Re:Racial Profiling within the game why?

[Post New]by flyingsquirrely on Nov 11, 09 3:16 PM
Deleted

Edited on 01/06/2010 at 7:56:00 PM PST

[Post New]by flyingsquirrely on Nov 11, 09 3:20 PM
Deleted

Edited on 01/06/2010 at 7:56:18 PM PST

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 11, 09 3:25 PM
I'm going to pop in again and remind folks to please refrain from discounting other opinions on our forums. If this continues, I will have to lock this thread. If you must comment on this topic, please do so in a manner that does not disrespect your fellow forums members opinions.

bfgErie

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 12, 09 1:13 AM
Maybe this game only reinforces racial sterotypes if the player is guilty of aplying racial sterotypes in the first place? Personally, even if I had noticed that the thief was coloured, it wouldn't have reinforced any sterotypes for me, wouldn't occur to me to assume one colour person was more likely to be a thief than another tbh

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Nov 12, 09 1:39 AM
I think everyone should chill out. I didn't even think about it when I came to that part. It's just a game. Try to have fun and stop trying to analyze every thought process of the developer.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 09 2:09 AM
I think it is wonderful that many do not even recognize stereotypes these days, but maybe the younger generation who just passes them by. I am a 73 year old white woman raised in the south (left long ago and worked 8 years for a black owned company). So I see both sides of this coin. Our generation worked too long and hard to hope to eliminate it from our culture. This may be totally unintentional by the devs, I only said it "bothered me", it is a very subliminal thing and yes it does still exist.

The first time I saw an AfroAmer in a game was in PrimeSuspects, his crime was addicted to sniffing gasoline. I thought that was pretty weird, most the other crimes by others were so whacky, outlandish. It just bounced out at me thinking why do they have to depict him as a drug addict. The humor in the game was so off the wall and fun. Guess I'm just too sensitive and empathetic.

On the other hand, the first client of Cassandra's Journey was a normal woman who was missing someone and wanted her to help. She just happened to be black and that's normal to me. I don't think it is just being pc to wonder why not more balance like in reality.

Yes, they are just games. Little Black Sambo was just a children's book I had as a kid. Robert Louis Stevenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses" is another insulting a little Indian boy because he wasn't English. These are all historical now and can either be perpetuated or in contrast be a measuring stick of how much progress has been made.

Me? No, not guilty.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 12, 09 4:19 PM
WOW....NOW We have game POLITICS

I joined BFG to have "FUN" "IF" I want POLITICS I can watch TV

FISHIES we are all here to have fun here we go again more strife in the pond

CHILL OUT!
HAVE FUN!

I am a PLAIN "AMERICAN" and proud of it

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Nov 12, 09 5:17 PM
From my take on this thread: There are some who notice a disparity and voiced it. Some others seem really pissed it was even mentioned to the point of hurling insults with things like telling people they have too much time on their hands, and other ridiculous nonsense, just for having a different opinion.

Insults and fallacies aren't going to stop anyone from telling the truth as they see it. If it annoys some so much, ignore the thread. *shrug* And frankly, it's one little-bitty thread with no call to pull or boycott the game or anything else radical, so one has to wonder...Why are some so upset and combative? And that's a rhetorical question btw, ask yourself.

And this isn't politics, it's business. A business where I spend my money and I'll let them and the game designers know how I feel whenever I think it's necessary.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 09 5:33 PM
I thought we were having a healthy debate exchanging ideas about mutual respect and human dignity. What's politics got to do with this topic?? Unless you want to make it so. Good way to have the thread locked seeing it as politics. Some people DO have fun having an adult conversation and food for thought., but looks like if it pushes buttons it's not fun for others. Sorry I even joined in, It was just an observation, my intention was certainly not pot stirring.

Edited on 11/12/2009 at 5:37:33 PM PST

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Nov 12, 09 6:43 PM
....I'm still trying to be a better person while I'm enjoying this glorious game....

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 12, 09 9:01 PM
Sigh. As a long-time crusader for equal rights, I gotta say that having a black character who has commited a crime is *not* racial profiling.

I'm Native American. So, I guess I should be insulted by the native girl drumming in an island hut in one new game, and decide that a)it's stereotyped indigenous peoples by not having her be a CEO of a business and b)racially profiled her because it turned out that she was lying about who she was.

Now I'm playing the Cherry Blossoms game, and I have a strong feeling that one of the Japanese characters is a bad guy--as are one, and maybe two, of the white guys. So, am I profiling the Japanese guy but not the white guys?

I've written and presented on topics of race and literature, and I honestly think that if you go looking for every single mention of a non-white in anything but a "successful" role you wind up diluting the work for & achievements in equality. Any person of any race can be a hero or a villain. That's true in life; so therefore true in works of fiction.

I've played games that have all types and colors of people, and I don't really notice the races other than as just being "people" in the game.

I found it very interesting to read a comment from a fellow Fishie who identified self as black and said it wasn't racial profiling. I appreciated the candor of that comment.

If there were something huge and overt that was disrespectful, I think it would sink in this pond. I've commented when I've found historical or cultural inaccuracies in games with Native American characters or settings, but I don't see those mistakes as racially insulted or motivated--just someone's lack of knowledge about the diversity in tribes and nations.

Oh, good grief--there's a villain Frenchman in one popular game. As a Tudor-loving Anglophile, I guess I should smile and say "yep, all those Frenchies are no good." (wink--that's a joke to illustrate a point). How far can the nit-picking go before it just becomes its own caricature? After all, if you look at RTR and other popular games of that type, it becomes apparent that white guys are demented killers, because, after all, so far all the villains in those type games have been white guys. See, when you flip the assumption to its opposite, you run into a logic problem.

I truly appreciate the concern for others from the original poster. But I think it's better to cry warning about a great white shark rather than a tadpole.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Nov 12, 09 9:39 PM
Gee Pepper I wish I'd said that

[Post New]by SatinEssence on Nov 13, 09 7:06 AM
I too took offense to that character being a thief, but........I quickly got over it after thinking calmly for a couple of seconds. It seemed fine to me, why......because there were quite a few African American characters in the game and they seemed fine to me. (can't believe I'm saying all of this about a game character :whistle
I would have more of a problem if there were no other characters of color and the only one being a thief.

As Tailteann stated: "this isn't politics, it's business. A business where I spend my money and I'll let them and the game designers know how I feel whenever I think it's necessary"

In closing, some of the comments seemed racist to me, never mind the game!!!!
C'mon..........COLOURED PEOPLE??? What, are we still living in the 50's and 60's??
How offensive and sad!!

suss1
Clownfish
Clownfish
555 Posts

[Post New]by suss1 on Nov 13, 09 1:31 PM
We are all coloured people. I am pink with 1.000.000 spots on, my husbond is darker, some are all black, and then again some are very pale.
But we are all colured, even here in year 2009.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 13, 09 2:29 PM
bronte311 wrote:I think "little" things like this do matter, so I'm glad you brought it up. I didn't get that far in the game, but I do think game designers should pay attention to what characteristics they assign to "bad" and "good" characters in the game, including that of race. Even if he's a reformed thief, if he's the only person of color in the game (and it sounds like he is?), that's a definite problem and one the creators of the game should have caught.

By making their characters just a little more diverse, it sounds like the creators of this game could have made a great game even better!

I agree.As soon as I saw it I felt a bit put off. I am very alert to this type of thing. I moove from liber upper California to the deep south and almost had a nervous breakdown geting used to what I call the racial uglies.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Nov 13, 09 3:05 PM
One time and it's racial profiling?

I mean, if the creators of this game did it ALL the time in their games, then I might consider it that way, but they don't.

One thief (a reformed one at that) and who's to say they didn't flip a quarter or draw slips of paper to decide what color to use?

I would never have thought anything about it if it had not been brought to the forum's attention. That isn't because I'm a close minded person either, it's simply because there wasn't (still isn't in my opinion) emphasis toward it.

I hope game devlopers never see the day they have to be so careful about how they design a game that everything they produce is boring and no fun.

I would be the first to complain on someone's behalf were they discriminated against or what ever in one of these games, but I just don't see what you're seeing in this one.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 15, 09 6:13 AM
<applauds Pepper>

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Nov 15, 09 6:29 AM
I played this game and noticed nothing "racial" about any of the characters at all. In fact, I probably didn't even notice the "reformed thief" was black. I just think it's silly to get all worked up over something so minor and inconsequential in a game...really. Games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, but if you're spending your gaming time super-analyzing every character and word used in the game, and letting it bother you,how much fun can you be having? Lighten up people...it's just a game.

[Post New]by Jessieb79 on Nov 15, 09 12:14 PM
Look, people pick up on stereotypes. And we don't know you personally or know that you're not racist. All the rest of the worls has to go by are your actions.

So it's your responsibility to study your words and actions to see how they might be perceived by others. If people think you're being racist, you need to fix the problems in your behavior. It doesn't matter what your intentions are. To think otherwise is self-absorbed and childish.

Putting in a thief who was black was a boneheaded move by the writers. I'm sure they're not racist, but they should have used their brains.

Of course, most of these games show no diversity at all, anyway. I'm not offended. Just makes me assume that the game designers are ignorant and myopic.

And I assume the same of everyone who thinks diversity isn't important. That includes most of the people in this thread. You can rant at me about that, but it won't change the fact that you don't look very smart or nice to the people around you, on here or in real life. Just the truth, folks.

purplehaze72
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,258 Posts

[Post New]by purplehaze72 on Nov 15, 09 12:28 PM
I don't see it that way! A thief is a thief is a thief no matter what color the skin is! and guess what? there is white thieves, there is asian theives, there is oriental thieves, and there is black thieves! i am not seeing anyone complain about those other races being depicted as thieves but oh my one game has a black thief and fishies get up in an uproar over the injustice! i think it is time to start treating these game for what they are - GAMES, JUST GAMES PEOPLE!

i am sorry if you don't like the game you don't have to play it. its plain and simple!

and again this is JUST MY OPINION!

Go to: