like sheesh i thot that was a speck of dirt

will wait for the updated version i assume that will help with the small items in dark spots ... and maybe then it will be a buy for me

good luck with the udpate

Go to: