Re:English is a hard language Eugene Duranin did great

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 5:30 PM
lmf40 wrote:English is a hard language and Eugene Duranin may have done great but whoever was supposed to proofread the game and provide corrections did not.

For me the issue is that the developers had someone else proofreading and making corrections for them - maybe incorrectly I am assuming that they paid this person to do it for them. If they did pay this person then they got ripped off and they should be asking for their money back.

Bad spelling and grammar do annoy me but not enough to stop me from buying the game but it is making me skip the storyline because some of the dialogue just doesn't make any sense.

Hi, Imf40!
I'm sure you'll find our storyline and dialogs without really bad grammar (and completely without wrong spelling)! And, of course, lesson about good correction for object names was learned by me!

Best regards, Eugene.

Charkbite
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Charkbite on Dec 10, 09 5:39 PM
I totally agree!

Bought it, love it! Great game, Eugene! And you do English so much better than I know I could ever hope to do in your language

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 5:40 PM
Charkbite wrote:I totally agree!

Bought it, love it! Great game, Eugene! And you do English so much better than I know I could ever hope to do in your language

Thank you, but I must noticed that Russian is much harder than English is!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 10, 09 5:44 PM
I had no problem to follow the hole story with my school english (we learn only britain english at school in Germany) and couldn`t see any language mistakes. You had done a great job, Eugene! I can`t wait for your next game! And thank you so much to stay the hole day in the forum to answer all the questions. I have never meet a developer with so much enthusiasms for his job in a few months.

Edited on 12/10/2009 at 5:49:41 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 10, 09 5:50 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I had no problem to follow the hole story with my school english (we learn only britain english at school in Germany) and couldn`t see any language mistakes. You had done a great job, Eugene! I can`t wait for your next game! And thank you so much to stay the hole day in the forum to answer all the question.

Thank you, Eisteepfirsich too!
I'm glad that you followed storyline cause I think it could be interesting having real historical background!

Eugene.

gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

[Post New]by gringojoy on Dec 10, 09 6:01 PM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:Thanks to all, who put comments and recommendations (as well as propositions)!
I'll get back to propositions after some time - you should excuse me for this delay cause I'm now in "release fever". We are two-person developement team (who made Jane Angel), so I have to solve thousands of problems right now

Best regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Eugene.

Two person team?
You, sir did a wonderful job! And so did the other developer!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the game! Thank you so very much!!
(((hugs))) to you both!
Now you 2 go to bed & AOYP'S! (angels on your pillow(s)!
Thank you for being with us all in BFG forum!
Night my dear friend!

Charkbite
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Charkbite on Dec 10, 09 10:47 PM
Eugene_Duranin wrote:

I have no doubt about that

Terrific game, love the story, the whole idea of moving the picture back and forth and having the object names go from black to grey to light grey is really original. And there's just TWO of you?!! All I can say is WOW!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 11, 09 2:48 AM
Charkbite wrote:
Eugene_Duranin wrote:

I have no doubt about that

Terrific game, love the story, the whole idea of moving the picture back and forth and having the object names go from black to grey to light grey is really original. And there's just TWO of you?!! All I can say is WOW!

Thank you, Charkbite!

I'll also re-tell your greetings to second developer!

Eugene.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Dec 11, 09 8:45 AM
I think this game is visually well done, has interesting and surprising mini-games - and has a fresh bend on the hidden object aspect - yes, I was thrown by words like 'swab' for broom and mop, but really - why complain about that! It just caused me to think differently. That's a good thing. It definately could use some 'tweaking', but really - Rant On - Go read a dictionary if you need precision. We are a small world and if you can't get over something small like this then I wish you luck with bigger, very important international relations! Sheesh... Do you complainers also send off notes to the authors of certain rap 'songs' or country songs when the grammer is a tich off?? Huh, ya'll? Dudes, you are not grading a high school term paper or analyzing someone's dissertation! OMG? (get it?) By the way, I too notice spelling errors and incorrect word usage in newspapers, blogs, etc...and it bugs me. This isn't the same. $6.99 for a few hours of entertainment - well worth it. You can preview and you are not paying twenty bucks - I have at least 80 games under by belt here, so I have some comparison to go by. Rant off - Eugene, I am buying this game and will support you and your partner in the future! Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 8:46:40 AM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 11, 09 9:00 AM
lindawithag wrote:I think this game is visually well done, has interesting and surprising mini-games - and has a fresh bend on the hidden object aspect - yes, I was thrown by words like 'swab' for broom and mop, but really - why complain about that! It just caused me to think differently. That's a good thing. It definately could use some 'tweaking', but really - Rant On - Go read a dictionary if you need precision. We are a small world and if you can't get over something small like this then I wish you luck with bigger, very important international relations! Sheesh... Do you complainers also send off notes to the authors of certain rap 'songs' or country songs when the grammer is a tich off?? Huh, ya'll? Dudes, you are not grading a high school term paper or analyzing someone's dissertation! OMG? (get it?) By the way, I too notice spelling errors and incorrect word usage in newspapers, blogs, etc...and it bugs me. This isn't the same. $6.99 for a few hours of entertainment - well worth it. You can preview and you are not paying twenty bucks - I have at least 80 games under by belt here, so I have some comparison to go by. Rant off - Eugene, I am buying this game and will support you and your partner in the future! Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Thank you, lindawithag, for your opinion!
I'm glad that you like the game we made. One more thank to you for mini-games comment!

Best regards, Eugene.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Dec 12, 09 7:24 PM
After all, who really cares about a few grammatical or spelling mistakes in what is a great game?!

I know what you're saying, but as a professional translator myself (translating into my primary language -- I wouldn't suggest going the other way), when I see such mistakes in what should be a professionally released product, it just irks me something rotten.

Games such as The Broken Clues annoy me beyond anything as it clearly shows that the developers didn't put enough consideration into checking their final product. And this is a problem I see everyday, not just in game but in my chosen field of translation too -- where companies should know better! Which is why I end up caring. It just annoys me, even when I try to remind myself that hiring checkers/translators can be rather costly (especially if you want to ensure quality).

That said, I do try to make exceptions. In this case, I get the impression that this may be Eugene's first commercial release. It also appears to bring some innovation to the genre which has, for some time now, been stagnating a little too much. So I will try to turn a blind eye to any errors in language and see if I enjoy the demo.

If I do enjoy it, you can be sure that I'll buy it -- the story is certainly one that I find appealing for once =).

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 13, 09 4:02 AM
bansama wrote:After all, who really cares about a few grammatical or spelling mistakes in what is a great game?!

I know what you're saying, but as a professional translator myself (translating into my primary language -- I wouldn't suggest going the other way), when I see such mistakes in what should be a professionally released product, it just irks me something rotten.

Games such as The Broken Clues annoy me beyond anything as it clearly shows that the developers didn't put enough consideration into checking their final product. And this is a problem I see everyday, not just in game but in my chosen field of translation too -- where companies should know better! Which is why I end up caring. It just annoys me, even when I try to remind myself that hiring checkers/translators can be rather costly (especially if you want to ensure quality).

That said, I do try to make exceptions. In this case, I get the impression that this may be Eugene's first commercial release. It also appears to bring some innovation to the genre which has, for some time now, been stagnating a little too much. So I will try to turn a blind eye to any errors in language and see if I enjoy the demo.

If I do enjoy it, you can be sure that I'll buy it -- the story is certainly one that I find appealing for once =).

Hi, bansama!
Thank you for your warm comment
I promise we'll pay much more attention for spelling and grammar!

Best regards, Eugene.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Dec 13, 09 5:20 AM
Just to follow up, I've been playing the demo and really enjoying it. Yes, I spotted the errors in English but unlike many games, it hasn't detracted from my enjoyment. And I'm happy to use one of my credits to purchase this game.

Eugene, I look forward to your future games.

[Post New]by WanderingPenguin on Dec 13, 09 7:45 AM
I must admit I came on here ready to complain about the language issues but I stopped to read all the comments first and I am really glad I did. Eugene, it's terrific that you are on here reading all of the comments in order to improve your product. Congratulations to you!

I do have one comment that actually doesn't belong on this thread but I know you're reading here for sure so.... early on we came across a scene where we were looking for a lamp. There was a prominent table lamp in the scene and we clicked on it several times with no success. A little later we noticed there was also a desk lamp in the same scene and this was the lamp we were supposed to find. This kind of ambiguity is a little frustrating, I find. Also, there was a little bit of "pixel hunting" where we needed to find a number 6 and the only one still showing refused to be picked until we hit it very precisely.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the way the object list items went gray when they weren't showing in that portion of the scene. That was good programming for sure.

Keep up the good and hard work and we look forward to your next effort!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 13, 09 7:52 AM
WanderingPenguin wrote:I must admit I came on here ready to complain about the language issues but I stopped to read all the comments first and I am really glad I did. Eugene, it's terrific that you are on here reading all of the comments in order to improve your product. Congratulations to you!

I do have one comment that actually doesn't belong on this thread but I know you're reading here for sure so.... early on we came across a scene where we were looking for a lamp. There was a prominent table lamp in the scene and we clicked on it several times with no success. A little later we noticed there was also a desk lamp in the same scene and this was the lamp we were supposed to find. This kind of ambiguity is a little frustrating, I find. Also, there was a little bit of "pixel hunting" where we needed to find a number 6 and the only one still showing refused to be picked until we hit it very precisely.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the way the object list items went gray when they weren't showing in that portion of the scene. That was good programming for sure.

Keep up the good and hard work and we look forward to your next effort!

Hi, WanderingPenguin!
Thank you for your feedback! I know about problem with one of "six" numbers in airport. Upcoming update will fix it.
I'll track problem with lamps right now. Thank you again (we didn't know about this problem). Hope you enjoy the game regardless of these bugs
Best regard, Eugene.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 14, 09 10:59 AM
We'll rest later and it wasn't hard (to read your comments) cause warm words y'all wrote just gave me strength

Eugene.

Big grin on that one, Eugene!! Wonder where you picked that up for you all. I was raised and educated in the south US and to this day I don't know the proper spelling of the spoken word, or where to put the apostrophe.Probably since it isn't a proper word at all, just very common regional useage. Sometimes seen as ya'll, yawl, so even I feel insecure every time I type it in friendly conversation as y'all as you did. Only irks me when northerners use it to me in speech, I'm just one person, unless they are rightly meaning me and my family or friends being the "all". Sounds sassy or faux southern as in poor acting a southern role and using it as singular.

Yes, it is fun that you call us plural with y'all. And you probably spelled it right but who knows.
Happy Holidays to Y'all, everyone and Tiny Tim too.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 31, 09 5:02 PM
I am so pleased to finally see others voice their opinions about misspelled words and improper names. It irritates me tremendously when I see them in games and will no longer purchase games from companies that do this repeatedly. Everyone makes a mistake occasionally but if you are going to sell your products to the gaming community in this country please have the courtesy and professionalism to get it right. Being from another country is NO excuse for not doing something correctly.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 1, 10 7:32 AM
sleeplady wrote:I am so pleased to finally see others voice their opinions about misspelled words and improper names. It irritates me tremendously when I see them in games and will no longer purchase games from companies that do this repeatedly. Everyone makes a mistake occasionally but if you are going to sell your products to the gaming community in this country please have the courtesy and professionalism to get it right. Being from another country is NO excuse for not doing something correctly.

Hey, sleeplady. Thank you for your repeating advice! I must notice that I never said that there aren't mistakes or it shouldn't be fixed. Moreover, if you'll download update for Jane Angel you'll find these mistakes fixed.

Have a many good emotions this year!
Best regards, Eugene.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on May 8, 10 1:24 PM
If you don't care enough about hiring someone to get the wording and spelling corrected then I do NOT care enough to spend my money on it. Why are you all so anxious to accept mediocrity?!

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Mar 7, 11 9:18 PM
I really liked the game and I usually don't have trouble the the "broken" English. However, this time it did keep me from fully understanding the story so I'm not exactly sure what happened. The game itself had interesting and different gameplay - worth the DD that I payed. I just wish I were clearer on what happened. :-)

Go to: