ComputerCharm
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,537 Posts

Re:?? for those who've played both versions of MCF

[Post New]by ComputerCharm on Dec 11, 09 8:19 AM
Sillyfeet, I do have the CE of DG and the morphing items is one of the things I really like about the game. I am sorry if BFG left these out.

Charm

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 11, 09 8:21 AM
A badges and achievements system to add more replay value. By playing the game, you will earn achievements for completing tasks like “Found all 50 morphing objects”, “Completed the game without using a hint” or “Found secret bonus level 1”, etc.

This was in the description of the CE. Maybe it's just me, but this caused me to believe that the morphing objects were intended to be part of the extras included in the CE and part of what I chose to spend the extra money on. As one who did pay the extra, I would have been very unhappy to find that they were included in the 6.99 version.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 8:22 AM
Yeah, it's a major disappointment and who would've guessed they would leave them out. It just doesn't sit right with me. And I don't want to pay $20 for the "full" version of the game when I don't really want all those extras...I just want the game like everyone else got it.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Dec 11, 09 8:27 AM
nykelli1843 wrote:
So, came to the forums to ask this very question. I guess I didn't understand the morphing was only in the CE which led to exta levels or whatever.

That's the whole point. Getting the 50 objects does not lead to an extra level at all, it is one achievement of 10 that leads to getting the extra video, which is a perk of buying the CE.
I'm sorry if you're all miffed, but this is not part of the gameplay and seriously you just want to take everything away from the CE that we shelled out extra for!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Dec 11, 09 8:33 AM
auntann11, non-members cannot access the TGTs.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 8:34 AM
Actually, I don't see it as trying to take anything away from anyone. You all shelled out extra money for "extras"...like screenshots, wallpaper, videos, a strategy guide, a list of achievements/trophies. That sort of stuff. That's extra. Including morphing objects in the actual gameplay is part of the game and I don't consider it extra. Nor do I consider it right or fair that they removed that part of the game for those who chose not to shell out the extra money. They promised the gameplay would be exactly the same for both and it is not.

I don't need no stinking trophy. But I do expect to get the exact same game that everyone else got, and not the watered down version!

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 8:45:28 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 11, 09 8:41 AM
Well let us just stay it would be nice if it was included. It gives somethng extra to look for and do whilst running back and forward between scenes which you have to do many many times.
It can break it up a bit when you see something different you missed last tme.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 11, 09 8:46 AM
sillyfeet wrote:Actually, I don't see it as trying to take anything away from anyone. You all shelled out extra money for "extras"...like screenshots, wallpaper, videos, a strategy guide, a list of achievements/trophies. That sort of stuff. That's extra. Including morphing objects in the actual gameplay is part of the game and I don't consider it extra. Nor do I consider it right or fair that they removed that part of the game for those who chose not to shell out the extra money. They promised the gameplay would be exactly the same for both and it is not.

I don't need no stinking trophy. But I do expect to get the exact same game that everyone else got without having to pay extra for it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the interpretation. I still see that it was made clear that the morphs were part of the extras.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 11, 09 8:53 AM
Well I read it as the achievement or trophy is the extra, not the morphing objects but they must have taken it out for a reason as you would think that would be a bit of trouble to do.

The beta version had morphing objects.

Perhaps they thought they could cut down game crashes or something with them out of the game???

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 8:53 AM
Okay, this is what was posted on their blog back in November:

Collector's Edition, in addition to the bonus game play and extra levels, includes the following:
an in-game contextual strategy guide
a challenge and achievement badge system
a behind the scenes section with concept art
video out takes and much more...

Nowhere does it indicate that any ACTUAL part of the gameplay would be used for these achievements and then subsequently be removed and/or watered down for those who chose not to pay full price for it. (BTW, when I think achievements I think "completing game without hints", "finishing game in X amount of hours" that sort of stuff)

It was only later on....AFTER Dire Grove was released and they had gotten many people to jump on it...that they posted their FAQ in the forum that mentioned the morphing objects.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I consider it shady and unfair and I will continue to rant about it and bother CS about it until I get a satisfactory answer.

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 8:59:57 AM PST

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Dec 11, 09 9:12 AM
monkey is a she yeah i'll have to wait til tomorow. thanks for your help guys!

right i'll stop hijacking now!

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Dec 11, 09 9:15 AM
I also see the morphing objects as part of the game. Maybe if enough people getting the standard version contact CS or post here about it they'll put out an update for the game that will reinstate the morphing objects? Worth a try.

I'll vote for it even though I got the CE.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 11, 09 9:18 AM
To represent the other side, I see the morphing objects solely tied to one achievement, since they aren't doing anything else. The regular edition has no achievement system, ergo no morphing objects.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Dec 11, 09 9:21 AM
Hi folks,

We do apologize for any confusion and I'll be happy to help shed a little light on the subject.

The non-CE version of the game is as it was intended before the decision to make a Collector's Edition. The storyline and any gameplay that effects the storyline are exactly the same and there were no features left out that effect the story progression. The video that is unlocked by reaching achievements is not related to the students or Dire Grove.

A few days before we released the game, we rounded up all of the most frequently asked questions and put them into one thread. As said in that thread, the Collector's Edition of a game is "a special version of a game that is enhanced with additional features." It is also mentioned that we added the badges and achievements system for the Collector's edition and that it includes the morphing objects. The morphing objects were cited as an example of one of the achievements added for the Collector's Edition.

Also, just as a heads up, in order to keep Chit Chat tidy I've gone ahead and moved this thread to the official Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove forum.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

edited to add: I know that many in this thread have already read the Dire Grove: Collector's Edition FAQ, but for those just joining us, I thought I'd include a link to it. Click here

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 9:23:03 AM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 9:26 AM
So what you are saying, Celebes, is that the non-CE version did not include morphing objects and they were added later on to make a CE version to add "achievements". Why, then, did the beta version include morphing objects if they were never part of the gameplay?

Clearly, they were part of the gameplay and were later removed for those who chose not to pay the higher price. Therefore, they were an integral part of the game, since they were included in the beta version. And so now everyone who is buying the cheaper version are getting a "watered down" game. Nice!

[Post New]by XanderTheSlayer on Dec 11, 09 9:52 AM
Okay, here's something weird to add to the mystery:

The review from Jay is Games mentions the morphing items: "especially the return of the lovely mysterious, morphing objects from Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate."

And, at the very end, they also mention this: "This is a review of the basic version, which will be available to purchase in early December. The Collector's Edition, just released on BigFishGames, was not available to review at press time."

Well, I have yet to download the game (only tomorrow for me), but I'm kinda disappointed with this too. It does seems like Big Fish decided to remove these items, and I dunno why (because even without the achievements, and we knew they weren't coming on the basic version, finding these morphing items would still be fun)

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Dec 11, 09 9:57 AM
Features that are found in a game during beta testing are not final and we wanted to ensure that we tested as many in-game features as one time as we could.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 11, 09 9:57 AM
Well there you go! They were clearly part of the game at one point since they were in the beta version AND a reviewer mentioned them as being part of the basic version (whoever that reviewer is).

What that reviewer said is: This is a review of the basic version, which will be available to purchase in early December. The Collector's Edition, just released on BigFishGames, was not available to review at press time. He didn't even play the CE version!!!

So the question becomes...why were they removed? Was it to punish those of us who chose not to pay more money for a bunch of "extras" we really don't need or want? By giving us a watered down version of the game and removing something that was clearly part of the gameplay at one point.

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 10:03:07 AM PST

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Dec 11, 09 10:03 AM
My apologies, I missed the comment right before mine.

The reviewer at Jay most likely had the same beta version as tested by our beta testers which, as I said, included as much in-game content as possible to ensure that it was all tested.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Dec 11, 09 10:13 AM
I also wanted to come back to thank you all for your feedback. We'll always do our best to explain our decisions and answer questions, but whether happy or angry, good or bad, all of your opinions are important to us. They're what help us provide you with better products and better service! I'd also like to thank everyone for remaining respectful and on-topic.

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 10:16:54 AM PST

Go to: