scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

Re:Echoes of the Past: Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 29, 09 2:09 PM
I'm gonna need the walkthru <sighs>

I like this much better than Princess Isabella despite that (tho I wish it had the floor plan of the castle like that did). This ain't no fairytale castle even tho it's set in a mythical realm & the best part is there's no annoying fairy LOL The HOs are challenging to find & I about swooned b/c I have never had a HOG ask me for a gorget or a bas-relief b4 so pffft to Mother who said knowledge of such things would never be useful ROFL While there's no jarring modern HOs to spoil the mood, they're definitely not all medieval as per the setting, either, but kudos for trying, anyway. There were no such things as handbags in the Middle Ages, or playing cards as we know them now. And it behooves me to point out the disparity in clothing. King Henry is made up like Charles II in very 17th century dress, as are the children, but the portrait of his son is dressed like Richard III in a 15th century outfit. But at least they weren't in jeans & T-shirts so again, good on em for the attempt even tho they weren't quite on the medieval mark.

Graphix were well done & had the nice ancient castle feeling to them. Music not intrusive at all, I hardly noticed it. Random clicks causes your cursor to explode & fly across the screen for a few secs, so it's not an awful penalty. Hints can be used one after the other & it starts you w/ a generous 10 & you can find mirrors to get more if needed, tho I think once you've found them in a scene they're gone for good from it. Alas it does the MCF thing where it's a pretty wide circle, so sm things can be tough to spot even w/ a hint (I was stumped on the princess's bookmark when I ran out of demo time, where the heck is it?). But there's no reloading, waste em at will. After glancing at the walkthru for some reason the door lock symbols for the treasure rm became embedded in my head, so I snuck in there way earlier than I should've Door locks as well as minigames can be skipped if you're stuck, which means maybe you won't need a walkthru if you choose to skip. Look what Picman started w/ that RTR door lock thing LOL everyone's doing it now. They're not really that tough, either (tho I do see a pipes one coming up).

There goes the Novfest credit

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 29, 09 3:29 PM
I really like this game but I'm not sure about being able to finish it unless I resort to the walk-through. I do like that you can skip puzzles because, if it weren't for that I know I wouldn't be able to finish it. I was able to do one of the puzzles. Otherwise, it's a type of game I really enjoy because of the interactive parts along with the hidden objects. The graphics are really good and nothing appears to be too dark.
I'm not sure about buying, yet, though.

[Post New]by kentuckydee on Nov 29, 09 4:11 PM
This is a great game and was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It took me 3 1/2 hours to complete and was a perfect mix of hidden objects and games. I spent a credit on it and was very satisfied.

enzocat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by enzocat on Nov 29, 09 6:16 PM
I thought this was a very good game. Bought it today, finished it today. Did not need a walkthrough. Finished all except 1 puzzle. The purple thingie....knew what I was supposed to do...but dang...took too long. So I skipped it. Anyway, I liked it.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Nov 29, 09 7:49 PM
Just loved it! Used the walkthough more often than I might have were I not going to be away all next week. I didn't want to wait till next weekend to finish it.

Good mix of HOG and point-n-click adventure. I, too, am getting a bit tired of HOGs but realize they do make a game longer. Thought it was a good length. Good graphics, good story, good everything!

Very happy. Made up for havinbg to wait for the next MCF.

spunkypunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by spunkypunk on Nov 29, 09 7:57 PM
I also am thoroughly enjoying this game and am taking my time so I don't have to resort to buying another, before this month is over. No complaints, here!!

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Nov 29, 09 11:32 PM
yup, we have a winner. Gonna purchase for sure.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Nov 30, 09 4:35 AM
Just finished this game - took me a little over 3 hours but like most of the fishies here, loved it, the graphics were great, music was ok and game play was a little challenging, enjoyed the mini-games. I did have to resort to the walkthrough a couple of times. Great game thats

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Nov 30, 09 9:43 AM
Knew I was going to buy it after reading all the great reviews, but did the demo anyway, and after about 10 min. quickly hit "buy now!" I love the music and sound effects, and much to my disbelief, I have done the mini-puzzles w/o any help, from the walkthrough OR my daughter! Not saying they are easy, but with a little thought very do-able. Taking my time and enjoying the ride. What fun! Will keep me busy until the reg. version of the new MCF comes out. Thank you !!

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Nov 30, 09 9:57 AM
I will take a chance and by this game based on what i read here . Enjoy the mix of -hog-ihog walking around (snoking )RTR was good and so was DG. If all this people like i trust them in this.

teacup1951
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by teacup1951 on Nov 30, 09 10:04 AM
Loved this game!

mammadenny
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by mammadenny on Nov 30, 09 11:05 AM
Ditto to all the positive reviews posted before me. Denise

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 30, 09 1:01 PM
I was very exciting to play this new game after reading the many good reviews about it. But the game doesn`t impress me much. The graphic is not very good, clues are very easy to find and the puzzles are easy. It is nothing like RTR for me. RTR is far away from this. From another planet. I give this game 3/10

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 30, 09 1:11 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I loved all the cunning details like the gargoyles that suddenly moved and stared at you, or whose eyes turned red and met yours. The hidden objects were integrated into the game use and as were the mini games and puzzles. All in all delightful. The music was fine, the graphics had some excellent touches (paintings that change, deliciously curved chairs); the overall story line was good. The puzzles varied from simple to somewhat challenging--nothing you'd pull your hair out over, but with enough oomph so that you needed a measure of persistence on some to complete them.

Not only a paws up from the ineffable HoudiniCats (who especially liked the hissing snakes and motoring rats trundling) but certainly an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Looking forward to the sequel.

braedan05
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by braedan05 on Nov 30, 09 4:38 PM
What an enjoyable game! It had just the right mix of difficulty & hidden objects. Graphics were great as well. Not having to waste time going all over but instead using the down arrow to get to the next destination was a huge plus for me. The story was precise & to the point, not having to choose how the conversation unfolds was a nice change.

dspsunrise
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dspsunrise on Nov 30, 09 8:31 PM
Started playing this game and really like it so far! LOVED Return to Ravenhurst! I'm fairly new to Big Fish and would like some suggestions for other games like these two. I also liked the Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy. I don't really like the point and click only hidden object games any more. Thanks for any help!
Dspsunrise

[Post New]by happylabs717 on Nov 30, 09 9:01 PM
Very cool game. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I was able to play most of it without the walkthrough but was glad to have it a couple times. Said to be continued at the end. Can't wait for the next installment. I like the hidden object games intermixed with the puzzles, etc. It was like a good novel that I could not put down. Totally worth buying.

collerton
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by collerton on Nov 30, 09 9:24 PM
Great games. ALMOST as RTR, but not quite long enough. But I did really enjoy it.

[Post New]by queenofgames52 on Dec 1, 09 12:53 AM
Awesome game!! It was quiet a challenge . Great!!! Graphics I just finished it and I am going to play it again to see if I can make better time. It took me 3 hrs30min 47 sec . Graphics are great and game has enough of a challenge to keep it interesting and it wasn't very long . I must agree with others about the hidden object thing. I am pretty bored with those already even though on this game they were pretty easy and interactive. I hope the sequel is different . Thanks BF. Keep those great games coming. P.S About barrel; you have to click it several times until it gets stuck and the oil starts spilling out. Hope this help

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Dec 1, 09 2:27 AM
This is good. It's kind of creepy playing it at night.

Go to: