technical difficulties

xsbarbcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:technical difficulties

[Post New]by xsbarbcat on Feb 27, 10 9:01 AM
Well, here it is nearly the end of February, and I am reading the messages from early January. Just ran into the same problem, so apparently this hasn't been fixed. That doesn't bode well for a repair any time soon. I did contact customer service this morning and it will probably take them a day or two to get back tome. I think I may have to just askf or a game credit. Does anyone know if the problem will ever be corrected?

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 27, 10 9:25 AM
Volauvent wrote:Patches - I have found sites w/patches, but no description of what the patches are supposed to fix.

Thoughts?

Google: Chronicles of Mystery patches.

Vol au vent.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't install any patches you didn't get directly from technical support at Big Fish Games. (Assuming you bought the game here, of course.)

Big Fish Games works directly with the developers, so they'll get any official patches. And if you installed a patch from a previous version, it might mess up the one you have.

If you're having problems, and you bought the game, here, try getting in touch with Customer Service by clicking on the green envelope in the right column. They should be able to help you one way or another.

Good luck!
Robin

adrienne1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by adrienne1 on Mar 5, 10 2:29 PM
I downloaded this game because I'd read the reviews and thought I would take a chance without having the trial to play, but unfortunately it was not working right on my laptop so I never really got to play it as after my pc crashed a couple of times I uninstalled it. I sent an email to customer services and have just received a credit from them. Fantastic service thank you so much Corey in customer support for such prompt action. I'm just disappointed I'll not get to play the game though.
Regards to all those in the pond. Mavis Adrienne (England)

Edited on 03/05/2010 at 2:30:02 PM PST

ARLENEARL
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ARLENEARL on Mar 10, 10 4:03 AM
I can right click my brains out and can't get inventory to enlarge so I can do things with it, i.e. the water bucket, ladle and wire. Only once did I get the bucket enlarged but had to restart game for other reasons. Now again cannot get enlargements. I am going nuts. Can someone help??

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Mar 12, 10 9:48 PM
ARLENEARL wrote:I can right click my brains out and can't get inventory to enlarge so I can do things with it, i.e. the water bucket, ladle and wire. Only once did I get the bucket enlarged but had to restart game for other reasons. Now again cannot get enlargements. I am going nuts. Can someone help??

How frustrating! I'm so sorry you've run into that--it does sound like a glitch. Assuming you bought the game here at Big Fish Games, I would go ahead and contact Customer Service, and they should be able to help you one way or another. Just click on the green envelope in the right column.

Good luck!
Robin

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

technical difficulties

[Post New]by Beingknown on Mar 31, 10 3:02 PM
lauratiny wrote:Is anyone else having issues? I tried saving when I was at the Istanbul courtyard and then an error message popped up and closed the game. I lost a lot of progress. And then when I tried to open it and load the saved game before that, it would freeze as it was trying to load the save. Has anyone else experienced this?

I saw issues with the game crashing back in Nov of 09. It is now March 31, 2010 and the bugs are still there. Once in Istanbul, the game crashes and closes. I talked to tech support live assistance and was advised to uninstall and then reinstall the game and play as a new player. This, of-course means starting the entire game over again. I am trying it and will post again, if it works.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

technical difficulties

[Post New]by Beingknown on Mar 31, 10 4:21 PM
Beingknown wrote:
lauratiny wrote:Is anyone else having issues? I tried saving when I was at the Istanbul courtyard and then an error message popped up and closed the game. I lost a lot of progress. And then when I tried to open it and load the saved game before that, it would freeze as it was trying to load the save. Has anyone else experienced this?

I saw issues with the game crashing back in Nov of 09. It is now March 31, 2010 and the bugs are still there. Once in Istanbul, the game crashes and closes. I talked to tech support live assistance and was advised to uninstall and then reinstall the game and play as a new player.

This does work. Just be sure that after you uninstall and then reinstall, that you start the entire game again and do NOT use any of your old saved places. From an entirely new start I have played the Istanbul chapter without incident.

Good luck and happy gaming.

[Post New]by tocbooks on Feb 10, 11 3:08 PM
I had the same problems with this game that most of you all have. Had the identical problem with another City Interactive game. I can't remember if it was the other Chronicles of Mystery or one of the Art of Murders game. I finally discovered that if you have more than 16 saves, you get the error message, crash, then freeze when trying to load the game later. I just stopped saving a bunch of games and overwrote the same save file each time. No big whoop, since these games are so linear, you can't really get permanently stuck. In other words, doing the wrong thing won't cause you to be unable to finish the game. Hope this helps.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 10, 11 4:00 PM
Thanks for the info, tocbooks.
I downloaded this game from another game site and have had no problems with it at all. But I'm sure I did not try to save more than 16 times either. As you said with this game you can easily overwrite earlier saves without causing a lot of harm.
m

[Post New]by Somnus on Feb 27, 11 12:30 PM
I'm having the same problems as others have reported. When I tried to save the game in the art gallery courtyard, it wouldn't save. The screen froze and I got an Error: Access violation at 0x027AC620. Since then I'm getting screen freeze every time I try to load a game. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, but no joy. I was really enjoying the game too, so it's doubly annoying.

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 12:32:04 PM PST

technical difficulties

[Post New]by DithyllyktDoc on Jul 12, 12 12:03 PM

Everyone,

This is caused by having too many save games (more than 16. Like someone said earlier, it's a linear game, so after 16 game saves, it won't hurt to go back and overwrite your first)

1) Find your CoM folder. (in windows 7 it's c:\users\username\Documents\CoM - XP should be c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\CoM)

2) To be safe, we'll save all the existing save games. Create a folder under the CoM folder called whatever you like, I chose "Saves July 2012" then move all files ending in .tos & .png into that folder. Your CoM folder should have only game.setup now.

3) Take a look at the files you just moved. (view list, sort by type makes this easiest)
Do you have an equal amount of .Tos and .Png? if not, you probably have a .tos that doesn't have a matching .png. This is because the last gamesave before this one was corrupt and the game crashed when you attempted to save this game, and it failed to write the .png file.

4) Example. Your last successful game save files are sav0035.png & sav0035.tos.
there is a sav0036.tos, but no matching .png. Delete sav0036.tos as it's no good to you and cannot be used. sav0035.tos is corrupted. Don't use it. go back to sav0034.tos and sav0034.png and copy both of those files back into your CoM folder.

5) this means any progress in the game after your sav0034 will be lost, but there is no other way around this. you'll just have to go over those same steps again to move forward. (if you find that the game still crashes, keep going backwards through the save files until you find where the sav files are not corrupt. so if after putting sav0034 files into the CoM folder, you start the game and restore from that now only existing save, then when you save the game still crashes, go back and get rid of the sav0034 files from the CoM folder and this time copy in sav0033 files and try again.)

6) As a test to see if this worked, start the game and restore from the now only existing save game shown. Move to the next room and try saving. if it works, moving forward make sure to only save 16 games, then go back and overwrite the first for your 17th.

-Doc

MRSKING05
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

technical difficulties

[Post New]by MRSKING05 on Oct 14, 12 9:31 AM
DithyllyktDoc wrote:

i don't save on a different box, i always re-write over the selected window. I am not understanding why i am having to re-start this game all over...i have been playing for 2 days now!

Go to: