donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by donnasm on Dec 18, 09 6:55 AM
Bought it and am loving it. Also have the CE for Dire and so far, I like Dark Tales much better!

mysteryne1
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by mysteryne1 on Dec 18, 09 7:04 AM
Love this game!! It is as good as Dire Grove was and It takes a while to play! Great value for the price!

[Post New]by Brenasauntie on Dec 18, 09 8:30 AM
This game is very cool but wish i woulda waited for the 6.99 version. This is supposed to have a built in strategy guide like Dire Grove did. Be nicer if I could actually find the darn thing

[Post New]by barrysberries on Dec 18, 09 8:32 AM
I purchased the CE edition because this looked like what I had been looking for since Dire Grove. I am disappointed. I guess I was expecting too much. I think I will wait for a demo in the future. I finished the game in just over 3 hours. The puzzles were too easy, more for an 8 year old and I never needed a hint. I don't mind the challenge of finding cleverly hidden objects, hate the games where you have a room piled up with junk. This game is not junked up, but the objects presented little challenge. I felt this is a better game than most and the graphics were clear but not even close to Dire Grove. Worth the $6.99 but not $20.00.

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revi

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Dec 18, 09 9:55 AM
I really like this game also. I have just finished the first four Chapters. This game is a lot easier than Dire Grove. I have managed to get by without having to use the walk-thru and have not use a hint. Since it is Christmas; I went ahead and brought the CE versions of both Dark Tales and Dire Grove. I am glad I did!

I changed my mind about Dark Tales. This game starting crashing on me after chapter 4 and you had to start from scratch because the save file became corrupt. After further review I believe the game is too short, too easy, and the extra features are not worth the extra money. There are many $6.99 games available that are far superior to Dark Tales.

Edited on 12/21/2009 at 3:29:56 PM PST

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revi

[Post New]by ffpz5989 on Dec 18, 09 10:22 AM
This is the first game I purchased after Dire Grove CE. Dire Grove spoiled me.
But this game is wonderful too. I think it's a very rich, full game with beautiful graphics with lots of very nice hidden object scenes full of sphere, just how I like them to be. I don't like the modern hidden object scenes in some games. If I don't like the hidden object pictures I won't buy the game.

I also like the animations within the hidden object scenes of this game and how you can open drawers or cabinets or lift a lid from a pot to find hidden objects. It's so lovely done.
So beside the puzzles in this game (and there are a lot of them), there's also a lot to see and to do in the hidden object scenes.
I think they did a wonderful job with this game and I'm glad I bought it.

greetings from Amsterdam

Edited on 12/18/2009 at 1:17:19 PM PST

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Dec 18, 09 1:08 PM
I've finished this game and like the majority here loved it. Clear crisp graphics, objects relatively easy to find, mini-games had the right level of difficulty (for me anyway ), storyline was great and the dialogue scenes weren't too long.

Liked the way the bonus material was totally separate from the game itself. Can't wait for the next one.

Thanks another great game

hopieq
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by hopieq on Dec 18, 09 6:45 PM
I thought the collectors addition was supposed to have a walkthrough attached to game just like Dire Grove. I purchased collectors addition of Rue Morgue but I don't have any of the things that the description stated (wall paper, walkthrough etc.) This is the only version you can purchase now correct?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 18, 09 6:55 PM
hopieq wrote:I thought the collectors addition was supposed to have a walkthrough attached to game just like Dire Grove. I purchased collectors addition of Rue Morgue but I don't have any of the things that the description stated (wall paper, walkthrough etc.) This is the only version you can purchase now correct?

Click on the word "extras" above the doorway on the right-hand side of the main menu screen and it will take you right to the strategy guide.

And yes, this is the only version for purchase now; the regular version will be on Big Fish in 2-3 weeks.

Edited on 12/18/2009 at 6:56:17 PM PST

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by lineck on Dec 18, 09 9:57 PM
Brenasauntie wrote:This game is very cool but wish i woulda waited for the 6.99 version. This is supposed to have a built in strategy guide like Dire Grove did. Be nicer if I could actually find the darn thing

The strategy guide is on the front menu good luck

lineck

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Dec 18, 09 10:44 PM
lineck wrote:
Brenasauntie wrote:This game is very cool but wish i woulda waited for the 6.99 version. This is supposed to have a built in strategy guide like Dire Grove did. Be nicer if I could actually find the darn thing

The strategy guide is on the front menu good luck

lineck

So, as with DG, you click on Menu and then the strategy guide is there? Or are there more clicks than that (i.e. 2)?

I'm confused because Margie posted the walkthrough as an answer to this question and that takes some extra steps to get to. Maybe she was having a brain blip and forgot that only the CE with strategy guide is available now.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 19, 09 4:54 AM
sanpry wrote:any one know the download file size?
on this one. thanks might treat myself for xmas, wouldt want to pay this all the time though, happy games to all the fishes.

Its about 346mb, takes about 15 mins to download on fast broadband. Hope this helps!

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Dec 19, 09 6:10 AM
jampony wrote:It sounds like everyone loves the game, but I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. I chose to play in expert mode because I really like a challenge, but the game keeps highlighting hot spots for me with little flashes; I'm even getting sparkles over the hidden object areas. The objects are not difficult to find at all and the puzzles aren't too complicated; I've been playing for an hour and have used only two hints.

My biggest pet peeve is that they put the background sounds on the same track as the music. I always turn the music off because I find it distracting, but in doing so, I lose the fantastic ambient noises like rain, thunder, rustling leaves, etc. so now I'm playing in complete silence. I've been actively boycotting other games that do this.

I'm annoyed with myself for paying the extra money for the collector's edition. I spent the extra for Dire's Grove because I felt like I wanted to support BFG's efforts in making such great games, but I don't believe this game is as good as Dire Grove. If there was a BFG-approved demo available, I would have tried it first and would have known not to purchase it. Lesson learned; next time I'll wait for the demo.

On the plus side, I've already purchased four games this month... two more and I get a freebie! Gotta love all the awesome BFG perks! They definitely make one disappointing game (out of, like, a hundred good ones) worth it.

Hi Fishies
Have to admit this was a big disappointment - for me, if I pay 20 bucks for something I expect something more than a drawn out HOG game with not much interactive stuff. It was fairly easy, though it was pretty long, but still! I wish I had spent the 20 on Dire Grove CE - I bought the regular version and loved it. I usually am happy with my purchases but this one was a mistake, only because of what I paid for it. Oh well!

Gailfriend

zankam
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by zankam on Dec 19, 09 7:47 AM
It took me awhile to download this, but I am very happy with this game. It doesn't run slow on my computer at all, which is a big plus, no dragging, easy to open and quit. The graphics are great! Although it's not very difficult, I find that a plus as I get frustrated easily.
I'm so glad they came out with a new game that I can enjoy over my long holiday vacation. Thanks BF.

k2tog
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by k2tog on Dec 19, 09 10:13 AM
Enjoyable game, very well done.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Dec 19, 09 10:22 AM
Well, I bought it and finished it and now I won't get sucked into a CE again, unless it's for a known and awesome series like MCF. Or Dream Chronicles, or Azada, or several others I can figure will come out with CEs now. However...

...even then, I'm going to wait for the reviews and maybe even the trial.

I'm still glad I got the CE for DG, but that's a one-time thing. Because if BF does something like taking out an element of game play like the morphing objects, or the dream jewels in Dream Chronicles, etc., AGAIN, I'll be mad. Once, it's a mistake. More than that, it's a shame -- up with which I shall not put.

The claim that they are tied to an achievement is silly: so was everything else you could earn a trophy for. Plus, the big bonus office tour was insultingly silly, so the whole achievement system was useless except as a personal challenge anyway.

Subtracting familiar, beloved elements of game play is a low blow. People who didn't care about the moprhs: just wait until all your favorite games start missing expected parts unless you pay 3x more. Don't go any further down that road, BF -- it's not worth the resentment.

However, there's nothing like that in MIRM. The extra scenes are totally separate -- not integrated at all except done in the same style. Not worth 3x the price either. So what will BF do? Concept art: I never look at. Music: I can't figure out how to save it and play it separately and wouldn't anyway. I can't open the doc. file for the novella either, but it's available online.

From my point of view, then, BF will either have to turn out CEs for hotly anticpated games, OR continue to remove formerly expected parts of game play to get me to buy, and in that case I'll soon become so resentful that I won't buy the CE anyway.

OR... BF can come up with real worthwhile extras such as we haven't seen yet. I can't imagine what those might be, but I'm not a game developer/portal. I'm sure they can think of something better than taking away fun elements of games we used to get, or making cheap and silly videos, or any of the current extras.. I never buy the CD, so it can't be that. We already get (got?) bloopers and outtakes with MCF and Nancy Drews, so again, making those extras will eventually make everyone mad.

It's a tough problem. I hope others will keep on buying these CEs and being happy, 'cause otherwise it's back to 19.95 as the regular price for a game you'd want to play

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 10:23:14 AM PST

[Post New]by dpvillalpando on Dec 19, 09 10:22 AM
Sure would be nice if I could launch the game that I just paid for.

Wonder how long I will have to wait for assistance???????????????????

[Post New]by almarcam332 on Dec 19, 09 10:35 AM
dpvillalpando,

I agree! Won't launch for me either, gets half-way and justs stops with an error message. My comp played Dire Grove just fine, but not this one. So disappointing after spending that kind of money. I probably won't do that again either.

sullysdragons
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by sullysdragons on Dec 19, 09 11:01 AM
wrath6 wrote:hi,

i am trying to decide which collecter's edition to purchase EAP or DIRE, is there anyone who has purchased both or played both games that can give me an opinion ? i plan on buying both but can only afford one CE at this time, any and all help is appreciated.

thxs

I've bought both, and I recommend Dire Grove over this one. But if you play Dire Grove, have a blanket handy -- because I swear you will get cold as you play it. The over all feel to it is that good.

Dire Grove took me longer, and I played it through a second time to get everything perfect so I could watch the silly "tour" of Big Fish Games.

This game didn't take me nearly as long to play, and I never felt as engaged with the game as I did with Dire Grove.

[Post New]by summertimefairys on Dec 19, 09 11:23 AM
I will not pay 19.95 for the few extra goodies! Ill wait for the $6.99 verison to makes it debut! Bah!

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 11:26:02 AM PST

Go to: