Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 11, 09 1:00 PM
You can double click on the hands to rotate them.

[Post New]by SirStanley on Dec 11, 09 1:39 PM
sunnny wrote:All I can say:

Thanks , there goes my weekend!

Same to me, just played the demo, great game! And the weather here in Germany is terrible nothing but cold & lots of rain so I can spend time playing... Thanks BF

msblueyes
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by msblueyes on Dec 11, 09 1:54 PM
I just spent about an hour trying to get the sign to morph and the gear shift. I also posted a request to see if someone could tell me how to do this. NOW, I come here and read that there are no morphing objects in this edition so i am wondering why they put it in the walkthrough.

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 1:54:56 PM PST

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Dec 11, 09 2:25 PM
I got the full game downloaded and will start it all over tonight! I love it so far, and can't wait!

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 2:27:41 PM PST

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Dec 11, 09 2:59 PM
as I get more into this game I am liking it less not only are the same scenes used over and over but the same objects

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 11, 09 3:44 PM
I'm so glad Dire Grove is finally here! I just played the demo and so far, I like it very much. The graphics are supurb! I love the snow and the sound of it blowing. It makes it feel cold, even though I'm in Florida. The objects are easy enough to find and the puzzles I've come across are different. I had to skip at least one, though. I will certainly be buying this one but I may wait until I have a credit which I'll get on the 14th-IF I can wait that long! It would have been nice had the morphing had been included in this version but I can live without it. THANK YOU for another great game!!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 11, 09 6:14 PM
Well, I couldn't wait for this game, and I liked it very much...

BUT without the morphing objects, and with the slightly static play, I wasn't sure it was worth the hype.

I think it is well worth the $6.99, and provided me with just under 6 hrs gameplay. HOWEVER: In my opinion, it is nowhere near as good as Madame Fate! The puzzles in DG were too easy, the HOG aspect was simpler, and I feel that, without the morphing items, it was just a bit... well.. flat, and not that much of a challenge.

Having said that, it still remains a good buy for the story and graphics/ sound in my opinion.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Dec 11, 09 6:50 PM
I love my Dire Grove CE but why is everyone talking about Madame Fate? I played that game and didn't see or notice any MORPHS. Where were they? I believe the Morphs in DG CE were an chievement because I nevr got the extras as yet. Will keep trying.

bbelle

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 11, 09 7:06 PM
I just started to play this a few minutes ago but had to stop to check to see if there is a blog walkthrough. So far the game is good, but the spooky music has my Border Collie cross all hyped up. She wants to protect me from whatever bad guys are coming, I suppose. LOL I'm only in the beginning of the game, so haven't really figured out what I'm supposed to be doing at this point. Anyway... enjoy folks! I will be watching for that blog walkthrough. The one in the game doesn't seem to want to open for me. Ah well. On with the game!

ljhiluvbf
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,896 Posts

[Post New]by ljhiluvbf on Dec 11, 09 7:17 PM
I did like the collectors edition better, but my computer was having technical problems with that one. This one seemed to do a bit better on my older computer. May buy it if I get a free game this month. But when I get a new computer someday soon I hope I will absolutely buy the CE!!

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 7:18:34 PM PST

[Post New]by SlyMongoose on Dec 11, 09 8:44 PM
graciethecat wrote:Hey what is the morph thing you all are talking about? I havent bought either game yet but if you think the 19.95 is the better one, Id rather spend the extra. I have played the demo (el cheapo) and LOVE it.

These morphing objects, if memory serves me, first showed up in "Madame Fate." They are objects that change in the scenes, but are oddly hard to spot. You'd think it'd be easy to see an apple change from red to green for example, but they can be overlooked. Trust me, I've missed a few!

I think the CE ($19.95) is worth it because you get the morphing objects and if you find them all, complete all the puzzles and find all the hidden objects with no hints then you get a wonderfully wacky tour of Big Fish Games headquarters (that runs after the end credits finish).

But that's just my humble, addicted-to-MCF opinion.

bitsy1949
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by bitsy1949 on Dec 12, 09 12:52 AM
I bought the collector's edition and loved it. But if this version has closed captioning for the video tape scenes, that would have been a plus for me. On my PC I couldn't understand any of the video tape conversations. It was garbled and skipped, and I was hoping I wasn't missing anything important, but I think I did. BFG could you please add closed captioning for these parts on the collectors edition?

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Dec 12, 09 12:52 AM
I believe the Morphs in DG CE were an chievement because I nevr got the extras as yet.

bbelle, there is only one extra if you get all the achievements. It's a silly, some have called "nauseating" or "insulting" and others "wonderfully wacky", quick and shaky video run-through of the Big Fish office. It clashes with the ambience of the rest of the game (especially the "Benny Hill" music), and it can't be turned off. You are forced to watch it each time you start the game unless you create a new profile and take care not to collect all the achievements (just freeze a scene or something like that).
I will be watching for that blog walkthrough. The one in the game doesn't seem to want to open for me.

ebbalytie, I have not bought the regular edition. Are you really saying that the "Strategy Guide" is pictured in the regular game but doesn't open? What an insult to buyers of the regular edition! Couldn't BF remove that picture?

Also there is a blog walkthrough by Margie B. It is written for the CE, but should work for the regular edition also, though apparently you'll have to ignore some instructions.

I agree that for the CE price we should have received the disk. The cost of making a CD is minimal, so only the postage and handling would be involved. Considering that I have received at different times a fish, a key chain, and a medal (the last two were a surprise), it sure seems that BF could have sent the disk -- AND, my pet wish, a MCF Master Detective business card!

Then again, I wasn't even allowed to buy the disk. The option was checked off when I bought the game and I just assumed there wouldn't be one.

And that's my not humble, but also addicted to MCF opinion!

[Post New]by actorlori on Dec 12, 09 6:42 AM
I downloaded the 60min trial, but my mouse is acting weird when I try to play the game - it is moving erratically around the screen, and I'm having a hard time clicking on objects. Anyone else experiencing this, or have advice?

AndysRJ
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AndysRJ on Dec 12, 09 7:17 AM
sillyfeet wrote:That post about the differences was only put up AFTER the CE was released and everyone had jumped on it. It was never mentioned in the official BF blog about the game back in November.

I personally consider it shady to remove an element like this from a game and water it down for those who will not or cannot pay the extra money; I consider the morphing objects an integral part of the gameplay and suffice it to say I'm pretty angry they removed them from the "el cheapo" version and then tried to play it off like we're all getting the same game when clearly we're not!

I couldn't agree more! Not only that, but I finally had to try the walkthrough and judging by that there is a ton more (including hidden object scenes) that are not inlucded in the regular version! I am so very close to canceling my membership is not even funny. My problem is that now I started the darn game and I'd like to finish the 'entire' game. I'm having a problem seeing my way clear to go ahead and pay for the CE version at this point but I feel like I'm missing out on some of the important aspects of the game. What to do?

[Post New]by JanewayUSS on Dec 12, 09 7:21 AM
Well, just played MCF-DG and must say I was kind of disappointed. The story line was intriguing and the production values outstanding but the level of difficulty was easier, I'd say, then even Madame Fate, let alone RTR. The puzzles were few and not very challenging. I took the time to savor every nuance and aspect of the intersting story line and I enjoyed the game for the five hours I played it. But I was left unsatisfied when the game came to an end and I was still waiting for the one or two tricky spots that might tempt me to even consider using a hint. I'm sorry BFG choose to dumb the game down and wish they would do something to keep those of us who like real challenges engaged.

terry1921
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by terry1921 on Dec 12, 09 10:47 AM
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW DISAPPOINTED I AM!!!

I LOVED Ravenhurst and couldn't wait for the next one. When the big one came out..I counted the days until the club version came out...I bought it yesterday and played my heart out....only to find that the program glitched...I could not get Felix's Sketch...but didn't think anything about it. It just wouldn't come up...even when I went back and did everything POSSIBLE to do...then I took the Kerosene to the hunter's cabin...the second search wouldn't come up....OK, who needs potato chips? When I found all fo the students and tried to get the stone rabbit's head to drop the hammer just kept going back into inventory...so I couldn't go any fruther....

So, I thought it was perhaps my computer...so I downloaded it on another computer..new machine...new download...HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE SAME PLACE..... I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR SCREAM!!

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Dec 12, 09 11:15 AM
I have a question for those of you who are comparing the two, in the deluxe version (which I bought) you can change the comments you get when you try and object on a hot spot. I believe it was encouraging, sweet, and sassy. Is this available on the 6.99 version?

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Dec 12, 09 11:21 AM
Yes it is, April

fudgem
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by fudgem on Dec 12, 09 11:30 AM
there is an option to change the type of comments, why would anyone want to?

I must say I have found this game a disappointment after all the hype, I haven't even been bothered to carry on to the bitter end with it, just scanned down the last chapter in the walk through, and decided I'd had enough.

Go to: