Re:Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 6:47 AM
Pepper010 wrote:I liked it, quirky little game. The only thing that really drove me nuts was the use of the opening and closing camera lens as you move from scene to scene, with yet another stop on the promo/title screen.

Yea, some of the wording is quirky, not only spelling but also use of words that are different in English--and various kinds of English. For example: biscuit, which means biscuit in America, cookie or sometimes a "digestive biscuit" (a type of cracker) in Brit English, but in the game was applied to--ta da! A dessert that was either pie or cake, wasn't quite sure. So I've decided to view the linguistics as part of the charm.

I liked the "find the difference, then put it back" game. Didn't enjoy the color-linking marble game, but they gave me the option to skip.

It's a good storyline, not too much dialogue, and has good, interesting, historical facts. So I bought it.

Thank you, Pepper for you brief review.
You should excuse us for (sometimes) strange word's usage cause it isn't matter of my everyday correspondence and our English corrector probably use biscuit just like we do (he is from Boston).

Regards, Eugene.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Dec 10, 09 6:49 AM
I didn't really care for this game. Even though it had a few diff. games mixed together the story line didn't grab me and most of the mini games were way too easy and that means that I got board. If you like it this game good for you, but it seams like a wast of money to me.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Dec 10, 09 6:51 AM
Eugene, since there is no walkthrough on this game, as one of the developers could you let us know how many chapters there are in this game? I like to get an idea of the length before I purchase. Also, my opinion of this game is so far so good. I made it to the beginning of chapter three on my hour demo and am really enjoying it. Some of the objects were very difficult to see but the hint timer refills quickly, which is nice. Also, the skip without penalty is another bonus for me. If the length looks good, I will probably buy.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 6:53 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I really like this game!

Pros:
- Very good graphic
- No tiny items (I have glasses and I can easily see every clue)!
- Nice idea with the moveable screen
- All Items are good to see

Contra:
- Not very interesting story

I will wait for the blog walkthrough to see the levelamount (I have finished almost 1 chapter in 30 minutes) and if has a good gamelength, I will buy it.

Well done, ! /

Thank you, Eisteepfirsich for your review
I'm sure you'll find something interesting in journal reading historical background of Templars and Holy Grail.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Dec 10, 09 6:53 AM
For me I hate having to use two hands to play a hog...That is a big issue for me....thats why I only played 15 min. of it....perhaps the scrolling was the real reason I did'nt care for this one., or maybe it was the fact that it was 6 am..I will go back & try again ...but can't make promises .

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 10, 09 6:56 AM
No problem, Eugene, the word usage to me is interesting because a) I'm multilingual (including one Native American language that very few speak any more) and b) I enjoy linguistics. The use of the word "biscuit" is a good example.

Funny story. Years ago, when I was managing a very large, 24/7 technical editing shop (try translating a lot of tech stuff into readable stuff for executives, wow!) I worked extensively with many British naval officers and scientists. So I learned a lot more Brit English. At one party, one of the guys said "Today I pulled into the petrol station and saw the sign--pump it yourself. And I thought my, those Yanks are quite forward, aren't they?" (warning, that's an adult joke, people).

Language is fun. In the Native American language I mentioned, words are built on other words. So "cookie" is said by using the word for bread, then adding in the word for sweet, then adding in the word for little. little sweet bread=cookie.

Hate to show off my geekiness, but my fav language is Latin, which I studied in high school and college. Makes so much sense--and after Latin, understanding etymology and words in entire families of languages is much easier, and more fun.

Want a really hard language? Try Mohawk,of which I know and can use quite a few words. Man, that one is HARD, the way the sounds change. Even harder? Apache. There are at least six different dialects, and how a portion is sounded can change.

OK, I'm done now. But I love linguistics!

[Post New]by gooddragon38 on Dec 10, 09 6:57 AM
I haven't tried it yet but will. Just popped in to say that IMHO sometimes trying to guess what the objects are (like the "swab" for "mop") adds to the fun of the search. Kind of like when they do it on purpose in some games by giving clues to the item instead of just saying what it is.

[Post New]by myst_read on Dec 10, 09 7:01 AM
I am very uncomfortable with the exchange between the developer and some of the fishes and BF I don't think you should of allowed it. He must know that any comment made after he explained about the making of his game won't get his game sold.

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Dec 10, 09 7:06 AM
[b] I played the game for an hour. Sorry, but I didn't care for this game. Will save my credit.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 7:08 AM
myst_read wrote:I am very uncomfortable with the exchange between the developer and some of the fishes and BF I don't think you should of allowed it. He must know that any comment made after he explained about the making of his game won't get his game sold.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to catch your thought.
I don't explain anything about making the game. I just explained the origins of player's questions.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 7:10:00 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 10, 09 7:08 AM
Myst, a different viewpoint here. I appreciate the fact that the developers cared enough about their customers to spend the time and effort to read here, take in what we said, and reply. That's a very good sign of a good developer and vendor, I think.

I'd like to hear more from more developers, actually.

And establishing good relationships with customers, and being accessible, is a great way to build brand loyalty, too.

I really can't imagine any reason why a developer should be stopped from replying to the customer base.

klsuch
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by klsuch on Dec 10, 09 7:11 AM
Anyone having a problem with having no mouse pointer

planetlove
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by planetlove on Dec 10, 09 7:17 AM
Pepper010 wrote:Myst, a different viewpoint here. I appreciate the fact that the developers cared enough about their customers to spend the time and effort to read here, take in what we said, and reply. That's a very good sign of a good developer and vendor, I think.

I'd like to hear more from more developers, actually.

And establishing good relationships with customers, and being accessible, is a great way to build brand loyalty, too.

I really can't imagine any reason why a developer should be stopped from replying to the customer base.

Pepper, I was just about to reply, and you took the words out of my mouth. I think this interaction with Eugene is interesting and insightful to read.

I would also like to add that in our country we often don't have a real appreciation for speaking a foreign language and the challenges involved. I also found the odd language quirks a lot of fun and quite charming. And just for a slight FYI, being a proofreader in my own line of work, there are more spelling and grammar errors on the few posts I've read than I'd care to mention. I'm afraid we are not experts even in our own language, much less a foreign language.

Eugene, my hat off to you for participating in the dialog and so gracefully addressing all the reviews, pleasant or not. I want to thank you for making the "compare the difference" game so interesting. I usually find these boring, and I had so much fun with your variation on the theme. Keep creating those games! We sure love to play.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 7:23 AM
Thank you, planetlove
I'm sure most of players are so well-wishing as you are.

I hope that some will find interesting moments in game mechanics (like differences), some - in storyline. There is really strong historical background.

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Dec 10, 09 7:29 AM
I will throw in my two cents...I think it is great that Eugene is taking the time to share his comments while taking our comments into consideration. Sounds like the makings of a great HOG developer to me.

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Dec 10, 09 7:30 AM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:Hi, I'm Eugene one of JA's developers (actually one of two ).
Thanks to everybody for attention. I'd like to answer some common questions I saw.
1) Tiny objects - we made our best to evade tiny objects problem. Even in case the object is small, there is safe area around - you shouldn't be a sniper, just click close to this object.
2) Bad spelling - I apologize if there is screaming mistakes! We aren't native speakers (Although all textes were under native speaker correction). So you should excuse us when we use one of possible word's translation (I'm talking about swabs and mobs). Hope it will not be a cause to miss interesting story and gameplay we made
3) About hardware problems - this game was tested a lot, so I'm sure (especailly if you meet similar problems with other game) you should ask for technical help for your PC.

Hi Eugene_Duranin

I think this a lovely game, I don't have very good eye sight, and I am not having problems finding the objects. I also like the way that as you scroll across the scene, you can tell by the list changing to bold if it is in that part. The mix of puzzles is very good. Yes, I had a problem looking for a swob, but now I think of it I have heard of that in England. I have had a smile at a few of the spellings, even the English and the Americans spell things differently, and use different words for items.

The storyline is good, and the graphics are very clear. Forgot to say that I have bought it.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 7:37:15 AM PST

[Post New]by WenckeBrat on Dec 10, 09 7:31 AM
I found this game very interesting. I particularly enjoy reading the historical aspects of the knights of templar.

I usually despise the find the differences and will skip them if at all possible, but I really enjoyed the way this game has this set up.

As far as the scrolling screen, it is very easy to move from side to side and it doesn't have that 360 view that makes me sea sick. Also, having the objects that aren't in view grayed out is very helpful. I have played HOG's with scrolling screens and have spent a long time looking for something only to find that it wasn't even in the area I was viewing... talk about frustrating.

I hints refresh a lot faster than some of the other games I have played (usually those are timed and the hint doesn't refresh in time).

I only have one question, how many chapters are in this game. I hate buying a game only to play for 30 minutes more and have the game complete.

And I would also like to express my thanks to Eugene for coming to the forum to answer questions about the game.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Dec 10, 09 7:37 AM
why does B.F. have to go to other countries to get games? Aren't there enough American developers to use? There's no excuse for bad English if you intend to sell in this market.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 7:38 AM
As developer, I'd like to say thank you for interest you have.
Despite all critisism (sometimes I completely agree with), I'm sure that this game is able to bring some fun hours (how much? depends on player's experience) to you (who will download it and play it).

Talking about dialog between customer and developer, I must say that, personally, I'd like to gather lot of opinions. Some changes could be inserted into this game (we'll sure update it today with some fixes), some - I'll bring with me to my next games Thank you, again!

[Post New]by fiazrzayn on Dec 10, 09 7:40 AM
Really didn't like this one. BAAAAAADDDD grammar and spelling, and as others have stated, things aren't what they are actually named. A rake was a broom, a biscuit was a slice of cake, etc. Plus, they seem to have the exact same graphics in almost every scene. You'll be very familiar with flowers, butterflies, and masks very quickly. I only played the hour demo, and made it almost to the end of the 3rd chapter - waaaay too easy. A few nice twists as others have mentioned, such as putting together photos and then finding objects from 3 overlapping frames, but not worth the horrible grammar, pidgen English, and ease of play. Save your money.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 7:41:36 AM PST

Go to: