samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

Re:The Mystery of the Crystal Portal comments and reviews

[Post New]by samwise50 on Nov 15, 09 6:06 PM
Artogon came up with this one before Treasure Seekers I believe. A lot of features are the same: wheels of hidden objects, sounds, absolutely gorgeous graphics, all very familiar. It's not as polished as TS but still very attractive in its genre. I loved both TS so I'll purchase this one and wait for the sequel as well.

Thank you for giving us another high standard game.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Nov 15, 09 6:25 PM
I am with Scarlet in that I am tired of another archaeologist saves the day story. Just tired of it.

tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

[Post New]by tat2s on Nov 15, 09 9:04 PM
Diana_Mc wrote:Scarlet,
I was totally agreeing with you about the fire and remembering one game...I was almost stuck and finally tossed a kerosene light into the boiler (whatever) and it magically created fire.

Um.... was that Puppetville?

I forget which game (not sure BF had it) where they fired the shotgun at the ceiling light to free the revolver in it. Since the guy's uncle was on the floor above, I've always meant to go back and see if I could figure out the floor plan. The game may have been over at that point. I know they're just games but they expect us to figure things out and they don't incude whatever they're smoking.

Diana, the kerosene lamp one was Puppetville - took me forever to figure that one out! And the shotgun in the ceiling was Pandora. Another random, whowouldathunkit?

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Nov 15, 09 9:42 PM
LizzieK wrote:This is an extremely good puzzle and hidden object game. It has excellent visual quality and beautiful scenery. The objects seem to be authentic to the time and locations. It also has very enjoyable music. If you enjoyed the other Artogon games, Treasure Seekers Visions of Gold and Treasure Seekers The Enchanted Canvases you will probably like this one.

I am glad to know that there will be a sequel soon but I hope when Nicole goes through the Crystal Portal she comes out on the other side with better manners and is a little less haughty and a little more pleasant. This could have been a totally beautiful game but Nicole’s disdainful personality and expression added an unpleasant quality that wasn’t needed.

I could have done without the sound of buzzing flies also. I would have preferred the sounds of birds, animals, rain, wind, chimes, flowing water … anything but buzzing flies.

I highly recommend this game.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Nov 15, 09 9:45 PM
I agree with Lizzie on the attitude of Nicole! She does have a really bad attitude. The game is fun though and not hard so far.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 16, 09 6:56 AM
Diana_Mc wrote:
Scarlet,
I was totally agreeing with you about the fire and remembering one game...I was almost stuck and finally tossed a kerosene light into the boiler (whatever) and it magically created fire.

Um.... was that Puppetville?

I forget which game (not sure BF had it) where they fired the shotgun at the ceiling light to free the revolver in it. Since the guy's uncle was on the floor above, I've always meant to go back and see if I could figure out the floor plan. The game may have been over at that point. I know they're just games but they expect us to figure things out and they don't incude whatever they're smoking.

Diana, the kerosene lamp one was Puppetville - took me forever to figure that one out! And the shotgun in the ceiling was Pandora. Another random, whowouldathunkit?

I almsot didn't buy Vampire Saga: Pandora's Box after the demo b/c of that stupid shotgun thing LOL I demo'd it elsewhere a few days b4 got it & if I hadn't tried it again & gotten to the ship where I was sucked in, I never would've bought it. That took me like a wk to finish!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the lone voice of dissent on this one like I was w/ Drawn!

Edited on 11/16/2009 at 6:56:56 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 16, 09 8:48 AM
Having just finished Treasure Seekers 1 I found this game being more of the same. Good graphics, good sound, good ambience. Story is a run-of-the.mill find your father story, apparently with some science fiction in it, but a bit better than two kids off on a treasure hunt while meeting their ghost grandma.

However, tasks are still a bit nonsense - why do I use a bullhorn to set a railway switch??? Mini puzzles are quite logical in the first hour.

Now I'm not sure which game came first. If Treasure Seekers was first then great, they learned something: Small objects in dark places are a no-go in HOGs. If this game came first and then Treasure Seekers, then why did they screw up with the objects?

Having said that, scenes are brighter in the first hour then in TS, objects are bigger and in general easier to find. Save for the screwdriver in the very first scene.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 16, 09 11:32 AM
This is a nice hog game. I have bought it for one year of another website.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Nov 16, 09 12:37 PM
Let's hope she's going to change her attitude in the next one. It really gets annoying. I felt stupid sometimes. When a game character makes you feel that way, it's pretty sad.

Whoever said "enough with girls", daughters, sisters, wives, etc., I agree.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the game, not as much as Treasure Seekers but I did.

jewbaby
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by jewbaby on Nov 17, 09 11:09 PM
Fantastic Game!!!! People commented about the stand-offish-ness of Nicole, maybe they are emotionally sensitive or something....I thought she was of stellar quality and a good representative of an archaeologist's daughter. The scenery and rooms were exquisite and satisfied our exquisite tastes. Also liked the puzzles and "the gatherings." I'm glad we didn't find it on another site as this just fit in with our recent frenzy of purchases from BF.

beachado
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by beachado on Nov 20, 09 2:20 AM
I really liked this game and was, um, let's say frustrated when it didn't really end. Open for the sequel no doubt. It was fun, not too taxing for my late night brain, and darn it, I can hardly wait for the next edition to see where she ends up! Good on you BFG! (only RTR gets four!)

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 22, 09 6:27 PM
I also found this game boring, dumped it after 10 minutes of playing. Good different game play of finding the selected objects, but I found the locations boring went upto Japan, it didn't have any exciting feel to it at all.

[Post New]by missdmeanour on Nov 26, 09 5:17 PM
It was an ok sorta game just disappointed not long enough...like others I had got to chapter 5 when demo ran out, wish I had kept my credit for another game that prob longer. But looking forward to next one.

[Post New]by Izzy1234 on Dec 1, 09 7:19 PM
I just started playing the game and I am stuck in the first level. I click on hint and it say that I am done but I cannot move any where because I am missing one piece. any help.

[Post New]by Izzy1234 on Dec 1, 09 7:25 PM
Izzy1234 wrote:I just started playing the game and I am stuck in the first level. I click on hint and it say that I am done but I cannot move any where because I am missing one piece. any help.

The Mystery of the Crystal Portal comments and reviews

[Post New]by ZBFQPY on Jan 26, 10 3:37 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !
Wife was playing the game. In the chapter, Japan, where the prizums r located she is missing 2 prizums to complete the chap. All of the mystery parts r completed, so how does she get back to find the other 2? She thought she had them all but only 4 show.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Feb 24, 10 10:00 PM
I really like this game and if you wait quite a while in between plays, it is enjoyable each time - for myself anyway. I would really like to see a sequel to this game or different storyline/characters but exactly same type of gameplay like this one and the Treasure Seekers games. I love these games with the radial object search. Really fun and a great change of pace. Anyway, back to the point, has anyone heard if there is a sequel to this coming out or a third Treasure Seekers??? I would be thrilled to hear a yes

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Apr 1, 10 4:36 AM
Martyheinz wrote:Wholeheartedly agree. Nicole's attitude and manner are offputting. The game, however, is good. I miss the verbal dialog, and there could be less music dead space. Can't wait for the sequel.

Oh no,don't tell me another thoroughly 'snotty' female like those in Emerald City Confidential! I hated them so much by the end of the game that I deleted it,because I knew I could never stand to play it again! I also was not impressed with the demo of the first Crystal Portal,so I'll be skipping this one too.

The Mystery of the Crystal Portal comments and reviews

[Post New]by crosschris on Apr 3, 10 8:22 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Apr 3, 10 12:21 PM
this is a very thought out game.love the pictures,there is a lot to do,Its the kind of game you have to take your time with,which I like,the story is good,
I just wish it had voices,I got spoiled with the poeple talking.I just bought the game,going to go finish it now,will see you guys later this eveing,might take a brake,happy gaming all.

Go to: