scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

Re:Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual comments and reviews

[Post New]by scpotamus on Dec 20, 09 9:42 AM
bought and loved this game, despite the cutscenes being terribly choppy and the cursor in the regular scenes being just a bit sluggish. I can't update my drivers either so I guess I just live with the slow choppy cutscenes. due to that, I didn't understand the end since I couldn't tell who was talking when. All the dialogue goes on at correct time but the video is waaaay behind. Was James bad or good? Was Uncle bad or good? Not sure what happened at all! Still, I did enjoy playing.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 24, 09 10:16 PM
We're supposed to keep spoilers out of this particular topic (reviews), so it's probably a good thing you didn't know!

Look for topics in the forum that talk about the ending--you'll find more discussion of it there that may help clear up a few things.

Robin

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 26, 09 12:34 PM
This is quite interesting in that this is a very logical (and therefore easyish) game.
It's mainly inventory-based, and the items never seem to be very far away. Whilst there is the occasional puzzle, they aren't too difficult.

There's nothing hugely original here, but it's well done. If you like playing adventure games for the story, this is probably worth getting.

I'd give it 7 / 10 for the game and 4 / 6 for the difficulty.

Edited on 12/26/2009 at 12:36:04 PM PST

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Dec 30, 09 7:34 AM
castellerin wrote:wow lol no answer since I asked over 5 hours ago........tells me it is a no go!

Off subject to BF benefit. had an issue with [IW] tonight and said their games may be good but their customer service SUCKS to be blunt and crude. They will lose my monthly payment. May not be a lot but they all add up. Just a little venting lol.. I will stay where the customer service, price and loyalty count. [IW] IS OUT. But honestly, I have had great experiences with both BIG FISH and [GH]. As a regular consumer, I should be able to mention them. I tell [GH] when BF is better too! but [IW] SUCKS. good for demos on largefile and that is it!

castellerin,
I couldn't agree more - I don't know what is up with [IW] but I have a few bad experiences with their so called customer service and they do not compare to Big Fish! I have never had problems with BFG and will remain a loyal customer because of it, and because they have better games IMO. [GH] is OK too but still think BFG is #1 :0)

gailfriend

Edited on 02/03/2010 at 3:28:16 PM PST

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 31, 09 1:15 PM
gailfriend429 wrote:
castellerin wrote:wow lol no answer since I asked over 5 hours ago........tells me it is a no go!

Off subject to BF benefit. had an issue with [IW] tonight and said their games may be good but their customer service SUCKS to be blunt and crude. They will lose my monthly payment. May not be a lot but they all add up. Just a little venting lol.. I will stay where the customer service, price and loyalty count. [IW] IS OUT. But honestly, I have had great experiences with both BIG FISH and [GH]. As a regular consumer, I should be able to mention them. I tell [GH] when BF is better too! but [IW] SUCKS. good for demos on largefile and that is it!

castellerin,
I couldn't agree more - I don't know what is up with [IW] but I have a few bad experiences with their so called customer service and they do not compare to Big Fish! I have never had problems with BFG and will remain a loyal customer because of it, and because they have better games IMO. [GH] is OK too but still think BFG is #1 :0)

gailfriend

I had a LOT of trouble with [IW] and quit after only a few months with them. As you've said, their customer service SUCKS big time. They also have a purchase policy that is ridiculous (if you buy extra games in a month, that then becomes a new monthly purchase time for you and they begin to take that fee plus your regular one every month!!!) Plus after you install your game 3 times, you have to ask them to re-release it to you so you can install it again if you need to. Pretty well all of the games that I bought no longer work for me, so I am gradually replacing them from Big Fish. I quit with them because of all of these things and consider them an almost scam type of business. On the other hand, Big Fish has been very good to me, as a customer, and I spend money here gladly. Thanks Big Fish, for being the best gaming site out there (IMHO)!!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Edited on 02/03/2010 at 3:27:55 PM PST

lawse1
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by lawse1 on Jan 6, 10 9:01 AM
can not get anywhere with this game. another waste of money

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jan 17, 10 12:20 AM
Why are so many games being offered without a trial version? I won't buy any that I haven't tried.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 17, 10 2:40 AM
LFA games won't have trial versions but may have demos on the developer's website.

atroya
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by atroya on Feb 3, 10 1:20 PM
Game started very well. Keeps crashing when I try to load the game at certain point Com keeps crashing, I think this game has a few bugs

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Feb 3, 10 3:31 PM
Hey Fishies!

Just a heads up, I had to do a little editing in a few posts. We generally discourage using the full names of our competitors on the forums. Just mentioning competitors by their full name, regardless of whether you're saying good or bad things about them, puts them higher on search lists, effectively acting as free advertising for them.

It's totally okay to talk about other sites, we just ask that if you'd like to reference a competitor, that you abbreviate their name, or mention them in a PM.

Thanks everyone!

-bfgZambezi

[Post New]by crocky67 on Feb 3, 10 11:22 PM
Can someone help me please at the begining of the game where you have read the book and the two letters how do you actually read the letters because it just seems to stay in the inventory folded up and i've tried everything to read them

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Feb 4, 10 4:50 AM
Is it true that you can't play in windowed mode?

If so, can you still use the Windows key to get out to the walkthrough?

[Post New]by miranda666 on Feb 6, 10 8:45 AM
I am very unhappy, this game won't save. Each time I go to save it, it freezes up and I lose all my progress. Very disappointing, as the game itself is entertaining.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 6, 10 7:59 PM
miranda666 wrote:I am very unhappy, this game won't save. Each time I go to save it, it freezes up and I lose all my progress. Very disappointing, as the game itself is entertaining.

Ouch! That must be very frustrating!

Assuming you bought the game here at Big Fish Games, the best thing is probably to get in touch with Customer Support, and they should be able to help you one way or another. Click on the green envelope in the right column.

Good luck!
Robin

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 6, 10 8:01 PM
crocky67 wrote:Can someone help me please at the begining of the game where you have read the book and the two letters how do you actually read the letters because it just seems to stay in the inventory folded up and i've tried everything to read them

Throughout the game you read all documents in your inventory in the same way.

1. Left-click on an item to collect it and move it your inventory.
2. Right-click on the item in your inventory to open a zoom scene.
3. Left-click on the item to open it and read it, such as unfolding a letter or opening a book.
4. From then on, look for arrows or try clicking the lower right corner to turn the pages.

Good luck!
Robin

atroya
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by atroya on Feb 8, 10 7:58 AM
miranda666 wrote:I am very unhappy, this game won't save. Each time I go to save it, it freezes up and I lose all my progress. Very disappointing, as the game itself is entertaining.

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Feb 12, 10 4:57 AM
So far I like this game. I DL the demo from another site (which has undoubtedly left cookies and other spyware on my machine) and I think I'll buy it from BFG.

I've had no technical issues with the game. I saved and was able to log back on and had no difficulty with my screen freezing. I didn't notice any real lag between characters and voice. The graphics are beautiful. I suspect you might need a slightly above average video card with at least 512MB of vid card memory. This may be why some people are having issues with lag and the game crashing or not being able to save properly. Any computer that was bought off-the-shelf 3-4 years ago probably only has 256MB of vid memory. The game req's state DirectX 8 so it doesn't require as much as some of the newer games. Most people should be able to play this on whatever rig they are using.

The mouse is a bit finicky. You must be fairly precise on some actions such as turning out the light in her bedroom. You can multiple click to make your character run thus saving time moving from place to place. Left click to pick items up, right click to "use" them (i.e. to read a letter you pick up, right click on letter in inventory and it will open to be read).

The game is set up in a very linear fashion so beginners to these LFG adventure games might find this a good starter game. The game simply won't allow you to do certain things until you complete the pre-req. Unlike some other LFG, it actually tells you where to go and what you're missing. It doesn't tell you "exactly", but in enough detail that you can figure it out. Some scenes do take some detailed searching to find items you need to pick up or examine but this is half the fun of these types of games.

This game is definitely easier than most LFG (such as the Nancy Drew games) so if you're wanting to try these types of games but find some of the others daunting, give this one a try. Not to mention, the walk-through gives very detailed step-by-step instructions if you get stuck. The story line is enough to keep you interested and trying to move forward. Instead of following the walk-though line by line, give this game a try and see if you can figure things out on your own. It's pretty logical (for the most part) with only a few red herrings that seem to have nothing to do with the plot.

Having only played an hour so far, I'd have to give it a 7 out of 10 for game play & storyline and a 2.5 out of 6 for difficulty (6 being most difficult).

Edited on 02/14/2010 at 3:01:23 AM PST

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Mar 22, 10 2:11 PM
Just finished.

This was my first LFA game and I'm glad I got all the way through it. I'm also thankful there was a walkthrough although I only used it when I was really stuck.

I read the instructions on how to move Sylvie and how to use inventory items, etc and that helped a lot. (Being able to speed her up was invaluable!) I used the walkthrough a few times at the beginning since it was my first LFA I was pretty confused. I knew the jist of how these games work but I was missing a lot of things. The walkthrough got me going and I did a good percentage of the game on my own.
Still used it now and then though.

I prefer third-person LFAs like this one over first-person types. The graphics in this are very nice, the voice acting was well done for the most part, and I don't mind that the character animation was a bit crude. The linear aspect was good for me as a newb. I turned the music off.

I played other games in the interim while I was working on this so I can't say how long it took but it was a long time. At least 8-10 hrs I'd guess..but for a seasoned LFA player it would be less I'm sure.

I don't regret buying this w/out a demo. I might try Art of Murder too since it's the same character I think.

I"ll uninstall this to save on hard drive space but will def. keep it and some day play again. The replay value of these types isn't so great but if you wait long enough you're likely to forget a lot of it so replaying could be fun. It also might be more fun the second time through when I know more what I"m doing, lol.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Mar 22, 10 4:21 PM
Art of Murder is the same publishers, but a different character. They're both smart, professional young women with a similar look, but the one in Chronicles of Mystery is a French anthropologist and the one in Art of Murder is an American FBI agent. Gameplay is similar, perhaps even a bit more linear in Art of Murder. So if you like one you'll probably like the other. Art of Murder does have some "adult language" in it, which this one doesn't.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Mar 22, 10 5:40 PM
I love this game! It is gorgeous 'eye-candy',and it has an interesting story,plus it's easy. I give it 4/5. Even the voice acting is well done! The ending like most, however, is a let down.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 5:41:35 PM PST

Go to: