Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 25, 09 1:38 PM
The Collector's Edition is the surprise. The standard version will be along in December and you can use your standard credit then.

[Post New]by christinesav on Nov 25, 09 1:55 PM
I can now say that I was one of the lucky BFG members who was offered a beta test on Dire grove, so I had an hours advantage when I started the game and knew in advance how good it was going to be!
I bought immediately this morning 9.00am UK time and have had a wonderful day.
Thank you BFG for a classic game and hours of wonderful enjoyment.

In the Test I did spot the spelling mistakes ( matress) and comment on that, but maybe BFG had more important things to address. never mind, as it doesn't spoil the game.

Congratulations on a superb game that has got the brain cells working again !!

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Nov 25, 09 2:01 PM
I didn't think it was possible to beat RTR... wow, you guys rock.

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 25, 09 2:18 PM
Fantastic game, beautifully done and the story line was just the right balance between fantasy and reality. Loved the ending as well which was a bonus as so many games have disapointing endings. The CE seems to be great value for money, have finished the game once but there are loads of things to go back and look for so I'll be busy for a while.

If I can join the nitpickers though, ICE FISHING?????? Even in North Yorkshire we don't get even nearly enough ice for an ice fishing hut, I know the banshee was making it very cold but she'd not been released long enough for someone to come along and build on the ice!!!

naedebpat
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by naedebpat on Nov 25, 09 2:59 PM
Mjr9550 wrote:I am really not happy about the price even though I bought it. I have been a member for years and have paid my dues regularly. I don't understand why the price. I think that if I purchase a game for the higher price, I should receive the disk too! If I purchased it at another site, I would receive the disk AND the download for the same price. I do love BF and all the great games but I don't like the surprise change. I will, of course continue to purchase my games from BF. I just wanted to vent my disappointment.

I totally agree. I've been loyal and also think for the price we should receive the game disk!

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 25, 09 3:06 PM
christinesav wrote:I can now say that I was one of the lucky BFG members who was offered a beta test on Dire grove, so I had an hours advantage when I started the game and knew in advance how good it was going to be!
I bought immediately this morning 9.00am UK time and have had a wonderful day.
Thank you BFG for a classic game and hours of wonderful enjoyment.

In the Test I did spot the spelling mistakes ( matress) and comment on that, but maybe BFG had more important things to address. never mind, as it doesn't spoil the game.

Congratulations on a superb game that has got the brain cells working again !!

How do you get to be a beta tester for the games? I'd LOVE to do that!

kit

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 25, 09 3:12 PM
Hi Kin,

The best way to become a beta tester is to sign up for our newsletter. We choose people at random from the list of newsletter subscribers. If you aren't already a newsletter subscriber, you can sign up by going to the New Releases page on our website. Happy gaming!

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 3:12:53 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 25, 09 3:24 PM
bedheadkg, that was the curse at work. Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) meets the Blair Witch Project?

I wish there had been more and harder mini-games. The two I skipped were for technical reasons (manipulating the game space) rather than difficulty.

There's a huge mileage in this thing though, which you don't appreciate until you finish for the first time and see your achievements.

Bedtime. I will play again!

gr8gonzo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by gr8gonzo on Nov 25, 09 3:31 PM
Haven't finished yet, but really enjoying it thus far. Only one minor glitch (one of the videos wouldn't play - guess I'll see it the second time around). I agree that the mini-puzzles so far haven't been near as challenging as RTR, which I suppose appeases the HOG fans, but is a little disappointing.

Now, if the children will fall asleep early, I can dive back in!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 25, 09 3:45 PM
As usual the graphics are superb, music is great, sounds also great (meaning the background noises), and a challenge as all MCF games are. I don't think this is as much of a challenge as RTR though. Still a great game and well worth spending your money on.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 25, 09 3:53 PM
Mjr9550 wrote:I am really not happy about the price even though I bought it. I have been a member for years and have paid my dues regularly. I don't understand why the price. I think that if I purchase a game for the higher price, I should receive the disk too! If I purchased it at another site, I would receive the disk AND the download for the same price. I do love BF and all the great games but I don't like the surprise change. I will, of course continue to purchase my games from BF. I just wanted to vent my disappointment.

BFG posted (in ones of the posts about what you get in the CE version versus the regular version) that putting out a CE version for $19.95 not only to let us avid fans who are geeky enough to want all the little extras get these extras, but also to help fund further big game projects. They went on location in Argentina and shot film footage! That's not cheap, even if they didn't have to pay for Angelina Jolie! And you don't have to pay the $19.95. Wait until December and pay the regular price. As BFG also stated, you'll get an incrediblly depthful game that cost tons to make at the regular price, thanks to those of us who were willing to pay the extra for the CE version. And let me tell you, this game is soooooo worth it! It's beautiful! Gorgeous! Well done with great intuitive play. Sometimes the hidden object scenes and puzzles don't seem to fit into the storylines of some games, and it's very frustrating. This is certainly not the case with DG. BFG did even better in this regard than they did with RTR. So worth the extra cost! Keep it up BFG!

kit

cadfael
Shark
Shark
10,550 Posts

[Post New]by cadfael on Nov 25, 09 3:53 PM
I have had a very enjoyable day playing Dire Grove. The story line was great along with the acting. The artwork is, as always magnificent. I did think the mini puzzles were a bit on the easy side though. Although, I haven't solved the ones in the bonus play (secret room). Guess I'm spoiled with the difficulty of the puzzles in past games Even though I was expecting spooky scenes, I still jumped in a few places! Dire Grove is definitely up to the standards MCF fans have come to expect. Oh, and the music really adds to the creepiness of the game. There were times when I wanted to look over my shoulder to see if the banshee was lurking around! Got most of the awards the first time through. Going to play again and see if I can get them all. I love the walkthrough imbedded in the game. It's there when you want/need it and doesn't get in the way of game play.

has outdone themselves again!

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Nov 25, 09 4:00 PM
BEING A BRIT AND A LONDONER I THINK I'M ALLOWED TO SAY 'BLOODY HELL' WHAT A GAME! I AM ONLY AT THE BEGINNING OF CHAPTER 2 AND ITS AWESOME ALREADY - I THOUGHT RTR WAS THE BEST EVER BUT MCF HAVE DONE IT YET AGAIN! (NOTHING CAN COMPETE WITH MCF) I KNOW I AM IN FOR SOME VERY TRICKY TIMES ALREADY AND WILL TAKE MY TIME WITH THIS ONE - ITS GOING TO BE A NO. 1 THIS YEAR METHINKS = SO FAR I GIVE IT
GOT TO GET BACK TO IT NOW!
HI TO EVERYONE OUT THERE
ANGIE U.K.

[Post New]by FrankMorgan on Nov 25, 09 4:04 PM
There are numerous chapters in the game. Does it tell you when you have finished one chapter so you know where you are?

[Post New]by r19wing511 on Nov 25, 09 4:17 PM
We bought the game but can't get it to run................any suggestions, we buy Big Fish Games all the time sith no problem.......HELP!!

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Nov 25, 09 4:20 PM
I was disappointed by the short length of this game - it took me less than 3 hours, start to finish.

Games we are required to pay full price on should at least be a decent length.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 25, 09 4:56 PM
absolutely love the game - love the fact that you can flip back and forth between the game and strategy guide (otherwise i'd never be able to get thru the game !) I've been playing pretty much all day (off and on) and still only part way thru chapter 2 ! so will be hours and hours of fun doing this game !

jr7333
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by jr7333 on Nov 25, 09 5:20 PM
I'm having SO much fun playing Dire Grove! But why am I wrapped in two blankets with a space heater next to me turned on full blast??

I am taking my time playing and reading everything twice. I want this to last as long as possible since it will be a very looong year until the next release. Thanks so much to all involved with making and releasing this wonderful game. Got to go make some hot chocolate.............

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 25, 09 5:42 PM
r19wing511 wrote:We bought the game but can't get it to run................any suggestions, we buy Big Fish Games all the time sith no problem.......HELP!!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with Dire Grove. Most technical problems with our games are resolved through our Help pages. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we will do our best to help in the forums, the best way to get technical issues resolved is through our Help pages and through our Customer Support team.

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 5:42:50 PM PST

BBFinesse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by BBFinesse on Nov 25, 09 6:12 PM
Bravo, Big Fish. Great game and worth every penny!

Go to: