Re:Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal comments and reviews

[Post New]by booya55 on Dec 9, 09 1:18 PM
haha, I liked the dialogue personally. There was a rooftop scene I remember being pretty good.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 16, 09 12:35 PM
Will pass on this one. I completed the trial hour and the game left me unimpressed. I can agree with most of the previous posts, but want to add that my hog pet peeve affects this sort of game the most: Items that I've found already are back in the scene when I revisit.

I am supposed to be a police sergeant at a crime scene. Now is it believable that there are bullets around that I am picking up, and one day later they are in exactly the same place? Wouldn't they be in the crime lab for investigation by now? Same for any other item in the game. To look over that, the game has to be of Mystery Case Files caliber, which this game is definitely not.

Also, constant reloading for dialog kills any flow the game had.

[Post New]by gossipdude on Dec 16, 09 1:33 PM
I agree. Hopefully they will change the need to have the same items there in the same levels.

Would have to disagree with you though on the dialogue flow. I didn't mind waiting an extra second or two for the dialogue box to come up. The alternative to that would've been a weaker story which is not worth it.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 16, 09 2:09 PM
gossipdude wrote:Would have to disagree with you though on the dialogue flow. I didn't mind waiting an extra second or two for the dialogue box to come up. The alternative to that would've been a weaker story which is not worth it.

Well, gossipdude, I feel this game is quite unique in that way. Others have good dialogue too, but I don't have to wait for it to load. Nancy Drew ones come to mind. I feel those loading breaks for everything is just sloppy programming.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Jan 2, 10 10:57 AM
I'm going to buck the trend with my review of the game. I've played almost the full hour of the demo, and I like it quite a bit. It has a good storyline, and for the most part the dialogue adds to the story. (Although, yes, the voice actress doing the club owner's voice did a horrible Italian accent.) While I agree many of the objects are tiny, since I don't have the best eyesight in the world, I always play HOGs with a magnifying glass, and so I didn't find the small objects too annoying. Also, I had no trouble with load times, and even managed to get the "Trigger Happy" achievement. I thought the game flowed quite well.This is definitely a game I'm going to keep on my 'buy' list.

/

Edited on 01/02/2010 at 12:29:04 PM PST

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Jan 2, 10 11:20 PM
I bought this game and have just finished playing it this evening. It took me about 3 hours, from start to finish. Like most players, I wasn't really impressed.

Many, if not most, of the items in the scenes are so small and dark that even with the magnifying glass you have to use a hint to find them. Thanks goodness the hints regenerate quickly. Some things are about the size of the tip of the pointer arrow and are hidden in dark areas! Sometimes all that is showing is a very small piece of the full item and that is crammed up against the very edge of the scene in a dark area, making it impossible to tell what the thing is even when you find it! I kept having to look at my list to see what I'd found, which is an insane way to play a HOG.

The hints are odd in that they show a bright green circle that flashes off and on. The teeny item is somewhere within the larger circle. This is a very poor way of handling hints. The flashing is hard on old or tired eyes and people with floaters should be aware that it makes it hard to see afterwards. I know. I have floaters and for a few seconds after the flashing green circle, I couldn't see much and often had to turn away from the screen to regain better sight. That was annoying, but at least it gave me an area to search in, even if I had to turn away, then come back to do that. Not that showing the area helped much. Mostly I click-click-clicked my way around until the item was found because that was the only way I could find some things.

I also did not enjoy waiting for the circling blue dots to bring up dialogue on something I'd found. I did want to see/hear the dialogue, because it was the story, but I didn't need to hear it as soon as I found an important item. The comments could have waited until the end of the scene, if that's the way dialogue was going to be handled. Or have it come up faster. I'm not sure why, in this day of quickly moving games, that these developers have such slow loading scenes. Perhaps they need to look at that and make some changes.

The story is what kept me playing the game, although the end is rather abrupt and... how do I say "silly" in a positive way? LOL Unless I know for certain that a game in this series has different mechanics, I won't be buying another one.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jan 9, 10 11:54 AM
I played the full hour, but with difficulty.
Cons:
The screens were slow to refresh.
Couldn't click to fill conversation box... had to wait for each character to finish speaking.
'Next' box did not light up letting you know you could click on it and not miss anything.
Repeat scenes, repetitive objects to find.
Objects were either very very easy or really difficult.
Some scenes such as the car wreck were impossible to find the objects.
Mini games were overly simple.

Pros:
I thought the graphics were pretty good.
The story line was very well done, if slow.
No penalty for random clicking.
Hints refreshed quickly.

Bottom line, I will not be purchasing this game because the cons far out weigh the pros.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jun 4, 11 2:45 PM
i do like this series but a portion of each **** puzzle is in the dark or shadow and i like to play not get new tools for each game....i liked part one better i think

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 9, 11 3:46 PM
This had HUGE potential. I got all excited when I saw how this was played. Unfortunately I was mislead. There is a game called CSI: 3rd Dimension that is the best game I have ever played and I thought this would be along that line. This was just a glorified hidden object game with object so small and obscure you couldn't even find them with the magnifying glass. Luckily the hint refills very fast. There is not enough interaction. I don't like having to repeat the same scenes looking for the same objects.
Not a game for me.

Would like to see Big Fish get the CSI: 3rd Dimension games. Very much like the show and very interactive.

Go to: