penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

Re:The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by penrose47 on Dec 5, 09 9:08 AM
ldevine wrote:I have to address all of us who have phobias. I think it is more the norm than unusual to fear something..... For some snakes, others cockroaches, heights, water, I can go on. Mine is spiders. My brother put a large one in a coffee cup when we were children and then threw it on me. However, I play games all the time that have spiders in them. As others have said, these are just games. Not real spiders, snakes or cockroaches.

I consider it a minor form of therapy to have to deal with the creature I most detest in the game format....but...will still ask someone else to deal with the spiders I meet in real life

I like this game and am considering purchasing it. I like it that you can switch characters and that some of the mini games are those I haven't seen in a long time. I, too, appreciate well done graphics and music one can tolerate throughout game play. I often turn off the music when it gets tiresome - so far have been able to keep it on.

I AGREE>>>>> "SPIDERS" ....I even HATE the little house ones! YYEEEEEK!! If my bro had threw one on me I would have killed him.. Or he wished he never was born!

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Dec 5, 09 9:14 AM
ldevine wrote:I have to address all of us who have phobias. I think it is more the norm than unusual to fear something..... For some snakes, others cockroaches, heights, water, I can go on. Mine is spiders. My brother put a large one in a coffee cup when we were children and then threw it on me. However, I play games all the time that have spiders in them. As others have said, these are just games. Not real spiders, snakes or cockroaches.

I consider it a minor form of therapy to have to deal with the creature I most detest in the game format....but...will still ask someone else to deal with the spiders I meet in real life

I like this game and am considering purchasing it. I like it that you can switch characters and that some of the mini games are those I haven't seen in a long time. I, too, appreciate well done graphics and music one can tolerate throughout game play. I often turn off the music when it gets tiresome - so far have been able to keep it on.

I hear you all on the phobias. Mine is spiders and its MAJOR. I haven't found a game yet that didn't have at least one in it....but if they are stationery then I can manage to click on them and look away till they are safely stored. Where there are moving ones, it drives me batty. I manage to play, but it gives me nightmares for a few nights. My daught made me one, many years ago, from pipe cleaners and egg carton bits....After 30 odd years she still remembers that I wouldn't take it.!!

This games sounds interesting however, and since I like snakes (Thankgoodness, they eat spiders!!) I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the reviews guys.

kalalika
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
465 Posts

[Post New]by kalalika on Dec 5, 09 9:45 AM
Really enjoyed the demo - any replay value with this game or are things in the same spot. Trying to decide if I buy whether to continue where I left off when demo ended or start a new profile.

[Post New]by LadyJo007a on Dec 5, 09 10:14 AM
I really enjoy the forums and love to read what other say about the games while I download the previews. I also have a huge phobia where spiders are concerned, but what is great is where I have to find a spider and can click on it and watch it vanish. Such power is great.

Thank you to everyone who puts their thoughts in about the games. I'm still waiting for this one to download to I can try it, but am really looking forward to trying it after reading what has been said about it. Watch out snakes, spiders, bugs, and anything else I don't like, my trusty clicker is coming.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Dec 5, 09 10:23 AM
bribling wrote:Gorgeous Graphics got me to try this despite it's huge size. The endless Hint renewal Kills it for me. I find List items difficult to see.

Also, I am finding the butterfly annoying. It stays there flapping, I click on it, get a message and it is still flapping. I click on it and get the same message. It does not stop flapping or go away. How do I know when it has something else to tell me?

I find the visual problems I have along with the endless loading of Hints a killer for me. I love the graphics, am intrigued by the story but sorry, "No Sale!"

I beta tested this game and told them the same exact thing especially about the ANNOYING butterfly. Once you clicked on it and got the information, it should stop fluttering and blinking. I also thought the objects that you were to find were the most difficult to see. I didn't think this would do well if they didn't clean that up. I also thought that the grandma looked like a dude dressed in drag....haha...jmo.
Another writer said they couldn't think of the second mislabled item, it was a chisel that you were looking for which turned out to be a perfume bottle.
Knowing now that the things that I didn't like about the game are still there, this is definately a no buy.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Dec 5, 09 10:40 AM
ilove2sew wrote:I

This is my first review so please be kind.

Ila in Maine

Good job with the review. I too tend to turn off the music, except when beta testing. I shall give this game a try because of your good review -- . Not really, I try them all away and usually make up my own mind. Though, my mind does "listen" to the reviews of others. I'll ofter my opinion after playing. I'm off to fix dinner for 15 folks, so no time to play until they leave later this evening. I can't wait to play. Sometimes other things just get in the way of having fun!!! -- LOL

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Dec 5, 09 10:46 AM
Airmid wrote:
I hear you all on the phobias. Mine is spiders and its MAJOR. I haven't found a game yet that didn't have at least one in it....but if they are stationery then I can manage to click on them and look away till they are safely stored. Where there are moving ones, it drives me batty. I manage to play, but it gives me nightmares for a few nights. My daught made me one, many years ago, from pipe cleaners and egg carton bits....After 30 odd years she still remembers that I wouldn't take it.!!

This games sounds interesting however, and since I like snakes (Thankgoodness, they eat spiders!!) I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the reviews guys.

Hey Airmid, that's funny, I like snakes too, but I can't STAND spiders. I don't even like looking at pictures of them. Echoes of the past was a good game, but I could really have done without all the MOVING spiders. YECCHH!

Remember the movie "Arachnaphobia"? The tag line was something like "Even if you're afraid of spiders you'll like this movie". Yeah, right. Clearly they had no idea what they were talking about. (And no, I didn't watch it and never will, LOL)

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Dec 5, 09 11:17 AM
Ever since I moved from the city to the country,
thankfully, I have no snake or spider phobias,
As far as the game is concerned, looking at the large file.
I thought that I will be getting lost taking wrong paths
and unable to find where I have been before......(My speciality).
Lucky for me, so far it*s pretty obvious and the game does not let you
leave the scene until you do everything.

Graphic are great (clear),
hidden objects are small, but not junkpile, so findable.
(I am one of the few people who cannot play RTR, because
I don*t see the hidden objects)

So far I used hint only once and skipped one minigame.

Needless to say, I bought the game.

4 out of 5

*Second day, I must edit my demo impression.
There is a lot of ways to get lost and no matter how many times I go to the meeting place, I forget to exchange some vital thing.
The above said, the game still holds my interest

Edited on 12/07/2009 at 4:23:19 AM PST

nec912
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Help!!! Why can't I find the lamp?? any help??

[Post New]by nec912 on Dec 5, 09 11:27 AM
I am stuck already and can't find the lamp.....any help?

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Dec 5, 09 11:29 AM
ComputerCharm wrote:Thanks for the great review. Before I learned some fish were wizzes at games I use to buy games on hours of play by their quickness. Can't remember which game now I tried way back when. What took some fish to do in 4 took me 12. Mainly I think because I read everything, try not to use hints, try not o skip mini-games and wander everywhere.
So thanks for a timeline for us average players.

Charm

p.s. I have sewn all my life and to give it up a few years ago

I agree Charm. One thing I do also: when doing a game in relaxed (untimed) mode, I make myself find the items in the order they are on the list. It just adds a little more challenge.
Love

slinkysmom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Dec 5, 09 12:07 PM
midnightsammie wrote:I really like this game have played the trial one an will buy it.having a big problem with finding the snake placque that goes on the cement block. cannot find it anywhere.please help.

The snake placque idol does not become available to you start the journey of the second person. He finds it and then you are given instruction on how to get it to the snake temple.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Dec 5, 09 12:13 PM
Played the demo for 20 minutes and bought. I am lovin it. Graphics are great and the concept of trading items back and forth between characters is a very interesting and clever idea. I also do not rush through games, but take my time and read and look at everything. In my mind, well worth the money. WTG BF.....

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Dec 5, 09 12:24 PM
This game is great! Excellent graphics, good music. I love the different people you need to play.

Hidden objects are not junk pile and are located where expected. Great mini games that make you think but not make you feel entirely frustrated.

If you haven't tried the game... its worth a look.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Dec 5, 09 12:49 PM
I am playing this game. I just took a quick break to come here and post my opinion. I feel sorry for those who cannot download it. I had no problem other than the amount of time it took, about 40 minutes, an incredibly long time for my computer. I like this game because it is different. Folks who come up with new ideas deserve to be rewarded, I believe. The puzzles are unusual and not all that difficult. The bigger puzzle is figuring out the puzzle directions! I was in the mood for something different today and this game is it. I agree that the graphics are very good. I cannot comment about the music as I never listen to it. Not much time to play though.

GO GATORS !!!!!!!

Edited on 12/05/2009 at 12:54:03 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 5, 09 1:01 PM
Wow! This is a pretty big game but, after reading the reviews, I will play the trial.
It sounds like a good game. I'll let you know what I think after I've played it. By the way, considering phobias, my biggest ones are heights, roaches, and those big "wood" spiders that are pretty common where I live, it seems. (Florida). Once I opened my night-stand drawer and one jumped out. It scared me to death!! I have no idea how it got in there! YUCK!!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 5, 09 2:26 PM
I played the trial and I like it pretty well but I wasn't as into it as I am some games. I had no technical problems and no problems playing the game. The graphics are really good and the music is pleasant. As far as whether I would buy it, I'm not sure. Due to the size of the game, I want to wait until the regular version of Dire Grove comes out so I can see what size it is. As far as help in the game there seems to be plenty of that. The hint button refills a bit on the slow side but it's not slow enough to be a problem in the relaxed mode.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Dec 5, 09 3:04 PM
I was asked to beta this 3 days ago so imagine my surprise when it showed up as TGT this morning. It doesn't seem like they ever planned on making any changes.

Like many of you, I commented on the butterfly just sitting there after I clicked on it and read it's information. It's too bad they didn't allow themselves enough time between beta testing and release to actually make changes to this.

Also, I feel the same as the many of rest of you about the spiders & snakes. But for some reason I don't seem to be as bothered by them in a game or on-screen as I am in real life. Even movies bother me more, maybe because of the high-defnition wide screens these days!

Generally, though, I thought this was an interesting and creative game with some very original elements and I particularly liked the fact that you play as multiple characters.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Dec 5, 09 3:07 PM
Hats off to anyone who can finish this game in 2 hours. I've played for 50 minutes, reading everything, and i'm only about to start the third person journey. The graphics are beautiful but there's something about this game that doesn't grab me. Maybe it's the characters being children... And I don't like King Cherai and his comments. The music is pleasant, but without voices and ambient noise, I usually don't listen while I play.

I agree with others about the mini games. They are interesting without being nightmarish to solve. The game is almost too easy, but I did notice in the options that it can be played in advance mode. That means I will be playing it a second time in advance mode. And despite the irrating butterfly, I will definitely buy this game.

I don't have phobias other than being afraid of the dark, but I am very afraid of Parktown Prawns. They can grow very big and they jump. Google them to see a picture. And finally, thank you for your review ILTS.

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Dec 5, 09 4:17 PM
Barry_B wrote:
Sadeyed wrote:I'm quite enjoying this game so far, but I can't get it to play in full screen which is frustrating. When I click the "Full Screen" option it moves the windowed screen to the top left hand corner of my monitor and takes away all the borders.

Wonder if it's anything to do with me having 2 monitors attached to my pc?

Nothing to do with 2 monitors as I have only 1 monitor and I can't get the game to go full screen either, I use a Samsung 24" Widescreen LCD.

You would have thought this problem would have cropped up in BETA testing, hope they get a fix out for it!!

....I played the whole hour of demo but had a hard time getting through it - the movements were so jerky I got sea sick... this happens sometimes with games and it keeps me from buying them. I don't know why it happened but it was really annoying and interfered with what looked like a good game. Oh well!! Onward to the next fun HOG!
Happy gaming fishies
gailfriend

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Dec 5, 09 7:26 PM
I played the timed, "advanced mode with no help"...I felt like it practically led me through the game. "Here's a door, you probably need a key"..um, yeah. Would hate to see what the "relaxed, plenty of help," would have been like. I like to have to think for myself and this game didn't do that for me. No go for me.

Go to: